• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia isn't dead?

Schmick

I cant help but think that 400 games equates to 400 games you'd expect to see on your mobile. That said this surely is reason for MS to keep the momentum going with xCloud I.e. improving features such as bring more compatible touch screen games, bringing it to desktop, and confirm integration with Smart TVs.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

2QMstx.gif

Last edited:

Agent X

Stadia has come a long way in the span of a year.

Most people remember the lofty promises that Google made, and how so many of those promises were unfulfilled when Stadia finally made its public debut. Unfortunately, that first impression has soured a lot of people's lasting opinions of Stadia.

Stadia is in a much better place now. It still isn't the streaming utopia that Google portrayed it to be, but it has improved vastly, and is starting to make good on their vision. I've seen a lot of people say how they hoped Stadia would just roll over and die, but I'm glad that they haven't. Even if you don't plan on using Stadia yourself, you have to hope that they move the medium forward, so that their competitors will be motivated to do the same.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't know a single soul who has Stadia.

The concept of it is bizarre to me. Buy the games and then you're only option is to stream them? I see no benefits in a rental streaming service, but that's just me.

I am maybe considering buying Cyberpunk on Stadia. Is there any point in getting the Chromecast and Controller (for free) if my PC is hooked up to the TV anyway? How is the controller compared to XB1/DS4? Reason I'm considering it is I'm not sure that my PC will be able to run the game better. Geforce Now is also an option though.

SpiceRacz

Why do you guys hate Stadia?

Don't hate it, but I think it's a poor value. Google pitched this thing as an alternative to consoles and the reality is it's more in line with a service like Gamepass. No one looks at Stadia and says, "this is way cheaper than an Xbox." We all look at it and ask ourselves why would we pay for this over Gamepass?

I'd still like to test it out though. Luna seems more promising. I got into the beta and was overall impressed with it.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
400 games like the Action 52

Stadia is dead yes. Remember how they talked about muh 10 teraflops and the games looked like the Xbox One X? Well they don't even have that advantage anymore and Google has said nothing about it.

whyman

Cyberpunk will Be the real test.

If the game is awesome with ray racing, good performances, it could save Stadia's ass (PS5 and Series being out of stock for a long time. Who wants to play it at 18-19 fps on PS4 or 480p on a PC toaster...

I'

It wont. But GeForce Now will have RT.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'd definitely try it but for the cost and Google's track record it's just not worth it.

I'd rather just wait for Lumia from Amazon, way less risk given the model

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Stadia is more than fine and it plays the games it offers great!

You need a fast internet connection. So...if you don't have that (looking at you reporter from Cnet) then don't use it.

I am maybe considering buying Cyberpunk on Stadia. Is there any point in getting the Chromecast and Controller (for free) if my PC is hooked up to the TV anyway? How is the controller compared to XB1/DS4? Reason I'm considering it is I'm not sure that my PC will be able to run the game better. Geforce Now is also an option though.

EDIT: I should read better before responding.

I'd still get the free Chromecast and controller, because why not?

Last edited:
Why do you guys hate Stadia?

"Hate" is probably not the accurate word.

You're asking this question on a forum filled with enthusiasts (likewise most people who talk about games online elsewhere on the internet), who play their games on native hardware, with the lowest possible input lag, and most importantly with minimal data consumption (avg around 50-100GB per game) where the their local internet providers charge a fucking daylight robbery or sometimes even just don't feature unlimited data plans in their (regional) tariffs, and are not locked behind a paywall for current/upcoming hot features that are touted as "nextgen" (or should I say, has been a mainstay for the past 2 or 3 years in the name of "iterated consoles" or PC) like the jump to 4K resolution (native and dynamic).

When an entirely new medium is at your service (let alone a platform), that is marketed as a replacement to your consoles or PC, the existing audience (close to a billion people, consoles and PC combined), will obviously compare it with their hardware of choice, and denounce the product if the features don't match/exceed their native hardware, and also which in turn might shape the future of the medium and their favorite hobby.

This is probably not the target audience for Stadia. It's a service that will only catch up with time, through various devices of access - like TV, smart devices, PC's etc, that too in a hostile environment where an undisputed value for money game subscription services like Gamepass exists. Even PS Now at the moment (if you don't mind the 720 or 1080p resolution) seems like a better deal than a Stadia Pro sub or investing in the Stadia ecosystem.

You don't have to pay a subscription to access your games on Stadia...

You have to pay a subscription fee, for as basic as a feature like 4K resolution on Stadia. 4K has been gaining traction since 2015/2016, and is going mainstream as we speak. The adoption will be, if not faster than that of 1080p displays 10 years ago. So is 120 FPS gaming, both of which are getting affordable these days on PC's and consoles, and are not behind a paywall.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You don't, but if you want them in higher quality you do. Paying for a game to pay more to access it is a bit dodgey I'm sure you can agree.
I don't really see anything dodgey about it; it's a product they sell that does have costs on their end.

Not one I think is worth paying for, but it's not particularly egregious to me that it's a product that exists.

Bogey

Banned
Stadia is actually quite cool, I was quite impressed after trying out that immortals rising demo.

I would actually quite like to use it. I just can't settle on their pricing model. I don't have a ton of faith in the longevity of the service, and am sure as hell not going to buy games at full price that might disappear if stadia fizzles out.

I'd be cool if stadia was able to connect to your steam, epic etc accounts and allowed you to stream compatible games that you bought on there.
I'd even be willing to pay a 10-20 buck monthly sub for stadia then.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Perhaps the model of buying a game and only having access to that game only after paying a subscription was not favourable.
This isn't true at all. Stadia is free to play if you buy a game on it. There's only a monthly charge if you want to play in 4K with 5.1 surround sound.

If a person hates Stadia, they can simply ignore it. No reason to dump on it.

Last edited:

TonyK

I don't hate Stadia but I fear it and I'm glad it was not a success. Reasons? I tested it in the office and it looks worse and has more input lag than the native version. So for me it was terrifying that something worse than my actual setup could be the future of the industry.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Correct me if I'm wrong but Stadia has a monthly subscription and yet you have to buy the games you want to play right? I see no market for this.
Half wrong.
Yup, premium stadia was a pricy joke with a ridiculous line up.

But... Free stadia is a thing.
Like it or not, students will be able to play cyberpunk for 70 bucks !

No console, no sub, only 70 bucks.(Ok + a controller and a toaster or a tablet, smartphone)

There is a HUGE market for this.

I don't say stadia will succeed but it could. (For the moment Google has a sad sad loser strategy.)

Last edited:

Banned
Cyberpunk will Be the real test.

If the game is awesome with ray racing, good performances, it could save Stadia's ass (PS5 and Series being out of stock for a long time. Who wants to play it at 18-19 fps on PS4 or 480p on a PC toaster...

I'

Stadia servers use 11TF GCN GPUs from AMD, they don't support Raytracing. and it's hard to say why but almost every game that was released so far either runs identical to the Xbox One X version of the same game or slightly worse.

it's usually either the same settings as One X but worse framerates or same framerate but worse settings.

in some rare instances we see a complete sidegrade so to speak, where they aren't comparable.
like Destiny 2 runs at 4k30fps on very high settings on One X, but on Stadia it runs at 1080p60fps at medium settings.

so there is no fucking way Cyberpunk will even come close to anything above medium PC settings and will most likely also run at 30fps

Last edited:

Agent X

Correct me if I'm wrong but Stadia has a monthly subscription and yet you have to buy the games you want to play right?

Change "and yet" to "and/or".

There is a monthly subscription called Stadia Pro, which gives you higher quality video streaming, and also several games each month. You can continue to play the Stadia Pro games all you want as long as your subscription remains active. It's similar to PlayStation Plus or Xbox Games with Gold.

If you buy a game outright on Stadia, then you have full access to the game regardless of your Stadia Pro subscription status. Only the video and audio quality changes (higher quality with Stadia Pro).

Perhaps the model of buying a game and only having access to that game only after paying a subscription was not favourable.

There's no subscription needed for games that you purchase. See my comments above.

Google surely needs to improve their communication about Stadia's features and abilities.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Stadia servers use 11TF GCN GPUs from AMD, they don't support Raytracing. and it's hard to say why but almost every game that was released so far either runs identical to the Xbox One X version of the same game or slightly worse.

it's usually either the same settings as One X but worse framerates or same framerate but worse settings.

in some rare instances we see a complete sidegrade so to speak, where they aren't comparable.
like Destiny 2 runs at 4k30fps on very high settings on One X, but on Stadia it runs at 1080p60fps at medium settings.

so there is no fucking way Cyberpunk will even come close to anything above medium PC settings and will most likely also run at 30fps
Raytracing or not, medium settings or not, it's still 70 bucks only which means faaaaar cheaper than any console.

It's Covid era, dude... People are losing their Jobs. Even the 300 dollars of the series S isn't nothing.

Stadia has gold with Cyberpunk, they can kill it.(don't know if they will)

Plus, i guess, raytracing will arrive sooner or later since Stadia is an evolving service (the khronos group said Vulkan's updates will include RT)

Top Bottom