• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen PAX dogfight gameplay footage

Given the fact that it is a space "sim," I do not think it will get "faster." Just look at the HUD, the game will be methodical and technical. I think that is what its audience is after...

Ironically looks in a better state then most games in alpha, and this is officially two years before release, and these kind of bugs are day to day fixable.

FireSol

Well, good that I'm not pleget it. Yes, it's looks stunning, but apart of that I'm not impressed. Still dreaming about FreeSpase 3...

Grief.exe

looks gorgeous, but boring
This is my personal stance. Too slow for me, but I'm keeping tabs on it nonetheless in case it surprises me.

At this point, it looks more like a proof of concept or a playable tech demo than anything else.

After the first crash, they turned off damage and the AI opponents are just set to fly in circles.

Wait, so this won't even support lower end PC's? The way he talks about not dumbing down means this is gonna have some crazy specs.

Having a PC more powerful than the next-gen consoles is not exactly a difficult, or expensive, proposition.

By the time Star Citizen is actually released, we will have low-end GPUs with significantly more power than the PS4.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Wait, so this won't even support lower end PC's? The way he talks about not dumbing down means this is gonna have some crazy specs.

Exactly. This is going to be a flagship PC game that will push even what is considered high end now.

Low end PCs are just out of luck, sorry.

They were recommending hardware from the future sometime last year I believe.

Game is going to take a beast to run with everything enabled.

SparkTR

That was the entire pitch, a high-end focused game. The initial tech demo went as low as a GTX460, but that has likely changed by now.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I liked the take-off, then after he fired all the weapons once I was getting more and more bored with the video.
The audience of course sucked, like they always do when they yell randomly.

I thought the helm flip didn't feel weighty enough even though I think in concept it's cool.

Based on the video it doesn't seem like it will work great with the Rift, but that's just my random feelings after seeing the movement in this specific demo.

This is what was stated:

As far as consoles go Star Citizen will never be on the PS3 or Xbox 360. As for the next gen consoles, PS4 and Xbox One, we have NO CURRENT PLANS, but my stance remains open and is consistent with the many interviews I’ve given -

IF the platform holders (Sony & Microsoft) allow us to update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming QC procedures, IF they allow our community to openly interact with each other across platforms then I would CONSIDER supporting them.

So it probably wont happen, but its not impossible.
Holy moly, that sounds like he sees himself as a the god of video games.

Did he or someone of his dev team stated something after the actual reveal of the PS4?

Daedardus

It seems like every Star Citizen thread turns into a PS4 port discussion and people telling why this doesn't look good and why Elite looks better and why everyone wasted his money and why even $40 million can't make a good game.

Granted, nothing else much we can discuss now though.

Seanspeed

Banned

Did he or someone of his dev team stated something after the actual reveal of the PS4?
Huh? He just doesn't want to give in to Sony and Microsoft's demands and water down his vision for the game. Quite understandable.

He's not the god of videogames

however, he is the god of this game in particular

So he isn't behaving out of character when he makes executive decisions

and this doesn't change no matter how big an increase in salt production those decisions engender

There are no words for just how excited I am for this....I remember upgrading to new hard drives just to play each new Wing Commander game as they came out....it looks amazing.

RK9039

It seems like every Star Citizen thread turns into a PS4 port discussion and people telling why this doesn't look good and why Elite looks better and why everyone wasted his money and why even $40 million can't make a good game.

Granted, nothing else much we can discuss now though.

It seems like every thread these days turns into a PS4 port discussion.

I love the detail on the ships, can't wait to see some of the bigger ones.

rashbeep

Banned
Wow.

Game audiences are always liek this. Watch last year's Dragon Age footage. People were cheering for very simple things.

Haha I think some people were actually crying from joy from the sounds of their voices.

Anyways the game looks amazing visually, too early to say if it's something I'd want to play though.

I don't get it, this looks like any run of the mill space dogfight demo setup you could imagine on today's hardware. There's not a lot to draw, PVS is super sipmle, and what is drawn is not particularly interesting. Is there some magical moment in this video I skipped over?

I say this as someone who loved WC, especially 1/2 and Privateer, back in the day.

I don't get it, this looks like any run of the mill space dogfight demo setup you could imagine on today's hardware. There's not a lot to draw, PVS is super sipmle, and what is drawn is not particularly interesting. Is there some magical moment in this video I skipped over?

I say this as someone who loved WC, especially 1/2 and Privateer, back in the day.

Each scene has about 10 million polygons. There is a lot to draw.

The models are pretty detailed.

soontroll

Banned

What exactly are you asking? This does not look like a 'run-of-the-mill space dogfight demo'.

RK9039

You can collect rare fishes like Magikarp.

Each scene has about 10 million polygons. There is a lot to draw.

Drawing 10mm polygons is easy. Making it look like 10mm polygons is not. I just don't see the detail here scrubbing through, watching him collide with poorly modelled and textured asteroids. There's nice specular response and bloom, but that's pretty standard stuff nowadays.

So it's like those concrete dividers in Crysis 2 then?

Crysis 2 tesselation myth

Drawing 10mm polygons is easy. Making it look like 10mm polygons is not. I just don't see the detail here scrubbing through, watching him collide with poorly modelled and textured asteroids. There's nice specular response and bloom, but that's pretty standard stuff nowadays.

Have you loaded up the hangar module? Those polygons are definitely going to use.

Looks visually impressive, but I'm not fond of the gameplay at all. In fact, I think it was a bad idea for them to show off the game in this state.

x-Lundz-x

Looks visually impressive, but I'm not fond of the gameplay at all. In fact, I think it was a bad idea for them to show off the game in this state.

I don't even think the game could be considered Alpha state. I think this is more of "Hey guys, we know you are desperate to see how it's coming along so here is what the game LOOKS like".

I bet only fraction of the game play elements are even implemented right now.

stryke

His demands for a possible port were pretty unreasonable though, he basically asked for the MMO aspect of the game to have zero cert which isn't even allowed for SOE products.

He also basically said if Sony want a port, they have to pay up.

Just want to post concerning the idea of a 10million polygon count in a scene. Star Citizen is realizing almost everything as geometry. That means stuff that was usually normal mapped in older games, has real geometry in Star Citizen.

Why?

1. Fidelity, it just looks better
2. Modern hardware handles geometry quite well
3. In VR, normal mapping looks like shit.

He's not the god of videogames

however, he is the god of this game in particular

So he isn't behaving out of character when he makes executive decisions

and this doesn't change no matter how big an increase in salt production those decisions engender

It's just that I've never heard something like this. Must be because he's not bound to something and already got loads of money, doesn't have to be a bad thing actually.

But isn't SE doing things like code change without stupid QC procedures with FF14? There might be still a technical barrier, but doesn't sound very informed about the current gen.

Top Bottom