• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen has raised over $300 million now

Starfield

Hey, clueless guy, this game won't release for another 4 years. Maybe more. By that time, it'll be old hat. There are already SC clones that aim to do what SC is doing with teams 1/100th the size.
Hey clueless guy yourself, would you care showing me these games youre speaking of? Or are you full of shit. I believe the 2nd one is more true

Whenever this game passes a milestone in funding, I laugh because plebs cry. This is a rich, nerds, dream!

Notch, if you see this, hook me up with some kind of huge ship for sticking up for you and myself(wanting to be rich nerd status who can retire with motion detector turrets on land far away from cities)

I'm drunk, to be fair.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
A small but rather IMPORTANT update for the game's development. Today they finally have shown what exactly the new roadmap will be and how it will work, coming soon™
So they have a roadmap to explain how they are going to produce the roadmap... That frankly sounds as if they are just taking the piss at this point.

I was one of the early backers of this, but right now I have to say that the heat of my excitement about it has dropped into the millikelvin range.

Starfield

So they have a roadmap to explain how they are going to produce the roadmap... That frankly sounds as if they are just taking the piss at this point.

I was one of the early backers of this, but right now I have to say that the heat of my excitement about it has dropped into the millikelvin range.
I can understand that. You're not alone

ape2man

The progress looks nice, i'm glad a lot of people spend all this money on this dream so i dont have too. When its "finished" ill join the dream.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
When its "finished" ill join the dream.

igfZTvI.jpg

magaman

Banned
Hey clueless guy yourself, would you care showing me these games youre speaking of? Or are you full of shit. I believe the 2nd one is more true

Sure. Check these out!

Dual Universe
Starship EVO
X4: Foundations

If you're more into building ships and a co-op experience, check out Avorion.

If you're more into fixing ships and seeing how Star Citizen is already getting outdated in its tech, see Hardspace: Shipbreaker.

If you're looking for a more AAA feel, you can also check out Elite Dangerous: Odyssey as they're adding space legs.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I will play the game when it actually launches if it doesn't get panned.
Ever hopeful, I see.

Star Citizen will never come out. If it does it will be some slapdash half finished thing so they can say "We released it" and avoid a lawsuit. Or possibly sell it to another company to try to finish.

It's just impossibly ambitious even for a company who has their shit together, and they really, really don't. If it was CD Projekt or something I might say they'll manage to deliver on 2/3 of the promises they made and get something together eventually but that would be a colossal achievement.

I used to be more hopeful about the Squadron 42 component, something that seems more like a real game in scope but based on the near total lack of progress over the last year, even as the cruised past the already delayed release target, it's becoming clear that there are just Valving this thing and working on what they want with no real organization. They're just gonna spin their wheels until it collapses.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I know this is a video of all the things wrong with the game, but damn! That looks amazing in places. If it actually worked, this would be the coolest game ever.

I don't think it's even meant to be a video highlighting all the things wrong with the game, though, just an Escape from Tarkov streamer who plays other games here and there.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sure. Check these out!

Dual Universe
Starship EVO

If you're more into fixing ships and seeing how Star Citizen is already getting outdated in its tech, see Hardspace: Shipbreaker.

If you're looking for a more AAA feel, you can also check out Elite Dangerous: Odyssey as they're adding space legs.

Seems you're really the clueless one. ED adding space legs after years but, but SC is build around this, so it will always be far ahead of this kinda tech, or even planet tech. Not saying ED Odyssey is going to be bad or something. I'm interested in seeing how they are going into this, but saying it already have a more AAA feel....not really.

I think (no it's a fact), SC has more gameplay implemented then ED right now.

iconmaster

Banned

Anyone want to do some math with me?

That's an average of just over $110 per "customer." You cannot generate that kind of revenue on a retail release, and even a subscription service would take a while to produce comparable money. (Assume Star Citizen can command a monthly sub like WoW's and you need everyone to stick around for more than 7 months.)

RSI are financially disincentivized from releasing a finished product.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Maybe this just a large elaborate social experiment to replicate the bureaucracy of the future

"We have a plan to plan for your driver's license."

Last edited:

Starfield

Sure. Check these out!

Dual Universe
Starship EVO

Sure thing buddy. If you wanna have a game look like Minecraft in space with not even half of the features like SC has (and will have) then go for it!

Oh and don't start with Elite Dangerous here aja the most boring space "exploration" game that has ever existed.

magaman

Banned
Sure thing buddy. If you wanna have a game look like Minecraft in space with not even half of the features like SC has (and will have) then go for it!

Oh and don't start with Elite Dangerous here aja the most boring space "exploration" game that has ever existed.

Lmfao. Enjoy your broken tech demo with no gameplay loops after 8 years in development that can't handle more than a dozen players without lagging out. Dual Universe has server meshing going live this month, with loads up to 5,000 users in a single area.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin

Big talk for a game that's not released yet
Just Goku'in

Honey Bunny

Anyone want to do some math with me?

That's an average of just over $110 per "customer." You cannot generate that kind of revenue on a retail release, and even a subscription service would take a while to produce comparable money. (Assume Star Citizen can command a monthly sub like WoW's and you need everyone to stick around for more than 7 months.)

RSI are financially disincentivized from releasing a finished product.
A lot of us backers have come to the conclusion that the only way the game releases is if we can convince people to stop buying ships.

MadAnon

Man, they are so fucked... The technical debt is just astounding. If people are upset about Bethesda games just wait until whatever comes of this.

Now the next Jesus tech that will supposedly turn everything around is "server meshing" and "iCash". Seems like it was just yesterday when all it needed was OCS to be implemented and content floodgates would open according to Hado and the rest of the Citizens. :pie_roffles:

The fact that they are working on some god damn shooter side project in SC universe called "Theaters of War" says a lot. Basically they are too incompetent and untalented to deliver what's needed so they just focus on what many of those devs are competent at - shooters. So let's just crap out some shooter game mode so they can feel like there's some content. The best part is that they claim this mode is to test combat when they already shat out one completely irrelevant (nobody plays it anyway) mode for it called Star Marine.

This whole project is the definition of development hell.

Doesn't help when Citizens also want every proffesion to be so technically deep it would be worthy its own game. Want planets with volumetric clouds, weather systems and whatnot. Just stupid level shit like this.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Will this ever release?
Their video they just released on squadron 42 was like a rough tech demo. I gave them $30 at launch and that was the first time I really thought sincerely “this is never coming out”. So yeah I don’t think so no.

I swear all the true believers are just old boomers who played Wing Commander/Privateer back in the day and are just chasing the dragon. Back in the day parents would spend their kids’ inheritances on vacation homes and boats, now it is spaceship JPEGs.
Truer words have never been spoken. I’d gladly pay $100-200 for a true wing commander game in current gen.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anyone know what the company's estimated monthly cash crunch is?

The revenue seems to creep up probably a couple million every month.

Just wondering if they can perpetually live off donations and pre-order sales and for how long.

They already got $300 million so far. And I think that might even exclude venture capitalist funding (might be mistaken there).

Their video they just released on squadron 42 was like a rough tech demo. I gave them $30 at launch and that was the first time I really thought sincerely “this is never coming out”. So yeah I don’t think so no.

Truer words have never been spoken. I’d gladly pay $100-200 for a true wing commander game in current gen.

Give me Starlancer 2 and I'll give you money.

At least it's an actual game at this point.

And it'll have sprites sooner than SC releases. For a game where the goal was never to have sprites in the first place, they're not doing too bad.

Vtecomega

Banned
SC did amazing thing business wise to get every ship unique which brings a lot of flight simulation guys. Those guys spend shitload for their next cockpits, steering rigs.

Those guys don't fuck around. Yes this is dude in rig that costs more than probably most luxury of cars because he wants to play simulator of 747

Fucking christ. Why doesn't this cunt just become a pilot. The amount of money he spent on that rig he could of bought himself an R35 GTR.

LarknThe4th

Really sucks for everybody who are invested in this project, think the leads let it get out of hand

Last edited:

Starfield

At least it's an actual game at this point.

And it'll have sprites sooner than SC releases. For a game where the goal was never to have sprites in the first place, they're not doing too bad.
You can literally do more in the alpha of Star Citizen than you can do in ED though so that argument won't hold.

GonSama

Which games had a bigger budget than this one?
It's just crazy how people pay thousands of dollars for this (will it ever be released?)

Inviusx

Which games had a bigger budget than this one?
It's just crazy how people pay thousands of dollars for this (will it ever be released?)

It's technically released now, the public server is the MMO side of the game but its basically a test bed for all the stuff they want to add and mechnacis that they are always tweaking. You can buy Star Citizen right now and play with your friends.

The better question is, will it ever be what they promised? Personally I don't think so, I think the scope is so gigantic that its already out of reach for them as a studio. Eventually they need to stop adding new mechanics and start bug fixing but the new stuff is what brings in money so its a vicious cycle that will never be broken, IMHO.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't think the term "raised" really does justice to this effort. Extracted might be a better fit, or perhaps socially engineered

00_Zer0

I have always been interested in this game, but I am taking a wait and see attitude on how it turns out before jumping in. I don't like the precedent this game sets when you can spend hundreds in real world dollars for the different ships available in game. If that kind of DLC or boost is allowed now how will it affect the finished game in the future? When you have people controlling the game based on how powerful their ship is the balance would be tipped in the favor of those spending the most on their ships.

Rat Rage

What you guys haven't realized, is, that the ongoing funding of Star Citizen IS the actual game. It's not meant to ever finish. It's unfinished state feeds the immagination, hopes and dreams of many people. The sheer excitement of dreaming about the finished game, owning ships you've payed real-life money for, immagining how it would be to fly them through the Star Citizen Universe, doing trade, interacting with other pilots, exploring new planets - the expectation of it all - is already something that can't possibly be matched by the final game, so why not just let it all live and prosper in your mind instead?

Top Bottom