• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: "We're as serious about next gen as we are about tablet gaming."

Pooya

Deus Ex: The Fall may not be heading to Xbox One and PS4 expected, but Square Enix says it's all part of a plan to shake up the mobile space.

Speaking to MCV, Square Enix Europe's marketing director Jon Brooke said the new game will show the untapped potential for console-style games on mobile devices.

"This isn't about tablets vs next gen," he said. "We're a big publisher, so you know we'll be showing next gen gaming at E3 next week.

"We're as serious about next gen as we are about tablet gaming."

"As a publisher, we believe all platforms present opportunities and if you create the right content, we believe we can have success.

[..........]

Brooke added that mobile users have been fed too many "watered down and light versions" of console games, promising that Deus Ex: The Fall will be a true HD experience like Human Revolution.

"I don't think many companies understand what you can do with these platforms," he said.

"We're trying to showcase what the platform can do by building a game from the ground up."

awesome!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/square-enix-explains-decision-behind-deus-ex-mobile/0116625

EMT0

Banned
This is honestly horrifying either way. Think about it; either they're going to be putting in a whole bunch more effort into tablet gaming, or they're going to scale down their console game development to match their current iOS output. This sucks.

1-D_FTW

"As a publisher, we believe all platforms present opportunities and if you create the right content, we believe we can have success.

*Watches the control scheme in the new Deus Ex.*

Um, okay.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That's cool... I just won't buy them.

Pretty much. Glad to see them not turning a blind eye to where the market is going. But I know where my money and attention will be spent.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Then I'm serious about not buying your shit.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
So all the good games for PS4 are going to stay exclusive in Japan for 3 years, like Chaos Rings?

"We're as serious about next gen as we are about tablet gaming."

Wording is hilarious. I'm still skeptical about how many publishers will continue to earn a high margin on mobile and/or f2p games as more and more enter the space.

I'm guessing that this applies to their Japanese side as well, as based on this and the related quote in their earnings presentation, I no longer expect to see another KH/FF of comparable scope to KH3D or their PSP titles on a dedicated handheld. 3DS will still get a trickle of titles targeted at the Japanese market, but anything that SE thinks might have significant Western appeal will end up on iOS/Android.

Raven77

They will be out of business by next-generations end if they don't come to their senses. Bad decision after bad decision.

On one hand, there's nothing wrong with exploring other platforms because there was a time when developers had to look at "new" platforms like the PlayStation and the Xbox (or even the NES following the 80s market crash) and decide if opportunities existed there; same principle applies. On the other hand, it remains to be seen whether the general userbase of iOS products are interested in these "console-level" games and whether the pricing model of those platforms will allow them to recoup the budget from a "ground-up, HD experience."

They're trying to create a footing in that iOS space, but I'm just not sure if the Deus Ex fanbase is also in that space. At best, they'll find a new fan base that will decide to explore their other games like HR.

Soriku

I'm guessing that this applies to their Japanese side as well, as based on this and the related quote in their earnings presentation, I no longer expect to see another KH/FF of comparable scope to KH3D or their PSP titles on a dedicated handheld. 3DS will still get a trickle of titles targeted at the Japanese market, but anything that SE thinks might have significant Western appeal will end up on iOS/Android.

We already know Bravely Default 2 is coming to the 3DS.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I have no issue with it. I'll always have an iPad as I use mine a ton for work (reading PDFs etc.) and wouldn't mind some full fledged games built from the ground up for it.

I hope it doesn't mean scaling back the amount of console games they put out of course. Wouldn't mind them focusing more on that that Vita or 3DS games though. I do have a 3DS, but I don't carry it around where as I almost always have my iPad with me so I'd almost rather get some solid games from major developers for it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We already know Bravely Default 2 is coming to the 3DS.

As well as DQXI.
Big titles, but still targeting much more Japan than anywhere else, so probably that's what Father_Brain was saying.

Village

At this point you can post
" just make vs 13 " in any square enix related forum, and it is pretty much a valid response to whatever they are saying.

HeelPower

what else do they have to sell other than games ? I know they sell manga and merchandise and whatever but is it really enough to support them ? Handheld quality games aren't meant for mobile phones and tablets....I think people are ready to pay like 5$ at most on these devices.

Top Bottom