• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 character gets less-sexy underwear 'in Fear of Western Criticism'

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
e3: To be more clear, the character is getting this edit in the original Japanese release as well.

Original 4gamer interview
http://www.4gamer.net/games/298/G029832/20160322001/

小林氏:あと,海外からミキについて「ティーンがセクシャルな下着を着けているのは良くない」という指摘があって,布の面積を増やしたりもしました 。

ItgASgN.jpg
mUB5Ol7.jpg

http://nichegamer.com/2016/03/28/sq...-bigger-panties-in-fear-of-western-criticism/

In the interview, Star Ocean 5 character designer Akira Yasuda, director Hiroshi Ogawa, and producer Shuichi Kobayashi revealed that not only is the studio aware of western criticism of revealing female character designs, they’ve made changes to the game because of that very same western criticism.

“Recently there’s been a trend in games where if you put out a character that shows a lot of skin, later on you might have to make a lot of revisions, ‘although she’s erotic, there’s not a lot of skin showing’ is the feeling you get,” said Yasuda.

“In fact, it got a rating of C by CERO (Editor’s Note: Cero C is ages 15 or older),” Yasuda continued. He explained why the game’s spellcaster, Fiore, is wearing such a revealing outfit. “Fiore uses a lot of displayed crests on her skin to cast curses. That was part of her setting."

Finally, the developer confirmed they’ve slightly censored the game, in the form of Miki’s panties. You can view a comparison above, with the first image before the change, and the second image after the change.

“Recently, there’s been a lot of flak from overseas countries saying that if you put teens in ‘sexual’ underwear it’s not good,” said Kobayashi. “So we increased the amount of clothing.”

“How distressing (laughs),” Ogawa said in a follow up.

Arnita Sarcasimo and the Social Studies Warriors have done it again smfh.

e:
Japanese reactions
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8542569.html

Bonus
6D9UHsm.jpg

It's actually somewhat refreshing to see feedback from overseas reach such a niche title, even though not many would likely have that camera angle anyway. I doubt Fiore changed though.

Yasuda continued. He explained why the game’s spellcaster, Fiore, is wearing such a revealing outfit. “Fiore uses a lot of displayed crests on her skin to cast curses. That was part of her setting."

Her spells breathes through her skin, guys.

Soriku

"gaijin are impossible" is making me laugh too hard.

I can't even see panties in the first comparison pic. Or anything except for a blur.

Golnei

Wait, this is in both the domestic and international version? That's absurd - do what you have to in order to allay the criticism of western reactionaries, but don't take a hatchet to the original game as well. This could set some really troubling precedents.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
"All foreigners play are games where you slaughter people indifferently. So they got a lot of nerve to speak up about small things like this in other countries' games"

Well can't argue with that.

rhandino

Banned
Nintendo is out of control!!1!! I can not believe they are censoring games that are not even coming to their plataforms!

Sadly expected. Oh well, still ain't a big deal.

Also that picture was worth it MY SIDES

inclined to agree

I'd say inb4 censorship mockers but they're already here as expected

It's a real crime. Now the character these fine gentlemen want to leer at will be showing slightly less skin, vastly reducing the value of the overall game. We should ask them what they think about women/female characters and what their importance lies beyond something they can objectify.

I always found the outrage over this to be hypocritical. I mean just look at wonder woman in the recent Batman vs Superman movie.

Wonder Woman is an established design that people are familiar with, they're not too likely to turn on it like newer designs. It's not exactly the best example I would use.

"All foreigners play are games where you slaughter people indifferently. So they got a lot of nerve to speak up about small things like this in other countries' games"

Got us dead to rights there

Abriael

Banned
EDIT: Also LOL at the japanese reactions. Considering they DO censor the shit out of violent western games, they should shut the fuck up.

I don't remember Japanese publishers demanding the original games to be censored worldwide to comply with Japanese regulations (and we're talking about actual regulations here, not just fear of backlash).

The comparison doesn't exactly fit.

Tyrus

Banned
I know I'm not too fond of many weird censorship changes in gaming (more concerned about stupid text-based localisation changes like entire convos missing in FE: Fates) but this one isn't something to get angered by. If it does anger you, get help or go on Google images and just search up what you want there.

Ferr986

I don't remember Japanese publishers demanding the original games to be censored to comply with Japanese regulation.

The comparison doesn't exactly fit.

Sorry, I did miss that this change also effects the japanese version.

Still... it's just an underwear change. It's not like they censored the titty witch.

EDIT: Also LOL at the japanese reactions. Considering they DO censor the shit out of violent western games, they should shut the fuck up.

They're pissed because the change applies to their version as well. Those changes to violent games only impact the Japanese releases.

It doesn't say gaijin are impossible, it says "I don't understand the values of westerners" or "the values of westerners are impossible to understand."

外人の価値観はマジで理解不能

We can probably infer that they disagree with the notion that "you shouldn't sexualize teenagers."

Lol! Gaikoku is so puritanical. These Japanese people really know where it's at!

This will be ignored for the remainder of the thread.

DSix

Banned

Dead on.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Game is gonna get eviscerated in Amazon JP reviews, you don't fuck with otakus in Japan.

Top Bottom