• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen/Squadron 42 News Thread

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
They have over 700 developers right now with the majority working on Squadron 42 and they just announced a new studio which they will bolster up with around 100 devs to work solely on creating new Star Systems.

I think they will be fine.
Sounds killer. Whens it out?

Exede

I had more fun in this bugfest of an Alpha than i had in a lot of other games i bought for 70€s. It's simply not for everybody, but to read this doomsday stuff of RSIs progress in building the game is tiresome. You can spend 100s of hours in the Alpha having fun with friends and this for under 50€s with a ship included.

I also know that this 50€s are not payed for the current state of the games build, it's for the promise what it can be in the future.

People pointing fingers at the stupidity of backers isn't helping anybody.

Starfield

Smol update for people who like to look at "tl;dr's" instead of reading various news posts watching videos.

So far progress from August to November has been almost stagnant. This however doesn't mean that the game hasn't improved at all. On the contrary. Feature wise though next to nothing has happened. Let's hope for more progress next year and a hopeful 2021 SQ42 Beta release!

i recommend this site for news in general to get a good overview on how the current shape and form of this game looks like. Whats still missing and whats going on.

Last edited:

Starfield

This shit's a pyramid scheme.
you are right

End Goal
a3123a4f17197da0e21b088730926faf1f8769f4.svg

you are here ^

TVexperto

So far progress from August to November has been almost stagnant. This however doesn't mean that the game hasn't improved at all. On the contrary. Feature wise though next to nothing has happened. Let's hope for more progress next year and a hopeful 2021 SQ42 Beta release!

According to the old roadmap and news reports SQ42 beta is supposed to be in q4 2020 so now? but then the AI guys said in the last star citizen live that AI is still very much on concepting?!? how?! after 8 YEARS?!
what are they doing all day? sitting around?

Starfield

According to the old roadmap and news reports SQ42 beta is supposed to be in q4 2020 so now? but then the AI guys said in the last star citizen live that AI is still very much on concepting?!? how?! after 8 YEARS?!
what are they doing all day? sitting around?
Squadron 42 is in "close out" phase right now as per October, what that means noone knows.

The development was basically not a thing up until 2016-7 to be fair.

In 2012 when the kickstarter began they had like 4 people working on this game. They tried creating this game in CryEngine and by around 2014 they knew that this isnt gonna work so they had to began from 0 and create their own engine for this game. which took them a few years. Now they still have to work on fundamental parts of their game like server meshing, icache and stuff like that.

Their studios are growing and expanding. They also now opened a new studio which will work solely on star systems

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Squadron 42 is in "close out" phase right now as per October, what that means noone knows.

In 2012 when the kickstarter began they had like 4 people working on this game. They tried creating this game in CryEngine and by around 2014 they knew that this isnt gonna work so they had to began from 0 and create their own engine for this game. which took them a few years. Now they still have to work on fundamental parts of their game like server meshing, icache and stuff like that.

Their studios are growing and expanding. They also now opened a new studio which will work solely on star systems
It was supposed to have been completed in 2014 from the original Kickstarter goals. Then got pushed back to 2015. So saying they started in 2016 is just wrong. They are liars and thieves.

Starfield

It was supposed to have been completed in 2014 from the original Kickstarter goals. Then got pushed back to 2015. So saying they started in 2016 is just wrong. They are liars and thieves.
Cyberpunk was supposed to come out in April aswell but it didnt. Things happen and things change and I literally gave you a very rough explanation in the part you quoted me on why 2014 or 2016 wasnt gonna happen.

Last edited:

TVexperto

but they had a huge campaign that it will launch in 2016?
Cyberpunk was supposed to come out in April aswell but it didnt. Things happen and things change and I literally gave you a very rough explanation in the part you quoted me on why 2014 or 2016 wasnt gonna happen.
8hehGDR.jpg

half a decade later still nothing

TVexperto

and then it got delayed bc reasons. If you wanna look up those reasons go do it, if you don't care. Leave.
what reasons? why would they say its almost finished over and over again and in the monthly reports this year still saying that they are in concepting. obviously they lied over and over again.

Starfield

2020 was Star Citizen's biggest funding year of all time allocating over 70 Million USD in just one year!

ny2IZtl.png

...and we still have one month left to go!

Last edited:

Venom Snake

Gold Member
what reasons? why would they say its almost finished over and over again and in the monthly reports this year still saying that they are in concepting. obviously they lied over and over again.
Let's face it, this is no longer about completing the project, but continuing it as long as people humbly fill their bank accounts without realizing that stacking money on top of mismanagement and incompetence won't solve the problem.

It is a religious cult at this point. It is not even about the end, it is about the journey.

Last edited:

Starfield

NEW ROADMAP IS OUT

The cornerstone of this new Roadmap is our new Progress Tracker view. With the Progress Tracker, we set out to accomplish two goals: 1) pull back the curtains for all teams, and 2) show you what each team (including each Squadron 42 team) is working on for this quarter and what their priorities are after completing the immediate deliverable at hand. This view is solely meant to share what the teams are working on at any given time, and it should not be used to determine when a deliverable will hit the live servers.

Core Tech teams (server meshing, iCache, etc) and other missing teams will be added in Jan 2021

more info:

very very tl;dr: SQ42 probably not coming in 2021, more likely 2022 // Pyro System probably coming in Q4 2021/ or most likely 2022 (member Pyro 2020? Oh I member)

also letter from Chris Roberts:

As I said earlier this year, Squadron 42 will be done when it is done, and will not be released just to make a date, but instead only when all the technology and content is finished, the game is polished, and it plays great. I am not willing to compromise the development of a game I believe in with all my heart and soul, and I feel it would be a huge disservice to all the team members that have poured so much love and hard work into Squadron 42 if we rushed it out or cut corners to put it in the hands of everyone who is clamoring for it. I’ve seen more than a few eagerly awaited titles release before they were bug free and fully polished. This holiday season is no exception.

atleast they actually released a game Chris

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
All I want is SQ42. Thanks for the update. 2022 is kind of a depressing release date for the single player.

I’ve been backing this game and playing the Alpha since 2015. I’ve kinda given up on Star Citizen itself. I’ll be there for SQ42 for sure but I’ll probably be moving on to Elite Dangerous Odyssey next year and not looking back to Star Citizen. I’m starting to feel like it’s never gonna be done with all the feature creep that keeps going on with it. I can’t believe that since the time I started backing this game Elite Dangerous has gone from being a game where you can only fly in spaceships without landable planets to a full game with space legs and atmospheric worlds. I used to joke that Elite Dangerous would never get space legs and now it’s about to be a fully featured space sim with space legs, atmospheric worlds, and even ground combat while we are still waiting in the Star Citizen Alpha with SQ42 nowhere in sight 😬.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I’ve been backing this game and playing the Alpha since 2015. I’ve kinda given up on Star Citizen itself. I’ll be there for SQ42 for sure but I’ll probably be moving on to Elite Dangerous Horizons next year and not looking back to Star Citizen. I’m starting to feel like it’s never gonna be done with all the feature creep that keeps going on with it. I can’t believe that since the time I started backing this game Elite Dangerous has gone from being a game where you can only fly in space ships without landable planets to a full game with space legs and atmospheric worlds. I used to joke that Elite Dangerous would never get space legs and now it’s a full featured space sim with space legs, atmospheric worlds, and even ground combat while we are still waiting in the Star Citizen Alpha with SQ42 nowhere in sight 😬.
Also, Elite runs very well, unlike Star Citizen. Running around in Star Citizen is frustratingly choppy. As in, Cyberpunk 2077 is an optimization DREAM next to it.

Last edited:
Also, Elite runs very well, unlike Star Citizen. Running around in Star Citizen is frustratingly choppy. As in, Cyberpunk 2077 is an optimization DREAM next to it.
True, Star Citizen runs like absolute shit. It was running better last year when they were still doing optimizations but it seems in the last year especially after COVID hit they’ve completely abandoned optimization. Runs like shit even on the best of rigs. I installed the latest Alpha build yesterday and it somehow manages to run worse than the previous build which was already running like shit. By the time they get into the Beta phase we’ll probably be years into Elite Dangerous Odyssey or its sequel.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Elite Odyssey does look pretty good. It's getting a graphics refresh as well so idk. These two games were interesting studies in alternative game development philosophies. SC went with the highly ambitious, refactor refactor redesign approach, while Elite released a fairly barebones game and then released content addons to the live service. SC has fidelity on a very personal level, like being able to see the screws in your handgun; Elite has fidelity on a macro, galactic scale but not the same level of small detail that SC has. I guess right now the winning argument is, one game is released and stable and the other is still not even feature complete, with no projected date for even a beta in sight.

Patrick S.

Banned
True, Star Citizen runs like absolute shit. It was running better last year when they were still doing optimizations but it seems in the last year especially after COVID hit they’ve completely abandoned optimization. Runs like shit even on the best of rigs. I installed the latest Alpha build yesterday and it somehow manages to run worse than the previous build which was already running like shit. By the time they get into the Beta phase we’ll probably be years into Elite Dangerous Horizons or its sequel.

Yeah, it's frustrating. They are burning through so much money, yet the results are so poor after all this time. I really believe they aren't interested in releasing the game. They are pulling in million after million, and as long as they keep the whales buying virtual spaceships for the excuse of funding the game, they are making a much better business than when the time comes and they release to 67% Metacritic reviews, people make fun of them, draw comparisons to Duke Nukem Forever and move on to other things and stop pumping money into the game. I'd say that, probably, 90% of the people who have/had any interest in this game, have already bought it, so I don't expect this game to sell like... 1 million more copies after a 1.0 release. As long as whales are throwing their money at RSI, they won't finish the game.

Yeah, it's frustrating. They are burning through so much money, yet the results are so poor after all this time. I really believe they aren't interested in releasing the game. They are pulling in million after million, and as long as they keep the whales buying virtual spaceships for the excuse of funding the game, they are making a much better business than when the time comes and they release to 67% Metacritic reviews, people make fun of them, draw comparisons to Duke Nukem Forever and move on to other things and stop pumping money into the game. I'd say that, probably, 90% of the people who have/had any interest in this game, have already bought it, so I don't expect this game to sell like... 1 million more copies after a 1.0 release. As long as whales are throwing their money at RSI, they won't finish the game.
I totally agree. At this point they are probably making more money from whales than they would if they released the game to mediocre reviews. I’m starting to feel like it’s gonna be the next Duke Nukem Forever for sure.

Ah well, I stopped giving them money years ago and I’ve already had my fill of whatever fun can be had from the Alpha. I’ll just be there to pick up SQ42 if they ever release that. I’m expecting SC itself to be the biggest disappointment in gaming when they finally release it in the next 5-10 years. I’m hoping SQ42 itself delivers, to me that’s the only glimmer of hope left in the project.

harmny

Banned
after cyberpunk's launch no way chris roberts release this game anytime soon. imagine the level of scrutiny and criticism this game is going to get. release will be a bloodbath. no matter how good or bad it is.

Patrick S.

Banned
I totally agree. At this point they are probably making more money from whales than they would if they released the game to mediocre reviews. I’m starting to feel like it’s gonna be the next Duke Nukem Forever for sure.

Ah well, I stopped giving them money years ago and I’ve already had my fill of whatever fun can be had from the Alpha. I’ll just be there to pick up SQ42 if they ever release that. I’m expecting SC itself to be the biggest disappointment in gaming when they finally release it in the next 5-10 years. I’m hoping SQ42 itself delivers, to me that’s the only glimmer of hope left in the project.

Yeah, I bought the Star Citizen & Squadron 42 package for like €25 a few years ago, so I'm not super invested in this game. I wanted a fresh space combat and exploration game when I bought this, and don't really care about the MMO side of things. It'll be a griefer's paradise anyway. I'm just glad that I really like No Man's Sky and Elite. Heck, even stuff like Empyrion and Astroneer is really fun. Looking forward to Squadron 42 for the Wing Commander cinematic experience, though.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I’ve been backing this game and playing the Alpha since 2015. I’ve kinda given up on Star Citizen itself. I’ll be there for SQ42 for sure but I’ll probably be moving on to Elite Dangerous Odyssey next year and not looking back to Star Citizen. I’m starting to feel like it’s never gonna be done with all the feature creep that keeps going on with it. I can’t believe that since the time I started backing this game Elite Dangerous has gone from being a game where you can only fly in spaceships without landable planets to a full game with space legs and atmospheric worlds. I used to joke that Elite Dangerous would never get space legs and now it’s about to be a fully featured space sim with space legs, atmospheric worlds, and even ground combat while we are still waiting in the Star Citizen Alpha with SQ42 nowhere in sight 😬.
Just for clarity, Odyssey is allowing for landing on light-atmo worlds for now. They don’t have the tech to do earthlikes and so on just yet. Just want to keep expectations in check.

As an active Elite player (see: my avatar), all I can say is welcome to the fold. I’m one of the first to support Star Citizen back when it was on Kickstarter in September 2012 and I long gave up on Chris Roberts. Dude is obsessed with minutiae. I loved Wing Commander when I was growing up, but much like George Lucas with Star Wars, it’s clear what happens when there aren’t people around to tell them “no that’s a terrible idea” and dial things back.

The rest of the gaming industry is passing him by. Elite’s iterative approach has paid off.

Last edited:

Rikkori

It's funny to see people complain about feature-creep when in reality it's no such thing - they're working hard on the main bread & butter tech for the game, which just takes a long god damn time to make. While they work on getting server meshing working what do you expect them to do - twiddle their thumbs & wait? Of course they'll add stuff to the game and work on other systems in the meantime. People really don't understand the amount of work that goes into making video games, least of all when doing new things. How many years of intense crunch did a linear, fully scripted game like TLOU 2 take to make? What about CP 2077 which has seen a significant pairing back of any kind of emergent gameplay and took how many years of crunch? And yet people want a game on the scale of SC to come out in the same time (or less!), all while it started with only a handful of devs and little money.

Sigh.

Patrick S.

Banned
It's funny to see people complain about feature-creep when in reality it's no such thing - they're working hard on the main bread & butter tech for the game, which just takes a long god damn time to make. While they work on getting server meshing working what do you expect them to do - twiddle their thumbs & wait? Of course they'll add stuff to the game and work on other systems in the meantime. People really don't understand the amount of work that goes into making video games, least of all when doing new things. How many years of intense crunch did a linear, fully scripted game like TLOU 2 take to make? What about CP 2077 which has seen a significant pairing back of any kind of emergent gameplay and took how many years of crunch? And yet people want a game on the scale of SC to come out in the same time (or less!), all while it started with only a handful of devs and little money.

Sigh.

Naah man. Don't defend them with the "making a game takes time" argument. They are stretching out the development time because every day this game is in "development" they pull in seven hundred thousand Dollars.

ShadowNate

I'd expect them to stop selling concept ships, stop selling all the rest of the complementary crap, stop spending money on promotional videos of ships or conventions or demos specific for conventions, show a viable release plan with an actual release mark, lower the price of the game to something reasonable, show significant progress on the game they've been promising to release for years, and for which they again missed their beta release goal by a mile.

For a start.

Rikkori

Naah man. Don't defend them with the "making a game takes time" argument. They are stretching out the development time because every day this game is in "development" they pull in seven hundred thousand Dollars.
That logic falls apart quickly because even if it were "finished" they would still work on it & put in more content, just like every MMO that has ever existed. So they'd be getting money either way (subs, dlc, shop etc). In fact, it would be even better for making money when "finished" because then they could ramp up marketing efforts and bring in even more paying users.

Meicyn

Gold Member

Sigh.
You know, you say all that, and all I can do is hit Kickstarter and look back at my pledge that says estimated delivery date, November 2014.

The people who pledge for their spaceships will get to test-fly them long before the general public. 12 months in, we will allow the early backers to play the multiplayer space combat Alpha, and then 20-22 months in they will get to play the Star Citizen Beta, adventuring around the huge open galaxy, well before the general public. We are going to limit our alpha slots to 200,000 as we want to stress test the game with real users, but will not be ready for the full load until we have finished Beta.

This game was announced at the end of the Xbox 360 and PS3 era. An entire console generation has come and gone. Numerous iterations of GPUs from Nvidia and AMD have released since 2012. I expect I will be playing on a PS6 before I am playing the release version of Star Citizen.

Rikkori

You know, you say all that, and all I can do is hit Kickstarter and look back at my pledge that says estimated delivery date, November 2014.

This game was announced at the end of the Xbox 360 and PS3 era. An entire console generation has come and gone. Numerous iterations of GPUs from Nvidia and AMD have released since 2012. I expect I will be playing on a PS6 before I am playing the release version of Star Citizen.
Right, and then they expanded scope & let people know, and if you wanted to you could get a refund. Kickstarter is not a pre-order service, it's a funding service, something that was very clear at that point in time to anyone that cared to look into the platform. People who put money in & wanted to take it out could do so, and those who wanted to fund the biggest and most ambitious game in history could let it work.
As you all know we are shy of announcing firm dates for module releases until they are in the Public Test Universe (PTU) as it’s hard to predict exact dates in open development, especially in the stages that still involve R&D, unless you build in large time buffers. We have been burned by this multiple times before so I have heeded all your wishes to not give out dates until we are sure.
If you have followed Star Citizen from our kickoff in October, 2012, you know that the game we’re building today is a bigger and more technically accomplished project than I thought was possible back then. The original crowd funding goal was to raise enough money to deliver regular community updates, access to the multiplayer dogfighting alpha and a single player campaign called Squadron 42. You can see the first goal, which was achieved on 25th of October 2012 here. It’s no secret that I originally thought I would have to build a smaller game first and then over time add features and content to get close to the full living universe that I have always wanted to realize. [..]
There are people out there who are going to tell you that this is all a BAD THING. That it’s ‘feature creep’ and we should make a smaller, less impressive game for the sake of having it out more quickly or in order to meet artificial deadlines. Now I’ll answer those claims in one word: Bullshit!

Star Citizen matters BECAUSE it is big, because it is a bold dream. It is something everyone else is scared to try. You didn’t back Star Citizen because you want what you’ve seen before. You’re here and reading this because we are willing to go big, to do the things that terrify publishers. You’ve trusted us with your money so we can build a game, not line our pockets. And we sure as hell didn’t run this campaign so we could put that money in the bank, guarantee ourselves a profit and turn out some flimsy replica of a game I’ve made before. You went all in supporting us and we’ve gone all in making the game. Is Star Citizen today a bigger goal than I imagined in 2012? Absolutely. Is that a bad thing? Absolutey not: it’s the whole damn point.

I'm not talking about you now but I have no sympathy for anyone who put their $30 (or $3000 for that matter) in and now expects that they should dictate exactly how & when RSI should develop the game. It doesn't work that way. You buy into a vision, fund it, and hope for the best. That's all kickstarter is. And for people to pretend like they've got nothing out of it when there's a good slice of the game playable at any one time, is also just baffling. Is it finished? No, because things take time to make. But you can jump in & see the progress (hell, even if you don't put any money in) and it's very clear they're making it. Don't we all wish it would go faster? Sure. But point me to which studio is making a game of similar scope and doing it better & faster, and I'll eat my hat. It doesn't exist.

Starfield

I'd expect them to stop selling concept ships, stop selling all the rest of the complementary crap, stop spending money on promotional videos of ships or conventions or demos specific for conventions, show a viable release plan with an actual release mark, lower the price of the game to something reasonable, show significant progress on the game they've been promising to release for years, and for which they again missed their beta release goal by a mile.

For a start.
the game costs 50$ wdym

Patrick S.

Banned
That logic falls apart quickly because even if it were "finished" they would still work on it & put in more content, just like every MMO that has ever existed. So they'd be getting money either way (subs, dlc, shop etc). In fact, it would be even better for making money when "finished" because then they could ramp up marketing efforts and bring in even more paying users.
Not comparable. A "proper" MMO comes out feature complete or mostly feature complete, then receives some gameplay tuning, buffing and debuffing and fixes, and then a DLC every year or two. Star Citizen is nowhere NEAR feature complete, and won't be in the next five years. Don't lie to yourself.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Let's face it, this is no longer about completing the project, but continuing it as long as people humbly fill their bank accounts without realizing that stacking money on top of mismanagement and incompetence won't solve the problem.
They monetised development. Watch out for a big funding drive for a console version they are bound to unveil as soon as they think people almost had enough with all the waiting.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

the game costs 50$ wdym
oh come on, you know what I mean.
Take a look here:

Lower price is $55 (discounted to $50) with the really shitty starter ship (to the point that no sane person would choose it today or even since a couple of years ago, and they'd be laughed by the community if they did) and it does not include the SQ42 game, as it used to.

Now take a look at the combos which include SQ42, and also the other SC only packages and their insane pricing.

There ought to be one package or three (SC, SQ42, SC+SQ42 combo) and they should all be reasonably priced.

Not what they've got today.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
“Because of this I have decided that it is best to not show Squadron 42 gameplay publicly, nor discuss any release date until we are closer to the home stretch and have high confidence in the remaining time needed to finish the game to the quality we want.”
Chris Roberts

Fuck this "game", I am so done with this.

Top Bottom