• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

@CBSTVStudios
Light the Fire! 🔥 Here’s your first look at the Klingons in #StarTrekDiscovery with @obidon1 as T’Kuvma. #StarTrekDiscovery #CBSAllAccess

DAECZi_W0AAWQBU.jpg

Well!

I'm so in for this, looks visually stunning.
It wonder if they are pulling a stunt with Yeoh. I coud see her dying early on based on this trailer, so much of the show seems to revolve around the First Officer.

Magnus

Happy about the production values, but not sensing anything special about the crew. I want a crew that bounces well off each other, and there's barely a hint of that here.

Jackpot

Banned

Fun titbit, they're using the Big Dipper on the view screen with it stars Dubhe, Mera, Phecda, Megrez, Alioth, Mizar, and Alkaid. Though in reality those stars are nowhere near each other as the constellation's just a 2D projection from Earth's POV.

jelly

Doesn't look like Trek which might not be a bad thing, but seems weird. I'll need to settle into an episode or two.

Looks like shit. Stop changing things that don't need to be changed. Why can't we just continue on from TNG or DS9?

/me yelling at the trees in my lawn

Because Apple store Enterprise is not something most fans will like. Also space battles always looked more like a 70's disco with all those flashy lights in J.J. verse.
It looks nothing like an Apple Store. Just because something is brighter and has more embellishment than previous sets doesn't make for an Apple Store.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Is it just the same trailer?

I think I noticed a couple of super-brief extra clips and at least one line of dialogue had a few extra words. Or something. In exchange, some of the other lines are clipped, haha.

It's basically the same thing, but edited together differently and with a strange song choice.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
2017: "Doug Jones' dialogue in this show is kind of ridiculous."
2020: "I'm glad the writers eased up a bit and let Doug Jones make fun of his early dialogue choices."
2026: "You should check out Star Trek: Discovery. The first season's kinda rocky, though."

Continue the trend, Discovery. Continue the trend of improvement over time.

NastyBook

Why didn't they just set it in the Kelvinverse if they're going to imitate all its tech and visual cues.
This.

Trailer was hype, but they bit hard from Abrams. Got an audible sigh from me the second I saw that fucking Dutch angle. Then another from the Klingons. Still a lot more excited for it now that I've actually seen something, though.

LOL @ that space suit. Shits completely on the 23rd century tech they used in First Contact. But some posters already called that happening in the main thread, so they should be proud.

Koyuga

This first season is undoubtedly gonna be a bit wonky, but I hope this show gets enough seasons to find it's footing. Really reminds me of Enterprise mixed with Abrams-trek.

Looks cool.

If the rumored idea about those Klingon is true thats neat.

Wasnt sure what to expect design wise but I am a little surprised they are cribbing so much from Abrams. Dont have a problem with it but I dunno.

Briarios

The Klingons look horrendous -- there was no need for that massive of a redesign. Ugh. I like the actors, but I have so little hope for this ...

Davey Cakes

Interesting how some say "it looks good" and some say "it looks awful" but I guess that's been a thing with Trek since the Abrams movies began. Lots of divisiveness.

Also, this is NeoGAF.

I'm not sure what to say just yet. It doesn't look exactly like what I'd want out of Trek but then again, I honestly don't know which direction a new Trek show SHOULD have.

Hopefully it's at least as good as The Expanse.

Klingons look that way because (rumor/leak)
they may have been chilling in an ark/sarcophagus ship for a very long time
. Willing to bet that the ones that show up on the viewscreen are more conventional-looking.

Also the editing on Yeoh's "time to get a command of your own" line is horrendous.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Interesting how some say "it looks good" and some say "it looks awful" but I guess that's been a thing with Trek since the Abrams movies began. Lots of divisiveness.

Also, this is NeoGAF.

I'm not sure what to say just yet. It doesn't look exactly like what I'd want out of Trek but then again, I honestly don't know which direction a new Trek show SHOULD have.

Hopefully it's at least as good as The Expanse.
Let's see how long it lasts and then talk about which way it should go.

For me, I've seen every single episode of every single Star trek, usually on the day it first shown and I will not be checking this out. It looks terrible to me. I guess enjoy for those who are excited for it...

Top Bottom