• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen developer lays out four-stage roadmap to get to new roadmap.

Burger

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ans-still-waiting-for-new-squadron-42-roadmap

As spotted by Kotaku, CIG's four-part plan for a new plan goes as follows:
  1. Give an explanation of the goals of our new Roadmap and what to expect from it
  2. Show a rough mockup of the proposed new Roadmap
  3. Share a work in progress version of the Roadmap for at least one of our core teams
  4. And then finally transition to this new Roadmap

As one commenter pointed out:

The Star Citizen Kickstarter was the month before the Wii U was released

You couldn't make it up.

thelastword

Banned
Star Citizen has had more roadmaps than a tourist booth.......This game feels like it has been in development for an eternity, with lots of enormous ambitions unfulfilled....

PresetError

Neophyte
It's never coming out. The only reasonable question at this point is how many more years of development Star Citizan has left.

The conversation related to SC is always the same, and it's kinda stale now.

The game is never coming out in a traditional sense, just get over it. Its financial model seems to work, it's perfectly legal, and players (yes, players) are obviously fine with it.

And by the way, you can do some really cool stuff in there (again: not in a traditional sense).

And I'm not defending it or anything: never actually bought or played anything, but I always find new implementations and tech upgrades really fascinating.

It's a good thing for gaming this monstrosity exists, after all.

Exede

I really like this game so far, endless possibilitys. BUT CIG needs to deliver the single player and with it the promises they made for it. The open world can wait but i also see that the roaming universe is generating them 100s of millions of dollars.

I log in every few months to enjoy the new features. It's just a beautyful game.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Elite is such a boring game. I've had more fun in the bare bones buggy mess that SC is today.

It's funny because it's true. And I say this as a fan of Elite Dangerous. ED is still a solid title though. SC is just more fun to me (yes SC exists and you can actually play it right now and have fun in it despite all the memes).

Last edited:
I really like this game so far, endless possibilitys. BUT CIG needs to deliver the single player and with it the promises they made for it. The open world can wait but i also see that the roaming universe is generating them 100s of millions of dollars.

I log in every few months to enjoy the new features. It's just a beautyful game.

Huh? Wasting time with single player is one of the reasons the persistent universe is taking as long as it is.

Probably a good test case for some interesting societal studies. Essentially these people paid $300 million just so that they can be a part of a group and feel like they belong somewhere. Its like their church, except even the Pope would be envious of that haul.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Probably a good test case for some interesting societal studies. Essentially these people paid $300 million just so that they can be a part of a group and feel like they belong somewhere. Its like their church, except even the Pope would be envious of that haul.

Much like most hobbies and interest in life I guess, and especially easy to look at it like this when it's not your own interest.

Exede

Huh? Wasting time with single player is one of the reasons the persistent universe is taking as long as it is.
Yes but it was planned as single player when people pledged the kickstarter. The mmo thingy came after. So they need to deliver sp first in my opinion.

Fbh

Ok hear me out.....what if Star Citizen is actually Avatar 2?!?!?!

This game is the bench mark for next gen. Hate on it all ya want, its still impressive.

What's impressive about it?

If anything I find it kinda funny how it has taken so long to come out that it has slowly gone from this AAA game with next gen visuals that would really take advantage of PC hardware without having to be held back by weak console hardware .... to a standard looking next gen game that will probably run fine enough on next gen console if they decide to port it.
If it's going to take them another 8 years it might actually look dated by the time it's out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This had scam written all over it in 3-4 years ago (maybe even more).

There's supposed to be some S42 test this quarter (delayed many times already). Looks like that's pushed off again.

But hey, when you got almost $300 million from supporters and somehow keeps going up, might as well just keep on working on it getting a salary.

Release an unfinished shit game and get a spike in revenue from people buying the game, but then the hype and support funds stop. Game will be terrible, sales low and then they'd have to Kickstart a Star Lord Prequel game and start the scam again.

MrA

Banned
couldn't those 4 steps be condensed to 1, create new road map,
also this is why publisher need to reign in so many creators, unlimited money and no accountability results in this absurdity.
Though I will still say this isn't a scam, clearly they are making something, and that something is what they advertised, it is just being handled profoundly poorly.

Ok hear me out.....what if Star Citizen is actually Avatar 2?!?!?!

What's impressive about it?

If anything I find it kinda funny how it has taken so long to come out that it has slowly gone from this AAA game with next gen visuals that would really take advantage of PC hardware without having to be held back by weak console hardware .... to a standard looking next gen game that will probably run fine enough on next gen console if they decide to port it.
If it's going to take them another 8 years it might actually look dated by the time it's out.
I do agree about its time frame and how absurdly long it has taken. But i think you really are missing the bigger picture.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
How long has this game been in development now? 8-9 years? By time it comes out it'll be outdated.

Be funny if someone else who wasn't stalling for cash hopped on and did something to compete with Star Citizen, effectively draining their resources.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

Ah a new four stage scam-map. Bet the marks can't wait!

Ten fucking years.
It took less time to build actual spaceships, fly them through actual space, land astronauts on an actual world and bring them back home again after having played a round of Lunar golf.

Remember when Duke Nukems development was the long running joke of the gaming community? Well hand over the crown Duke cos there's new Shit King in town!

And no, I don't admire or respect the hustle, scammers are degenerate filth.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
Well, I think it servers everyone that keeps falling for it well.

Anyone that was willing to put money on this after the kickstarter deserves what they got.

Last edited:
No one else is trying to do what RSI is. If SC makes even 75% of its promises it will be unlike any game out there and will inspire others to break out of the rut gaming has been in for the past decade. At least they are trying - I’d rather have that than nothing.

ShadowNate

I am trying to build a sliding staircase to the moon so that people can just woosh their way back and forth, and colonise that shit.

I'll be trying to do this for the next years and it may take more than a decade -- but probably not.

Will follow a perpetual funding approach; either the project is complete or I die having tried.

No one else has done this, and it will be inspiring to everyone.

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
Star Citizen will NEVER be finished because by the time it eventually gets done, technology will have evolved so much that the base it's built-on will be archaic.

But I salute the effort and sandbox approach, it's just too expensive (or rather ships are too expensive) for the little it offers.

Top Bottom