• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia isn't dead?

PedanticJase

Neo Member
yeah, sucks to buy the same games for the same price on other consoles and not to spend $400 on hardware to run it

Well they’re demonstrably more expense, unless you are comparing digital only to digital only. It wouldn’t take too long to close that $400 gap if you’re buying disks and getting stuff in sales.

The real reason that a lot of people including myself are also worried about investing in stadia is the fact they could just take the whole thing offline and you’re totally fucked. I know that steam is the same but it’s established and you have some data on the client side that you could crack in a worst case scenario

small_law

So I'm one of the idiots that signed up for stadia originally. About a month ago I got an email from Google telling that I've somehow qualified for a free Stadia Pro premier edition (the controller and a 4K Chromecast). I got it last week.

That bad boy is going to make somebody really unhappy this Christmas. I'm definitely regifting it. They either won't know what it is and will be let down when they find out, or they'll know what it is and and try to hide their disappointment. I'm thinking my cousins because they want a PS5 and can't find one. "I know you guys wanted PS5, but here's STADIA." Lol.

How do you know he's a cunt? The same way you know i'm a sony loyalist? whatever the fuck that is.

Streaming, just like modern multiplayer, is a ponzi scheme held up by fake revenue: microtransactions (mtx and lootboxes). Yet the corporate shills push it as if it's viable. It isnt. The only reason we see a shred of popularity is because of the 'whales' from mobile, chucking their money at everything.

If Google, Amazon et all, can't even be arsed to put their hand in their pocket to create a decent handheld streaming device (the only real selling point of streaming) then why should i bother entertaining their product? Because you said? Because a company keeps telling me how good it is? Anyone with reasoning can see it's shit.

Look at the back-peddling Google have done over the past 12 months. They aren't confident in their product or clear in their vision, they're just chucking shit at a wall and hoping it sticks.

Why?

Because when the (multiplayer) gaming bubble bursts, and it will within the next 3 years, Google et al will be able to make a clean exit from the business (shut all servers) without a loss.

Where as Sony and Nintendo can fall back on their single player pedigree.
JZrW.gif

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hard to say. 400 games are under development, the stadia thread on era just reached 100 pages. Of course, it could be nothing but it seems the situation is improving a bit for Google.

I expect many "lol" But let's wait the end of the 2022 plan and discuss then.

Stadia is like Windows phone. Many are talking about it online, but you never seen one having it.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You don't need to "have it". You can play on any shitty laptop (and I think android phones/tablets).

You still need to have an account, therefore have the service.

Having something isn't restricted to physical only.

kingwingin

Just recieved my free one and I'm glad I didn't pay for it. Convoluted to set up,
Controller feels cheap and input lag is noticable enough to be annoying.

Tho I am tempted to buy cyberpunk on it due to the hype and not wanting to wait for the true ps5 version.

That's why so many gamers are currently jumping in. It's growing and growing as base consoles are shit for Cyberpunk, PC too expensive and Series X not available.

ThIs is a fantastic point.

The console and high end graphics card shortages, along with Cyberpunks subpar console performance, must be doing absolute wonders for Stadia.

I can’t wait to see how this tech evolves.

VivaR3V

Neo Member
Just recieved my free one and I'm glad I didn't pay for it. Convoluted to set up,
Controller feels cheap and input lag is noticable enough to be annoying.

Tho I am tempted to buy cyberpunk on it due to the hype and not wanting to wait for the true ps5 version.

So, you begin with a lot of negativity about how terrible it is for you to set up? I found the same thing when I set up my PS5 recently, with its consulted stand, having to turn it on its side, move it around, fiddle with a screw thing. Oddly, Stadia I never had a problem with?

You mention input lag? Weird, I am playing more of cyberpunk on Stadia than my PS4 (convenience on iPad) and have no noticeable input lag comparing it to my PS5 version.

I think a lot of problems stadia has from groups (of any location) that believe their view is the only view in the world, and base this on following the noise of their particular group. it doesn’t matter if it’s Reddit, here, Era or anywhere. The voices that kick something will shape the view of middle of the road people who do not wish to try something and dare one say, form their own none biased view.

You can’t hide the fact that people are seeing that it works and this fear of cloud gaming is changing.

Amory

I got a free stadia premiere edition a couple months ago for being signed up to YouTube Premium. I think it's smart that they're starting to just give out the equipment to get people using the platform. It's evident at this point that they need to do more to create an install base if they honestly want to compete.

The tech works pretty well. It's impressive to play current gen, graphics intensive games in 4k HDR using just a controller and a chromecast. It's kind of mind blowing tbh, and it's a great option for occasional gamers who don't want a giant next-gen box cluttering up their entertainment center.

But input lag is a very real issue for this platform, and so it's hard to recommend it for any genres which require precision. FPS, platformers, any kind of competitive multiplayer are generally just no-go's on Stadia, IMO. I'm playing Cyberpunk on Stadia, and the input lag when you're aiming can make combat a real chore. It's not even that the lag is that bad, but you'll definitely notice it.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I got a free stadia premiere edition a couple months ago for being signed up to YouTube Premium. I think it's smart that they're starting to just give out the equipment to get people using the platform. It's evident at this point that they need to do more to create an install base if they honestly want to compete.

The tech works pretty well. It's impressive to play current gen, graphics intensive games in 4k HDR using just a controller and a chromecast. It's kind of mind blowing tbh, and it's a great option for occasional gamers who don't want a giant next-gen box cluttering up their entertainment center.

But input lag is a very real issue for this platform, and so it's hard to recommend it for any genres which require precision. FPS, platformers, any kind of competitive multiplayer are generally just no-go's on Stadia, IMO. I'm playing Cyberpunk on Stadia, and the input lag when you're aiming can make combat a real chore. It's not even that the lag is that bad, but you'll definitely notice it.
The issue will be reduced years after years as long as Google keeps improving its technology and high speed internet expand in the world.
It's still the beginning of cloud gaming (Stadia or Luna's controllers already reduce latency... there is still room to improve this with new Monitor et cetera)

Banned
Millions of gamers will think the same after playing it with fiber internet.

yeah they will be impressed with the lowest NPC and draw distance setting out of any platform, and lower resolution than backwards compatible versions on PS5 and SX lol.

I heard Cyberpunk was running better on Stadia than on PS4/XONE and then this happens:

someone was really willing to hurt them. Either that or their quantum AI is willing to break free...

Karunamon

I think he was talking about the old model. (10 bucks + the price of the game)

But it's not relevant anymore since there is the free Stadia or the subscription + free games (I saw a lot of subscribers who almost paid 0 game and have now like 40 games or more. Next year, they'll have like 100 games so it's not that inferior to say the game pass. You have more games you can keep on Stadia and more turn over on gamepass/x cloud. It's quite different though.)

I'd be a lot less down on this service if it wasn't being run by Google. You know, that company with the organizational attention span of a methed-up goldfish and a list of dead products roughly the same length as Cyberpunk's v1.0 bug list.

Also, paying full price for games tied to a streaming platform (i.e., a rental) is insane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom