• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia old school game exclusives Bomberman and Pac-Man look fun

00_Zer0

I don't have Stadia yet, but with games like Super Bomberman R online and the newly announced Pac-Man Mega Tunnel Battle, the service is looking mighty tempting for an old school gamer like me. What's the bare minimum costs and equipment I need to get Stadia up and running to experience these two games on my tv while I wait for them to be released on Switch or Steam in the future.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Super Bomberman R Online is pretty fun but when I played it (on release) I was paired up with TONS of AI bots, which made the game much less fun. On top of that, it took several minutes between matches to find a crowd.

If you have a PC or laptop (specs don't matter, because it's streaming) you can just pay the $9.99 and start playing, bonus points if you already have a USB or bluetooth controller laying around. Same is true for mobile devices. If you want to play Stadia on your TV, you've gotta buy their kit which is $80.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Super Bomberman R Online is pretty fun but when I played it (on release) I was paired up with TONS of AI bots, which made the game much less fun. On top of that, it took several minutes between matches to find a crowd.

If you have a PC or laptop (specs don't matter, because it's streaming) you can just pay the $9.99 and start playing, bonus points if you already have a USB or bluetooth controller laying around. Same is true for mobile devices. If you want to play Stadia on your TV, you've gotta buy their kit which is $80.

Thanks for the reply. I have no desire to be on mobile, but I'm willing to try it for a month or so on my PC for these two games. Based on your comments about being pitted against AI bots it sounds like not many people are enjoying these great looking games due to lack of interest in the service. I won't be a permanent subscriber to the service, but will be joining for a month or so out of curiosity based on these two games alone. If they never release on a system like Switch or Steam where an audience might appreciate them more then se la vie I guess.

sn0man

I love local multiplayer but that Bomberman looked awesome. I don't know why Nintendo hasn't started courting Konami to create a sequel to Bomerman 64 on N64. They could call it Bomerman 65 and allow for 65 player multiplayer. it sounds like a ridulous fun download game.

Off-topic:
That said, does anyone know if the Switch and PS4 Bomberman physical games were any good. Would someone recommend one over the other?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Don't you need to buy the games in addition to the monthly fee though? Did they change that?
There is now a free tier of Stadia*. Just buy the game.

* Limited to 1080p

Banned
once again Stadia exclusives that have such simple graphics that they would most likely be able to run natively on a freaking android TV box or even on most TV APUs and are most likely less than a gigabyte in size.
I had a Samsung TV in 2016 that natively ran games like Asphalt 8 ffs.

which makes it a waste of bandwidth for them to be only playable via cloud streaming.

MacReady13

Well it’s time to sell my PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch. Won’t be needing anymore because Stadia has the best games.

Was thinking the same thing. I also HAD a pre order for both a PS5 and Series X. Due to the types of games coming out on Stadia i'm going to be purchasing one of those bad boys instead and live out my dream- streaming simple games onto my TV! Good times ahead!

00_Zer0

These seem like games I'd want to play any way other than streaming.
Well I didn't notice Super Bomberman R online being advertised as first on Stadia like the new Pac-Man game, but hopefully both show up on all the other major platforms. I long for the day when smaller/niche multiplayer games like these are released on all platforms with cross platform support so there would be great potential for online games to be filled with plenty of players.

jaysius

Banned
These should be the first 2 games of a Stadia Gamepass service, I wouldn’t buy these for anything over $10

Putting the bomberman in that type of service would help its online matchmaking too.

Last edited:

Agent X

Super Bomberman R Online is the best game I've played on Stadia. It's very well done and amazingly fun.

They released the demo of Pac-Man Mega Tunnel Battle today. I tried one quick game a few minutes ago. On the surface, it has much in common with Super Bomberman R Online, such as supporting up to 64 simultaneous players, and having multiple interconnected playfields. I actually won my first game, purely using old-school Pac-Man skills, but I had very little direct interaction with the other players. This is a stark contrast to Super Bomberman R Online, which is designed in such a way that it forces you to interact with other players in an attempt to outwit them. I'll have to put in some more time to get a better understanding of how everything is supposed to work, but my early impression is that Super Bomberman R Online is a much better game if you're looking for fast and frantic multiplayer thrills.

I won't be a permanent subscriber to the service, but will be joining for a month or so out of curiosity based on these two games alone. If they never release on a system like Switch or Steam where an audience might appreciate them more then se la vie I guess.

Both of these games are being promoted as "first on Stadia", which implies a period of timed exclusivity. I expect both games to reach other major platforms eventually.

Top Bottom