• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

DADlNT-XgAIZVcY.jpg:large

She's beautiful.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Looks decent. I'd still like to see them take Star Trek forward in time, past DS9 and Voyager. But this looks okay.

Here's my take on this. And, as you can probably tell by my avatar, I would love that. But Trek needs a hit. It needs something that works, something that sticks. While I concur with the folks here who are saying the trailer dialogue's a bit stilted, otherwise this looks decent. Maybe even great. If it's successful enough, if it's actually watchable, if things go as planned and CBS gets a nice confidence boost, a post-VOY show is possible. Anything is possible.

If not, it's back to the drawing board. So there are many reasons I hope this pans out.

NotSelf

Why would they go back even further? no cool special quest from any of the previous series no cool new aliens and technology.

smh

sammex

Well the trailer has me convinced this won't be terrible. Hope it's well received cos it looks pretty sharp in terms of visuals.

Fuchsdh

Why would they go back even further? no cool special quest from any of the previous series no cool new aliens and technology.

smh

Not to mention they're creating a visual style that doesn't even try to match anything from the original series, with no "it's an alternate timeline" handwaving. It frankly looks a lot more like generic 2010s sci-fi than anything recognizably Trek to me.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Can't fault the production values so far. But can't make out as much about the quality of the scripting from this. Cautiously optimistic.

Effect

Looks really good. My biggest concern was how this was going to look. If CBS was going to give this thing a real budget and it looks like they did. I was already in but I'm in even more so now thanks to this trailer.

I dunno. There's a ton of fan speculation that
Michelle Yeoh's character dies early on, stuff goes south in the two-hour premiere, etc. If any of that occurs, it kinda works for the trailer.

That's the impression I got as well from this.

DADlNT-XgAIZVcY.jpg:large

She's beautiful.

Damn right!

Yamauchi

Banned
Here's my take on this. And, as you can probably tell by my avatar, I would love that. But Trek needs a hit. It needs something that works, something that sticks. While I concur with the folks here who are saying the trailer dialogue's a bit stilted, otherwise this looks decent. Maybe even great. If it's successful enough, if it's actually watchable, if things go as planned and CBS gets a nice confidence boost, a post-VOY show is possible. Anything is possible.

If not, it's back to the drawing board. So there are many reasons I hope this pans out.

Yes, I hope this is successful so Star Trek TV can be revived. Parts of the trailer had me excited for sure.

Won

Looks pretty. Didn't expect that at all. Way more effort than Star Trek probably deserves at this point.

But everytime someone opened their mouths....uugh. I hope that's just the trailer editing.

DBT85

Really liking what I saw in that trailer, not a toilet seat gag in sight!

Though I'm initially weirded out by the new look Klingons.

Think it looks nice enough, and could probably be a big success..... if they hadn't locked it to that stupid APP. This could have been a revival of Trek on TV, but the whole app thing I fear is just gonna hurt it's potential.

Patryn

Looks interesting if you separate it from where it's supposed to sit in the timeline.

Because otherwise, hoo boy.

presumably the enterprise is around in this time, just under pike with spock as the XO. since the time from what i can gather is post enterprise pre-kirk TOS.

Kimaka

Looks decent. I'd still like to see them take Star Trek forward in time, past DS9 and Voyager. But this looks okay.

I'll take this, but I would have much rather have a post Voyager show. Update Star Trek tech so we can have some modern technology with the future tech.

Yen

Never watched the shows with any regularity, so is there any canonical reason why they can set a show hundreds/thousands of years in the future, rather than a prequel series?

antonz

Looks interesting if you separate it from where it's supposed to sit in the timeline.

Because otherwise, hoo boy.

Timeline wise it probably offers the best opportunity for new things. The Federation is still relatively young and exploring new worlds and all of that. They have to avoid stepping on TOS toes but otherwise they can within the realm of continuity do lots of new things.

By the time of TNG etc. they are basically in cruise control. The Federation has setup its territory and its competitors have theirs and while new things happen they aren't all the time which is exactly why so many shows started jumping all over the galaxy etc to try and introduce new stuff.

s_mirage

I'm going to need to see more to get really excited; that trailer was a collection of single lines of dialogue. Effects look good, and the uniforms are different. Still don't like the ship design from what's been shown though: as someone who loves the Enterprise flyby scene in TMP, the new ship seems to lack a certain elegance and grandeur that some of the older ships had. IMO, of course.

I'm going to need to see more to get really excited; that trailer was a collection of single lines of dialogue. Effects look good, and the uniforms are different. Still don't like the ship design from what's been shown though: as someone who loves the Enterprise flyby scene in TMP, the new ship seems to lack a certain elegance and grandeur that some of the older ships had. IMO, of course.
The ship in this trailer is not the Discovery. It's the Shenzhou

Top Bottom