• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square now selling SaGa themed ceramic tableware for up to $10,500

Forkball

Yup.

Story

rs-6.png

A few months ago, tourism officials in Kyushu and executives from Square Enix noticed the amazing cross-promotional/pun-making potential of a tie-up between Saga Prefecture and the Saga role-playing game series.

Thus was born the Romancing Saga campaign, starting with a quirky website filled with bit-mapped artwork and fun facts about the video game’s characters and the prefecture’s regional delicacies and local crafts.

One of the things Saga Prefecture is known for is its Aritayaki pottery, which is among the most highly prized varieties of porcelain in Japan.
Saga Prefecture’s southern location puts it in close proximity to Korean and China, and the two countries’ influences mixed with Japanese sensibilities to produce uniquely colorful ceramics.

Now, Square Enix is offering Aritayaki featuring the characters from the best-known installment of the Saga franchise, 1992’s Romancing Saga, which shares its name with the joint marketing effort.

These are no cheap video game trinkets, though. Each is an authentic piece fired in Arita kilns, with the quality, and the price, to match. Let’s start with the least-expensive item available.

This plate featuring the warriors Sif and Albert is intricately detailed, but not particularly large at just 14 centimeters (5.5 inches) in diameter. At 6,000 yen (US$60), it’s pricy, but not entirely out of the price range we can imagine a dedicated fan paying.

These 12-centimeter plates are smaller still, and can’t be purchased individually. While the set will cost you 16,000 yen, we’re still calling it the bargain of the collection, since that sum gets you 10 dishes, each featuring a different character.

From here on, though, the prices start to skyrocket. The flashy 18-centimeter piece you see above, for example, can only be yours if you’re willing to part with 15,000 yen ($147).

There’s one more multi-plate bundle being offered, this time featuring more realistic artwork and a slightly larger size (15 centimeters) than the 10-pack above. On the downside, you only get five dishes for a total of 21,600 yen.

The same wad of cash will get you a single 24-centimeter piece. We think it’s intended to serve as a central serving dish, but there’s nothing stopping you from using it for yourself while your guests eat off of paper plates or eat directly from the pot.

Of course, food only makes up half of a meal. If you need you beverages to also be contained with 16-bit artwork, Square Enix can also set you up with a 20,000-yen ($200) teacup.

Finally, the real big-ticket items are these 62-centimeter platters.

Gorgeous linework, enchanting colors…

…and a price of 1,080,000 yen, or $10,500. Ker, and indeed, ching.

And just to confirm, no, we didn’t mess up and slip an extra zero in there.

Still, if you’re already set as far as transportation goes, the Romancing Saga ceramics are undeniably cool, and they’re available through Square Enix’s online store right here. Honestly though, they’re a little out of our budgets, so we’re off to wander around our neighborhood in hopes of finding a dragon we can slay for its gold.

I need this $10,000 plate:
rs-1.png

More:
rs-10.png

rs-5.png

rs-4.png

rs-8.png

rs-7.png

Yami

Love the character artwork plates - the sprite-based ones? Not so much. Although, will take the 10-set box, thanks.

L.O.R.D

beautiful , but way overpriced

i know alot of places that make hand made stuff like that for a way way cheaper then that
like ... less then 100$

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Way too expensive and the sprites look out of place at times, but I still like them

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Hopefully this doesn't turn into a stupid "Square is ripping people off omg back when I was a kid, Square really cared." thing.

It's not like they took a $50 plate and slapped their artwork on it and are charging thousands of dollars.

This shit is just expensive, full stop. With or without Square's involvement.

But yeah it's all pretty goofy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hopefully this doesn't turn into a stupid "Square is ripping people off omg back when I was a kid, Square really cared." thing.

It's not like they took a $50 plate and slapped their artwork on it and are charging thousands of dollars.

This shit is just expensive, full stop. With or without Square's involvement.

But yeah it's all pretty goofy.

There's ultra-expensive crystal Mickey Mouse statues at your local jeweler so this is really nothing isolated to Square Enix.

duckroll

This might be more effective than a Kickstarter. Come on Kawazu, you can do it! Just a few million more and we can get Romancing SaGa 4! Lol. :p

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
い、い、ぃ、いくうううううううううう

Bravocado

I know expensive tableware exists, but you'd think they'd make something a little more accessible to us non-richies.

Maybe give out a teacup free and sell each other plate for a grand.

Top Bottom