• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 3 is amazing

SantaC

I am playing SO3 for the first time, and it feels like a big mistake to have missed this gem of a game from 2003. This is Tri-Ace in their prime and it is sad how average the modern Star Ocean games are. SO3 blows Star Ocean 6 out of the water except for graphics of course.

Star Ocean 3 actually feels like real Sci-fi Space trekking and it actual has some very lengthy dungeons. Not only that, but the dungeons has puzzles, something that has been missing a long time for current jrpgs.

I am 10 hours into it and enjoying every second of it. I can recommend anyone playing this who passed on it back in the day. My First Star Ocean game was 4 lol.

blackjon24

I am playing SO3 for the first time, and it feels like a big mistake to have missed this gem of a game from 2003. This is Tri-Ace in their prime and it is sad how average the modern Star Ocean games are. SO3 blows Star Ocean 6 out of the water except for graphics of course.

Star Ocean 3 actually feels like real Sci-fi Space trekking and it actual has some very lengthy dungeons. Not only that, but the dungeons has puzzles, something that has been missing a long time for current jrpgs.

I am 10 hours into it and enjoying every second of it. I can recommend anyone playing this who passed on it back in the day. My First Star Ocean game was 4 lol.
Surprised you liked it right away, it does the thing where it puts you in a medieval looking planet pretty early on so I really wasn't into it at first. I really started liking it later in the game when the scifi really kicks in. The battle system in the game is great. A memorable moment in the game for me was when I couldn't kill a boss since it had veru high HP and instead focused on taking down his MP. It is a very cool concept that having 0 MP can kill you and the enemies as well.

Just a warning the game the game gets really controversial later on!

My rankings for the ones I've played

2>3>1>4

Overral i think the series is alright, I don't really have motivation to play 5 and 6 since 4 got really grating at times.

SantaC

Surprised you liked it right away, it does the thing where it puts you in a medieval looking planet pretty early on so I really wasn't into it at first. I really started liking it later in the game when the scifi really kicks in. The battle system in the game is great. A memorable moment in the game for me was when I couldn't kill a boss since it had veru high HP and instead focused on taking down his MP. It is a very cool concept that having 0 MP can kill you and the enemies as well.

Just a warning the game the game gets really controversial later on!

My rankings for the ones I've played

2>3>1>4

Overral i think the series is alright, I don't really have motivation to play 5 and 6 since 4 got really grating at times.
one more criticism of SO6, it had no challenge whatsoever. In SO3 you cant save everywhere, so it gets tense when you get far in a dungeon.

I really like the story and lore of the game, along with the characters, and some of the gameplay mechanics. Unfortunately, I think the battle system in practice feels very jank so that holds me back from loving it. That + some very annoying dungeon designs and sparse save points + horrible backtracking.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Best waifu

sample-c30ee454e5d2464313e14841606c9dc4.jpg

Pallas

It’s not a bad game but I’ve always felt like the developers and writers…
felt like this might have been the last game in the series and made it difficult to make a game that took place after it timeline wise. Because if I’m not mistake 4,5 and 6 take place before it. Also a pretty cool Easter egg in game, if you read the text carefully by a certain character in the game, you’ll catch that another game series is also directly tied into the Star Ocean universe, made by the same developers.

Elios83

Sorry op but I played it when it came out on the PS2, I was in my early 20s back then and I thought the writing was atrocious. The story failed to be delivered with any impact even during key moments and I didn't like they
basically copied Matrix with the whole people being programs
As positives the combat system was fun and graphically Triace was able to make the textures look much higher res than they were so it looked great as a PS2 game.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Sorry op but I played it when it came out on the PS2, I was in my early 20s back then and I thought the writing was atrocious. The story failed to be delivered with any impact even during key moments and I didn't like they
basically copied Matrix with the whole people being programs
As positives the combat system was fun and graphically Triace was able to make the textures look much higher res than they were so it looked great as a PS2 game.
With that said, what did you think of the waifus?

Go_Ly_Dow

The plot is great.

20 years later and people still talking about this games story says everything.

Last edited:

demonstr8

2 and 3 were really good. IIRC 3 was huge and challenging and had so much content and people only really disliked the ending. 6 was a step in the right direction though, almost done with it and think it’s good so far.

Neil

I don't think SO3 has aged terribly well, it's quite prone to crashing and the voice acting is pretty bad.
However it does have a lot of replay value; I love the plot twist and the post-game content provides a decent challenge.

Pallas

Only thing that really bugs me about this game, other than MP death is Sophia’s bug eyes. I didn’t realize until recently how big they are.

YdQdiKd.jpg

They actually fixed it in the gacha Star Ocean game that’s unfortunately only in Japan now after the global version died.

6EvuCfi.jpg

Last edited:

SantaC

An update after 80 hours.

Wow there are so much content compared to the recent games.

SO3 really puts SO6 to shame. My isnt Tri Ace putting the same amount of effort these days?

Shameful that a 20 year old game has better ideas and content than the newest game.

An update after 80 hours.

Wow there are so much content compared to the recent games.

SO3 really puts SO6 to shame. My isnt Tri Ace putting the same amount of effort these days?

Shameful that a 20 year old game has better ideas and content than the newest game.
I mean the content in SO3 was tedious as f if we’re being honest

Brigandier

I remember SO2 being an excellent game, I spent countless hours on it.

But for some reason I never bothered with SO3, I recently played SO4 and played about 20 hours I got upto a part where loads of rusted soldiers ambush and I just couldn't take any more it was a god awful game that felt so empty.

5 and 6 look abysmal... It's definitely not a game series that SE give a shit about as it's clearly low budget.

I'd consider playing 3 if a remaster ever released.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
First Departure, 2nd Evolution, and Till the End of Time are pretty solid. I'm partial to the first 2. First game is a tight little adventure. Not too long.

I remember SO2 being an excellent game, I spent countless hours on it.

But for some reason I never bothered with SO3, I recently played SO4 and played about 20 hours I got upto a part where loads of rusted soldiers ambush and I just couldn't take any more it was a god awful game that felt so empty.

5 and 6 look abysmal... It's definitely not a game series that SE give a shit about as it's clearly low budget.

I'd consider playing 3 if a remaster ever released.

5 looks (and is) abysmal. 6 looks like a game that had a tight budget but they squeezed all they could out of it. It seems properly ambitious and I was pleasantly surprised by the demo.

3 has been remastered for years now.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I played alot of this back in 2010 or so but I don't remember much of it.

Star Ocean is one of those JRPG series that I really want to love but they never really engage me like I wish they would.

Glad you're loving it OP.

Top Bottom