• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX 4 being developed by Criterion ?

Denzar

I know this rumour has been going around the internet a lot lately. It's been shot down several times, but it does not seem to stay down for long.

Today some websites pointed in the direction of new hints at a Criterion developed SSX sequel. Craig Sullivan, creative driector at Criterion games posted this on his Twitter account:

"MONSTER TRICK."

"Elise on SnowDream."

http://twitter.com/SargeSullivan

This week, the Criterion Twitter account mentioned an E3 announcement...Well, kind of.

Soon...........all will be revealed........in the City of Angels.......!

http://twitter.com/CriterionGames

Hints at the upcoming announcement? Was Craig Sullivan just re-playing the SSX games? What about that Need For Speed game Criterion is supposedly working on?

What do you guys make of this? The idea of Criterion making an SSX game makes my brain melt.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think we're going to find out at E3 what Criterion are working on.

epmode

Deepack said:
I know this rumour has been going around the internet a lot lately. It's been shot down several times, but it does not seem to stay down for long.

Today some websites pointed in the direction of new hints at a Criterion developed SSX sequel. Craig Sullivan, creative driector at Criterion games posted this on his Twitter account:
Yeah, the rumor's been around for ages but you have NO IDEA how happy the Twitter link made me!

54-46!

xm381j.gif

epmode

Deepack said:
Indeed. But it doesn't change a whole lot does it?
I thought it was a new message. The Criterion Games account could be hinting at anything. A Blade Runner videogame maybe?

EVEN THOUGH I REALLY THINK IT'S SSX GOD PLEASE BE SSX

dani_dc

I'll be happy with any news of SSX4, was wondering the other day how odd it has been for us to not have gotten any new SSX since Blur.

Whatever happened to EA Big? Wikipedia shows them as still being around and that they haven't made anything since Blur. Why have Criterion make it when the team that made all of those great SSX games is still around?

Brofist

More like SSeX 4 am I right?

Would be awesome if true. If not it's what they should be doing. Does anyone honestly give a shit about NFS anymore?

Yes, Criterion handling the next SSX (PS3+360) was a very believable rumor a few months ago.

Seems more and more info is coming out, I expect some nice footage or screens by E3 hopefully.

The most important things are the following:
- Less like what EA Big did to the series AFTER SSX3, more like SSX/SSX Tricky/SSX3
- EA Big seems to have either lost their touch or lost key employees (look at the sloppy 'sequels' that SSX On Tour and Blur pretend to be), so Criterion (Burnout Paradise) handling it I have faith.

AndyD

aka andydumi
An SSX sequel could rake in the cash if done well. I hope this is true.

What would you guys like to see?

I would like a whole mountain experience like SSX3 but with the charm and crazyness of Tricky. Also lots of characters, over the top tricks but also accessible in terms of controls to perform the tricks. Also multiplayer.

jetsetfluken said:
- EA Big seems to have either lost their touch or lost key employees (look at the sloppy 'sequels' that SSX On Tour and Blur pretend to be), so Criterion (Burnout Paradise) handling it I have faith.
What´s wrong with SSX On Tour?
Probably the soundtrack of forever and an awesome game.

Xater

I still don't belive that we will see SSX at E3. I would be really suprised if Criterion shows of 2 new gmes at the same time.

Truespeed

I really can't see a British developer making a snowboarding game. Yes, anything is possible, but aren't they working on the next NFS? As for EA big - they seem to have disbanded. Pity, though, as they were a great team.

Or maybe it's as simple as EA Big got fatigued from making SSX games for an entire generation that they said "fuck this we're going to leave to work on other projects" and the nice EA of today was like okay take a break.

Why does everything have to be such a drama? Anything Criterion makes is awesome news one can only hope the PC version comes to Steam day one.

AndyD said:
An SSX sequel could rake in the cash if done well. I hope this is true.

What would you guys like to see?

I would like a whole mountain experience like SSX3 but with the charm and crazyness of Tricky. Also lots of characters, over the top tricks but also accessible in terms of controls to perform the tricks. Also multiplayer.

Personally I'd be happy with SSX3 in HD. But yes, it needs to compose of elements from SSX3 and Tricky.
SSX3 was near perfect, but sometimes missing some of the variety of map race locales (it had Hawaii, Japan, Sweden, etc). The unique personalities of all the characters needs to come back, but the RIGHT way. Not like SSX Blur.

ILikeFeet

Banned
if Criterion is making the new SSX, who will be doing the Wii version? cause we all know Criterion doesn't do Wii development. would it be EA Montreal again?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FHIZ said:
"SSX4" and "being developed" is all I need. Don't care whats in the middle.

"SSX4 is not being developed," totally okay with you then?

-viper- said:
I thought they were making Need For Speed?

SSX: Need for Speed.

MEGATON, I found the riddle solution.

slider

The demo disc I got with my PS2 had the first SSX on it. God, was that good. I was blown away by the gfx and used to wince and rub my knees when landing after a huge jump. That was immersive.

Bizarrely I thought the follow ups never matched the heights of the original.

ILikeFeet said:
if Criterion is making the new SSX, who will be doing the Wii version? cause we all know Criterion doesn't do Wii development. would it be EA Montreal again?
Unless SSX Blur and Shaun White sold gangbusters I wouldn't hold your breathe for one.

lordmrw

i honestly don't care who's developing it, i'm just glad its in the works. I've played illegal amounts of SSX3 and still do to this day.

Visualante said:
Unless SSX Blur and Shaun White sold gangbusters I wouldn't hold your breathe for one.

Didn't Shaun White actually do really well on the Wii and even prompted a Wii-exclusive sequel?

Ubisoft's going back to multplatform for Shaun White Skateboarding though.

Ironically, Shaun White Wii went in a cartoony direction, similar to Blur.

I have no clue about how Blur did.

Xater

Vinterbird said:
Is Criterion big enough to support to concurrent game development cycles?

They have two teams but I don't think they work the way that they can put out two games at the same time.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wouldn't it be awkward to control on 360? Unless they tweak the controls, holding LB and LT would be really strange. I'd say drop the SSX name too.

stuminus3

Why would you guys insist on calling it "SSX 4? I understand On Tour and Blur weren't numbered sequels, but neither was SSX "2" (Tricky).

Note: I know what the answer to this question is, but fuck you, Blur is awesome.

The Chef

SSX by Criteron would be perfect. I'd imagine they would do a single massive mountain, with chair lifts and helicopters to go to different locations all over the place. Totally free roam SSX snowboarding heaven.

Please be true.

Top Bottom