• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's off-shoot Squadron 42 probably won't make 2017 either

Tell that to the Dev team who has missed milestone after milestone by years. If you miss your target by what will likely be two years, then the original target was never realistic or honest to the supporters. That's on them, not the fans who are being given a false hope of release year after year.

P5-Winter-PS3.jpg

Amazon-The-Last-Guardian-Listing.png

Look at these scamwarez!

This project is a farce, it's been rebooted twice in development because Chris Roberts keeps seeing things he likes better in other games - proper DNF syndrome.

Notably it was "greybox or better" meaning final geometry, just untextured and without art passes for the whole game back in 2016, this year the update was "whitebox or better" meaning several aspects including the design of the enemies and all of their ships and some of the levels were started from scratch.

The big cause this time seems to have been the release of Infinite Warfare, which fell right within the eight week window between "we hope to show you this vertical slice" and "this vertical slice has been scrapped and also we're reworking the project".

P5-Winter-PS3.jpg

Amazon-The-Last-Guardian-Listing.png

Look at these scamwarez!

Neither asked for a bunch of money up front and continued to release products that cost more and more money while continually delaying their overall product. I don't think star citizen is a scam but making false equivocations doesn't help your argument.

Vash63

How much of Star Citizen is playable?

Isn’t it just like a space sim? Or are people spending thousands to sit in a hangar and look at a spaceship?

3.0 is in the hands of about 1k early testers. It has the new planet tech, fuel, trading, missions, inventory, UI and a lot of other technology that the game has been waiting on since last year. Once it's out the major blockers are getting more players into a single instance, meshing and transfer between servers and then simpler features and content like mining, salvage, personnell transport and various other career types.

For one, that Last Guardian date is a placeholder from Amazon, not an announced date, so that doesn't really count.

Also, those 2 games never asked for your money to fund development.

It took 7 years from announcement to release and it was delayed numerous times. Also, why would a games development change because it's crowd funded? Are you actually saying they need to force shit out unfinished or compromise the content just to make the date? The development of a game shouldn't be altered because of the way it was funded. People who pay for a game expect a good game, not something quickly churned out so the company can claim they delivered their promise.

This is delayed by 4 years! 4! 5 if we acknowledge that it's not coming in 2018, which CIG seem to with their statements that the game has gotten less further along.

Since Star Citizen was announced:
  • The Wii U was released and discontinued
  • The PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One have been released, the Scorpio will be out too
  • The entire Survival Games Genre has come into existence
  • Dota 2 and the entire MOBA boom happened
  • Hearthstone and the entire digital CCG boom happened
  • Destiny, all its expansions and Destiny 2 have released

ViciousDS

Banned
This is delayed by 4 years! 4! 5 if we acknowledge that it's not coming in 2018, which CIG seem to with their statements that the game has gotten less further along.

thats fucking insane

also lol at the defense of delays when i didn't pay a single dime for persona or last guardian till it launched

There was the fighting game with a rabbit that finally got released after 12 years of dev time this week .

So yeah , anything can happen am i rite ?

MisterR

The ๖ۜBronx;252167312 said:
I do wonder which straw it will be that breaks the back of this and it becomes the drama it was born to be.

It will take the point where they run out of money for development. That's when the shit will finally hit the fan with the remaining backers.

Ganyc

Tell that to the Dev team who has missed milestone after milestone by years. If you miss your target by what will likely be two years, then the original target was never realistic or honest to the supporters. That's on them, not the fans who are being given a false hope of release year after year.

they never had release dates. Only estimate dates, chris always said that. If fans believed that these were release dates, then it is fair to say that that is on them, not on cig.

SQ42 got delayed because they had to develop a new ai system (and other gameplay systems that will be introduced in 3.0) for sc and sq42. Of course sq42 will be "delayed" if those needed 3.0 systems are delayed. Or do you really expect that those missed milestones won't have an impact on other planed features?

This is game development, even big publishers like Bethesda or Bioware have their problems with "normal" mmos (and these had 7+ years development time)

Vash63

What's your point? The WiiU had a short self life as it was a failure. Plenty of games take longer to develop than its shelf life. The game has only been in development with even half of their current staffing for about 3 years with a smaller team working for a couple years prior which is nothing unusual for a big AAA game with this kind of budget and scope.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I love these kinds of lists. It's kind of nice having another product we can do this with. Duke Nukem Forever got pretty hilarious.

KHlover

Banned
At this point I don't even care about the game anymore, I just want the book that's inevitably going to be written about its development.

Vash63

I totally remember paying 10k so that I could have and look at all those chairs in an empty room while the game was in development. The best chairs.

Totally the same.

How does them being paid by the public versus private investors mean they should somehow develop the game faster? I'm not seeing the relationship between funding source and production speed.

they never had release dates. Only estimate dates, chris always said that. If fans believed that these were release dates, then it is fair to say that that is on them, not on cig.

Okay, so if those 'estimate dates' have changed from 2015 to 2016 to 2017 and now TBA, those estimations probably aren't very useful to anyone at all, huh?

It took 7 years from announcement to release and it was delayed numerous times. Also, why would a games development change because it's crowd funded? Are you actually saying they need to force shit out unfinished or compromise the content just to make the date? The development of a game shouldn't be altered because of the way it was funded. People who pay for a game expect a good game, not something quickly churned out so the company can claim they delivered their promise.

What will happen if the developer runs out of money? What will happen to those who have pledged thousands of dollars into this game? How many of the promised features people backed for real money will make it in the end?

What would happen to anyone except the developers if these other games did not make it?

Nothing.

ckaneo

How does them being paid by the public versus private investors mean they should somehow develop the game faster? I'm not seeing the relationship between funding source and production speed.

Because when you have private investors you have bosses.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This has the potential to inflict quite a bit of damage on gaming as a whole down the line

I don't think so. It could (and maybe has already) hurt gaming crowdfunding efforts, but I think the industry as a whole need not be too concerned with whatever the fuck inevitably happens with Star Citizen.

kmag

My main concern with it is, we're this far in and what they've released thus far* just isn't any fun. The flight model is terrible, and all the cool ideas and immersion essentially just end of as visual gloss which almost instantly becomes tedious (I'm looking at you needlessly complicated animations of getting into cockpits or seats)

* excluding 3.0 which I've not played.

Javier23

Banned
It will take the point where they run out of money for development. That's when the shit will finally hit the fan with the remaining backers.
The way it's always been with every other mismanaged and ambitious indie development, they will slap a 1.0 label on an unfinished and janky game with like one or two solar systems out of the promised gazillion so that they can make some money back and keep working on the rest of the game, to be finished (and probably not) at an uncertain future date. The rest to be sold, of course, as DLCs and expansion packs. Or just watch them release a buggy half of SQ42 at 60 bucks.

I steer away from ever criticizing this game not to provoke the ire of its rabid fanbase. I have always said, and it's true, that if finished and if it turns out good I'll buy it, of course. But I'm so close to swearing to eat my hat if that's ever the case.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I totally remember paying 10k so that I could have and look at all those chairs in an empty room while the game was in development. The best chairs.

Totally the same.
Persona 5 was only delayed by two years. It's nowhere near the rest of the stuff mentioned it simply took a while to localise.

Ok, and? If a game takes a long time to complete then it takes a long time. There are games that have been in early access for years too. Persona 5, Last Guardian, Breath of the Wild, Dragon Age Origins, Spore, Prey, Team Fortress 2, and tons of others were all delayed and took longer than this. Do you honestly think Shenmue 3 will be completed in 2018? It barely looks like more than concept videos still.

This is a crowd funded game. Not an investment. If you gave away $10,000 then I'd sure as hell hope you'd want to wait and get a good game. You know damn well that games change their release date all the time and without a corporate company watching over then they don't need to do 120 hour crunch weeks or have set holiday dates or require 18gb day one patches because they couldn't finish before the game went gold.

If it's released and it's shit then you get mad or just ask for a refund if you don't want to wait.

Vash63

Because when you have private investors you have bosses.

That doesn't really answer my question at all. The post I quoted was referencing privately funded games that take this long - it's not uncommon. Why would this being publicly funded make it develop at a faster pace?

Phinor

They call it an off-shoot to Star Citizen, but wasn't this part originally the pitch that got the first backers to pledge to the project?

It's the reason why I backed the original Kickstarter five years ago. I never expected it to come out in 2014 but it would probably be out by now if the online portion of the game (that I don't care about) didn't explode and collect 100mil+. I still don't mind, starting from nearly zero and a project of this size, five years isn't a long time for that. It'll release one day or it won't, that's how it works whether the money comes from backers or from other sources. At no point has anyone been forced to put any money into this project.

The people angry about Star Citizen are still mostly people who don't care about the game at all.

Ganyc

Dude this has been in development since 2012 with constant content creep. This is not the normal lol.

"dude" this is normal for an MMO (and SC+SQ42 are two games).

and in 2012 it wasn't even in full production (or production at all, they had to build a team and offices first)

citizenemployees3hqbr.jpg

I'm curious how will this end. It seems obvious at this point that we won't be getting the "full game" that was promised what seems like an eternity ago. Will we get a broken Early Access-like launch that will fund further development that will make the game into something closer to the initial plans? Elite: Dangerous was pretty barren at launch too, nowadays it has plenty of stuff going for it.

Or will they eventually run out of money and player goodwill without a launchable product in their hands? While I'm not particularly interested in this game, this option could become devastating for many other crowdfunded projects on the long run. Regardless, I think selling DLCs (in form of ships) for hundreds or thousands of dollars is poor form. I mean, nobody is forcing you to buy them, but it's insane you get the option to buy into future content that may be years down the line, when not even the base game seems anywhere near launch for at least another year. It has to be said that this model is allowing them to fund a very expensive and lenghty development, but it's not sustainable forever, so they better produce something eventually that isn't a barebones pre-alpha.

gatti-man

Neither asked for a bunch of money up front and continued to release products that cost more and more money while continually delaying their overall product. I don't think star citizen is a scam but making false equivocations doesn't help your argument.

They asked for $30

Because you have already sold your product to the consumer. And he has then a right to get that product, or at least some decent indication on what and when he can expect it.

Vash63

Because you have already sold your product to the consumer. And he has then a right to get that product, or at least some decent indication on what and when he can expect it.

That still doesn't answer my question. How does the source of the money cause the actual software development to progress at a faster rate? It's a huge, complex game and it's taking a long time - just like other games of its scope.

People keep dodging this question with moral claims, that's not what I'm asking and I don't really care. If a backer feels lied to they can ask for a refund.

My point is the source of the money has no relationship to how quickly the game will get produced, and given its scope and size of the staff they are not taking an unusually long time.

That still doesn't answer my question. How does the source of the money cause the actual software development to progress at a faster rate? It's a huge, complex game and it's taking a long time - just like other games of its scope.

People keep dodging this question with moral claims, that's not what I'm asking and I don't really care. If a backer feels lied to they can ask for a refund.

My point is the source of the money has no relationship to how quickly the game will get produced, and given its scope and size of the staff they are not taking an unusually long time.
It doesn't change the actual development, but they should have not misrepresented the amount of time it would take, or at least calculated a ton of delays into it.

iHaunter

People don't get it.

They didn't start with $161,000,000. They didn't start with the 300+ employees they have now. They started with 8.

citizenemployees.jpg

Top Bottom