• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero Delayed to Q1 2016

KingBroly

Banned
It's Nintendo's IP and their prototype. They developed all the control and mechanics, but basically didn't have the available personnel to complete a production team. Platinum Games (who I'm sure also outsourced to BeeTribe, HexaDrive and all those Japan art companies) became involved.

We've seen these collaborations fall apart before. Only time will tell if this one works, sort of works, or fails miserably.

I'm curious what you mean by 'fall apart.' Failed projects or Poor Results? Because I can definitely think of 1 that they were proud of that didn't meet their expectations.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't have high hopes for this game with all the delays, all the determination of making play on both screens simultaneously work.

At this point, I hope it just gets delayed and goes cross platform with NX and the NX version not having the two screen stuff.

Nerrel

So that's your prediction? 3 new games?
I'm not counting Zelda because that will be on Wii U.
Why wouldn't Zelda count as a launch title? Especially if it releases before the Wii U version? It's not like there's some rule stating that consumers will only be interested in games developed entirely on NX. And it's not as if the system would launch with just those 3 games only. There will always be some 3rd party stuff to fill out the library. But Pikmin, Zelda, Mario, and possibly even Retro's game would be incredibly strong pillars for a console launch. Wii U didn't have that; NSMBU suffered from series fatigue and the appeal of Nintendoland wasn't easily understood by a lot of people. Wii had Wii Sports and Twilight Princess, which were both great launch games but still way inferior to what NX might have. Not to mention Xbox One and PS4 launched with very little in terms of big, compelling games. It's not as if console launches are expected to have higher caliber games than this. I don't see know universe you're in where Nintendo launching with Mario and Zelda isn't a win.

Why wouldn't Zelda count as a launch title? Especially if it releases before the Wii U version? It's not like there's some rule stating that consumers will only be interested in games developed entirely on NX. And it's not as if the system would launch with just those 3 games only. There will always be some 3rd party stuff to fill out the library. But Pikmin, Zelda, Mario, and possibly even Retro's game would be incredibly strong pillars for a console launch. Wii U didn't have that; NSMBU suffered from series fatigue and the appeal of Nintendoland wasn't easily understood by a lot of people. Wii had Wii Sports and Twilight Princess, which were both great launch games but still way inferior to what NX might have. Not to mention Xbox One and PS4 launched with very little in terms of big, compelling games. It's not as if console launches are expected to have higher caliber games than this. I don't see know universe you're in where Nintendo launching with Mario and Zelda isn't a win.

You're delusional if all you think it takes is Mario and Zelda for a "win". This isn't 1991.
The competition is stronger and has been for awhile. A new Nintendo home console in this climate is dead.

AniHawk

I certainly hope hot. I'm not buying a NX, and neither will most people.

that goes without saying. most people don't buy video game systems.

i think that within the realm of the people who do buy video game systems, it'll certainly be more successful than wii u. i would look at 3ds instead of wii u for recent examples of nintendo reaching a mainstream video game system buying audience.

You're delusional if all you think it takes is Mario and Zelda for a "win". This isn't 1991.
The competition is stronger and has been for awhile. A new Nintendo home console in this climate is dead.

the competition in the dedicated space is weakening with everything else. it's just stronger in comparison to nintendo's home console efforts. sony can't compete on the handheld side of business, and microsoft is potentially trying to transition the xbox brand into a sort of smartphone kind of electronic (as far as how they approach hardware refreshes at least).

the strong competition comes from the non-dedicate space. steam and mobile are what's slowly taking over.

Are we talking about different games here? People lost their shit when Zelda U was unveiled, and have done so every time it's been shown since.

Which people are you talking about? Aside from the world 1) actually appearing to be open and 2) not looking totally like shit, there's basically nothing of substance for people to be "losing their shit" about at this point. And that's why I think the general tone even from people positive on the game is one of wanting to learn more, not one of "I'm utterly satisfied with what I've seen."

What negative feedback has there been for them to even consider?

Some samples from The Game Awards footage:

"Jermaine Prince1 year ago
Looks like a pretty empty and boring world... In times of a Witcher 3 where the world feels really alive, this is too outdated..."

adrian rios1 year ago
There is nothing to do. What's the point of exploring nothing?

Makoto Mikami1 year ago
So, it's like Wind Waker but with a horse instead of a boat, welp, it's official, I won't be getting the Wii U ever after all.

Kashaku31 year ago
The First trailer was way more impressive than this light gameplay demo of arrows on horseback and slow mo jumping. the game looks good i have to say, but I was waiting for a "holy fuck this is goddamn amazing" (other than just the view) moment like the original twilight princess trailer. if they wouldve teased a boss and a dungeon instead of some trees and some arrows it would've been better. but alas im sure they will have a moments like that at e3

reallybeenfar1 year ago
if it wasn't Zelda, this game wouldn't be getting any attention at all lol

Even Miyamoto said during The Game Awards video, "Are you sure this will be ready in 2015?"

I think all of that is a very apt summary of how most non-diehards probably have received this game so far.

They're not showing it because they've had numerous Zelda projects that they want to focus on.

As of last year's E3, this would have meant...Tri Force Heroes?

They did confirm that they had "great footage" to show at last year's e3, but chose not to show it because they delay meant it wasn't really necessary to hype the game up yet.

That's PR spin.

Here's what Aonuma actually said:

As I said in the video, we would like to take this time so we can bring you a very special experience, by making the ultimate Zelda game. Since we’d like to focus on developing the game we’ve decided to not show the game at this year’s E3.

They wouldn't need to take the extra time if the game was already turning out well within its original timetable. They "would like to take this time [the delay] so we can bring you a very special experience, by making the ultimate Zelda game."

So either

1) they previously weren't aiming to make the ultimate Zelda game, and now are (not good news for the game they were previously aiming to make)
or
2) they were previously aiming to make the ultimate Zelda game, and they need the extra development time to achieve that vision (which means that vision wasn't going to be achieved in the original timetable)

Which of these scenarios sounds like they were happy with the way the game was going?

They also may not be showing it because porting to NX may have changed things in a way that they're not ready to reveal yet.

Going by Twilight Princess, this is pretty much absolutely not the case.

The only reason they'd do this for any reason related to NX is if they decided not to bank on the Wii U version and focus on promoting the NX version instead.

And, above all else, not showing it has allowed people's imaginations to fill in the blanks and it's been very good for them. People are so hyped up for this game and we know fairly little about it- not even the title.

The more you let people's hype build without any actual information, the more easily disappointed they are.

This may've been mentioned already, but if that supposed NCL meeting is on Friday, I doubt a delay would be in the cards (not that one was explicitly mentioned, but still). There's no way this game isn't in the Direct.

Either way, we'll know tomorrow.

Hey, at least we got games after Adventures. The only game since 2006 that's released is an enhanced port of an N64 game.

True, but I was speaking more in quality.

Although, Zero being disappointing could be the one way it'd actually trump Adventures. Remember when Miyamoto said Nintendo wasn't satisfied with how other companies handled Star Fox? Adventures could be written off as a bizarre fluke, but with how efforts by the Ace Combat Team/Dylan Cuthbert didn't win over fans, I doubt anything could cement more pessimism than a Miyamoto/Platinum Games collaboration falling short. Things would come full circle.

They don't have to bring back all of the "terminated" character VA since SF643D. They could pretty much just hire anyone else like they did in Brawl. Also I mean seriously, are you saying that Orbital Gate was fine because the secret dialog not only is haphazard (requires you NOT to have Fox or Falco in it), but it only has I think one or two different dialog chain, and it ignores what happened in that stage itself in the original game. Like Green Mamba said, it is essentially the "Star Fox Zero-ing" of Assault as you don't see Krystal, Peppy is piloting, and don't see Star Wolf (which let me remind you, played a major role in the stage).

Now this is conspiracy crap spouting and I doubt it is true, but I think Miyamoto had a hand in how the Star Fox would be handled and this stage originally had actual Assault stuff but they said no and had them removed to feature the "classic" gang, causing a jarring tone of SF64 characters trying to talk over Assault's stage.

Actually, listen to them again. Peppy's not only piloting the Great Fox, but they directly mention the vaccine/program that destroys the Aparoids. That mission was easily Star Wolf's most minor role from the original game, so I don't think see the problem with them being absent. Also, Brawl's Assault music rips.

Krystal being gone is the only weird thing about it, really. If anything, given the development timeframe involved I'd chalk that up to SF643D. Any conspiracy theories regarding it are rather...?

(Ironically, while I enjoy playing on OBA, Lylat Cruise is still my favorite SF stage. I'd actually nominate Melee's Venom as being the inaccurate SF stage).

that goes without saying. most people don't buy video game systems.

i think that within the realm of the people who do buy video game systems, it'll certainly be more successful than wii u. i would look at 3ds instead of wii u for recent examples of nintendo reaching a mainstream video game system buying audience.

the competition in the dedicated space is weakening with everything else. it's just stronger in comparison to nintendo's home console efforts. sony can't compete on the handheld side of business, and microsoft is potentially trying to transition the xbox brand into a sort of smartphone kind of electronic (as far as how they approach hardware refreshes at least).

the strong competition comes from the non-dedicate space. steam and mobile are what's slowly taking over.

That's effecting Nintendo more than anyone. They are the ones who have been relying on dedicated handheld game sales. They have lost the living room. I see a future with at least one more successful PS console. Dedicated gaming handhelds are dead, not the home console. Mobile will remain the dominant force in the handheld market. Steam will remain dominant in PC. Neither of these have any effect on PS4 sales.

So should Nintendo just close its doors? They arent going 3rd party

They will be going 3rd party eventually.

Nerrel

Going by Twilight Princess, this is pretty much absolutely not the case.

The only reason they'd do this for any reason related to NX is if they decided not to bank on the Wii U version and focus on promoting the NX version instead.

The Wii and Gamecube did not have a drastic difference in hardware. There wasn't a whole lot of anything substantial they could have done to make TP look better. Most rumors and common sense guesses suggest NX will be near Xbox One, which is a generational leap over Wii U. The opportunities to enhance the game's visuals would be much greater, even if it's as simple as upping the resolution or framerate. TP isn't a reliable precedent here.

The rest of your argument involves your perception of the game, which has been different than mine. I haven't seen that much negativity. Almost everything I've heard involves either lavish praise for the art style and visuals or excitement over the open exploration. I've heard a few passing concerns that the overworld will be empty. I think you've chosen the most negative comments you could find and are passing them off as the average opinion. The harshest assessment of the fan reaction I could possibly come up with is that people are cautiously excited for the game.

Whatever you believe, there's no reason to believe Zelda U is in trouble. There's no proof the delay was made for development issues, nor is there any shred to suggest there are issues in the first place. Almost everyone is on the same page that the game is coming to NX and that's why it was delayed. Starfox Zero is different. It was received with overwhelming criticism, both in terms of its e3 reveal and its gameplay. Of those who previewed the game only a few actually seemed to like the controls, and the reaction to the visuals and general game concept was very mixed. It was very clear the game was having problems when the delay was announced. There have been corroborated rumors from previously reliable sources saying that the development is very troubled. This is not even remotely comparable to Zelda U's situation at all. There are unambiguous signs of Starfox's issues everywhere.

That's effecting Nintendo more than anyone. They are the ones who have been relying on dedicated handheld game sales. They have lost the living room. I see a future with at least one more successful PS console. Dedicated gaming handhelds are dead, not the home console. Mobile will remain the dominant force in the handheld market. Steam will remain dominant in PC. Neither of these have any effect on PS4 sales.

Both of those things are having an effect on ps4 sales both from the perspective of hardware and increasingly insular software. The console market is being squeezed from both sides. Kids growing up with free mobile games aren't all suddenly going to transition en masse, either, to the market where it's a hell of a lot more expensive. But what does that have to do with star fox? Lol

AniHawk

it will start to affect sony too. if nintendo, microsoft, and valve start moving in the direction of having hardware that's upgraded more frequently, they'll follow suit. they won't be the one company stuck in the past of one dedicated platform for five to six years while competition is constantly evolving around them.

and nintendo's not going third-party to those platforms. maybe pc and mobile, but not the dying dedicated hardware market.

KingBroly

Banned
One of the things Iwata talked about a couple of years ago was where they'd create an infrastructure where they could update hardware more frequently. Since Microsoft is also now talking about that route, it's pretty clear that Nintendo might be jump-starting that trend.

Nerrel

What exactly are you expecting from Nintendo? It's hard for a company to provide one great piece of software to drive a launch, let alone three or more. There are always numerous first and third party titles to launch with, but in the long run it comes down to one or two important ones to inspire people to buy a system. Usually, Nintendo is lucky enough to have one big Mario or Zelda game at launch. Look at the previous launches and what the significant titles were. Nintendo has never had the opportunity to launch with a new 3D Mario, Zelda, and Pikmin all at once. I don't know why you're trying so hard to twist it into something otherwise, but that would be a very strong start to a new console.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Still stoked for this game. I don't care what anybody says.

same here, and still wishing for a 4vs1 King Kong like mode!

105505580_king_kong_286899c.jpg

Shiggy

Tamaki is backpedalling so hard on twitter right now.

Can we not bother making threads for anything he says from now on?

At the same time, he was right about Paper Mario U and the Amiibo Mario vs DK game. So could well be true that Western branches did not want to release the game in its current state. Looking at what they showed today, that's not even implausible, with Star Fox Guard looking to be most fun of the package.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
At the same time, he was right about Paper Mario U and the Amiibo Mario vs DK game. So could well be true that Western branches did not want to release the game in its current state. Looking at what they showed today, that's not even implausible, with Star Fox Guard looking to be most fun of the package.

Please. ..

ramparter

Banned
Yeap, to be fair, I think the guy knows his stuff. But he was too dramatic. Really hope the game is welcomed at least by its hardcore fans.

Soul Lab

It's not a backpedal. He always said it was being discussed with NCL wanting to release it and the others having issues with it. A decision clearly was made and it's being released. He never said it was going to be delayed but that it was being discussed.

well this is probably the safest thing to say. He is right in every scenario lol

Doctre81

It's not a backpedal. He always said it was being discussed with NCL wanting to release it and the others having issues with it. A decision clearly was made and it's being released. He never said it was going to be delayed but that it was being discussed.

He said it was gonna be discussed tommorrow. LOL

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
He's a a legitimate source. He's not always going to get accurate information 100% of the time though, so it would not be wise to take everything he says as gospel. But I also wouldn't simply discount everything he posts as nonsense.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my takeaway is that he can have good infos, he can have sketchy infos (at least, he specified back then that Shovel Knight's source was different than usual), but, especially lately, he seems to paint the correct infos he get...negatively? It's the impression I've been getting for a while.

KingBroly

Banned

He said they were discussing it "right now" after he learned the Direct was happening. That's a backpedal. A very, very hard one to cover his ass. Period.

duckroll

He's a a legitimate source. He's not always going to get accurate information 100% of the time though, so it would not be wise to take everything he says as gospel. But I also wouldn't simply discount everything he posts as nonsense.

No, he's an attention monger who might or might not have legitimate sources. He himself is clearly not a legitimate source. The internet is a big place and lots of people know lots of people. The difference is that some people like to be louder than others in proclaiming that they know shit, to get attention. :p

No, he's an attention monger who might or might not have legitimate sources. He himself is clearly not a legitimate source. The internet is a big place and lots of people know lots of people. The difference is that some people like to be louder than others in proclaiming that they know shit, to get attention. :p

Yeah, this is a much better way of putting it.

I guess my point is that he does seem to get accurate info sometimes, so I wouldn't write off everything he says immediately. It's certainly wise to be skeptical though and he definitely makes himself look bad a lot of the time. He seems to have a hard time dealing with criticism.

Tripon

Fuck that. Nobody earns a break getting 50% of shit right. He's a supposed journalist peddling in rumors. The fact that he can't seem to sift through the credible ones from the BS shows that his judgement can't be trusted.

Yeah, this is a much better way of putting it.

I guess my point is that he does seem to get accurate info sometimes, so I wouldn't write off everything he says immediately. It's certainly wise to be skeptical though and he definitely makes himself look bad a lot of the time. He seems to have a hard time dealing with criticism.

He also seems to "piggyback" on a lot of rumors from other legit folks. "Oh hey I knew about that too but couldn't say anything lol!" Shovel Knight ain't in Smash Bros. folks. He's a con artist and it's embarrassing that people are paying to read his bs rumors on his patreon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have been onboard for this since first reveal. Why you guys have no faith in a Miyamoto Starfox game?

Miyamoto is the one responsible for Adventures and injecting most of the problems into the series.

Still, I don't really understand the complaints. It's not the best looking game, but it looks like Star Fox. Should be fun.

Arttemis

My only three criticisms with what I've seen of the game are the underwhelming graphics, boring looking hoverbot sections, and the insistence on the gamepad. The graphics have been improving slightly, but to be honest, I would play this if it truly were an upressed N64 sequel. I have nothing positive to say about the hover sections. The gamepad control has been confirmed to be built intrinsically into the game for singleplayer with portions of the game design necessitating separate movement and aiming controls.

The game's quality totally hinges on the quality of those controls and how well they're implemented. I truly hope it works out well, because I want another N64-esque Star Fox.

Top Bottom