• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek 4 to continue with Chris Pine's rebooted Kirk & co.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

It's been six years since the last Star Trek movie, but the wait for the next one is coming to an end. J.J. Abrams, director of 2009's Star Trek and 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness, announced plans on Tuesday to bring back original cast members for a fourth film.

"We are thrilled to say that we are hard at work on a new 'Star Trek' film that will be shooting by the end of the year that will be featuring our original cast and some new characters that I think are going to be really fun and exciting and help take 'Star Trek' into areas that you've just never seen before," Abrams said during the Paramount Investors Day Presentation (via Variety).

Pretty happy with this news. The reboot films aren't the best but the cast was always fun to watch and at least they're better than the ongoing live-action television series.

Star Trek, Star Wars and now he's got his lackeys writing LOTR... is JJ the only frikkin' filmmaker left in Hollywood or what is it going on?

Doom85

Star Trek Ok GIF

I’m in. I enjoyed the three movies so far (I see the first two as the OG crew evolving into who they‘re supposed to be, and the third movie having reached that point), so I’m totally down for another one.

sol_bad

Star Trek, Star Wars and now he's got his lackeys writing LOTR... is JJ the only frikkin' filmmaker left in Hollywood or what is it going on?

Ridley Scott
Steven Spielberg
Cary Fukanaga
Denis Villeneuve
Antoine Fuqua
M Night Shyamalan
Lin-Manuel Miranda
Chloe Zhao
Craig Gillespie
James Wan
James Gunn
Wes Anderson
Edgar Wright
Pablo Larrain
Jon Watts
Guillermo Deltoro
Mamoru Hosoda
Michael Bay

Nah, there is heaps of good and talented directors. Different directors have different skill sets.

Star Trek 4, I'm happy and excited that it is happening. I just hope they don't bring the original cast and actors into the fecking story, no nostalgia bait please.

AJUMP23

I really liked the first one. Second one was pretty good, and the third one I watched and immediately forgot it. I like chi’s pine and Karl Urbans Bones.

Kilau

Gold Member
I didn’t mind the actors but unless they reboot it completely they can’t fix the cluster fuck JJ left behind.

Pagusas

Elden Member
i’m guessing with the rights issue resolved now we’ll get a timeline cross over story at some point, some type of “rift in space time” that connects everything together and plays on nostalgia as much as possible.

maybe the reboot crew find tha bojorn wormhole and Siskco is there and meets Kirk (Pine) as the bojorn prophet are outside of the timeline and aren’t affected by the events of 2009.

Last edited:

ManaByte

i’m guessing with the rights issue resolved now we’ll get a timeline cross over story at some point, some type of “rift in space time” that connects everything together and plays on nostalgia as much as possible.
They already discussed the Kelvin timeline in DISCO.

Chris Pine when the studio said they were considering replacing him:

"I'm captain Kirk! I'm captain Kirk! *slaps lamp over blowing cheap lightbulb*

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM CAPTAIN KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRK!!!!!!!!"

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Good. Although the 2nd and 3rd films weren't great, the cast had great chemistry and were fun to watch.

Star-Lord

Star Trek ‘09 was great, Into Darkness was brilliant, Beyond was okay. I liked the cast in all three, so I’m happy to see them return. Now that everyone seems to be hopping on the multiverse bandwagon, maybe we’ll get a film based around the mirror universe.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm surprised people enjoy these films. I always thought Star Trek should explore morality, philosophy etc...

These movies are just dirt bikes, The Beastie Boys, gobs of lens flare and CGI. They never felt like Trek to me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm surprised people enjoy these films. I always thought Star Trek should explore morality, philosophy etc...

These movies are just dirt bikes, The Beastie Boys, gobs of lens flare and CGI. They never felt like Trek to me.

Thats partially true but even before the reboot that was how the vast majority of Star Trek movies were. The Next Generation movies are genuine schlock with none of the deliberate storytelling or small character moments you find in the actual show. Star Trek The Motion Picture is arguably the only one that was like a high budget Trek episode, and audiences didn't enjoy it lol

First Star Trek was fun but like most JJ movies it was full of stolen plot points and just don't hold up on second viewing. Into Darkness was really bad so bad that it helped third movie bomb. Beyond was okay best of 3 Abrams movies. I don't know if I'm interested in another JJ Trek.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I hope Abrams is only directing... Not writing. He ALWAYS writes himself into a corner with a nonsensical solution. Get a competent writer and they're set!

I really liked Beyond. It was my second favorite after the first one. Frak Into Darkness.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
The first two were both great in their own way. Watched both twice in the theater, didn't even do that with the Star Wars sequels.

Don't remember anything that happened in the third.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I really liked into Darkness at the time. I never quite understood the hate for it. I know it wasn't "star trek" but as a action movies, top notch

I mean good lord have you seen what they did to Star Trek since?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I really liked into Darkness at the time. I never quite understood the hate for it. I know it wasn't "star trek" but as a action movies, top notch

I think the disdain for Into Darkness was because they retread into Khan territory instead of doing something new. The first was a personal story about the loss of Vulcan... The third was about the potential loss of friends... Into Darkness was very much about Khan, revenge, the death of Spo... I mean Kirk... You get me?

Batiman

Banned

Same. Into darkness is great. Fuck the haters. If any one of the 3 deserve hate it’s beyond. Not bad but just mediocre. I feel it gets praise just because JJ isn’t attached to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom