• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia and GeForce now coming to an LG tv near you.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This has been the secret sauce for awhile for Stadia but I am still confused to why it didnt launch with this support. The key to making these services work is as many screens as possible.

TVexperto

They confirmed that ONLY for the new 2021 models sofar, not the previous models (that might happen or not...)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This is the smartest way to do it. But I am still not interested in it. Xbox streaming will be on smart TVs too eventually, and I think that will really add value to the service.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This has been the secret sauce for awhile for Stadia but I am still confused to why it didnt launch with this support. The key to making these services work is as many screens as possible.
I'm not sure if it was Google gauging interest, or if they were just ramping up their hardware. If I had to guess, I'd say it's that Stadia has kind of been in like a soft beta for the better part of a year. Cyberpunk 2077 seems to be "the game" that started to really push and promote the tech, and they smartly bundled it with a free Chromecast + Controller at launch.

aries_71

Somehow restricting the service to the latest TV models goes against the service philosophy.
The beauty of the system is that I could use the service (Stadia or GeForce now) anywhere I have a modern web browser. If I have to buy the latest LG TV I may as well buy an Xbox/PS for a fraction of the cost and be done with it.

TheContact

that's pretty cool. though i imagine they'll have to bump up the CPU in these TVs to accomodate for the amount of processing required to stream. i can't see this being retroactive with too many TVs unless the amount of power required to pull the data is low, or the CPUs in the TVs are good enough already (seeing how slow some of even recent TVs load apps makes me think otherwise). Or if they have some kind of hdmi device akin to a fire stick

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Stadia, stadia.. ah wait, this games streaming service that you don't own ever?
No thanks.

You can outright buy games on Stadia and it's the same as buying them on Steam, except you stream them rather than download to run locally. You don't "own" the game in either scenario.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm not sure if it was Google gauging interest, or if they were just ramping up their hardware. If I had to guess, I'd say it's that Stadia has kind of been in like a soft beta for the better part of a year. Cyberpunk 2077 seems to be "the game" that started to really push and promote the tech, and they smartly bundled it with a free Chromecast + Controller at launch.
That does indeed sound like the Google Way. They are usually pretty soft on their first approach but once they feel it will work they blow it out. I think Microsoft pushing very aggressively will also put a fire under their butt.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Stadia, stadia.. ah wait, this games streaming service that you don't own ever?
No thanks.
bored russell westbrook GIF by NBA

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

I think it's due to Stadia looking like absolute garbage when not using the VP9 codec. VP9 came to phone chipsets around ~2017 or so.. I wonder if TV chipsets lagged behind or something?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think it's due to Stadia looking like absolute garbage when not using the VP9 codec. VP9 came to phone chipsets around ~2017 or so.. I wonder if TV chipsets lagged behind or something?
Good point.

But I would argue if you are streaming you arent "that" concerned with how the image looks to an extent but making so VP9 is used vs a wide spectrum will help with QC.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Good point.

But I would argue if you are streaming you arent "that" concerned with how the image looks to an extent but making so VP9 is used vs a wide spectrum will help with QC.

Yeah you'd think; but it is pretty bad using Stadia in a web browser without the VP9 hack. Reallllly bad in any game that's remotely dark. (like w/ Destiny 2)

Last edited:
that's pretty cool. though i imagine they'll have to bump up the CPU in these TVs to accomodate for the amount of processing required to stream. i can't see this being retroactive with too many TVs unless the amount of power required to pull the data is low, or the CPUs in the TVs are good enough already (seeing how slow some of even recent TVs load apps makes me think otherwise). Or if they have some kind of hdmi device akin to a fire stick

Well, I use the Steam Links app on my 2018 Samsung TV and it works like a charm, even better than the Steam Link device, so, Stadia nor GeforceNow should be more demanding

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I didn't find the TCL thread...

Pretty impressive value for students.
(TV + 4K + free video games. Stadia and GFN have f2p titles)
Only 259$ !

MadPanda

Banned
They really made it available only on 2021 tvs. What a dumb decision. I was really interested but unfortunately can't try it on my TV.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good luck using wired on these awesome TV's like my LGCX. The LAN always is gimped. Wifi has to be good strong Wifi 5G.

MadPanda

Banned
An update isn't impossible, i think.

It's not impossible but it's improbable, unfortunately. I'm not writing it off but I'm not expecting it either.

Good luck using wired on these awesome TV's like my LGCX. The LAN always is gimped. Wifi has to be good strong Wifi 5G.

There's a guide on hdtvtest YouTube channel on how to use external device to get a gigabit ethernet on your TV. Check it out.

I wonder if this is the future that all executives are dreaming of? It all makes sense actually, because before the only way for you to play "Halo", "The Last of Us" back in the day you have to own a console, now since the technology has progressed and cloud gaming isn't just a background thing anymore, you are bringing in a whole new audience while still selling the hardware, you as a consumer have the entire Xbox library, quite a large amount of PC games, and Stadia, yet you own no hardware, all you have is a controller and an active subscription to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, GeForce Now, or Stadia. It's good to see that these things get more convenient and accessible, but someone needs to reconsider the concept of digital ownership, such as being able to transfer your digital license to a new platform.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I wonder if this is the future that all executives are dreaming of? It all makes sense actually, because before the only way for you to play "Halo", "The Last of Us" back in the day you have to own a console, now since the technology has progressed and cloud gaming isn't just a background thing anymore, you are bringing in a whole new audience while still selling the hardware, you as a consumer have the entire Xbox library, quite a large amount of PC games, and Stadia, yet you own no hardware, all you have is a controller and an active subscription to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, GeForce Now, or Stadia. It's good to see that these things get more convenient and accessible, but someone needs to reconsider the concept of digital ownership, such as being able to transfer your digital license to a new platform.
The problem with this is that at 499€ for Series X (you would think casuals would go for Series S, but it's not lightning the charts) and GP Ultimate at 12.99€ / month (we are using standard GP pricing here), it will take 499€ / 12.99€ = 39 months to recoup the cost of the console. Even if we assume the Series X profit margin is 25% that's a year of GP subscription (which is not 100% net profit, you need to factor in server cost, GP deals, etc.). Will people playing only one game (CoD, Fortnite, Destiny 2) continue to subscribe to the service for such a time? Maybe, but I don't think we have a big enough sample size.

Last edited:

TVexperto

I don't want that filth in my TVs. As long as it's possible to delete the apps it's fine though.
what the fuck are you talking about? its not like the apps appear automatically on your tv, you have to download them through the app store on LG just like the other media apps

nemiroff

Gold Member
what the fuck are you talking about? its not like the apps appear automatically on your tv, you have to download them through the app store on LG just like the other media apps
The fuck are _you_ talking about? It's not like pre-loaded and uninstallable apps in TVs, mobiles, computers should be a shock to anyone. One of my Samsung TVs has plenty of uninstallable apps, and it's so bad that every time I boot it up it defaults to automatically playing the Bloomberg channel and there's no way to remove it (it's only possible on _some_ models). Samsung TVs even has non-removable ads in the TV menu now (no joke!) which means I'll probably never buy a Samsung TV again. If the LGs are better than that's fucking awesome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom