• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stan Lee, who was exploited for the last few years of his life, will now be exploited posthumously!

ManaByte

Gold Member
They support a certain side in the cultural war, yes. They have made that known.

Basically Chapek is so hated that he knows Disney is going to kick him to the curb next March when his contract expires so he desperately is trying to get people within the company to like him. He caved in to the very vocal mob voice and now the company is suffering even more for it.

DKehoe

My goodness these conversations get so reductive. Hence why they are better avoided.

They support a certain side in the cultural war, yes. They have made that known.
I'm just asking what the motivation and goals are. When I hear people talk about this culture war stuff there never really seems to be a throughline for it. It's always just kinda vague. That "they" want to do something like make more people gay or trans but the exact reason why or what it achieves isn't really clear.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm just asking what the motivation and goals are. When I hear people talk about this culture war stuff there never really seems to be a throughline for it. It's always just kinda vague. That "they" want to do something like make more people gay or trans but the exact reason why or what it achieves isn't really clear.
General Jack D. Ripper : Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water or rainwater? And only pure grain alcohol?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake : Well, it did occur to me, Jack, yes.

General Jack D. Ripper : Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation - fluoridation of water?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake : Jack, yes, I have heard of that, Jack. Yes.

General Jack D. Ripper : Well, do you know what it is?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake : No, I don't know what it is.

General Jack D. Ripper : Do you realise that fluoridation - is the most monstrously-conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

Madonis

Stan Lee's last few months on Earth were quite miserable by most accounts. It's just hard to figure out who was actually exploiting him (probably everyone, to be honest, but it can be debated).

That said, he was always into self-promotion of his image even during his better days, so maybe Stan the Man himself would approve of this.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
If we don't want this thread to be locked we should veer it back to talking about how Chapek is going to Weekend at Bernie's Stan Lee.
Stan Lee's last few months on Earth were quite miserable by most accounts. That said, he was always into self-promotion of his image, so maybe Stan the Man himself would approve of this.

This has nothing to do with him and everything to do with his daughter not having him around anymore to exploit so she has to ring money out of his corpse.

DKehoe

If we don't want this thread to be locked we should veer it back to talking about how Chapek is going to Weekend at Bernie's Stan Lee.

This has nothing to do with him and everything to do with his daughter not having him around anymore to exploit so she has to ring money out of his corpse.
I wonder how close we are to having something like Robin Williams or Heath Ledger getting cast in an MCU movie. That'd be really grim.

Last edited:
There's an easy answer to this as the various participants of the culture war have explicitly stated what some of their goals are. I've got quotes, with references.

BUT, I won't go into that, at least not here, because if we don't get this thread back on track (and FAST), it's likely going to get locked due to the political nature of that conversational path.

As M Madonis above said, Stan Lee was into a lot of self promotion. I'm sure that part of him loved being out there and being loved by people. As opposed to, say... Jack Kirby. Speaking of Kirby, the most I've ever seen attributed to him is a line at the end of the credits of the video game Marvel Super Heroes (the Capcom fighting game).

I'm sure he's been credited somewhere in the MCU but it's not as obvious.

Azurro

Banned

You are right, let's avoid the lock, sorry everyone.

I think it's pretty fucked up to have your descendant sign away your rights, as if you become a puppet with a hand up in your ass to make you say "buy the latest iPhone!".

I know the person is dead but, shouldn't there be some protections for the dignity of the individuals even if they have passed away?

Madonis

That's fair enough. She was in fact one of the people who exploited him the most, so that's not surprising either.

What I meant is that Stan, if he were around, probably wouldn't really object to the idea of having his name and image used far into the future as long as he had received compensation. That's not exactly what is happening now, of course.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
You are right, let's avoid the lock, sorry everyone.

I think it's pretty fucked up to have your descendant sign away your rights, as if you become a puppet with a hand up in your ass to make you say "buy the latest iPhone!".

I know the person is dead but, shouldn't there be some protections for the dignity of the individuals even if they have passed away?

Lets look at Ghostbusters: Afterlife for example. That movie was written by a guy who literally grew up on the sets of the first two movies with Harold Ramis along with Ramis' daughter. He wrote the movie as a goodbye and tribute to him, and he wouldn't have done it if Ramis' daughter and family objected to the script.

This is Lee's daughter saying "oh shit, my dad is dead how will I survive" and signing off his corpse for a 20 year payday.

BigBooper

From how I seen Stan. He’d probably love it. It’s not like people are running to see movies because Stan lee has a cameo in them, so that whole greedy Disney doesn’t make much sense to me. He’s not selling tickets. Seems like a nice homage to him. That’s just my opinion
That might be true. I admit I was swayed by the topic title possibly more than I should have been. If he agreed to it ahead of time, that'd be better, but there's no real indication that he'd be against this idea.

It feels insulting, but I guess if my family could keep making the big bucks after I died for my likeness, I'd probably let them.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
They had the CEO crying for forgiveness from the woke crowd and bowing to fight against a Florida law that prohibits talking to children about sexual activities and genders. The thing is activist teachers are promoting gender theory to children and nudging them to become trans/gay, hence grooming them to their sexual ideas. There was even an activity of a teacher telling children how to masturbate and Disney is supporting them.

It sounds like conspiracy theory because of how crazy insane it is, but it unfortunately is real.
giphy.webp

MrMephistoX

Do we have evidence that this was done against his family's will? He loved being apart of the MCU. I have a hard time believing they are doing this without any care or attention to him or his family.

This feels like a "Fuck Disney! Yeah!" kind of reaction.
To be fair family members exploit the shit out of likeness rights and content rights. Look at Elvis Sinatra and he’ll Christopher Tolkien publishing random notes his dad never intended to publish.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
To be fair family members exploit the shit out of likeness rights and content rights. Look at Elvis Sinatra and he’ll Christopher Tolkien publishing random notes his dad never intended to publish.
True, but we know that Stan Lee loved being in MCU. I get that his family is doing it for the cash, but at the same time I would think that Lee would want his family to be financially secure. The fan base loved the Stan Lee cameos, he loved them, and now there will be more of them. I don't really see the issue.

I feel like this is more about people just wanting to dunk on Disney/MCU because reasons.

Top Bottom