• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX? Will it ever come back?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd take an SSX game like the original couple. The giant open mountain while cool, didn't really allow things to go as crazy as the original couple games. I remember one course being built into an iceberg off the coast of Hawaii. Stuff like that was so zany and crazy but allowed for some really interesting out there courses and course design.

kromeo

I'd take an SSX game like the original couple. The giant open mountain while cool, didn't really allow things to go as crazy as the original couple games. I remember one course being built into an iceberg off the coast of Hawaii. Stuff like that was so zany and crazy but allowed for some really interesting out there courses and course design.

3 had a good mixture of ridiculous stunt tracks and straight up races, I loved everything about it

Spent so many hours trying to find the hidden collectable things

RamaKun

I'd almost be fine with EA never developing a new SSX again as long as we got a remaster of SSX3 at some point.

I've enjoyed every SSX I've ever played, but none of them had me fall absolutely in love with them like I did 3.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
SSX is dead along with WaveRace, Burnout, OutRun, F-Zero, and every other arcade racing game. After the failed revival last generation it will be years before any EA executive tries again.

It's time for 2 Tricky (or Tricky Too).

My favorite was Tricky. For me the tracks had a lot more personality than 3, also something with the steering in 3 felt off, it was too light and fast compared to 3. And I hate DJ Atomika with a passion.

From time to time I'm still contemplating rebuying a PS2, especially for Tricky, DQ8, Onimusha 2, PES4 and Silent Hill 2.

Callego

Not seeing much On Tour love here. It's the only one I have and I love it, should I track down the others? Are they generally considered better?
From this thread it seems 3 and Tricky are the most loved.

Not seeing much On Tour love here. It's the only one I have and I love it, should I track down the others? Are they generally considered better?
From this thread it seems 3 and Tricky are the most loved.

Honestly, each game is special in its own way and offers something the other do not. If you want to get a good appreciation for the series and how it evolved def start from the first one and move up. Although I think youll enjoy SSX3 more if you like On Tour.

I'm guessing EA is gonna sit back and see how well Steep sells for Ubi.

If it's a big success they would be crazy not to revisit SSX, but if it's a dud then it probably won't come back.

E92 M3

While the reboot was good, I had no idea what they were thinking with making that type of game. It should have just been tricky x 1000.

Ajax125

Banned
I could easily see myself paying $60 for a remastered version of SSX 3. I'm currently watching gameplay at work and i'm reminiscing hard! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDm9bhCiunc

If it's a big success they would be crazy not to revisit SSX, but if it's a dud then it probably won't come back.

Well considering that the beta for Steep was Hot Trash and it likely won't get any better between now and its release...i'd say that it would hurt SSX making a comeback. the only way to revive a old series is to give people exactly what they remember it as.

soultron

Banned

The snowboarding market is already looking to be crowded this winter, I think.
(How did we get to this point?)
SNOW is dropping soon. Mark McMorris is also releasing this month, IIRC.

I think that's more snowboarding than the market really wants right now, IMO.

I'm really into trying all 3, but I think I know which will be of the highest quality, which means I'll really only spend a considerate amount of time with 1.

I think we used all of the "well people won't shut up about it so lets make another and it will either be a surprise hit or at least they will shut up" credit with EA on Mirror's Edge...

We can dream big.. how about an "EA Triple Thrills Pack" with a remaster of SSX3, Burnout 3, and....?

ViciousDS

Banned
SSX is dead along with WaveRace, Burnout, OutRun, F-Zero, and every other arcade racing game. After the failed revival last generation it will be years before any EA executive tries again.

which sucks.....because the failed reboot of SSX was due to the design of the game......it was stupid. Absolutely hated it. If they just remastered Tricky I would be happy. You don't need windsuits for the game at all, just made it overly complicated. The game was all about fun, speed and tricks. The design of the original games was insanely simple to learn and hard to master.

The Steep beta fucking murdered any chance of grabbing it. The whole thing was hot garbage. There is no way they are fixing it in time for launch. It's not even fun

tdwig

Neo Member
This thread hurts me. A new SSX would be a dream come true. Like others have said I would gladly buy remaster of tricky or 3.

red731

Just give us remaster of every SSX game, even my beloved 2012 one.

You are sitting on pile of easy money you dudes.

I know you are reading this.

gondee

ViciousDS said:
If they just remastered Tricky I would be happy.
We asked about this when we playtested SSX 2012. Todd Batty said they had lost most of the assets from the earlier games and thus that wasn't likely. Only a few tracks were found and a few were ported into SSX 2012.

Every time this topic comes up, this reply is always extremely common. EA should know it's an easy money grab, but it still hasn't been announced. Maybe EA's new receptivity to remakes will give them more impetus to find the old games' resources. One can hope.

Also, wassup Soultron. :D

MaDKaT

I would love a remaster of SSX 3. That is one of the games that I used backwards compatibility for(until my OG PS3 died). One of the first things I did when I built a new desktop this year was get SSX3 up and running because I really missed playing it. Still play it pretty regularly. Holds up very well today.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Most recent one would have been so much better with fewer death pits. It had the speed, the tricks, and most of the feel. But went overboard with the death pits everywhere in some tracks.

LordofPwn

would love a new one in the series but if they take the tony hawk treatment i'd rather they just let it die. Monkey paw lessons and what not.

I NEED ans SSX 3-2. Best Version. So fun.

The series peaked at 3, everything after has been a complete disappointment. Sad to say it but their isn't a big enough market for these types of games anymore.

I have fond memories of SSX, SSX Tricky, and SSX3.

SSX3 is probably one of my favourite games ever that introduced me to a lot of great music. The whole idea of one seamless mountain really blew me away.

Let's be honest though, EA is not what it used to be. They were great in the PS2/GCN/XBOX era and went downhill ever since.

I'd kill for a remake of SSX3.

I spent hrs just starting at the top of that mountain and spearing down. mostly just for fun, not points or time.

wonder how much they'd charge if someone went to them and wanted the assets to remaster that game.

It's quite sad they haven't made an SSX since SSX3.

Oh well.

SSX 3 one of my all time favorite games. I hope they bring this series back to its roots.

Comrades.

I would love to see a new SSX, one more like SSX 3 than 2012. While I did enjoy 2012 it lacked a lot of things like
- conventional "lets all start from the same point and go" multiplayer. Rider net was ok for solo players, but sometimes you just want to play with others at the same time in the same place easily. (Also let players free roam together easily).
- implementation of trick system / points system incentivised you doing long signature uber tricks rather than a variety of tricks
- each character only had one uber trick. (SSX3 was superior because it had multiple tricks for each character, and you could even unlock and customise each character's move set - this was a huge loss for 2012 for me...)
- free roaming wasn't really built into the game and only really hacked in later
- no long runs like the all peak runs in SSX3 (man I loved those and spent crazy amounts of time just free riding those back in the day), meanwhile the longest run was the Eddie DLC map (which was fun, but just not the same).
- too much focus on survival (it's clearly a tent pole feature for the game, but doesn't align with what makes SSX attractive to people in the first place).
- too much of a lean towards realism. (Same reason as above), this is a game people love because you can break dance on a snowboard in mid air, understand this and design the rest of the game from there.
- all the store items were basically palette swaps with higher numbers to get you to keep buying stuff and buy credit packs. Stats should have been handled SSX3 style (upgraded per character), with perhaps much more variation in cosmetic stuff (cosmetic DLC would have been fine)
- some of the character re-designs in per suit of the "realism" lost a lot of their fun...
What they did to Koari, man....
- they could have brought back some SSX3 characters as DLC (maybe with a few bonus moves?)
Allegra pls.
- no DJ Atomica outside of some cameo iirc.​

FAO EA:

If Ubi's Steep does well and by some miracle you decided to green light a new SSX with a good budget, I AM LEGITIMATELY AVAILABLE AS A CONSULTANT, with my only requirement being that you seriously give a shit about making a great SSX game.

SSX 2012 (née, Deadly Descents) was not a terrible game by any means and actually had a lot of great things in it - but strayed too far from why people like SSX. It's maps, controls and general feel were great, but build the next one with SSX 3 as your aspirational goal / major influencer in all creative decisions.

Tizoc

What're the best SSX games? I'm thinking of trying of them out as I've not exactly played them over the years :X

Legitimately one of my favourite series ever. And SSX 3 is the best of the bunch.

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed SSX 2012 too. Hated the deadly descents stuff, but the base game beyond that was incredible.

I'd love to support Steep, but it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

cilonen

No love for SSX on Tour?

On Tour completely ruined the style built upon by the previous games by inexplicably ditching everything cool about SSX and donning ridiculous Pop-punk clothes because Green Day were popular at the time. It was the beginning of the end.

Although, the original reveal of the reboot as SSX: Deadly Descents was special. I wish I could find the thread with all of the gifs and photoshops of that. The Facebook reaction was pretty special too IIRC.

Edit: watch the heartbreak of a community in real time

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415618

Onemic

Legitimately one of my favourite series ever. And SSX 3 is the best of the bunch.

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed SSX 2012 too. Hated the deadly descents stuff, but the base game beyond that was incredible.

I'd love to support Steep, but it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

They made SSX for the PS3/360? How did I not know about this?

Gator86

The series peaked at 3, everything after has been a complete disappointment. Sad to say it but their isn't a big enough market for these types of games anymore.

Yup 2 and 3 were perfect for what they were trying to do. Everything after is forgettable nonsense. It's more sad than anything else. The reboot remains a top 5 all time gaming disappointment for me. RIP SSX

Tizoc

On Tour completely ruined the style built upon by the previous games by inexplicably ditching everything cool about SSX and donning ridiculous Pop-punk clothes because Green Day were popular at the time. It was the beginning of the end.

Although, the original reveal of the reboot as SSX: Deadly Descents was special. I wish I could find the thread with all of the gifs and photoshops of that. The Facebook reaction was pretty special too IIRC.

Edit: watch the heartbreak of a community in real time

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415618

Ah I was just gonna link that thread :p

KORNdoggy

i'd love an SSX remaster. maybe taking elements from all of them and making a singular "new" game. so all characters as they appeared in all games (as outfits) all tracks from all games. both snowboard and skis.

alternatively i'd happily take a EA sports BIG collection of SSX tricky, sled storm and freekstyle.

SSX 3 was GOAT.

It's one of those PS2 gems that holds up extremely well today and doesn't seem to have aged a bit.

Timeless soundtrack, awesome art style, might set up PCSX2 and give it a playthrough.

If it comes back I can see the older games getting the digital download treatment as opposed to a new game. I'd fucking love to have SSX On Tour on my PS4/Xbone (or the Nintendo version on Wii U), that game was fun as FUCK and had an incredible soundtrack.
I was really into rock and heavy metal at the time that game came out, and after watching the opening cinematic I was introduced to Iron Maiden for the first time.

Top Bottom