• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix upcoming games look like they came straight out from the 90s

KàIRóS

-LIVE A LIVE
-Valkyrie Profile 3
-Star Ocean: The Divine Force
-Harvestella Moon
-Final Fantasy VII R
-Final Fantasy XVI
-Dragon Warrior III 2D HD
-Front Mission 1 & 2
-Tactics Ogre R (still unofficial but pretty much leaked)
-Romancing Saga Minstrel Song

This is some serious deja vu going on here guys, are we time traveling right now?

zhYVT0y.gif
nTbKS60.gif
iBUdBqV.gif

Last edited:
I'm really pleased that they are doing this. It's so refreshing compared to the boring AAA output from other devs. The recent SE releases have been bangers and the Live a Live demo on the Switch store is really, really good. Keep them coming. No reason to complain about it or question it.

Last edited:

kunonabi

New square lineup is something else. Theyve made Final Fantasy completely unappealing to me but everything else looks great. Well I still think the front mission remake looks ugly but the rest I'm super excited for.

As long as they are good games I think that's a good thing.

Now that you list them like that, it's clear that their western studio really were not a good fit for them.

Last edited:
It's lazy and uninspiring. RPGs have been stuck in the '90s forever, with the same old stories, the same old turn-based systems.

It's worse than COD. But just look at the responses here, people enjoy trite and generic gameplay.

Wtf. Clearly you haven't been playing any of them. Live a Live and Triangle Project alone have more originality and creativity then 99.9% of AAA games today.

Jesus go play the latest lazy Ubisoft clone or Fifa and stop wasting everyone's time with your pathetic opinions.

You should be embarrassed and I can't wait to see Gaf ripping you a new one.

It's lazy and uninspiring. RPGs have been stuck in the '90s forever, with the same old stories, the same old turn-based systems.

It's worse than COD. But just look at the responses here, people enjoy trite and generic gameplay.
If you gonna troll, at least make an actual attempt that's not so obvious.

If you are NOT trolling, then you've dropped this king.

y0NtDH1.jpg

Last edited:

Sojiro

Completely fine with me, I am a huge fan of Square(soft's) output, particularly in the SNES-PS1 days, so i'm all for it. Personally really looking forward to Live-A-live and Front Mission remake.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How are any of those 90's like?
Yeah of the titles OP posted don't really fit on that list, but whatever, they still are cool games and I'm real glad to see a big dev like Square putting out so many AA titles. Wish more devs and publishers could do the same.

Also Bragr Bragr hasn't played a JRPG in his life lmao.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Cool, didn't play almost none of those so I'm pleased. Actually I'm pleased by this remakes/remasters trend currently running, I LOVE it because back in the day I was too young to work and buy my games so I had to rely on other's people consoles just to play from time to time and this gives me an opportunity to try those games

Pejo

The output is there, but the quality has been middling to poor. I'm not going to celebrate a pile of trash. Here's hoping at least a few of those games end up being fun.

It's kinda funny that a straight port of VP: Lenneth is the most exciting game (for me) on their release calendar. I don't think they're even remastering anything or updating it at all. Best I could hope for is widescreen support.

SilentUser

Though I'm not really confident on the output, as sometimes those games do look like it should have a bigger budget, I'm a big fan of bringing back old IPs and give them a shot.

Also, announce Tactics Ogre and release it already, Square Enix!

KàIRóS

How are any of those 90's like?

LIVE A LIVE is a remake of a Super Famicom game from 1994

Valkyrie Elysium is the last game in the Valkyrie Profile series which started in 1999

Star Ocean The Divine Force is the last game in a series that started on 1996

Harvestella clearly takes inspiration from Harvest Moon a farming RPG from 1996

Final Fantasy VII R not much to say here it's the remake, OG FFVII came out in 1997

Final Fantasy XVI Ok yeah this one could be removed I just crossed out the X so it could read as FFVI an FF game from 1994

Dragon Warrior III 2D HD(or Dragon Quest III) is a remake of a game that came out in 1991 in North America for the NES

Front Mission 1 & 2 are upcoming remakes of SRPGs from 1995 & 1997

Tactics Ogre R is a remake (remaster?) of an SRPG from 1995

Romancing Saga Minstrel Song is a remaster from a remake of a 1992 RPG

Dream-Knife

Banned
LIVE A LIVE is a remake of a Super Famicom game from 1994

Valkyrie Elysium is the last game in the Valkyrie Profile series which started in 1999

Star Ocean The Divine Force is the last game in a series that started on 1996

Harvestella clearly takes inspiration from Harvest Moon a farming RPG from 1996

Final Fantasy VII R not much to say here it's the remake, OG FFVII came out in 1997

Final Fantasy XVI Ok yeah this one could be removed I just crossed out the X so it could read as FFVI an FF game from 1994

Dragon Warrior III 2D HD(or Dragon Quest III) is a remake of a game that came out in 1991 in North America for the NES

Front Mission 1 & 2 are upcoming remakes of SRPGs from 1995 & 1997

Tactics Ogre R is a remake (remaster?) of an SRPG from 1995

Romancing Saga Minstrel Song is a remaster from a remake of a 1992 RPG
That's like saying BOTW2 is 80's like, or Xenoblade 3 is 90s like.

DO NOT INSULT YOSHIDASAN

Top Bottom