• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean V might be coming to PC

Looks like Star Ocean V might be coming to PC
Old French interview from 1 month ago done by FFWorld and FFDream, this part in particular is interesting, which seems to be more of a "will" than a "if":

FFD : Avez-vous prévu un portage de Star Ocean 5 sur PC ?

S.K. : Comme c'est un jeu riche en action, je me demande quelles seraient les commandes idéales sur PC... À votre avis, quelle serait la meilleure méthode pour y jouer ?
FFW : Avec une manette ?
S.K. : Mais en Europe, les gens ont-ils pour habitude de jouer sur PC avec une manette ?
Ensemble : Oui.
S.K. : Je vois. C'est sûr que si vous avez une manette, vous pouvez y jouer sans problème, mais je me demande comment faire pour ceux qui n'en ont pas. C'est notre principal sujet d'inquiétude et c'est la raison pour laquelle nous avons repoussé à plus tard la sortie d'une version PC, afin de réfléchir aux contrôles pour les joueurs qui n'ont pas de manette. Le moteur ASKA, qu'a utilisé tri-Ace pour concevoir Star Ocean 5, permet de porter très facilement le jeu sur PC, alors si nous arrivons à trouver une solution au problème des contrôles sur PC, le portage devrait être assez facile pour nous, même si je ne peux pas vous promettre que ce sera rapide.

Which would translate to

FFD : Do you plan to make a PC port of Star Ocean 5 ?

S.K. : Because it's a fast paced action title, I'm wondering what would be the best way to play it on PC... According to you, what would be the best way to play it ?
FFW : With a controller ?
S.K. : But in Europe, are people used to play on PC with a controller ?
Together : Yes.
S.K. : I see. Of course, if you have a controller, you can play it without any trouble, but I wonder how to do for those who don't have one. That's our main worry and that's the reason why we delayed for later the release of a PC version, to think of a control scheme for players without a controller. ASKA engine, which is used by Tri-Ace to developp Star Ocean 5, allows for fairly easy PC ports, so if we find out a way to solve the control scheme issue, the port would be pretty easy for us, although I can't promise that it would be fast.

Despera

Banned
From what I understand you are supposed to avoid the 4th one like the plague.
It has shit characters, story and a not so interesting world to explore or music to listen to. But the battle system is solid and the only reason I kept on playing.

Ploid 3.0

Nice, good job SE.

Everything SE comes to PC, just ~6 months later.

I should consider holding off on The World of Final Fnatasy.

I should try getting as many games on PC as I can, I won't have to worry about Backwards Compatibility, the graphics will look awesome, and possible mods.

Skilletor

You can play with a controller on PC?

It's always amusing to see how ignorant JP devs are of the PC market.

Amusing and sad.

salromano

Makes sense. Notable lack of "Only on PlayStation" on the box art:

KvwDQLn.jpg

I'll even take 4. Gimme dat SO on PC.

Just skip all the story scenes and you'll be good.

OmegaDL50

Oh, cool. How are the Star Ocean games?

Sister series to the Tales franchise. Basically before tri-Ace became who they were. They were part of Telenet, which at the time developed the orginal Tales of Phantasia for the SNES for Namco, which shortly afterwards a group of Telenet employees formed their own Studio which is tri-Ace.

There are some notable differences between Star Ocean and Tales however despite both series the same origins from similar staff.

Tales is generally more medieval / high fantasy, and Star Ocean has a more Sci-Fi approach. Both have action based combat systems that let you swap to any of your team members on the fly, both have music mainly composed by Motoi Sakuraba. Both have the usual anime tropes.

Tales earliest games the combat played on a 2D plane similar to a 2D Fighting game which was called the Linear Motion Battle system. This system exists in Phantasia, Destiny, and Eternia.

More recent Tales games have a full open battle field however movement for characters is mainly linear when locked on a specific target.

Star Ocean however since the very first game had an open battle field like the recent games without the linear locking and the character the player controls could move in any direction they want without needing to hold down a button (like in recent Tales titles)

Basically if you enjoy the Tales series, then you'll probably like Star Ocean.

Orayn

Don't know much about 1.

2 is a classic of the 32 bit JRPG era that everyone should play.

3 is a bit more divisive but has its fans.

Many consider 4 a train wreck.

I'm hearing 5 is also divisive. Some say it's a disappointment, but I've also heard it praised as being a refreshing game that doesn't overstay its welcome.

OmegaDL50

Don't know much about 1.

2 is a classic of the 32 bit JRPG era that everyone should play.

3 is a bit more divisive but has its fans.

Many consider 4 a train wreck.

I'm hearing 5 is also divisive. Some say it's a disappointment, but I've also heard it praised as being a refreshing game that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Star Ocean 5 is a lot like the first game in terms of design sensibilities, However as you say, does not over stay it's welcome.

In terms of ambition Star Ocean 5 doesn't try to outdo any of the previous games in the series, but rather stays relatively low key. Almost like the SNES era Star Ocean 1 but with some more modern conventions thrown in for good measure.

Aeana probably could provide a better description than I can.

Zafir

That's cool, I'm glad more and more Japanese games are coming to PC.
It has shit characters, story and a not so interesting world to explore or music to listen to. But the battle system is solid and the only reason I kept on playing.
Yep ditto.

Llyranor

If you ever wondered how to make the worst possible ensemble cast for a JRPG and the dumbest protagonist that everyone somehow worships, or if you ever wondered what Tri-Ace devs' sexual fetishes are (in the form of the female party members), then Star Ocean 4 may be for you.

Top Bottom