• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen announces a new ship in a private party at an entry price of 274 dollars

Kamina

Golden Boy
The longer this game is stuck in “development” and the more they ask for ridiculous amounts of money for nothing, the harder the backlash will be at one point.

It really is amazing that they have been able to create a community that is not only happy, but excited to purchase these ships at these exorbitant prices. People are super excited to pay $725 for one ship. I’m honestly amazed.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17203-Aegis-Nautilus

Look at the comments of people who bought. I don’t judge though - people think I’m crazy for how much I spend on cigars and scotch. Lol To each their own and all that.

Last edited:
It really is amazing that they have been able to create a community that is not only happy, but excited to purchase these ships at these exorbitant prices. People are super excited to pay $725 for one ship. I’m honestly amazed.

Look at the comments of people who bought. I don’t judge though - people think I’m crazy for home much I spend on cigars and scotch. Lol To each their own and all that.
It's called a cult

joe_zazen

Look at the comments of people who bought. I don’t judge though - people think I’m crazy for how much I spend on cigars and scotch. Lol To each their own and all that.

Now i want some Chipmunk blend pipe tobbacco. Damn i miss my pipes.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

So I was reading the comments and there were some people complaining that in the UK the ship is 810$ because of the value added tax.

I have no words....

I wonder how many people actually wanted Star Citizen to be super open space simulator instead of spiritual successor to Wing Commander.

desertdroog

Is there a public spreadsheet of all possible ships that can be bought, levels of committal, ranks, etc... From crowdfunding to today, what a sole person who is a superfan has spent on this game?

I'm curious what that total would look like if someone purchased one of everything that is possible for a single player, with no concern for money.

DiscoJer

I wonder how many people actually wanted Star Citizen to be super open space simulator instead of spiritual successor to Wing Commander.

It's a spiritual successor to Privateer, which was a Wing Commander spin-off open space simulator that was incredibly popular, and his later game Freelancer.

Riven326

Banned
The worst part is that you just know that they are laughing their asses off at their fans behind closed doors.

"Watch these fucking mongs buy this shit up. We can do anything"
I was talking to a friend about this game a couple weeks ago and I said this is exactly what they're doing. It's a real asshole business strategy, but it is legit. Like what's her name selling her bath water.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Chris Roberts: We need more money. Anyway we can squeeze another $250 out of these idiots?

Marketing dude: How about selling more ships?

Chris: Ya, we can do that, but I think the cult is wearing thin on them. Any ideas?

Marketing: We can sell smaller ships at a cheaper cost. Maybe $250 each and see if it flies?

Chris: But that would mean the graphic guys spending time making another ship when we need them to finish the art work on galactic toothpicks and sandworm snot

Marketing: I got it. How about we do a dinner gala?

Chris: How much is a catered chicken and potato dinner with Pepsi and a slice of apple pie?

Marketing: About $24 all in.

Chris: Ok, send out applications for a space age dinner parade. Set the price at $274. That way, we still make $250 per head

Barakov

Gold Member
This has to be the biggest scam in gaming. They basically built a space theme cosmetic dlc simulator you can walk and fly ships in. Pretty ingenious once you think about it.

Paltheos

I often forget this game is a thing. I think I've relegated it in my mind as vaporware. I've got a friend who's pretty deep in but I haven't checked with him in a while to see if he's put more money down.

If all the PR is true, the company really needs to nail down timed objectives instead of trying to do absolutely everything. I recall something about developing one component of the game externally and finding out it's incompatible with what another team was developing? It all... sounds messy.

manfestival

I got talked into getting the game after much time of not wanting to get it because I tried it during a free flight weekend and it just for like a shell of a game. I am part of a small community that is OBSESSED with this game(I joined them through their other obsession of warhammer 40k). There are quite a few guys that have easily dropped $1000+ in my group and I know one of them wanted to be a part of this dinner but could not make it. These guys are all sold on the promise and the possibility. They believe in the vision SOOOO much. The only fun I currently have is just sneaking onto people's ships and then killing them when we get out of the armistice zone. Then I take their ships and commit crimes in them(kinda like when someone takes your car through a toll booth) and they get dinged for it. Granted, none of this stuff matters since there are constant server wipes. Also the big argument lately is that Squadron 42 is coming(in like 2-3 years maybe? lol) and that they need the assets from that to be created and then they will be ported to the main game. Also this single player game apparently HAS to be finished before the shell starts becoming anything remotely decent... I guess. The shell is still pretty cool and pretty amazing to look at. There isn't much substance that isn't surface level though. There is nothing quite like boarding a friends ship to try to sit down in the passenger seat but have your legs suddenly get broken and you bleed to death to be respawned on the other side of the system.

Figured I would share my thoughts on it all.

I swear people complaining about Kickstarter scams left and right is just the way of the universe to make us pay karma points for this fucking thing...

Has per usual, the biggest culprits are celebrated not crucified.

Poordevil

My son supported this game. He bought a huge mouse pad with a picture of space ships on it. It's a nice mouse pad, but this was years ago! Back then if anyone told him Star Citizen would not be shipped by 2019... he would have said, you must be crazy.

nikolino840

You will of course notice that our target Beta date for Squadron 42 has moved back by 12 weeks in today’s Roadmap update, but this is a necessary step as a result of changing the overall development cadence, which we expect will create positive results in the overall delivery and experience of Squadron 42.

Star Citizen devs.

I really don't understand who spends so much on this or more importantly why? Yes I pledged, but I've never dreamed to see such a mismanaged project.

At this point just forget the game even exist and if it ever gets released than great.

RSI has essentially tapped into the mentally ill, e-thot donating, bathwater buying market. Which means that they're also free of criticism whether they even officially finish their game or not. Impressive hustle.

Top Bottom