• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen developer lays out four-stage roadmap to get to new roadmap.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Star Citizen will NEVER be finished because by the time it eventually gets done, technology will have evolved so much that the base it's built-on will be archaic.

But I salute the effort and sandbox approach, it's just too expensive (or rather ships are too expensive) for the little it offers.

simple things like npc and pc locomotion/animation looks super janky because it's way out of date compared to games that came out in the past five years. it's kind of embarassing to see how bad the game runs to make it look good while also simultaneously looking so out of date that the animations in Battlefield 3 or 4 are better

Compsiox

Banned
simple things like npc and pc locomotion/animation looks super janky because it's way out of date compared to games that came out in the past five years. it's kind of embarassing to see how bad the game runs to make it look good while also simultaneously looking so out of date that the animations in Battlefield 3 or 4 are better
It doesn't matter if it looks outdated. The game will find its players if they follow through with everything eventually.

Rikoi

This looks like the biggest scam in the whole gaming industry.
This game will be delayed for years because they are making tons of money with idiots that give them hundreds of millions to buy a ship in a game that doesn't exist.
By the time this game comes out (if ever) it will be considered already retrogaming.

So what finishes and releases first?

• Star Citizen
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2
  • Rockstars: Agent
Any takers?
Probably half life 3

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned

No it looks that way because servers ticks way to slow. They pllan to fix it when their multiserver instancing will go online sometime end of this year/early next year along with new system.

Shai-Tan

Banned
No it looks that way because servers ticks way to slow. They pllan to fix it when their multiserver instancing will go online sometime end of this year/early next year along with new system.

The last time I looked above and below the waist looked almost like they were disassociated. I wasn't trying to turn it into a thread bagging on the game though so I'll stop

Dontero

Banned
The last time I looked above and below the waist looked almost like they were disassociated. I wasn't trying to turn it into a thread bagging on the game though so I'll stop

Yeah animations look jerky but like i said it is mostly because servers are super slow with ticks and game tries to compensate for that. Also i don't see it as thread bagging. They plan in next patch 3.11 to do some band aid on that before final fix.

llien

If it is already fun to play, why don't they release it in beta state?
Hasn't Minecraft sold it's first 100k while in "beta" or even "alpha"?

Zephir

Now THIS is a game that clearly deserves more money!

tenor.gif

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You may love Star Citizen if you want but saying it is less boring than ED...You have to have a strong argument about that guys.

You can say what you want about Star Citizen, but ED is far behind SC in a lot of ways. You can do way more in SC and it build around space legs, something ED still needs to implement. Other then being stuck in your ship, and some shooting around, there isn't much you can do compared to SC.

Star Citizen is still cheaper then ED in the end, where ED ask money for every update. Yes you can buy ships with real money but those ships are also available in-game atm.

Ontopic:

This whole issue about the roadmap is not about Star Citizen but Squadron 42.

Last edited:

PapyDoc

You can say what you want about Star Citizen, but ED is far behind SC in a lot of ways. You can do way more in SC and it build around space legs, something ED still needs to implement. Other then being stuck in your ship, and some shooting around, there isn't much you can do compared to SC.

Star Citizen is still cheaper then ED in the end, where ED ask money for every update. Yes you can buy ships with real money but those ships are also available in-game atm.

Ontopic:

And it takes what for SC to have 40% of what ED propose right now ? 5 years ? ED was launched 6 years ago and still have more content than SC. Sorry but the galactic trading system is still not as good as ED's. Exploration, for now, is better on SC I can agree on that, But we will see what happen with Odyssey and what I can tell about the side jobs on SC ?
And don't talk about the DLC of ED, we don't even know if SC will be launched one day. if by miracle this scam is finished and they manage to sell more overprice ships and then DLC, your point is killed.

Last edited:

Esca

yo dawg we got a road map for your road map so you can road map the road map.

I spent$35 for a shop to get this game done years ago now. This is getting ridiculous

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ontopic:

Which just makes it worse. Originally this was just supposed to be a new Wing Commander from the guy who made Wing Commander, that is what people were excited about. Now six years late and after a decade of development, people who just want to play a goddamn singleplayer flight sim have to follow the roadmap that ends up on the roadmap.

Ten years! For perspective,. every single Wing Commander game, from the first one to the last, was made in a 7 year timeframe.

Rikoi

When did this thing hit its funding goal? LOL
As far as I know it has been in development for 8 years.
It hit 65 million dollars back in 2014 which was their last goal, then they broke the 300 million dollars record recently.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I can’t wait for the Netflix documentary showing where all the money has actually been going, I’m sure it’s a juicy tale, I picture: drugs, fast cars, prostitution, some random cartel laundering money through it.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And it takes what for SC to have 40% of what ED propose right now ? 5 years ? ED was launched 6 years ago and still have more content than SC. Sorry but the galactic trading system is still not as good as ED's. Exploration, for now, is better on SC I can agree on that, But we will see what happen with Odyssey and what I can tell about the side jobs on SC ?
And don't talk about the DLC of ED, we don't even know if SC will be launched one day. if by miracle this scam is finished and they manage to sell more overprice ships and then DLC, your point is killed.

More content in what way? I don’t think so. No fps combat, no ground vehicles the way SC has, no ground mission. Cargo missions is different but way more immersive then ED, samen as Mining atm. SC is build around immersion, space ships with fully functional interior. It’s a whole different league compared to ED. I’m not saying ED is a bad game. I do like some elements the game has, but in the end...ED is nothing compared in a lot of ways to SC.

Star Citizen as a MMO won’t release because it will constant be in development. I don’t care because i can play it already and i do not have to wait for it. Squadron 42 is something else and will be released and i’m sure that will be before the end of 2021. Beta should release hopefully later this year (small beta for Evocati tester, or in the first half of next year.

And well, let them sell more ships for real money, i don’t care? I mean, almost every released ship is already available in-game so your point is already killed. New backers can already benefit from this. Personally, i’ve purchased all of my ships with real money since 2016. My goal is not to grind in this game to buy a ship, i want to play the game and explore it with my Org. Focussing on all the mechanics and Org gameplay, like exploration, traiding, mining, salvaging etc.

Which just makes it worse. Originally this was just supposed to be a new Wing Commander from the guy who made Wing Commander, that is what people were excited about. Now six years late and after a decade of development, people who just want to play a goddamn singleplayer flight sim have to follow the roadmap that ends up on the roadmap.

Ten years! For perspective,. every single Wing Commander game, from the first one to the last, was made in a 7 year timeframe.

Scope on both games changed and i’m glad they followed that, because if i look back at the original game, i wouldn’t back it. 2012 was the kickstarter, full production was around 2013/2014 on both games and not 2012.

Atm, it’s important to launch SQ42 and not Star Citizen. The majority of the devs are working on this game instead of Star Citizen. I really think it gives them more air when SQ42 is released.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned

Ontopic:

Are you ignorant? ED is a game. SC is a tech demo. To knock ED because it doesn't have space legs (yet, coming 2021) ... really?

And are you seriously suggesting there's a lot to do in SC? Because LMFAO. It's clear you're just trolling at this point.

Lanrutcon

"Hey guys, we should probably create a roadmap for producing a roadmap which allows us to develop a roadmap that will help us to reach our long term goal of building a roadmap to assist in putting together a roadmap for our future roadmap(s).

Also, we should probably finish that game we've been developing for 8 years."

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Are you ignorant? ED is a game. SC is a tech demo. To knock ED because it doesn't have space legs (yet, coming 2021) ... really?

And are you seriously suggesting there's a lot to do in SC? Because LMFAO. It's clear you're just trolling at this point.

It’s easy to say that i’m trolling if you even can’t say what ED has more. None of the people can’t, because ED does not have more then space flight and some half working ground vehicle stuff.

Calling it a techdemo is your opinion, not a fact. So i know who is trolling around here. Even ED is not done, and still a lot of people calling it boring compared to SC, because it doesn’t have more mechanics implemented then SC. In 2016 it was ED or SC for me to play, and i choose for Star Citizen because the project looked more interesting then ED. I have played ED for a while but other then flying around and do missions in space, SC has way more to offer for me.

Yoboman

Maybe if you selfish dumbasses just put more money in the project it would come out. You can't expect game devs to release a game when the CEO only has 3 mansions

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Also funny how aggressive some people become when SC/SQ42 is in the news. Not only against the devs, but also against the backers. Like it's your money I spent.

Rikoi

I paid £30 for it! How have I been scammed and ripped off?
It was confusing just trying to understand what they said.
The devs basically said that they are making plans to reach a point where they can start making plans on the actual game.
And that's for the squadron 42 part, I won't even think about the MMO part.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

ED is a bad game. A boring game. SC is more fun and it isn't even complete.

That isn't something to gloat about

magaman

Banned
ED is a bad game. A boring game. SC is more fun and it isn't even complete.

That isn't something to gloat about

And that's your opinion. ED has "very positive" recent reviews on Steam, and "mostly positive" overall. You're in the minority.

SC is a running joke for everyone outside of the SC community. Again, you're in the minority.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
And that's your opinion. ED has "very positive" recent reviews on Steam, and "mostly positive" overall. You're in the minority.

SC is a running joke for everyone outside of the SC community. Again, you're in the minority.
ED best space game

leonardo-dicaprio-wolf-of-wall-street-money.gif

Jokes aside the main game looks great, seems light on gameplay and not anywhere near prime time release still. Sad AF, I want to play it. I'm not backing a pipedream and I'll wait until it comes out and has a number of updates first.

Ok, one more joke pic

b9qTlwi.gif

Last edited:

Ixiah

Banned
Arent the People in charge experienced ?
Shouldn´t they be able to avoid an over 5 year long feature creep ?

Dargor

Man, a roadmap for a roadmap, is this a new low?

The people that fund this game are either saints or really stupid.

ShadowNate

Arent the People in charge experienced ?
Shouldn´t they be able to avoid an over 5 year long feature creep ?
Well, Roberts is experienced in running projects terribly and *inserting* feature creep until the work becomes unmanageable and infeasible, based on what happened with his last one, Freelancer.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The game is still in development? I was in High School when I first heard about it, I already finished college and I've been working for like 2 years, and it still isn't finished? wow.
I remember some summary page a while back where the dev claimed the game would have like 100 fully featured planets on this big smorgasbord of features. The progress bar at the time showed 1 planet done. Or maybe not even 1 planet done yet.

For you gamers following SC, you know that recap chart I mean. I don't know if a gamer did it or SC dev themselves, but there was this progress/completion chart someone made.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I remember some summary page a while back where the dev claimed the game would have like 100 fully featured planets on this big smorgasbord of features. The progress bar at the time showed 1 planet done. Or maybe not even 1 planet done yet.

For you gamers following SC, you know that recap chart I mean. I don't know if a gamer did it or SC dev themselves, but there was this progress/completion chart someone made.
It was someone who wasn't a developer, as part of an attempt to visually show how slow the progress was (and how infeasible the project as promised is). I cannot find a recent version of it; google returns results from 3 years ago.

Chris Roberts promised 100 planetary systems btw, not just 100 planets. And then a few years ago they said that upon release we'd be looking at about 5 such systems and they'll keep adding more incrementally.

As far as I know, they now have the one planetary system done, or very close to done anyway. Travel to another system was advertised in last year's CitizenCon but is not in yet.

The whole project is in "pre-alpha" by the way. Eight years in, it never officially entered alpha. So the joke is better than most people realise.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was someone who wasn't a developer, as part of an attempt to visually show how slow the progress was (and how infeasible the project as promised is). I cannot find a recent version of it; google returns results from 3 years ago.

Chris Roberts promised 100 planetary systems btw, not just 100 planets. And then a few years ago they said that upon release we'd be looking at about 5 such systems and they'll keep adding more incrementally.

As far as I know, they now have the one planetary system done, or very close to done anyway. Travel to another system was advertised in last year's CitizenCon but is not in yet.

The whole project is in "pre-alpha" by the way. Eight years in, it never officially entered alpha. So the joke is better than most people realise.

LOL. 100 planetary systems. I was way off. And I thought 100 planets was ginormous already. Good luck with that unless they want to do some NMS random map generator algorithm and just let devs push a button to make the other 99.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

New star systems are now ramping up. Stanton system was always the testbed system for almost every tech. The planet tech tools are more mature right now and they can push multiple moons and planets in just 2 months right now.

The problem is still some of game mechanics that are quite complex, but really interesting to see how they create that. 100 systems is for Star Citizen and they’ve never said it will be 100 systems from day one.

Squadron 42 doesn’t need a lot of this tech because it takes places in one system and it’s. Singleplayer game. A lot of the networking stuff is not needed. A beta from SQ42 should hopefully be released in the next 7 months.

Last edited:

PapyDoc

Also funny how aggressive some people become when SC/SQ42 is in the news. Not only against the devs, but also against the backers. Like it's your money I spent.
I mean, you attacked first you know. Just with the whole SC is better because you can run in my space flight sim. From my point of view if you dare say ED exists and SC is what it is, a shell of a sandbox. You will be responded by: "Yeah but's ED is boring". Something I don't deny, it can't be boring if you don't have a clue of what you can do in this game, just like SC.
But saying has more content than ED annoys me. I mean I don't know if they finally place the quantum simulation, but that without that the game still doesn't have a dynamic economy or quest or sub-mission. Something ED has
Just that says much. I try to tell you you can do stuff on ED and you reply "yeah but boring prefer to take a walk on my ship".
Love and prefer what you want, of course, I will not attacking you for liking SC, god bless you on that. But here is not that produce some "hostility" toward backers

Last edited:

ShadowNate

"Ramping up" is a weird thing to write about a project that just released a non-update where they describe how they have a hard time coming up with a new roadmap to describe progress.

And just to be more on-topic, this is directly from the update:
"This new Roadmap will drastically change how you follow the development progress for both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen "

The new roadmap is for Star Citizen stuff too. And SQ42 is supposedly the big focus this year because it was set to reach beta this very quarter. It is also directly borrowing / sharing mechanics with Star Citizen so it's not a completely irrelevant project, plus backers have been complaining about slow progress on Star Citizen due to what they assume is a shift on CIG putting more resources and effort on SQ42.

Keep in mind that "ramping up" and other such empty optimistic estimates are being written about the progress on this since years ago.

Edit:
100 systems is for Star Citizen and they’ve never said it will be 100 systems from day one.
You are wrong here; I don't know where you are getting your info, but it's not accurate.

Scroll down this page to the "$6,000,000" goal accomplished, and read the first bullet.

Quoting it here for clarity:
"Star Citizen will launch with 100 star systems."

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Squadron 42 doesn’t need a lot of this tech because it takes places in one system and it’s. Singleplayer game. A lot of the networking stuff is not needed. A beta from SQ42 should hopefully be released in the next 7 months.

I don't think it takes place in one system. It wouldn't really make any sense story wise.
Moreover they have shown multiple different locales that looks very very very different from each other which point out there are multiple systems

Imho when they will get SQ42 released they will probably add few systems from SQ42.

Top Bottom