• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX? Will it ever come back?

No...I'm with you. It's a great game.

The last one was fine but really did not capture the spirit or feel of the series. It played like NFS on snowboards.

I would love a true sequel, but would also buy the shit out of a Tricky / SSX 3 remake.

Sadly I don't think it will happen because of the licensing with the soundtracks. Which is a shame because those don't really matter to me all that much.

BHK3

Banned
Nobody knows why the EA Sports BIG games were fun so we'll never get another proper game. Fifa street, NBA street, SSX, Tony Hawk, Def Jam, all dead.

Last gen had the decent NBA Street Homecourt, SSX 2012, The Bigs(which at least got a sequel) but we all know decent/meh means death in this industry, Especially to EA. I rather get new games instead of constant zombie sins against god ressurections like the latest Tony Hawk game

Azalean

Banned
Given how long it's been, I doubt it.

Well, "ever" is a long time, so it's not impossible, but it's clearly not a priority.
Last SSX came out in 2012. It hasn't been that long. I would be surprised if we didn't get a new SSX game this gen.

Nobody knows why the EA Sports BIG games were fun so we'll never get another proper game. Fifa street, NBA street, SSX, Tony Hawk, Def Jam, all dead.

Last gen had the decent NBA Street Homecourt, SSX 2012, The Bigs(which at least got a sequel) but we all know decent/meh means death in this industry, Especially to EA. I rather get new games instead of constant zombie sins against god ressurections like the latest Tony Hawk game

We also got a new NBA Jam (which was OK) and NFL Blitz (which was less than OK). Neither of which are EA BIG, but in the same spirit.

But I think you're right. No one knows how to capture that magic anymore. Everything has to be gritty and "realistic". Le sigh.

edgefusion

The last SSX game is probably one of my greatest disappointments in gaming. I really hope we'll see a remaster of SSX3 an Tricky at some point, but I fear the franchise is dead at this point.

109138-ssx-tricky-gamecube-screenshot-you-can-get-a-lot-of-air-at.png

They need to bring back the crazy and zany courses in the 1st two games, rather than the mountains featured in (most of) SSX3 and later games.

Bedlam

An actual follow up to SSX 3 (absolute pinnacle of the series!) would be my dream funsports game. I'm actually very close to buying a PS2 again with SSX and Burnout 3 - that's how much EA has failed to deliver since then.

Fuck SSX 2012 with it's generic courses - made from heightmaps cluttered with shit and deathpits everywhere. Apart from the unfortunate game design decisions, that game's course design was just awful.

I loved the hell out of Tricky on Gamecube, but the music is always hit or miss with me in the other series.

Even SSX on 360...I tried my damnedest to get into it, but it just didn't click. I hope they find that secret sauce again
Which is pretty much Run DMC's "It's Tricky" without some terrible remix

Several of the songs in SSX PS3/360 are literal staples of skiing and snowboarding, even to this day. Most are terrible though.

I think SSX was too much of a mismatched product, like it wanted to be SSX, but it also wanted to be a Teton Gravity film meets the Art of Flight, and none of that made sense.

The game seems successful enough.

SNOW is a pretty cool game. It isn't as far-fetched as SSX, and probably isn't accessible, but that first person mode is amazing. When I launch off of a cliff in SNOW and die using my own skis in the game, I'm like fudddddgeee.

The more focused track designs of SSX Tricky and SSX3 need to return. 2012's SSX felt a bit slapdash in the way it was made in my opinion, felt like all the personality of the series had been sucked out of it as well. I think at this stage though, the best I could hope for is a remaster of Tricky or 3. Both would be fantastic!

EoinOL

Maybe on mobile. With touchscreen gestures for tricks and a name like SSX Flicky. Then SSX fans can recoil in horror and post notlikethis.gif

Breakage

The SSX reboot had all the fun and colour sucked out of it.
All they had to do was update Tricky. SSX 2012 looks like an Amped game.

Yawnier

Banned
I kind of feel we could see another reboot or something on mobile but honestly I don't know.

I thought SSX 2012 was actually an alright game aside from the endless pits you could fall into in some levels.

However I will say that it didn't have the charm or magic that SSX Tricky or SSX3 had though. Kind of a bland looking game.

SSX 2012 was so painfully disappointing.
Technically, it could have been great, but the course design was terrible.
Absolutely. Terrible.
Sucked every bit of fun out of it.

I love this series and feel like the 2012 entry was fantastic if not lacking a bit of soul. The game did play amazing and the dlc they added brought it back to its roots.

Sadly, I think the market for extreme sports titles and racing games has completely died.

KORNdoggy

if it's like the last one i hope not. sadly they'll have read into that games poor sales as people not wanting a new SSX. when reality is they made a shit SSX and people just didn't want THAT game.

I think Todd Batty (CD for SSX2012) even said that it was a huge challenge to get it greenlit. They had a big plan for supporting the franchise if it the reboot was a big success, but nothing really panned out.

The World: "We want a spiritual successor to Tricky".
EA: "LALALALALALALALA Here's something with the SSX label".

*crickets*

Any surprise?

klonere

Banned
SSX3 was an incredible game, for it being a totally arcadey balls out snowboarding game it really captured the feeling of going back to your favorite mountain day after day and finding new fun things to do. One of the GOAT soundtracks as well.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I've never played any of these games, and I got a chance to check out SSX3 about a month ago as my first exposure. I'm amazed that game doesn't get brought up more often. It's an absolute masterpiece of game design and technical achievement for the PS2. I was honestly blown away.

13ruce

Banned
Ssx 3 and tricky are god tier snowboard games, loved playing those multiplayer when i was a kid with friends and family.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Enjoyed the reboot or whatever, but yeah, it's no SSX 3. That's what I want a real sequel to.

(SSX 3 >>>>> Tricky)

BiggNife

I would absolutely love a real sequel to SSX3. Man, that game was great.

SSX PS360 wasn't terrible but I also don't think it's really what most people wanted out of a new SSX. The reworked trick system was meh.

Mesoian

All signs point to no.

I gotta remember to back up my version of the GCN version of SSX3 so I can still easily play that. I just put my x360 away for good and I still miss a lot of those original xbox titles being available on the fly.

Yes and it's called STEEP

I'm always glad to help, no need to thank me. I rock.

STEEP looks good....

STEEP is not going to be SSX.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Only bad thing about SSX 3 was that (at least on Gamecube) it wasn't properly PAL-converted and had no 60Hz mode. Instead it just skipped 10 of the frames to run at 50, and the result was constant judder. Bit annoying.

EDIT: Or maybe it did have a PAL60 mode but it wasn't properly implemented. One of the two.

Has anyone tried the game "Snow"? It's on steam early access and the beta is coming to PSN next week. Looks like it has potential, but maybe a little on the sim side.

daveo42

Banned
Man...a new SSX would be amazing. Going back through old demo derbies on the GB site and seeing just how awesome the first game was on PS2...I'd probably kill for a new one. Looks like that dream is officially dead.

Top Bottom