• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero delayed to July 2016?

Lol. If true, Miyamoto's management of the project has been amateurish at best. Remember when he said he wanted the game to be done in 1 year, back at E3 2014 ?

This should be delayed even further and TOTALLY redone under PG's direction.

Lol. If true, Miyamoto's management of the project has been amateurish at best. Remember when he said he wanted the game to be done in 1 year, back at E3 2014 ?

No, I don't want a Platinum Games Star Fox, I want a Nintendo + Platinum Games Star Fox.

Ahh yes, Miyamoto the amateur.

Perhaps he decided to expand the scope of the game.

RK128

At this point, the game should be remade totally and aiming for NX's launch.

Another Cross-Gen launch game like Zelda? Not a bad move all things considered...but I wonder how many people would be pissed off with that being the case :(. I guess if that is really happening, then it could release in July on Wii U and November alongside Zelda for launch in November.

No, I don't want a Platinum Games Star Fox, I want a Nintendo + Platinum Games Star Fox.

Considering the result we're getting right now, I think Nintendo shouldn't touch it.
Star Fox should've been given to either PG, Treasure or Sakurai.

http://kotaku.com/we-played-shigeru-miyamotos-new-star-fox-game-1588712327

As early as Star Fox seems to be, Nintendo reps say the game is set to be released within a year. Miyamoto himself said that he thought development could go quickly. "The game started off as an experiment and what we're showing you here is in full development. We're planning to complete the game in a year." Confusingly, though, he also said that Nintendo is seeking development partners on it, making it sound like the game is far, far from done.

Definitely amateurish.

TDLink

I mean maybe it won't be totally, but it seems pretty clear this is at least partially what is happening. Clearly Kimishima didn't think it was ready in the fall and doesn't think it's ready now for April.

Which is fine by me, last time we saw it the game still looks like it had a long way to go. Giving Platinum more time on the game can only be a good thing. And as far as I'm concerned, Miyamoto's forced design philosophy on this title is potentially its biggest problem.

Miyamoto is the guy who told us peach wasn't playable in NSMB Wii because "we would have to have special processing and programming to handle how the skirt is handled within the gameplay."

He can be a bit weird.

Neiteio

Miyamoto is the guy who told us peach wasn't playable in NSMB Wii because "we would have to have special processing and programming to handle how the skirt is handled within the gameplay."

He can be a bit weird.
Miyamoto is a genius, for sure, and few people understand game feel better. But I agree he can be a bit backwards sometimes when it comes to certain design decisions. IIRC, he also wasn't originally keen on Mario spinning around Bowser in Super Mario 64, a.k.a. one of the most memorable boss fights ever and the perfect expression of fighting with the 360-degree control of true analog controls in a full 3D environment. I'm glad whoever championed that idea stuck to their guns and ultimately convinced him it would work, because in the end it did.

Morts

Kind of a mess if true. Push it back another year and rework it for the NX. No reason to let it stumble out and risk it harming the franchise further.

Miyamoto is a genius, for sure, and few people understand game feel better. But I agree he can be a bit backwards sometimes when it comes to certain design decisions. IIRC, he also wasn't originally keen on Mario spinning around Bowser in Super Mario 64, a.k.a. one of the most memorable boss fights ever and the perfect expression of fighting with the 360-degree control of true analog controls in a full 3D environment. I'm glad whoever championed that idea stuck to their guns and ultimately convinced him it would work, because in the end it did.

He is a genius. That's why I'm being so harsh with him. You don't expect that kind of management from someone like him.

This is a flawed premise that assumes the product that doesn't exist is better than a product that also, of yet, does not exist in any finalized form.

It's not about premise, it's about we know what these guys are capable of and what they would've done with Star Fox.

iBlue

I hope this game gets multiplayer or at least a 7-10hr campaign. I really don't pay full price for this, star fox 3ds only lasted like 30 minutes.

I didn't know you were a Seer.

It's about expectations. Not about being a Seer. You know that with PG, you get a lot of action, and over the top boss fights. You know that with Treasure, you get a fast paced and tight gameplay. You know that with Sakurai, you'll get a meaty gameplay, fast paced and filled with action too.

He can be a bit weird.

To be honest, he's kind of correct. It would look and feel strange if Peach controlled just like Mario because the skirt adds the ability to float. If they added the floating ability for Peach in NSMBWii, thus making her playable, they had to implement other abilities as portrayed in Super Mario Bros 2. At this point, it requires rebalancing all the levels and basically making a totally different game.

It was easier to make a 2D Mario game with Mario, Luigi and two Toads since Mario and Luigi had the same physics in most Mario platformers (save for Super Mario Bros 2, The Lost Levels and Galaxy), and Toads have relatively minor role in Mario platformers and thus were not associated with some particular physics.

What kind of management? You seem to have some internal knowledge of this project, so I'd be interested in hearing how things are panning out.

Did you read the link and quote ? Back when it was unveiled as a prototype, Miyamoto expressed the wish to finish it within a year. 12 months from a prototype to gold. And they still were looking for a partner to developp the game.

How can anyone like him imagine to be able to ship the game within a year starting from nothing ?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
That'd honestly be great news. A Platinum Starfox is a dream comes true, but from what was shown, the game didn't get enough development time. The more polish the better.

Did you read the link and quote ? Back when it was unveiled as a prototype, Miyamoto expressed the wish to finish it within a year. 12 months from a prototype to gold. And they still were looking for a partner to developp the game.

Ok cool. So what happened between then and now? Mind laying out how the project evolved?

I mean, you obviously know a lot about this title's internal development process, since you've called Miyamoto's management into question. I'm just curious about how the game is shaping up.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It's not about premise, it's about we know what these guys are capable of and what they would've done with Star Fox.

Nintendo's strength has always been that their control mechanics have a reputation of being polished and head and shoulders over the wonky messes other developers put together. If you want a perfect example, compare the Namco programmed Star Fox Assault controls versus the Nintendo programmed Star Fox 64.

Sakurai isn't a development entity, just a single staff member. With that said, his games aren't exactly known for having tight controls. Treasure is incongruous to any development project that is AAA - HD. Nintendo's Sin & Punishment 2 producer Yagamami reiterated how S&P2 was a huge ordeal to get done because it's kind of above Treasure's comfort zone in dealing with schedules and big budgets.

Platinum couldn't have done the game themselves at this point with the meager staff they have allocated around projects. Secondly, Miyamoto would still only have funded that game if it was validating the GamePad either way.

How can anyone like him imagine to be able to ship the game within a year starting from nothing ?

It wasn't starting from nothing. It was a work-in-progress prototype that the in-house team worked on for the past 6 years. It's exactly how the Pikmin team and other internal teams operate. When the game goes into full production - meaning the inclusion of a full production staff - that's where PG (and Beetribe and whoever) joined in.

udivision

Multple Delays can simply mean poor project management, or unforeseen development issues. Not to say that "we're making everything better" isn't an impossible reason, but at the same time "we're trying to get things to where they need to be" can be just as likely.

Muzy72

Banned
Star Fox Zero isn't going to be an NX game, lol. This mindset of "Nintendo should cancel everything and put it on NX" is super annoying.

And they can take all the time they need on this one. I just want it to be good.

Banned
NX launch title confirmed along with Zelda!!!!!!

This game needs more time and polish. I'm all for it.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I did get a email from Amazon UK saying the release date for Star Fox Zero was still undetermined, though I'm not sure if it had a roundabout date set for it before I got the message though. Delay it for as long it needs to be.

*sigh*

I'm really looking forward to playing this so that's a bit disappointing, but thinking of the big picture it continues to look better every time we see it so I'm all for the best game we can possibly get regardless of delays.

udivision

If it ends up an NX game, and if the NX really does end up getting some of those PS4 timed exclusives, then by the time I actually buy an NX Star Fox might be low on the list of games I'd need to get to catch up. That would be in contrast to being high on the short list of "last year of Wii U" games list.

bumpkin

NX launch title confirmed along with Zelda!!!!!!

This game needs more time and polish. I'm all for it.
The trouble is, Nintendo loves spacing their releases out for more consistent fiscal quarters. In a perfect gamers' scenario, we'd get the NX launch with one new title from all of Nintendo's primetime IPs; Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Pikmin, Donkey Kong and Splatoon (since that's their latest darling). A coming out party where they're like, "Bitches leave" and have an amaze-balls launch lineup.

...but they won't. They would never do that. And it's a damn shame.

Top Bottom