• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 4 remaster launches in NA/EU Nov 28 (same as JP), $20.99

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've never played a Star Ocean game. Where does this one rank in the series?

It's not the best but it sure is hella fun, probably the most fun Star Ocean game for me.

Dantero

If this is playable at 1440p/144fps I might just get this.
Assuming I can convince myself that suffering through Edge Maverick is worth it a second time.

Dragner

This game played good but had godawful cast and the dub was one of the worst I remember. Not thrilled of playing this again...

Eylos

Banned
Kay, i played only 1 and 2 i think they are great, If I have to choose between 3,4 and 5 which one is better?

khaaan

I think it's a bad idea starting with this
Try 1 and 2 instead

Aren't they on the more difficult side to come across though? Unless you can read Japanese your options of getting them seem to be limited. I managed to find a copy of First Departure a few years ago but Star Ocean 2 seems to be all over the place in price.

wol93

Banned
Aren't they on the more difficult side to come across though? Unless you can read Japanese your options of getting them seem to be limited. I managed to find a copy of First Departure a few years ago but Star Ocean 2 seems to be all over the place in price.

Aren't they available on psn store ?

blackjon24

Heres is the definitive list in order of best to worst in the series

Star ocean 2
Star ocean 3
Star ocean 1
Star ocean last hope
Integrity and faithlessness

On a side note did people really ask for these ports over tri aces much better series Valkyrie profile? really?

Banned
I gave up on SO4 within three hours and SO5 within 10 I think? I guess this series isn't for me. A shame, since that battle system and settings are cool. The battles did get repetitive though.

Lutherian

I'd suggest you start with Star Ocean: The Second Story. The PSP version fixes a lots of things, changed the voice actors casting and added tons of voiced dialogues. It did some weird changes too, like removing "Earthquake" magic from the last boss to another one witch is still as deadly as "Earthquake".

Finally, the PSP version doesn't come with the awesome "We form in crystals" theme that runs during the final CG cinematic when the credits roll, and used a very, very bad J-Pop song instead. Bleah !

At least, you can still hear the original music in the Sound test once you complete the game.

For me, SO 2 is the best in the series, way better than 3, 4 and even 1 with the atrocious cave dungeon (do you remember the Moria ruins in Tales of Phantasia ? It's worse).

It ranks poorly, like every game after SO2.

It's not the best but it sure is hella fun, probably the most fun Star Ocean game for me.

I think it's a bad idea starting with this
Try 1 and 2 instead

Heres is the definitive list in order of best to worst in the series

Star ocean 2
Star ocean 3
Star ocean 1
Star ocean last hope
Integrity and faithlessness

On a side note did people really ask for these ports over tri aces much better series Valkyrie profile? really?

I'd suggest you start with Star Ocean: The Second Story. The PSP version fixes a lots of things, changed the voice actors casting and added tons of voiced dialogues. It did some weird changes too, like removing "Earthquake" magic from the last boss to another one witch is still as deadly as "Earthquake".

Finally, the PSP version doesn't come with the awesome "We form in crystals" theme that runs during the final CG cinematic when the credits roll, and used a very, very bad J-Pop song instead. Bleah !

At least, you can still hear the original music in the Sound test once you complete the game.

For me, SO 2 is the best in the series, way better than 3, 4 and even 1 with the atrocious cave dungeon (do you remember the Moria ruins in Tales of Phantasia ? It's worse).
Thank you all for your answers!

OH YEAH.

It's going to be my 5th playthrough (galaxy, universe, chaos on 360, galaxy on ps3).

It's a shame they are basing this off the PS3 version though. The 360 version was the better one imo (skills balance, items placement, graphics, etc).

The only thing I enjoyed more from the PS3 version was the anime portraits, but then you had the ugly menus so I kept using the original theme anyway.

Tizoc

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/609150/STAR_OCEAN__THE_LAST_HOPE__4K__Full_HD_Remaster/

Launch discooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
cTSxGt.gif

BasilZero

I still haven't payed the PS3 ver

Which is now super low priority for me to play in my backlog now lol

I will get the pc ver in the future

Aeana

If you ask people why they think SO4 is bad, they'll usually say something like "the English VA" or "the characters (Lymle)." The International version has Japanese VA, so that should help a fair bit.

The game itself is quite good. Really fun combat, item creation is decent (better than SO3's at least, fight me), and the variety of locations is unparalleled in the series. It's the only Star Ocean game where you actually go planet hopping, which is pretty cool.

I can't see a price on the Steam page or mobile app.

How much is it?

Look in the thread title.

lordmrw

For some weird ass reason I still have this on 360 even though i don't own the system anymore. Maybe I'll double dip on the PC version seeing as I never got around to it.

If you ask people why they think SO4 is bad, they'll usually say something like "the English VA" or "the characters (Lymle)." The International version has Japanese VA, so that should help a fair bit.

The game itself is quite good. Really fun combat, item creation is decent (better than SO3's at least, fight me), and the variety of locations is unparalleled in the series. It's the only Star Ocean game where you actually go planet hopping, which is pretty cool.

Truer words have never been spoken.

My only gripe, was that I arrived the final dungeon and the final boss, and I was obliterated so hard... that I realized I was very underleveled, and since you can't go back to grind, I felt it was a huge design flaw.

I haven't got all that much good to say about SO4 outside of combat and some character and location design, but it's good to see steps are still being taken to bring this out for any fan who enjoyed it. Weirdly it's been an active couple of years for Star Ocean fans, between this & 3s release, as well as 5.

I bought 4 and did enjoy the systems but honestly felt the world design was bland and that story was all kinds of bad. Seraphic Gate though, that's where Tri Ace games shine to me. I'd only played 4 and Infinite Undiscovery so I was kinda used to the main story being subpar but the post game a bit better.

SO5 though. I figured you planet hopped in all of them so that was instantly disappointing. But there's like nothing redeemable in that game. It makes SO4 look significantly more appealling in hindsight. I tried it again a few nights ago. I can't force myself past a certain shitty boss fight

Jolkien

I'll revisit it (I don't quite get the amount of vitriol this game gets) and it'd be nice if we would get Star Ocean 2 as well like japan. As fas as I'm concerned Star Ocean 5 is the terrible one.

SO4 isn't as bad as people say it is. But is anyone defending SO5? I was so hyped for it... only to be disappointed.

Ricker

Not going to buy it again but I had fun with it,bad voice acting for a few characters aside(they where not all bad)...

20 bucks is a good price also,kay.

Top Bottom