• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen vs Cyberpunk 2077... What's going on?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Star citizen started life around 2010 with production properly kicking in in 2011 with the company growing to around 470 odd staff in 2017. It's now 2020 and pretty much all we've got is a really nice tech demo with a feature list bigger than Caitlin Jenner's balls and still no sign of an actual proper release...

Cyberpunk an equally massive and ambitious game that came to life around 2013 and supposedly numbers around 500 developers is about to land in a couple of weeks...

What the fuck is going on over at Cloud Emporium Games??? I don't buy the whole it's a scam thing, it's not like the cunt is sitting directing the whole thing from a yacht in the med, no he's balls deep into the development but seriously, how can a company like CDPR drop 2 massive games with similar scope in the same time it takes Cloud Emporium to barely leave Alpha with just one... What are them guys doing over there apart from creating an endless supply of seriously cool looking ships for cunts to buy.

It has to be something else, both companies are no doubt filled with incredibly talented and passionate individuals and yeah I know CDPR is the bigger company but still CIG should be a lot further on than it currently is.

Personally I'm gonna be holding off for the proper next gen release of Cyberpunk, I've waited this long I can hack another load of months to play it properly with most of bugs and kinks patched out, but Star Citizen.. that's still a fucking pipe dream away

Trunim

Star Citizen might very well be more "ambitious" in some people's eyes but it won't deliver on that front, not even to a satisfying fraction. Maybe for those still in full denial.

Cyberpunk has its ambition and actual delivery all balanced out.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Easy: Star Citizen is a scam
I actually don’t really care about Star Citizen other than I really like the space flight/combat genre but I don’t think this is a scam. As an outsider looking in it looks like a victim of lack control on the directors side in setting end goals. It looks more like feature creep and nebulous ideas about what the end game will be. While corporate oversight, defined launch dates, and crunch can be bad they also deliver games in a time effective manner. This is what happens when you remove those guardrails combined with essentially unlimited funds.

Last edited:

Senua

Easy: Star Citizen is a scam
baby-whatever-gif-source.gif

Starfield

Star Citizen has like 100 times the scope of Cyberpunk2077 (thats probably also the reason why one game is releasing Nov. 19 and another is still in early Alpha)

also CDPR is a studio that has already shipped multiple games and a big studio whereas CIG had to basically form and create a completely new gaming studio from scratch along with the game itself,

nemiroff

Gold Member
People are having fun playing SC, and people are having fun hating on it. I for one take great pleasure ignore-listing people calling it a scam. So it's a one of a kind project where everybody wins!

Last edited:
I actually don’t really care about Star Citizen other than I really like the space flight/combat genre but I don’t think this is a scam. As an outsider looking in it looks like a victim of lack control on the directors side in setting end goals. It looks more like feature creep and nebulous ideas about what the end game will be. While corporate oversight, defined launch dates, and crunch can be bad they also deliver games in a time effective manner. This is what happens when you remove those guardrails combined with essentially unlimited funds.
I'm sorry what do you call paying money for a game to be released in 2014?

Woops, I mean to be released in 2015, we promise. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q3 2016, we pinky promise, we have a google doc roadmap lite thingy. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q1 2017, we very much promise. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q4 2017, we promise with a cherry on top, we have a roadmap now. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q2 2018, we promise a lot. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q1 2019, we pinky pinky promise. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q4 2019, no lie why would we lie, we promise. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q2 2020, look at my flashy roadmap, we promise, why would we lie. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q4 2020, roadmap goes brrrr, we promise. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q2 2021, trust me bro, roadmap is looking fine. Send us more money.

Yeah, totally not a scam.

Kssio_Aug

At this point I don't even know if that's in fact not a scam. I hope it isn't, but it definitely is taking way too long.
But I will assume it's not... in that case, I think the game might be too ambitious for it's own good.

Last edited:

PooBone

Star Citizen is a new and very inexperienced team making one of the most ambitious projects ever. CDPR are literally one of, if the THE best team in the world at this and arguably the best-equipped to get it done from a starting point.

N30RYU

I will judge Cyberpunk once it's out and I see what they have done on current and next-gen consoles, 'cause all we have right now is footage from nasa computers.

Last edited:

PooBone

The people upset about "crunch" enough to complain about it in unrelated threads don't remember what the fight against Crunch was actually about. It wasn't certainly wasn't about 6 extra paid work-from-home days over the final 6 weeks of a game's development.

MadAnon

Not sure what is this x100 scope in Squadron 42 over Cyberpunk? You think making big empty planets is hard and equals massive scope as opposed to smaller, purely hand crafted and packed with content areas? I have yet to see a working build of S42 which proves this massive scope compared to a game like Cyberpunk.

Does S42 have some super advanced AI? Nope, and it seems to be light years away from complete.

Does it have deep customizations? Nope. Just some spaceship modules and weapons? Some weapon attachments. Cyberpunk has all that (cars instead of spaceships) and more. S42 won't have skill trees, agumentations etc.

What's so special about their SP game? Nothing, but they are still developing basic shit like inventory system. Their refusal to communicate the state of S42 is very telling - the progress most likely is shockingly, embarrassingly lacking.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Think SC is like No Mans Sky but worse since has not be released and it seems the developer do not has idea when this will happen.

wipeout364

Woops, I mean to be released Q3 2016, we pinky promise, we have a google doc roadmap lite thingy. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q4 2017, we promise with a cherry on top, we have a roadmap now. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q1 2019, we pinky pinky promise. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q4 2019, no lie why would we lie, we promise. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q2 2020, look at my flashy roadmap, we promise, why would we lie. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q4 2020, roadmap goes brrrr, we promise. Send us more money.

Woops, I mean to be released Q2 2021, trust me bro, roadmap is looking fine. Send us more money.

I think it’s a poorly run development studio, I consider a scam something where the owners are actually trying to get money out of people but the end goal is to deliver nothing. From what I can see the developers of star citizen actually believe in what they are doing but have let things get out of control. Again I have only basically been following through things posted on Neogaf so I am totally willing to be convinced otherwise. If Chris Roberts is only interested in getting rich off this scheme he seems to have a strange way of doing it by employing an awful lot of people( 500 last time I looked).

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Not sure what is this x100 scope in Squadron 42 over Cyberpunk? You think making big empty planets is hard and equals massive scope as opposed to smaller, purely hand crafted and packed with content areas? I have yet to see a working build of S42 which proves this massive scope compared to a game like Cyberpunk.

At this point my headcanon is that they spent all the money on rebuilding their procedural generation tech 5234979 times and cocaine.

People are having fun playing SC, and people are having fun hating on it. I for one take great pleasure ignore-listing people calling it a scam. So it's a one of a kind project where everybody wins!
It's a scam.

10 years in development with ballooning development costs and still there is no release date nor will the developer even hint at a possible launch window.

Be a Star Citizen sheep or cry a river if you want or add more people to your ignore list lol. Take your pick.

Lol yeah pretty much.

You'd be a damn fool to keep funding this ongoing decade old project. The cherry on top will be when this game bombs on launch.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Cyberpunk an equally massive and ambitious game

I disagree with that. The scope and ambition is a universe apart, literally. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all about shitting on that scam as it has become. But it's hard to argue about the initial ambition.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Star citizen started life around 2010 with production properly kicking in in 2011 with the company growing to around 470 odd staff in 2017. It's now 2020 and pretty much all we've got is a really nice tech demo with a feature list bigger than Caitlin Jenner's balls and still no sign of an actual proper release...

-Cyberpunk an equally massive and ambitious game that came to life around 2013 and supposedly numbers around 500 developers is about to land in a couple of weeks...

What the fuck is going on over at Cloud Emporium Games??? I don't buy the whole it's a scam thing, it's not like the cunt is sitting directing the whole thing from a yacht in the med, no he's balls deep into the development but seriously, how can a company like CDPR drop 2 massive games with similar scope in the same time it takes Cloud Emporium to barely leave Alpha with just one... What are them guys doing over there apart from creating an endless supply of seriously cool looking ships for cunts to buy.

It has to be something else, both companies are no doubt filled with incredibly talented and passionate individuals and yeah I know CDPR is the bigger company but still CIG should be a lot further on than it currently is.

Personally I'm gonna be holding off for the proper next gen release of Cyberpunk, I've waited this long I can hack another load of months to play it properly with most of bugs and kinks patched out, but Star Citizen.. that's still a fucking pipe dream away

You noticed too huh? lol

Equally massive and ambitious? God no, I massively disagree sir. What they are talking about with Star Citizen is like no game. No Man Sky if anything I'd argue matches up a bit better. To say equally massive, ambitious etc is to say every fucking home can be entered in Cyberpunk, you see it, you can go in etc.

I agree in questioning wtf is going on with Star Citizen, I disagree that Cyberpunk 2077 is equally "massive and ambitious" , it is neither... factually its actually smaller then their last game and as amazing as the game looks, the fact that people even have a hard time telling others what the game is actually doing that is "new", very much confirms is a great looking game that gots lots of people hype, myself included, but isn't doing much brand new.

Ask about Star Citizen? You getting a laundry list of first.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I agree in questioning wtf is going on with Star Citizen, I disagree that Cyberpunk 2077 is equally "massive and ambitious" , it is neither... factually its actually smaller then their last game
Comparing virtual sizes is just dumb, sorry. Especially when one relies heavily on procedural generation and the other is mostly handcrafted.

EDMIX

Comparing virtual sizes is just dumb, sorry. Especially when one relies heavily on procedural generation and the other is mostly handcrafted.

Doesn't matter. The scope we are talking about, regardless of your feelings of each title are just too greatly different to really be suggesting one has a greater scope.

Factually, that is just incorrect. 1 is about 1 fucking city, one is about going to many, many, many planets, indoors, in ships, flying around space etc. How anyone is really trying to argue the game about 1 city has a greater scope then the one about a galaxy is beyond me. This has nothing to do with your feelings regarding that content, one clearly is factually of a massively greater scope then the other.

I'm not debating what is handcrafted or not, or what you like or not etc. Irrelevant.

HOW they got there is irrelevant to the point being made. I don't even know if its even feasible to even create what Star Citizen is even doing without procedural generation.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Factually, that is just incorrect. 1 is about 1 fucking city, one is about going to many, many, many planets, indoors, in ships, flying around space etc. How anyone is really trying to argue the game about 1 city has a greater scope then the one about a galaxy is beyond me. This has nothing to do with your feelings regarding that content, one clearly is factually of a massively greater scope then the other.

Nobody is talking about feelings and the only thing that's factually incorrect, is how disingenuous this comparison is.
A bunch of planets generated by code, that are populated by prefabs isn't, by default, more "massive or ambitious" than something carefully crafted by hand.
You know how long it took to build the Notre Dame in AC: Unity?
Two years, it took the artist more than two years to build this single building, and they did this because they wanted it to be a grand and beautiful, but mostly accurate, center piece; that's ambitious, in fact it was so ambitious that it became the most accurate 3d mapped version of the building, in so much that it could help in the real life restoration.

Ambitious can relate to your project's virtual size, but it really doesn't have to, especially when a lot of it is taken care of by automated systems to populate it for you. The problem with sc isn't whether or not it's "ambitious", but that it has been feature crept to death where it's become clear they don't even know what they want the "game" to be any more; the original funders were promised a neat little spacesim, but then new shit nobody's asked for keeps getting added every year and instead of calling them out on this trash, people say they are "ambitious", instead of straight up deceitful.

The notre dame was delivered, cyberpunk 2077 is about to be delivered; after all these years, sc is somehow still a glorified techdemo with some of the jankiest player animations since oblivion.

ReBurn

Gold Member
As long as people continue to throw money at Star Citizen knowing that it's unfinished what is their incentive to finish it? People have paid this group of folks hundreds of millions of dollars for an unfinished game and when it's complete there's probably not much in the way of a future sales pipeline. So why not milk it if morons continue to pay for it?

Buki1

Equally massive and ambitious? God no, I massively disagree sir. What they are talking about with Star Citizen is like no game. No Man Sky if anything I'd argue matches up a bit better.

Ok, now I get it. You guys just think "ambitious" means "bigger map". I would rather equal quality with content on the map, not the size of it. Milions of randomly generated planets mean nothing if you will get bored after visiting 5 of them, because everything looks the same - which was exactly my experience with NMS. Quality over quantity, thats what make the game ambitious in my book.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The systems underpinning Cyberpunks properly fleshed out open world are as ambitious as the procedurally generated world's/cities in Star Citizen, hell any videos of actual walkable stations etc look woefully embarrassing in comparison with their static and sparsely populated NPC's, yeah don't get me wrong it looks incredible and peering out a window of a moving lift and seeing your mate in a spaceship staring back at you is just insanely cool but that's all it is, a collection of insanely cool ideas wrapped around what exactly?? Where's the game? Where's the systems in place to actually you know play and do stuff other than what's been shown which is great for a week or two at best.

My point of the post is what the fuck have they been doing all this time and with so many people and we're still no closer to an actual game, a living breathing world with actual things to do that have an impact whereas CDPR have spat out 2 huge games as complex and as graphically dense as anything I've seen coming from CIG, yes they are an established AAA dev but some could argue CIG has had plenty of time to establish its core business, it's not like their hiring Muppet's

anothertech

You forgot, it was to be released in 2012...

Also, cyberpunk will be greater in scope, story, polish and delivery in a fraction of the development time.

The difference? CDPR vs shitshow dev team. There's not many that could pull off what is coming in cp2077 tbh.

nowhat

Seems like cocaine parties would be the ideal time to finish the game though
Hard to finish a game when you're busy working on that screenplay of yours that's going to be the best thing ever, and you know why don't we see who can run around the house fastest, I got a head start already, see you at the finish line suckers!

wipeout364

Cyberpunk kept dissappointing from that first teaser trailer way back. CDPR as we know it is gone.
If you said less impressive each showing I may have bought that but disagreed with you, I think that first trailer was absolutely amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom