• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square on DQ11 Switch: Still planned but no announcement. Can't discuss release date.

killatopak

This "3DS version upgraded" nonsense needs to stop. It's either the PS4 version or a custom one.

You know certain people like myself like the 3ds' art style more? We just want a better looking one since the 3ds version is jaggy and the hardware sucks.

They aren't making any announcements on the Switch version today. Not even about the game's releasedate.
That doesn't make the wording strange. "We don't have anything to announce today" is really standard PR talk.
Maybe it's just a matter of phrasing/translation. "We're not making any announcements today" sounds reasonable, while "we cannot say" sounds like fake unsureness.

NSESN

You know certain people like myself like the 3ds' art style more? We just want a better looking one since the 3ds version is jaggy and the hardware sucks.
It is just easier to port the PS4 version. It would be easier to sell too as much more people would have already played the 3DS version.

Zedark

It is just easier to port the PS4 version. It would be easier to sell too as mucj more people would have already played the 3DS version.

I think this is also an important argument. Assuming Switch is a late port, it will want to convert the 3DS base to double dip since that is the larger user base, rather than the PS4 base. Best would of course be to have both versions available on Switch so as to try and entice both sides to double dip, but that takes extra dev costs that are probably not assured to be recouped.

Shiggy

Maybe it's just a matter of phrasing/translation. "We're not making any announcements today" sounds reasonable, while "we cannot say" sounds like fake unsureness.

It probably boils down to the translation. Even then it's just a PR way of saying "no announcement on this today". There's nothing stopping them from making such an announcement.

Zedark

I interpret this as them saying "we're waiting to see if the system has legs to fully commit."
That's a stretch. They have confirmed time and again that it is coming, so it's really doubt fulltime they're not developing it yet. What's more likely is that they're trying to get double dip free extra cash by releasing it later.

TheWraith

This is worrying, seems like it's not going as planned or want the bulk of the sales on the 3DS.

Staggering the release would make sens from a business perspective so the versions don't cannibalize each other too much. After 6+ months they could release the Switch version (based on the PS4 version) and it could sell well + added double dip from 3DS owners.

Mokujin

I'm pretty sure Heroes doesn't use UE4 and was done by a totally different team.

For all we know the same team could be doing the DQ11 port, and UE4 only makes things easier.

Unless I've missed that it has been confirmed that it's a completely different team.

Cerium

For all we know the same team could be doing the DQ11 port, and UE4 only makes things easier.

Unless I've missed that it has been confirmed that it's a completely different team.

Heroes is done by Omega Force (the Dynasty Warriors people).

XI is being done by Toylogic and ORCA.

Totally unrelated. You might as well compare I Am Setsuna with DQXI.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Staggering the release would make sens from a business perspective so the versions don't cannibalize each other too much. After 6+ months they could release the Switch version (based on the PS4 version) and it could sell well + added double dip from 3DS owners.

Yeah. This makes the most sense to me- plus they were already taxed I'm sure trying to make sure the 2 existing versions were done in time.

EDarkness

Why would they do a reveal at a global event for a game that will very likely only be in Japan for over a year?

You know, it would be crazy if Nintendo paid for some sort of exclusivity and the game is only coming to the NS in the states. Which would be why they'd hold off saying something about the NS version. I'm sure this isn't the case, but would be interesting if it were true.

Nintendo has done enough weird things with Switch PR that I wouldn't *completely* rule out the possibility of this being a simultaneous release, with info to come from a Direct in the next month or so.

That's far from the most likely scenario, of course.

EDarkness

Yeah. This makes the most sense to me- plus they were already taxed I'm sure trying to make sure the 2 existing versions were done in time.

I just don't understand why people would want to jump into the NS version when they've already played the PS4 or 3DS version. Unless there's something super awesome about the NS version, I think this would be a bad move.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I just don't understand why people would want to jump into the NS version when they've already played the PS4 or 3DS version. Unless there's something super awesome about the NS version, I think this would be a bad move.

People who want a portable PS4 version?

EDarkness

People who want a portable PS4 version?

I can't imagine that group being all that big, though. At the end of the day, most of the folks who wanted to play that game would have already done so. We're not talking about an action game, but an RPG where one of the main draws is to experience the story. With that out there, the market for those who may want to double dip is going to be smaller. I just don't see the point in waiting some long period of time before releasing the NS version.

Vena

The UE4/PS4 version looks to plastic with the combination of ~realistic~ graphics and the art-style/design of the characters, they look like dolls. The way the camera is also set-up in battle (from what they showed) and the nigh-frozen character models just makes it look fake and lifeless. The cutscenes look better but the actual gameplay looks bland as all hell if you ignore the "ooh aah HD"ness of it which is a skin deep cheap aesthetic that does nothing for me.

I'd prefer the 3DS version but, then, I will be importing the 3DS versions so I am unlikely to buy it again, so that puts me in quite the pickle on what I'd want on a hypothetical Switch version!

Maybe I just don't care and won't buy it. /shrug

"Whether it launches together on the same day as PS4 and 3DS or not we cannot say today"."

why would they say that?

to launch on the same day is more than planned the game would have to be as far along as the other 2 smh

Boke1879

"Whether it launches together on the same day as PS4 and 3DS or not we cannot say today"."

why would they say that?

to launch on the same day is more than planned the game would have to be as far along as the other 2 smh

It's most likely going to be a port, and it's most definitely coming after the PS4/3ds releases.

Unless Nintendo thinks announcing this in a direct with the same release date constitutes a surprise.

TrutaS

Just to throw some controversy out there, what if Nintendo is financing and publishing the international adaptation (like DQ 7 and 8) and therefore is just aligning the switch version for a worlwide release, skipping the 3DS localisation (or at least launching it at the same time). This would mean no PS4 version in the west.

Cerium

Just to throw some controversy out there, what if Nintendo is financing and publishing the international adaptation (like DQ 7 and 8) and therefore is just aligning the switch version for a worlwide release, skipping the 3DS localisation (or at least launching it at the same time). This would mean no PS4 version in the west.

That would largely defeat the purpose of having a PS4 version to begin with.

I give it a 0% chance.

It's more likely IMO that Sony would pay for timed console exclusivity or have a marketing deal that's keeping Square from talking about the Switch version.

SgtCobra

Don't bank on it, Square-Enix would be crazy to ignore the PS4 userbase.
Remember Sony making a whole fanfare about Dragon Quest "returning" to PlayStation systems? (Welcome back home, all the attention the last gen Dragon Quest games got from them etc), it would be silly, and a Nintendo fanboys' dream if Sony couldn't at least get the PS4 version out in the west.

Zedark

The Chinese PS4 version has already been announced, so that's not the case.

Cerium

Don't bank on it, Square-Enix would be crazy to ignore the PS4 userbase.
Remember Sony making a whole fanfare about Dragon Quest "returning" to PlayStation systems? (Welcome back home, all the attention the last gen Dragon Quest games got from them etc), it would be silly, and a Nintendo fanboys' dream if Sony couldn't at least get the PS4 version out in the west.

I think this is a Nier Automata PC version situation personally.

They know damn well when it's coming but they can't talk about shit because someone signed a deal somewhere.

Zedark

They know damn well when it's coming but they can't talk about shit because someone signed a deal somewhere.
What deal would forbid talk of the Switch version but not the 3DS version? Can't be Sony in that case as they would want both silenced, and who else would it be?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Development of Switch version is still behind and SE doesn't want to delay all versions in favor of a simultaneous release. There aren't conspiracies everywhere.

Kureransu

Honestly, I think they are hush hush to not cannibalize 3ds sales. I chalk this up as their version of "please enjoy monster hunter for 3ds" when asked about a switch version. At this point i feel like it's all a cash grab for the 3d before it checks out (i think 2018 will be the 3ds' last year if switch moves like it's anticipated to).

royox

So... Planned as "maybe some day we will start doing it" or as "we are working on it and we don't know when it will be finished"?

HooYaH

Honestly, I think they are hush hush to not cannibalize 3ds sales. I chalk this up as their version of "please enjoy monster hunter for 3ds" when asked about a switch version. At this point i feel like it's all a cash grab for the 3d before it checks out (i think 2018 will be the 3ds' last year if switch moves like it's anticipated to).

I agree, this is just a ploy to get Fans to double dip. Also with the controversy nonsense, even if Nintendo publish for the West, SE will probably not agree with it due to a very small userbase for the Switch and would rather have a larger audience with a multiplatform release (PS4/Switch/3DS).

I wouldn't be surprised if the game announcement of the Switch release also announces a port of the PC version.

Celine

If true, would they potentially rip out the Sprite mode? Have a toggle button? I thought the dual screen aspect was a big part of the 3ds version?
My guess would actually be the PS4 version and 2D version.
Lapsed gamers are a big focus of Switch.

Galang

Banned
The wording of the statement is very weird. They can't announce if it's coming on the same launch day? Interesting..

This "3DS version upgraded" nonsense needs to stop. It's either the PS4 version or a custom one.

Kii. This is exactly what the Switch version will be. I will be completely shocked if Square attempts otherwise

antonz

I suspect they will hold it back for sales purposes. They do not want Switch eating into 3DS sales or PS4 sales. So sell as many PS4/3DS version as they can then release the Switch version. Get the people who waited for Switch and get double dippers.

Cerium

What deal would forbid talk of the Switch version but not the 3DS version? Can't be Sony in that case as they would want both silenced, and who else would it be?
The 3DS isn't getting the same version as the PS4.

Development of Switch version is still behind and SE doesn't want to delay all versions in favor of a simultaneous release. There aren't conspiracies everywhere.
Conspiracies? Such deals are common these days.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
ok, I've joked in the past, but you are definitely mentally ill if you so much as wonder if it's going to be the 3ds version

HeelPower

This is a hint that its the PS4 version.

That's the version that's likely to have the most troubled development and take the longest time to optimize,hence the silence.

OmegaFax

The PS4 version reminds me of Dragon Quest Heroes. I kind of expect the Switch version to be somewhere closer to the PS4 than the 3DS version of the game ... which the 3DS version looks closer to Dragon Quest VII and old school Dragon Quest depending 3D or 2D.

I think if they could have shown it off, they would have. Either the game needed more time or Square-Enix wanted to market the distinct differences between PS4 and 3DS before throwing Switch into the equation.

Top Bottom