• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Command vs Metroid Prime Hunters

While these games have little in common from a gameplay perspective they are both similar entries in their respective franchise. Spinoffs that don't deviate too far from the mainline games.
Axza314.png

s24082_NDS_33.jpg

Metroid Prime Hunters, like the rest of the Prime series, is a first person adventure game. It shares many attributes with the Prime games while focusing a little more on combat than puzzle solving and exploration. It wasn't developed by Retro Studios but rather Nintendo Software Technology Corporation and thus was a little disconnected from a quality perspective. The touch controls worked reasonably well although this setup was perfected with Kid Icarus Uprising.
46611-StarFox_Command_%28U%29%28Legacy%29-4.jpg

Star Fox Command however took inspiration from the cancelled Star Fox 2 and offered strategy aspects to each battle. The core dogfights played reasonably well however it was prone to repetition and rarely reached the quality levels of previous Star Fox games. Its not a bad game by any means but it certainly isn't Star Fox 64.

In my opinion Metroid Prime Hunters not only played more like the mainline entries but was a better designed game overall. The touch controls worked fairly well, the level design was good and the Hunters were a great motivator. Star Fox Command isn't bad by any means but it certainly isn't a memorable game to me.

-shadow-

Hunters even with the lacklustre single player mode was great. It was a showcase title for the original DS. Great dual screen setup, used every feature the DS had to offer and even had ingame voice-chat through out the entire multiplayer.

This game is far beyond anything Nintendo has done since regarding online connectivity. It's a shame that their Japanese sector still to this day seems outright terrified to offer anything other than the bare minimum. NST was great.

Commands, I tried it but it's just boring. Nothing really memorable about it other than the amazing F-Zero references.

SerTapTap

Hunters win easily. IMO neither really rise above that "good for a portable game" watermark, but if you played all the console Metroid games I could recommend Hunters. I can't say the same for Command.

Multiplayer was pretty damn good (for a portable) too but that's dead now I guess.

Moff

I really liked Star Fox command, more than most certainly. I always wanted a sequel. I think the genre mix worked very well.

Metroid Prime Hunters I pretty much only liked for the controls, it was a novelty and with the thumbthingy it controled really well. apart from that it was a very poor game, althogh it was fun to play a multiplayer FPS in bed at night.

Jazzem

Hunters even with the lacklustre single player mode was great. It was a showcase title for the original DS. Great dual screen setup, used every feature the DS had to offer and even had ingame voice-chat through out the entire multiplayer.

Wasn't the voice chat only before/after matches? Still better than the majority of Nintendo titles :p I swear the mic quality was better than it is in Smash 4 Wii U as well...

IMO the touch controls in Hunters were perfect. It worked exactly like a mouse did on the PC. The fact that you had to pick up and replace your stylus to continue a large turn was a very familiar feeling, and I settled into it almost immediately. None of this silly "roller ball" nonsense that appeared in Kid-Icarus. I couldn't get my head round that at all, and it was one of the reasons I decided to put that game down.

Nintendo really blew me and my group of friends away with the multiplayer in Prime Hunters. We'd play in the mornings waiting for class, sit around the lunch table and blast each other, then go home to someone's house and pick it back up. Probably some of the best multiplayer gaming experiences of my life.

Meanwhile, Star Fox, I was a huge fan of 64 and was really excited when I found out there was a new one for DS coming out, but ultimately that game just dissapointed me. Maybe I was expecting something closer to 64, but it just didn't click with me.

RyType

Starfox command for me- nothing amazing and nowhere near as fun as the original starfox 2 but I liked it enough at the time.

Metroid Prime Hunters is shockingly good for a DS game. They pushed the system to its limits, and so early in its lifespan.

Multiplayer felt like Unreal Tournament or something, they really went all out on it.

Hunters.

In fact I wonder if people still play it online?

Would buy again.

I don't think they can because IIRC DS and Wii online have been shut down for a while now?

StayDead

I loved Hunters. Played so much of it online. The single player was meh though.

I also liked Command a lot, but I never finished it I don't think.

Berordn

Command is far superior to hunters. Hunters is just kinda bad, as a metroid game and a first person shooter/adventure. Command is pretty fun.

I liked both, but in the end I actually thought Hunters was the better game. Decent class based FPS for handhelds, even with the almost crippling imbalance.

Command was fun but by the end all the missions felt the same. The dogfighting never got any more interesting than when the game started.

-shadow-

Wasn't the voice chat only before/after matches? Still better than the majority of Nintendo titles :p I swear the mic quality was better than it is in Smash 4 Wii U as well...
I think it was also during the actual match, but it's been years since I've played the game and I can't check it. But yes, even if that wasn't the case, it's more than: Splatoon, Mario Kart 7/8 and Kid Icarus combined...

GWX

IMO the touch controls in Hunters were perfect. It worked exactly like a mouse did on the PC. The fact that you had to pick up and replace your stylus to continue a large turn was a very familiar feeling, and I settled into it almost immediately. None of this silly "roller ball" nonsense that appeared in Kid-Icarus. I couldn't get my head round that at all, and it was one of the reasons I decided to put that game down.

If you set up rotation speed to max and inertia to a minimum (so it stops immediately after flicking), you get stylus controls in Kid Icarus: Uprising that are pretty much equivalent to those of Metroid Prime: Hunters. It feels really good IMO.

Rambler

Prime Hunters was the best multiplayer shooter anyone could have possibly made on the DS but that still doesn't mean that it was a good idea to make a multiplayer shooter on the DS.

I 100%ed Star Fox Command - and I do not usually complete games, so it seems that I enjoyed it quite a lot, - but I had way more fun with Metroid Prime Hunters.

Prime Hunters was the best multiplayer shooter anyone could have possibly made on the DS but that still doesn't mean that it was a good idea to make a multiplayer shooter on the DS.

I heard the Call of Duty DS games were surprisingly awesome but I don't know much about their multiplayer. Hunters could probably be said to be better just by virtue of more people playing it.

Hunters felt almost PC-ish in its controls, which was bizarre (and really effective) for an FPS on the DS. Multiplayer was great and basically class-based Quake with a Metroid tinge before all the cheaters showed up, and the music holds up even compared to other Prime titles. I dissected the music data from MPH a while back and it's really interesting how they managed to get it to sound as good and consistent as they did - there are a handful of "live" software instruments that respond in key accordingly, but a solid 80% of the sounds are actually sample loops that were rigged to be arranged in unison.

Star Fox Command was my first Star Fox game. That shit had like 50 endings or some such. Now imagine my face when I first played Star Fox 64. Whew.

Morts

I liked Star Fox Command significantly more. The strategy part was fun for me and the different ships were great.

Zomba13

I really liked them both. Hunters had some really fun multiplayer and Command had those weird ass "what if..." endings (including the one where Fox and Falco become alternate universe F-Zero pilots).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Hunters was a shit Metroid game whereas Star Fox Command was at least fun to play, with multiple endings encouraging replay value.

Eh, which Star Fox isn't? The entire franchise is basically the Muppet Babies episode where they play Star Wars.

In Command, they decided to change space opera for a soap opera, and replace memorable one-liners with awful, DeviantArt-esque art.

Top Bottom