• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's crowdfunding passes $250,000,000 milestone

Von Hugh

250 million dollar funding that turns into a 50 million dollar game. Gamers are upset but the developers rejoice.

Fuz

Banned
I honestly hope this is not a scam (or a failure in good faith). The ideas behind it are great and I hope to play it someday.

Said so, I'm not giving them a cent until it's finished.

Mato

I don't understand where all the excitement stems from and people keep throwing money at this. It's just a generic looking sci fi game.

imsosleepy

they are cashing in really nice salaries and continue to get funding with little releases. they dont need to ever release a full game this way

Tesseract

Banned
giphy.gif

Miles708

Everyone has the right to spend their money however they want.

That said, we're at 250 million. You can have opinions, but objectively: it's enough.
They have enough. They can make it.
Not being negative, the game is objectively interesting and clearly ambitious, so I say this with all the good faith in the world: that money is enough to make it. Let's finally stop giving and just wait.

Last edited:

Starfield

Then why not release it? You have to admit that at this point it’s beyond a joke.
It is called an alpha. Why should they release an unfinished product and call it version 1.0 ??? Many of the core features are missing and have yet to be introduced in beta state.

Or do you want this game to be a DayZ where highly anticipated core features were just scrapped and an alpha version (0.63) got renamed to "1.0"

Yes the game isn't close to being ready as a full release yet, yes the game is in development since 2012 but you know what? They didn't have over 500 employees at the start of 2013 or even in 2015! And by that time they just only started to develop their own engine (kinda their own cry engine version) for this game. They are building new tech from the ground up which has never been used in ANY other game as of yet.

I recommend watching this video by Digital Foundry:

Yes, there is alot to critizise about the way that CIG is getting their money for funding the game and yes it is absurd to pay 1000$ for a ship that may not be a real thign yet...but people tend to buy all sorts of absurd things and there are ALOT of people around the world who want their "dream game" to be made and so far Chris Roberts hasn't dissapointed as of yet. It's getting closer and closer each day we count. Just watch all the tech that has or will be introduced in this month's patch. Just google "Star Citizen Planet Tech v4" and you will know what I mean.

I gave them like $50 years and years ago.. I was on the forums for a bit, joined a guild or whatever.. but have ignored it for years now. Not sure I even have a PC that can run the alphas or whatever.

Whenever it's actually done and released I might take a dive back in, but hell, I have way less time to game now than I did when this was announced.

Mass Shift

It is not a pyramid scheme, it's multi level marketing.... Nowadays they call it Multi-Level Marketing haha. It's the same shit, and there are people who defend it (I'm not kidding, that thing suck balls)

Drawing a little bit on my modest financial knowledge.

If Star Citizen was a financial product, shareholders would have at the very least demanded more transparency and accountability from Chris Roberts. But I've said this before, average investors are NOT very informed. You have a lot of people pretending to be savvy and smart about the ins and outs of investment.

In many ways, gamers are the perfect kind of gullible investors. Star Citizen's slick marketing of personal ships, high end graphic presentations, and promises of a deep playable universe dangles in front of gamers like a golden carrot stick that they can't help themselves from following.

It's a type of seduction because it checks off all the boxes without ever actually delivering on anything. The investor can purchase his/her ship, walk in and around it and fly from a few limited A to B points.

I remember last decade you had a guy offering investors millions of credits to purchase anything in his store, but his store wasn't built and you would have to give him money so he could finish building it first. Back then it was the earliest of the cryptocurrency scams and wasn't hard to spot. Today we would call it an "Initial Coin Offering"

Star Citizen falls in this example very easily because it spread quickly by gaming forums, social communities, word of mouth etc. And 7 years later, it's investors still demand nothing.

PS: for those actually interested in a good listen about those who back this game, instead of irrational hating something they obviously know very little about, here's a good one:

So much pathos... sounds exactly how I imagine the apostles of Star Citizen who throw hundreds and thousands of dollars at it.

Look, I backed their kickstarter almost a decade ago and threw 30 bucks their way because I loved Freelancer and it included a full version of the game. So many years later, I've completely lost my interest in this game. If it finally releases and turns out good, I'll have a go at it, but until then I'm not gonna waste any more thoughts on this chimera of a game.

All I wanted was a modernized take on Freelancer with some added bells and whistles, but apparently that just wasn't good enough for Chris Roberts. I can appreciate a man for dreaming big, but what Star Citizen is doing borders more on the fanatical than the reasonable, preying on the hopes of its backers. It's gotten to the point where no matter how this game will release, it will lead to a lot of broken expectations.

Even if it turns out to be the second coming of video game Jesus, people are just plain silly for throwing so much money at it before it even materializes. There's no denying that Star Citizen has created this unhealthy dogmatic followership around it while it is only reasonable to remain cautious until the game finally ships.

Last edited:
So much pathos... sounds exactly how I imagine the apostles of Star Citizen who throw hundreds and thousands of dollars at it.

Look, I backed their kickstarter almost a decade ago and threw 30 bucks their way because I loved Freelancer and it included a full version of the game. So many years later, I've completely lost my interest in this game. If it finally releases and turns out good, I'll have a go at it, but until then I'm not gonna waste any more thoughts on this chimera of a game.

All I wanted was a modernized take on Freelancer with some added bells and whistles, but apparently that just wasn't good enough for Chris Roberts. I can appreciate a man for dreaming big, but what Star Citizen is doing borders more on the fanatical than the reasonable, preying on the hopes of its backers. It's gotten to the point where no matter how this game will release, it will lead to a lot of broken expectations.

Even if it turns out to be the second coming of video game Jesus, people are just plain silly for throwing so much money at it before it even materializes. There's no denying that Star Citizen has created this unhealthy dogmatic followership around it while it is only reasonable to remain cautious until the game finally ships.
giphy.gif

I may buy when I get home

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

The only unhealthy thing I see is people who have no idea of the current state of the game (which is very enjoyable) blabbering endlessly about it pretending to know what they're talking about. 😂

Kadayi

Banned
That's some crazy money, but if people are into it, so be it. Interested to see the end result, though not really my bag.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Hey, I had a good time back in my N4G days! But you are not totally wrong.

That site died when they closed down the open zone. Also most of the users are busy relaxing on Sony's giant nutsack sofa. I very much prefer the "fuck your console warrior bullshit" vibe of this site as well as an anti-astroturfing stance.

RealGassy

Banned
So just for the record, that's like in the same ballpark area as development (and marketing) budget of GTA V. (most expensive video game at the time)
Excluding marketing, it's probably more than dev costs of GTA V.

Ayy, lmao.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
When you have a dev cycle that is this long you can start with the latest tech and then have to redo it multiple times because it stops being the latest tech. Effectively perpetual churn---which is fine as long as people keep giving you money to keep that hamster wheel spinning.
But that game is still way beyond any current game in scope and technology.
You are deluded and so are a few other posters here....Also how much is Halo Infinite costing to make?

Ixiah

Banned
Holy Hell, if this Game bombs, or worse, the Studio becomes Bankrupt, the Bloodbath will be immense. xD

Mass Shift

You are deluded and so are a few other posters here....Also how much is Halo Infinite costing to make?

No comparison. Halo Infinite has a release date and not a never ending development cycle. A lack of structure is very bad for development. Any publisher would have abandoned Star Citizen for its failure to deliver and remaining in alpha state for this long.

Basically crowd funding is supporting the poor structure of this game's development. Even if a game I pre-ordered gets cancelled, I would get my money refunded to me. Crowd funders won't see a dime returned to them.

Last edited:

John Day

As everytime the thread comes back, it’s crazy. But i’ll see if i can play when it launches finally.

Woo-Fu

Banned
What am I deluded about? I suppose I imagined that 250 million? I suppose I'm imaging that it has been in development since 2011? I suppose I'm imaging that what is looking like a 10+ year development cycle will have to revisit systems multiple times if they want to stay current?

Did I say anything about Halo, is this thread about Halo? Whataboutism isn't going to win this one for you.

Ease down Ripley, ease down.

V4skunk

Banned
What am I deluded about? I suppose I imagined that 250 million? I suppose I'm imaging that it has been in development since 2011? I suppose I'm imaging that what is looking like a 10+ year development cycle will have to revisit systems multiple times if they want to stay current?

Did I say anything about Halo, is this thread about Halo? Whataboutism isn't going to win this one for you.

Ease down Ripley, ease down.
You are complaining about a technical tour de force though...Let the cultists pay their thousands of £!
We'll end up with a beast of a game eventually.
I'm only sticking up for the game because I understand how far they are pushing the tech.

Buki1

This game honestly looks like the future of gaming.

Yeah, after lootboxes and P2W, next step in milking gamers more is obviously Pay 2 Wait and buying microtransactions for a game that will be never released. Future of gaming. I bet that EA is extremely jealous of what kind of scam Roberts pulled.

Top Bottom