• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's crowdfunding passes $250,000,000 milestone

Helios

ilGNKaK.png

Yoda

I originally read this as $250,000 and thought it was an old as hell thread... People are free to spend their money however they want, but there's little incentive for RSI to release if people keep paying for a product bordering the line between vaporware and SasS.

waylo

Banned
And it somehow still won't be enough. They'll have to do another fucking round of investments so they can siphon more money from the sheep.

This game is the classic case of do a billion things in a mediocre fashion rather than do a few things really well.

Hey look, today it's an FPS, tomorrow it's an MMO, Tuesday it's an RTS, Wednesday it's a puzzle game, etc... We're cramming so much into this game guys! It's going to be everything everyone wants!

And in the end, assuming it ever even comes out, it's just going to wind up being an over-hyped mess.

Reactions: cjw

Solarstrike

Anyone think if mod tools were released to RSI members that it would expedite the game development? Sort of like what Ubisoft is doing for Beyond Good an Evil II (but without mod tools). To do this, i think each planet would have to have a set number of allowable assets (structures, quests, fauna, resources, citizens). Planet(s) would be assigned to Clans or players whom are interested. Collaborating and voting on things like design; audio, atmospherics, texturing/environmental design. It may seem complex but i think the basics are already in place and there's obviously an extremely dedicated Community, which is a good thing regardless. They should be allowed to contribute more than just giving away their money.

Ovek

7Member7
Not surprised when they host private dinners that cost $275 per ticket to people that have already spent over $1000 just so you can buy a exclusive reskinned ship for another $675.

They might as well start selling thetan e-meters because it’s reached cult like lunacy.

I always laugh when I got branded “toxic” on this very forum for calling out this shitty scam ages ago. Haha...

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Look at all the salty dogs outraged at the idea of perfectly sane adults freely pledging their money (a crowdfunding pledge is not a "donation") to support a developer making the game they want to be made.

Stay hilarious.

PS: for those actually interested in a good listen about those who back this game, instead of irrational hating something they obviously know very little about, here's a good one:

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Look at all the salty dogs outraged at the idea of perfectly sane adults freely pledging their money (a crowdfunding pledge is not a "donation") to support a developer making the game they want to be made.

Stay hilarious.

PS: for those actually interested in a good listen about those who back this game, instead of irrational hating something they obviously know very little about, here's a good one:

Yeah, I'm so upset I'm not some retard spending thousands of bucks on some virtual spaceships. BTW how much did you spend?

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yeah, I'm so upset I'm not some retard spending thousands of bucks on some virtual spaceships. BTW how much did you spend?

Considering that you feel the need to blanket insult people for spending money on a game they care about, yes, you certainly seem upset.

As for your question, less than an average collector's edition of an AAA game, and already got my purchase's worth many times over entertainment-wise.

brap

Banned
Considering that you feel the need to blanket insult people for spending money on a game they care about, yes, you certainly seem upset.

As for your question, less than an average collector's edition of an AAA game, and already got my purchase's worth many times over entertainment-wise.
Thanks. Just as I thought. And if you wanna play then fine. It's more about the nerds spending hundreds/thousands on little virtual spaceships for some game that probably won't ever come out.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Thanks. Just as I thought. And if you wanna play then fine. It's more about the nerds spending hundreds/thousands on little virtual spaceships for some game that probably won't ever come out.

Money has different value for different people. There are many bad ways to spend it, and investing in the game one is passionate about isn't one of those.

The game is already playable. While not finished, it can be a whole lot of fun for those who enjoy sandbox experiences, and even a single high-end starship is a really fun toy to play with, for something digital.

They burn about 5 mln per month now.
I think they already don't have any cash. Or won't pretty soon.

That's a silly estimate, as it's based on a period in which they were establishing studios and expenses were obviously higher. Incidentally, there is no indication that they'll run out of money any time soon, even more so since backers have pledged around 10 million in the past week.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
That's a silly estimate, as it's based on a period in which they were establishing studios and expenses were obviously higher. Incidentally, there is no indication that they'll run out of money any time soon, even more so since backers have pledged around 10 million in the past week.

They have over 500 employees each costs 200k/year on average. That's 100 mln per year.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
They have over 500 employees each costs 200k/year on average. That's 100 mln per year.

That's a gross oversimplification and a laughable estimate. If you were even in the same galaxy as the mark, they'd have run out of money years ago. I have a feeling that you're typing wishful thinking right now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In 2017 they had 464 employees and spent 30 million in salaries. I wonder how you managed to multiply that by 3.3.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I wonder how long they can prolong this scheme. Anyone wanna take bets on when it finally folds and they're forced to release a shitty "product" for proper sale?

I'd guess late 2021.

That's a gross oversimplification and a laughable estimate. If you were even in the same galaxy as the mark, they'd have run out of money years ago. I have a feeling that you're typing wishful thinking right now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yea I work pretty high level IT, alongside experienced and in many cases specialized programmers, and I am pretty sure none of us make close to $200k. Most around $110k, the seniors and leads around $150k. $200k for developer positions in the notoriously underpaying industry of video games would be nuts. Maybe after bonuses one year when they manage to ship a product that moves like 1 million or more units.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Money has different value for different people. There are many bad ways to spend it, and investing in the game one is passionate about isn't one of those.

The game is already playable. While not finished, it can be a whole lot of fun for those who enjoy sandbox experiences, and even a single high-end starship is a really fun toy to play with, for something digital.

Well considering this thread will be up again at like “275 or 250 million”. I wouldn’t bother much with people concern trolling over and over.

They will say the same shit again, what we’ve heard years ago....nothing new. They just repeating themselves.

Dropping videos or real info about the game won’t help because the source can’t be trust and it’s a scam, vaporware, a cult etc etc. Then they drop yt videos from other concern trollers because that’s the whole fact.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
I wonder how long they can prolong this scheme. Anyone wanna take bets on when it finally folds and they're forced to release a shitty "product" for proper sale?

I'd guess late 2021.

Yea I work pretty high level IT, alongside experienced and in many cases specialized programmers, and I am pretty sure none of us make close to $200k. Most around $110k, the seniors and leads around $150k. $200k for developer positions in the notoriously underpaying industry of video games would be nuts. Maybe after bonuses one year when they manage to ship a product that moves like 1 million or more units.

I'm talking about average cost for employer. Which is usually much higher than what employee sees in the paycheck. Office rental, hardware, software, services, catering, etc. But even if it's 100k it's still over 50 mln AFAIR Forbes reported 537 employees in 2019.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm talking about average cost for employer. Which is usually much higher than what employee sees in the paycheck. Office rental, hardware, software, services, catering, etc. But even if it's 100k it's still over 50 mln AFAIR Forbes reported 537 employees in 2019.

Oh OK, total compensation and overhead - sure, that will drive the cost of each asset up but not by extreme amounts, especially since things like healthcare (in the US) and other stuff are heavily subsidized by tax breaks for the company. I'm no expert on the finances of such endeavors, I freely admit, but I've been privy to figures and the banter of the finance department at my current employer and old job and I would say it's not a whole lot per individual, and is usually inflated in those total compensation reports they issue to each employee annually.

Still, I guess you're right though - it's still costing them a ton of money to develop this seemingly never going to be finished game.

Kenpachii

People can laugh at them all they want. But they are pushing stuff forwards and lots of PC gamers appreciate it.

They also are extremely open about there game development and push PC hardware to its limits with new tech etc, have meetups and u can talk to them directly through it. They are more like 90's PC gaming or even the last one.

That the game is never finished isn't a issue and never was with PC gaming as every game was just a open book to start with.

Something most games these days don't realize anymore.

Even while this space game isn't for me personally as i find the buy into it to difficult to the point i don't care. And its out of my budget. I highly appreciate them doing what they are doing.

Last edited:

nowhat

They are more like 90's PC gaming
Granted, I've been out of the PCMR scene for quite some time (the last dedicated GPU I've owned was a 6600 GT, I think - it was AGP anyway), but I do remember 90's PC gaming.

I remember paying full price for Wing Commander 2 (see what I did there?) on a disc, it was perfectly playable and I enjoyed it a ton. I didn't have to wait for years for the game to be completed and fund it all the way.

Top Bottom