• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero delayed to July 2016?

This is for spreading the release calender.

Let's hope they also use the extra time to perfect the game. Some times they freeze completed games for the sake of dates.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine it's because of the fact that Miyamoto wanted to have it release around a year after E3 2014. If this delay is true, then it took twice as long.

Good. I know Platinum are wizards, but one year was simply too short for a project like this in my opinion.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine it's because of the fact that Miyamoto wanted to have it release around a year after E3 2014. If this delay is true, then it took twice as long.

I wonder if the scope changed. I remember thinking it was going to be a small eshop release due to the short development time.

It didn't look all that different.
I disagree. Watching the comparison videos shows they clearly did significant work in both textures (many of which straight up didn't exist at E3, the Arwing doesn't look like origami anymore) and large changes to lighting and shadows/shadow resolution. Camera angles and other effects were also changed to create a more visually appealing game.

If this game gets a delay, I hope it's a development delay and not just one to pad out the schedule. In other words, I want this game to be in development through July and not just sit around done starting in April. I want this game to be as good as possible.

Zelda TPHD releases on March 4. Also, rumors (Nintendo UK) are currently putting Mario & Sonic in August, so it'll probably be that month's game.

Since Nintendo has 6 currently announced retail games releasing this year, it'll definitely be more than March and May that don't have retail releases unless Nintendo announces more (I'm not counting smaller digital releases, even though things like Box Boy and Mario vs. DK are great). That said, if this is Wii U's final year, I think this is somewhat okay, since we'll likely get an explosion of titles (2-4) this holiday season at a new system's launch. If it's NOT its final year...then I am very worried about what 2017 will look like.

I think it's pretty clear this is its last year, and I agree it's not bad if it is. Certainly better than the Wii's last year. Granted, it's only decent because Zelda and Star Fox were delayed, but still.

SalvaPot

I don't know if it means much, but my Amazon pre-order (which has always said April), now says August 31st - September 2nd.

I can't wait to play it, but if there is a further delay and it makes the game better, I fully support it.

Interesting, can you please provide a screenshot so I can add it to the first post?

Diffense

Yeah, It's pretty funny watching the Zelda video in which Aonuma promised Zelda in 2015 and Miyamoto promised Star Fox. We'll be well into 2016 before they're released.

Josh7289

I don't know if it means much, but my Amazon pre-order (which has always said April), now says August 31st - September 2nd.

I can't wait to play it, but if there is a further delay and it makes the game better, I fully support it.
I'm still seeing April for my Amazon US pre-order, but I'll provide an update in this thread if I notice that change.

Also, I wonder if all of these Amazon "leaks" (TPHD amiibo, SF0 date) means we are getting a Direct soon. I think I remember something similar happening with Mario Party 10 and the board game mode.

Servbot24

Banned
At this point I don't think it really matters, as long as it doesn't run into NX. This is the type of game that I'm not sure review scores will change sales for too much

Josh7289

Also, I wonder if all of these Amazon "leaks" (TPHD amiibo, SF0 date) means we are getting a Direct soon. I think I remember something similar happening with Mario Party 10 and the board game mode.
I hope so. Nintendo has held at least some kind of Direct in January/February every year since 2012.

Good news, this is a game in need of delaying for further improvement as gameplay footage so far were somewhat underwhelming, especially in graphics. It was awful at E3 2015 and they improved a bit in the last Direct, but still, it desperately needs a better visual treatment as it looks bad and has been panned by players so far.

Being reworked for NX.

I wouldn't object that.

Interesting, can you please provide a screenshot so I can add it to the first post?

I've been checking recently on the Amazon app on my phone and it's saying August 31 - September 2nd. I just hopped on my computer to take a screenshot and it's showing a release date of April 22nd, so now I don't know what to think.

I'll keep an eye on it and if it changes on the website, I'll definitely post a screenshot. Sorry for any misinformation.

I remember when this was first revealed as a tech demo thing that was assumed to be quickly released within the year of its showing.
And now here we are with another potential delay years later.

Not that I mind, i'm hankering for another Starfox game on par with 64 and gimmicky stuff aside I feel optimistic here.

Funny; I'm receiving delay notices for Star Fox Zero from Amazon daily, as something internal to them still lists the temporary pre-delay ship date of the end of December 2015.

Yet another empty Wii U schedule for the first half of the year (even more than usual, with no Tropical Freeze or Kirby to hold the fort) is unfortunate, especially as I have no interest in Pokken, but given the incredible longevity of its 2015 releases (I'm not even close to exhausting Splatoon, Xenoblade, or especially Mario Maker) I expect my system will still be getting a lot of use. I'd rather see this game be great. It does make me wonder, though, if the NX win't be due until early 2017, something I wouldn't rule out if the few remaining Wii U games (possibly including Pikmin 4 if it's not delayed for years to be shunted to the next system like Pikmin 3) are spread very sparsely throughout the year.

moerser

i just browsed the nintendo of europe retail partner site yesterday and the release date there now says q2, instead of april 2016

CrisKre

Amazon US still lists it as April 22. Mybe Nintendo Europe is doing one if its weird launch switcharoos and having Pokken in april/StaFox Zero in july?

AdanVC

If this ends up being true....

*throws Wii U through window*

Looks like I'm gonna have to stick playing Splatoon until the end of times isn'it?

I thought for sure there'd be a Direct this week, but then again, stuff like the Pokemon bundles, Year of the Mythical Pokemon, a new Mario vs Donkey Kong, and Bayonetta 2's reprint would also be prime Direct material and they were announced separately out of the blue.

Peltz

I wonder if the scope changed. I remember thinking it was going to be a small eshop release due to the short development time.
I think it's more to do with the perception at that time that Wii U really needed a big e3 to be "saved" so they announced as much stuff as possible for 2015 even though a lot of it got bumped to 2016.

It became clear that they were no longer saving the hardware so they are now spreading the releases further apart to bide time for software teams to prepare for a new hardware launch.

If the Wii U showed more signs of life in sales, I think they would have met their 2015 release goal.

Then again, Miyamoto is known to delay his masterpieces.

RK128

If this game gets a delay, I hope it's a development delay and not just one to pad out the schedule. In other words, I want this game to be in development through July and not just sit around done starting in April. I want this game to be as good as possible.

Zelda TPHD releases on March 4. Also, rumors (Nintendo UK) are currently putting Mario & Sonic in August, so it'll probably be that month's game.

Since Nintendo has 6 currently announced retail games releasing this year, it'll definitely be more than March and May that don't have retail releases unless Nintendo announces more (I'm not counting smaller digital releases, even though things like Box Boy and Mario vs. DK are great). That said, if this is Wii U's final year, I think this is somewhat okay, since we'll likely get an explosion of titles (2-4) this holiday season at a new system's launch. If it's NOT its final year...then I am very worried about what 2017 will look like.

Okay so the list would be like this then?
-Smash Brothers DLC: Feb. 2016
-Twilight Princess HD: March 2016
-Pokken: April 2016
-Box Boy 2 & Mario vs. DK: May 2016
-GameCube Remaster (Paper Mario TTYD/Mario Sunshine): June/July 2016
-Star Fox Zero: July 2016
-Mario & Sonic: August 2016
-#FE: August/September 2016
-*Zelda U: November 2016
-*Diddy Kong Racing 2: November 2016
-*3D Super Mario Title (Nintendo EAD): November 2016
-*Amiibo Title (Wii Sports/WarioWare Team): December 2016
-*Pikmin 4: December 2016

* is NX launch titles (Cross-Gen or otherwise)

Seems like a good list considering the news you pointed out. If the NX is NOT a console releasing this fall......I see these joining the roster:
-Diddy Kong Racing 2 (Monster Games/Retro Studios): November 2016
-Pikmin 4 (Nintendo EAD): October 2016
-GameCube Remaster (Paper Mario TTYD or Mario Sunshine): June 2016

2017 would be a very....empty year if we aren't getting a new Nintendo console but I could see this happening:
-#FE is release early 2017 due a lengthy translation with English VA and the like
-Another GC remaster is announced for early 2017 (Luigi's Mansion or F-Zero GX)
-NX is announced for Summer 2017 (console at the very least).

Rosur

I hope this pays of for star fox. Though don't really see this moving to the NX unless the NX has a screen like the Wii U, as seems to focused on using it as an aiming device.

The End

I hope this pays of for star fox. Though don't really see this moving to the NX unless the NX has a screen like the Wii U, as seems to focused on using it as an aiming device.

That's also the main source of the problem: forcing the wii U to render the same screen twice effectively halves its power. A wireframe (or flat-shaded) "targeting view" would have 1) been a neat visual touch and 2) significantly less demanding.

That being said, if the NX isn't coming out in 2016, Nintendo is going to have stretch their upcoming wii U games (Pokken, SF:0, Z:TPHD, #FE) very very thin to cover 2016.

TDLink

Miyamoto forcing that to be the focus is my main problem with it. The way aiming and moving together feels is what makes Star Fox what it is. It's a real disappointment that it is being pushed in this direction that will completely alienate it from truly feeling like a Star Fox game. Not to mention the extra rendering decreases its graphic potential on top of that.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so the list would be like this then?
-Smash Brothers DLC: Feb. 2016
-Twilight Princess HD: March 2016
-Pokken: April 2016
-Box Boy 2 & Mario vs. DK: May 2016
-GameCube Remaster (Paper Mario TTYD/Mario Sunshine): June/July 2016
-Star Fox Zero: July 2016
-Mario & Sonic: August 2016
-#FE: August/September 2016
-*Zelda U: November 2016
-*Diddy Kong Racing 2: November 2016
-*3D Super Mario Title (Nintendo EAD): November 2016
-*Amiibo Title (Wii Sports/WarioWare Team): December 2016
-*Pikmin 4: December 2016

* is NX launch titles (Cross-Gen or otherwise)

Seems like a good list considering the news you pointed out. If the NX is NOT a console releasing this fall......I see these joining the roster:
-Diddy Kong Racing 2 (Monster Games/Retro Studios): November 2016
-Pikmin 4 (Nintendo EAD): October 2016
-GameCube Remaster (Paper Mario TTYD or Mario Sunshine): June 2016

2017 would be a very....empty year if we aren't getting a new Nintendo console but I could see this happening:
-#FE is release early 2017 due a lengthy translation with English VA and the like
-Another GC remaster is announced for early 2017 (Luigi's Mansion or F-Zero GX)
-NX is announced for Summer 2017 (console at the very least).

You're very optimistic, but I'll be happy if that turns out to be the case! Personally, I'm not expecting many more retail Wii U games to get announced this year. At most, I'm expecting one, maybe two if both of them are on the scale of Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and amiibo Festival or remasters. I instead expect NX to have a number of great titles in its first two years due to development resources shifting to the next system as of 2014 or early 2015 at the latest (now it's my turn to be optimistic). The only game I could see proving this wrong would be Pikmin 4 being on Wii U and not NX.

Personally, my list (with what has been officially announced and assuming this rumor is true) is as follows:

January:
February: (Smash Bros. DLC)
March: Twilight Princess HD
April: (Mini Mario & Friends)
May: Pokken Tournament
June:
July: Star Fox Zero
August: Mario & Sonic
September: #FE
October:
November:
December: Zelda Wii U

I put parentheses around smaller digital releases. If Star Fox ends up being in April, I'd move Mini Mario to either February, June, or July, and potentially #FE to July. I didn't put BoxBoy anywhere because I can't remember all the 3DS release dates at the moment (/it's a 3DS game), but April would follow the same release schedule as the last one. I also put Zelda Wii U in December to match how Twilight Princess was handled. I expect November, and possibly October, to be empty so that all attention is on NX. I need to keep better track of what 3DS titles are releasing this year, as that will probably impact how Nintendo schedules Wii U releases.

We'll see where Star Fox lands. I'm sure the next Direct will resolve a lot of what we're speculating on.

Hatchtag

Banned
My personal Wii U release dates list:
January:
February: Smash Bros DLC
April:
June:
July:
October: Star Fox Zero
November: Pikmin 4, Zelda U
December:

Even if it's tentative, Star Fox Zero will not release in July. It simply won't. They avoid that month like the plague for some reason. It'll be August at earliest if it gets delayed to Summer.

maxcriden

January:
April:
June:
July:
December:

Even if it's tentative, Star Fox Zero will not release in July. It simply won't. They avoid that month like the plague for some reason. It'll be August at earliest if it gets delayed to Summer.

Hmmm...You don't think NX will release this year?

Neoxon

January:
April:
June:
July:
December:

One problem with your list, the NX Platform.

killroy87

First off, European online retailer changing dates =/= confirmation of anything.

Second, if it is true, hopefully it's because they needed a full year to get rid of those damn gyroscopic controls.

Considering Nintendo announced a specific date, it's super weird. This is generally how like 90% of delays are announced anyway. There's always one retailer that jumps the gun.

It's about expectations. Not about being a Seer. You know that with PG, you get a lot of action, and over the top boss fights. You know that with Treasure, you get a fast paced and tight gameplay. You know that with Sakurai, you'll get a meaty gameplay, fast paced and filled with action too.

Expectations are a personal problem. They are the only things that can end up being wrong.

As long as they get it right, that's all I'm worried about. First half of 2016 is looking pretty good anyways so I'm in no rush to play it.

maxcriden

I do.

Nintendo's not going to care much because the Wii U audience is so small. If they do, they'll delay Zelda/Pikmin for Wii U to December and release the NX versions in November.

Oh, I see. I assumed Zelda would be cross-platform but I didn't think much about if Pikmin would be also. I suppose it could. Do you see NX getting other launch games then, too? Like a Retro and Mario game?

Top Bottom