• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 4 remaster launches in NA/EU Nov 28 (same as JP), $20.99

Shifty1897

Is there any interview where tri-ace explains WHY they haven't ported VP2 yet? That game look AMAZING on the ps2

VP2 looked amazing because I'm pretty sure it had a crazy amount of PS2 specific customization. Years later, it's one of the few games that doesn't run well on emulators because of this. Porting to PS4 or PC would probably require a lot of work.

I seriously love VP2 and would spend $200 on a Steam copy.

Pennywise

If you ask people why they think SO4 is bad, they'll usually say something like "the English VA" or "the characters (Lymle)." The International version has Japanese VA, so that should help a fair bit.

The game itself is quite good. Really fun combat, item creation is decent (better than SO3's at least, fight me), and the variety of locations is unparalleled in the series. It's the only Star Ocean game where you actually go planet hopping, which is pretty cool.

Look in the thread title.
The story, characters (doesn't help that everyone of the cast is a stereotype) and it often reminds you of some bad fanics.

The gameplay is really good at times and the battle system is still among my favorites.

It could have been a great game with a more serious tone and different characters.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not sure about this. I love SO1 PSP, SO2 and SO3 but 4....kind of killed my love of the franchise. I mean good gameplay is one thing, but when the characters are incredibly bad and the story sucks too...kind of hard to get into it. I'll see when it releases. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

MechaX

I wanna play this so I can experience hyper cringe first hand.

You think Nappy Time is the worst that it can get?

Just wait until you see a 8-year old looking cat girl in fetish gear, a 23 year old woman who constantly acts like a 65 year old cougar, a woman with bird wings who... is not all together up there, and Faize.

antitrop

You think Nappy Time is the worst that it can get?

Just wait until you see a 8-year old looking cat girl in fetish gear, a 23 year old woman who constantly acts like a 65 year old cougar, a woman with bird wings who... is not all together up there, and Faize.

Yeah, Sarah annoyed me much more than Lymle did, but the two of them together in the same cast is just like more than any one person should be forced to endure.

I think Sarah annoyed me more because I had already read about how annoying Lymle would be before I started the game, but nobody warned me about Sarah.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed the combat of SO4 but i personally hate everything else about it, especially character models.
936046-946860_20090304_001.jpg

Their face looks like realistic dolls with no proper expression. I actually i dont whats up with tri-Ace's art direction these days. Even with Star Ocean 5 they went with much more anime art style but with realistic textures and lighting which made them look more like anime figures instead.

MechaX

Yeah, Sarah annoyed me much more than Lymle did, but the two of them together in the same cast is just like more than any one person should be forced to endure.

And I think that is the biggest issue with the story; a lot of the Lymle stuff is absolutely terrible, but if you're just watching a bad scene on YouTube, it's one and done. Sadly no one ever makes it to Sarah scenes like Fly High (which is probably worse than Nappy Time esque Lymle scenes)

But it just starts compounding things; Faize is annoying, Lymle is bad enough, but then Sarah gets into the mix, Anime Buzz Lightyear's deadpan humor almost always misses the mark, and Myuria spends every waking moment teasing Edge for being a little boy despite how a) he's a goddamn adult, and b) she is like three years older than him. The story and characters just start being oppressively and aggressively stupid the more you play.

They later introduce the most "ow the edge of the darkness cuts the soul like my (laser) scythe's blade" character ever, but I ended up liking him (and Reimi) because he was mostly completely inoffensive and a goddamn beast in battle (and the international edition plants the "no fun allowed" sign by making it way, way harder to get one of his most broken attacks).

Xenus

>digital only
fucking dropped

What about this release ever made you think it would come out on disc. It's a remaster of a JRPG which is pretty universally considered one of the worst in the series besides the graphics and battle system that sold okish it begin with.

Xenus

My only complaint was those annoying backtracking attempting to extend the life of the game, or at least that is what it felt for me.
I did finish it 3 times for the platinum. (proof)

I actually backtracked to nearly every town between each story advancement because the PAs (Private actions) were so good. I still somehow feel like i missed a ton of them though as I remember seeing a few with like Part 1 and didn't really see the others.

Linkark07

Banned
For $21 I might... bite... I guess.

What can I say? Despite the shitty story, characters and models, I liked the gameplay and the music.

What about this release ever made you think it would come out on disc. It's a remaster of a JRPG which is pretty universally considered one of the worst in the series besides the graphics and battle system that sold okish it begin with.

Still not buying it.

Luminaire

I can't understand why is S-E remastering this game and not other games like Valkirie Profile 2 Silmeria.

Tri-ace games are incredibly weird. They even have their own checkbox/fixes in the stock emulator PCSX2 (and I think PSXe?).

To this day, you cannot emulate VP2 on a PC very well without some very special hacks and fixes that require you to turn off other features of the emulator. I believe even VP1 (and by extension, VPL) have some strange coding or wizardry or whatever that makes them difficult to emulate. There are ways around it, but it's not easy. I believe their are versions of the emulators released with special fixes. Long story short, it'd likely take a LOT of work (just on an emulation front, so I imagine brute force is out of the picture) for a potentially small audience. Actually porting/remastering the game is a different story, but I can't imagine it's easy or worth their time and money. As much of a champion as I am for the VP games, I wouldn't consider them massive hits with a huge potential audience.

This is also why I have a spare 60GB BC Launch PS3 handy and a PS2.

Perhaps SO4 is them testing the waters, though...

Blyr

Banned
I only played SO 1&2 on PSP, and then SO5 recently on PS4, so I'm excited to give this a chance.

The cringey bad story writing and characters won't be too much of a detriment as long as the combat and gameplay is solid, heck some of the memes I've seen around SO4 are "so bad it's good" in a way that I could laugh at it, instead of just mashing the button to skip to the next scene

Also this coming to PC is a day 1 sale for me, I need to expand my JRPG library into infinity

i-Jest

As a Vita and PS4 owner, I'd be really happy if they gave us the Star Ocean: Second Evolution port. Maybe someday we'll get both versions since Japan did.

THAT is what I want personally.

Lime

Tri-ace games are incredibly weird. They even have their own checkbox/fixes in the stock emulator PCSX2 (and I think PSXe?).

To this day, you cannot emulate VP2 on a PC very well without some very special hacks and fixes that require you to turn off other features of the emulator. I believe even VP1 (and by extension, VPL) have some strange coding or wizardry or whatever that makes them difficult to emulate. There are ways around it, but it's not easy. I believe their are versions of the emulators released with special fixes. Long story short, it'd likely take a LOT of work (just on an emulation front, so I imagine brute force is out of the picture) for a potentially small audience. Actually porting/remastering the game is a different story, but I can't imagine it's easy or worth their time and money. As much of a champion as I am for the VP games, I wouldn't consider them massive hits with a huge potential audience.

This is also why I have a spare 60GB BC Launch PS3 handy and a PS2.

Perhaps SO4 is them testing the waters, though...

This is factually untrue. Except for the very first area of VP2 (which can be emulated fine if you just go for native resolution for the 30 seconds it takes to traverse the 2D level), the entirety of VP2 runs perfectly fine on PCSX2.

Mifec

They probably paid more for Denuvo then they're gonna make on the PC in the first 6 months and it's gonna get cracked in 24h. Sad tbh.

Mifec

Seems pretty weird to implement Denuvo on a budget game.
They put it in Before the Storm too which is a unity game where Denuvo doesn't even protect the exe but a separate file that's much easier to crack. Pretty sure that past Hitman they just put it on every property they have.
It's a publisher thing i guess?
S-E just put Denuvo on every title they have yeah.

jrcbandit

Any hope for Japanese dub? I might check it out on PC despite the characters looking and sounding like complete crap, as the combat is supposed to be good (unlike the rest of the game lol).

Mifec

Any hope for Japanese dub? I might check it out on PC despite the characters looking and sounding like complete crap, as the combat is supposed to be good (unlike the rest of the game lol).

The International version this is based on had dual audio.

UltraBosh64

Neo Member
I just played this last year [and despite most others' thoughts] I LOVED this game! So I'll be buying to play it again and support the brand! :)

It's seriously disheartening though that Square can bother to physically publish a motocross game, but not this or SoM remake....

Top Bottom