• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSD inside an X Box one X?

Woggleman

I already have one inside my PS4 pro and I am wondering if it is worth it to try and put one inside an X Box one X. I have an extra SSD lying around and I am getting bored in quarantine so I am wondering if I should upgrade my console. It is a much more complicated process than the PS4 but it can be done but are the benefits worth it?

TriSuit666

Banned
Not possible to change the internal drive. You could always connect it as an external though if you have an adapter caddy.

I already have one inside my PS4 pro and I am wondering if it is worth it to try and put one inside an X Box one X. I have an extra SSD lying around and I am getting bored in quarantine so I am wondering if I should upgrade my console. It is a much more complicated process than the PS4 but it can be done but are the benefits worth it?

I thought I read that replacing the internal HD on the Xbox One/One X is not as straightforward as PS4, that basically it's not meant to be taken out. If you do it, I would imagine it is the same benefits as putting one in your PS4, which you have already done.

You could try just hooking it up externally and seeing if games load faster than normal that way too

ABnormal

On PS4 and OneX would be pretty useless. Without some hardware to overcame bottlenecks, you would at best have faster loading times up only a small fraction. Just some seconds of difference. Not very different from a normal sata.
On ps5 you can have 100 times it.

nikolino840

On PS4 and OneX would be pretty useless. Without some hardware to overcame bottlenecks, you would at best have faster loading times up only a small fraction. Just some seconds of difference. Not very different from a normal sata.
On ps5 you can have 100 times it.
I think like 5-6 seconds, i'm playing Sea of thieves with a guy with an external SSD and he respawn before me Always, both with a One X

JLB

Banned
Im using as external ssd on my xbox one x. Of course its not next gen, nvme, but makes a considerable difference.

TriSuit666

Banned
It possible but it actually slower than the USB 3.0 on the ports on the console so just used a external SSD is better

As has already been pointed out to you, the HDD is mated to the motherboard, you'd effectively be banning your console if you did it - just attach it externally and save yourself the bother.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Waste of time really. PS4/X One (X) are limited in transfer speeds of SATA III. Wouldn't take advantage of an SSD. A good quality HDD will do a better job.

As has already been pointed out to you, the HDD is mated to the motherboard, you'd effectively be banning your console if you did it - just attach it externally and save yourself the bother.
Banned lol are you people making up stuff no one has been banned over putting a SSD inside a Xbox i myself have done it years ago as proof that i did not get banned lol funny stuff i have no idea where you are getting your info from lolol

Last edited:
Add more "lols" to prove you're not mad and not completely full of it...
Do you have anything of fact to add to the converstation you probably never own a Xbox in your life since on the other thread your a Playstation only kinda guy lol you have no clue how a Xbox work lol

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
Banned lol are you people making up stuff no one has been banned over putting a SSD inside a Xbox i myself have done it years ago as proof that i did not get banned lol funny stuff i have no idea where you are getting your info from lolol

I'd be interested in hearing how you managed it then.

I want plenty of slides, lots of handouts and working examples to hand, please.

Hawk269

I have an external 1tb SSD on my X and it makes a big difference for load times. I have tested this with several games and load times are almost in half depending on the game. It would make no difference imho if you put it inside or just hook it up via USB. For my system I have the internal 1tb HDD, 8tb external HDD and 1tb SSD.

Trimesh

Banned
No it isn't a lie. The hard drive has a silicon chip with a hardware key that is linked to the console APU. If you change the HDD, you are effectively modding it and bypassing that security check.

No, it does not. You can install any HDD with the correct partitions on it into a Xbox One then recover the firmware from a USB stick and it will work. The actual data on the drive is encrypted by a console-specific key, which is why you can't just swap the drives between consoles, but there is nothing locked about the drive itself.

It's not officially supported and it's significantly more hassle than swapping the drive on a PS4, but it doesn't require defeating any security to do it.

Maybe you were thinking of the Xbox 360 HDD? That had a digital certificate that contained the drive device ID and serial number strings, so you had to spoof the drive ID to use a 3rd-party drive, but nothing similar is implemented on the Xbox One.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It unlocks the ability to play the Unreal Engine 5 demo.
qhjjIuJ.png

Legal notice: It does not in fact unlock the ability to play the Unreal Engine 5 demo

Thst would require him not lying through his teeth. Don't hold your breath.

But do expect a reply with lots of "lol"s.
Lying you say ? lol here is a video link and also a link for a article lol you people are funny

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Whoever is saying you'll get banned or it's impossible has false information. I have done it but used a hybrid drive.

It can be done but it is not a simple drive swap. The drives are formatted a certain way which will require some more than basic computer knowledge to do.

It is faster "most" of the time but not as much as you would think.

Like others have said, external is actually faster.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Waste of time really. PS4/X One (X) are limited in transfer speeds of SATA III. Wouldn't take advantage of an SSD. A good quality HDD will do a better job.

No, they are limited by how fast those shitty jaguar cpu cores can decompress data. SATA III SSDs are a great deal faster on PCs. A SSHD is the best choice for current consoles, cheaper and helps load times in some games.

ZywyPL

Banned
It's possible, very complicated nowadays but possible, but still IMO totally not worth it:

At the end of the day consoles are limited by the Jaguar CPU, it doesn't matter how fast the drive is and whether if it's SATA2, SATA3, or USB, that weak CPU can transfer only so much data.

Just external ssd like extreme pro or t7.

U will get a lot of benefits

X1x is not as easy as ps4 to swap the hdd at all so go external route. With external ur os will still.be on slow ass hdd but games will get the benefit

ThirdC

As said before: Just get an external SSD like the Samsung T7 or T5.

I've a T5 connected to my PS4 Pro and one to my X1X. The benefits in loading times are significant depending on the game. Loading times for Horizon Zero Dawn are much better for example. In Division 2 on the X1X it's also a significant boost. Sometimes I have to wait a full minute for other players in Division 2 until their characters pop up in front of me :cool: In Skyrim SE on the X1X loading indoor-areas are nearly instantaneous. Battlefront 2 on the X1X is another good example.

Last edited:

T-Cake

No, it does not. You can install any HDD with the correct partitions on it into a Xbox One then recover the firmware from a USB stick and it will work. The actual data on the drive is encrypted by a console-specific key, which is why you can't just swap the drives between consoles, but there is nothing locked about the drive itself.

Thanks for the correction. Maybe I'm thinking of the Blu-ray drive then? I know there's all sorts of security gubbins in the Xbone from a video I watched by the guy that designed it all.

Trimesh

Banned
Thanks for the correction. Maybe I'm thinking of the Blu-ray drive then? I know there's all sorts of security gubbins in the Xbone from a video I watched by the guy that designed it all.

Yeah, the microcontroller on the DVD drive control PCB has a key that's specific to the console - normally you can just swap the board over into the new drive and it will work. If you forget to do this, then it will complain that Xbox discs are "not an Xbox disc". Luckily, the electronics is pretty reliable and just swapping the mechanics will fix most problems.

Can you still get Tunnocks Tea Cakes? I remember them from the UK...

rnlval

For PS4, Sony connected HDD to SATA-to-USB bridge, hence some overheads with the bridge.

rnlval

It's possible, very complicated nowadays but possible, but still IMO totally not worth it:

At the end of the day consoles are limited by the Jaguar CPU, it doesn't matter how fast the drive is and whether if it's SATA2, SATA3, or USB, that weak CPU can transfer only so much data.

The same reason why XBO's slightly higher memory bandwidth didn't solve XBO's CU bound issues. PS4 has 176 GB/s memory bandwidth.

My friend uses an external SSD and he does notice a difference. Games load a lot faster in general. You wont get the same type of difference as if it was internal and everything was optimized for it, but you will see a difference.

TheContact

depending on how much you want to spend on the SSD you can change the storage space, but the best way to go with having the xbox run faster is to use an external SSD as opposed to the internal HDD. I personally prefer Samsung's SSD over WDs but they're $50 more for the same storage space. Again, depends on how much you want to spend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078DPCY3T/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:
Top Bottom