• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

Just FYI guys, yes a lot of us are on the new site but registrations are being limited to those in approved discords, they are going to open registrations up for people (with paid email just like here) but they haven't released a time frame yet, just load up your favorite holosuit program for a bit. But you haven't been forgotten.

Just FYI guys, yes a lot of us are on the new site but registrations are being limited to those in approved discords, they are going to open registrations up for people (with paid email just like here) but they haven't released a time frame yet, just load up your favorite holosuit program for a bit. But you haven't been forgotten.

So, what you're saying is were like Sulu's away team stuck on the frozen planet in TOS' Enemy Within?

Carcetti

Hope that's not like a year of waiting like it was in here back then.

I'm staying put so happy to keep chatting about Discovery with anyone that's here!

I will be staying too, never posted much always felt it led to an easier life if you just kept your mouth shut on Neogaf.

Still in two minds about Discovery. I mean I am enjoying it, but not feeling any great attachment to the characters, nor the ship. I also feel the episodes are a bit too "rushed" time wise. They seem to cram an awful lot in in such a short space of time.

I will be staying too, never posted much always felt it led to an easier life if you just kept your mouth shut on Neogaf.

Still in two minds about Discovery. I mean I am enjoying it, but not feeling any great attachment to the characters, nor the ship. I also feel the episodes are a bit too "rushed" time wise. They seem to cram an awful lot in in such a short space of time.

I was glad the last two weeks kind of started addressing some more attachment to the characters. But I agree that while I think the pacing is okay, in a way it is also kinda fast, indeed at times cramming a lot into some eps, and until last week (with all that nice Saru time) there wasn't exactly a lot of breathing room to linger more on some scenes. It feels like we've been getting a little more of some of this over time at least though which is good.

Yup I imagine it will calm down a bit in time. With it being a new show they have a lot they want to show to get us hooked. It is kinda funny when I think back to the pilot episode of Startrek TNG it seems sooo pedestrian in pace compared to Discovery.

In other news Startrek Discovery has been given the green light for a 2nd season. Most probably know this but felt the information should be in the topic. At any rate not bad going after just 6 episodes.

The Powers That Be said:
Star Trek: Discovery has been renewed for season 2 by CBS, sparking a "hurrah!" from fans, and an "ehhh" from those just not getting along with it. We're in the former group here, though, so "hurrah!"

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/star-trek-discovery/37600/star-trek-discovery-news

F-Bombs in Star Trek just feels wrong.
"F-bombs" will most certainly still exist in the 23rd century. Your response is...
giphy.gif

Would dearly love to join an away team. Scotty? Are you receiving me?
Same here. Can't transport to new coordinates without authorization
Same. I know the coordinates, but the shields haven't been lowered so I can't transport through the gravometric waves being immited by the trilithium-crystal generator.
Jesus, where have you guys been all my life? Hope to join you all in Ten Forward after we've warped to the other side of the Neutral Zone... eventually.

Kimawolf

Yeah im REALLY enjoying it. I didnt think I would but... its a fun show! the technology issue i am overlooking, because Discovery feels more advanced than Voyager.

I don't know how that can ever be avoided really.

All they have to do is put in some catch as to why the spore travel wasn't a viable option. They could go with it destabilizing space somehow like in TNG. Look at Khan and the super humans situation. Why didn't the Federation keep developing that? Weed out the aggression and all that bad stuff, and everyone becomes a superman. Can easily weasel out of spore drive in the same manner. As for the more advance feel, that's moreso the progression of technology (use of CG, special effects, etc). I mean Enterprise had the same problem when compared to Voyager. Should they ever show a Constitution class ship in Discovery it will be glossed over too. It's not like you can have a 60s set piece in 2017.

t-storm

^Indeed.

And it's not just the spore drive tho, everything seems more technologically advanced. But yes, I think something cataclysmic will happen either as a result of the Klingons or something else that resets everything back to the dark ages.

Enterprise with Archer did a good job / found that right balance of having the tech then look shiny and pretty but still be a product of its time.

Weevilone

^Indeed.

And it's not just the spore drive tho, everything seems more technologically advanced. But yes, I think something cataclysmic will happen either as a result of the Klingons or something else that resets everything back to the dark ages.

Enterprise with Archer did a good job / found that right balance of having the tech then look shiny and pretty but still be a product of its time.

Enterprise was underrated imo. Even the early episodes were like fan service to me.

I was going to say the technology makes sense given the altered timeline from the movies, but then I remembered they said this was the Prime timeline (as in TOS and TNG).

t-storm

Enterprise was underrated imo. Even the early episodes were like fan service to me.

I know right? I rewatched the whole series on Netflix recently and I wish they had gotten their 7 season run. Apparently Manny Coto had everything mapped out for season five.

When I watched the series originally when it was on the air, I thought seasons 1 and 2 were terrible at the time but upon rewatch, they weren't as bad as I remember... they had some solid ensemble episodes. Even Carbon Creek I enjoyed in my rewatch. That cast had a great dynamic from the start.

Dunno what it was about Enterprise but could never get into it. To this day it is the only Startrek show I have not watched all the way through.

On another note came a cross a preview of this weeks episode. I wouldn't say there is anything "spoilerish" about it, just a brief bit of blurb about this weeks episodes and several photos on set featuring people in the epsiode.

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-magic-to-make-the-sanest-man-go-mad-photos

t-storm

Dunno what it was about Enterprise but could never get into it. To this day it is the only Startrek show I have not watched all the way through.
You've probably already heard this countless times before but seasons three and four were when it really hit its stride. If you can stick it out until then, you're in for some solid episodes. Season three is serialized - one main storyline all season long and then season four has some great trilogy episodes that delve into tensions between the Vulcans, Andorians and Romulans.

You also get to meet the Aenar and see more of Andoria which is beautiful:

The Mirror Darkly episodes are also a treat.

It’s growing on me. I’m mesmerized by how gorgeous Michaels is. As a Trek show, though, it’s different and undeniably interesting. There’s something attractive about covert ops Star Trek, and it’s fascinating knowing that this takes place side by side with the trek we know.

Can’t complain as a trek fan. Between this and The Orville,my cup runneth over. I’m super satisfied.

First couple of episodes was iffy for me but I'm getting into it. Philippa was turrible so I'm kind of glad she's gone but this new captain is a doucher. Michael pretty much keeps it together. And why is her name Michael???

The Cowboy

I'm kinda liking the new Star trek, but it just seems off to me - and not in the tech.

I just don't like the idea of this era of Star fleet hunting possibly sentient beings for enslavement as a new warp drive system, we had this in Voyager for a 2 parter and even Janeway was not up for this due to Star fleet protocol (and she was nuts) - heck even in Wrath of Khan they wouldn't genesis a planet even if it had the bare level of life on it.

I just doesn't sit right to me.

firelogic

The tech is most definitely off because it's supposed to take place before TOS. Now obviously we have better technology now to produce incredible visuals but they didn't even try to match the aesthetics of the show they're preceding in the timeline.

Rogue One clearly looks better than ANH but they matched the aesthetics perfectly. The uniforms, weapons, computer displays and consoles, ships, everything. Blade Runner 2049 also reproduced the look and feel of the first movie. This show just said screw it, not even going to try. We've got holograms, walking holograms, spore drives, touch interfaces, crazy HUDs.

If you wanted to go all out, why place it before TOS? Why not make it a sequel series? Hell, why not make it a parallel timeline?

The tech is most definitely off because it's supposed to take place before TOS. Now obviously we have better technology now to produce incredible visuals but they didn't even try to match the aesthetics of the show they're preceding in the timeline.

Rogue One clearly looks better than ANH but they matched the aesthetics perfectly. The uniforms, weapons, computer displays and consoles, ships, everything. Blade Runner 2049 also reproduced the look and feel of the first movie. This show just said screw it, not even going to try. We've got holograms, walking holograms, spore drives, touch interfaces, crazy HUDs.

If you wanted to go all out, why place it before TOS? Why not make it a sequel series? Hell, why not make it a parallel timeline?

Is pretty clear the Trek name is just hook to give a completely not Trek show a running start.

They clearly don't care about anything that came before it. All they've taken from Trek are names of things.

Will not be surprised if when they think the show has a dedicated enough following for itself they just backtrack and say it's some alt timeline.

Walshicus

Is pretty clear the Trek name is just hook to give a completely not Trek show a running start.

They clearly don't care about anything that came before it. All they've taken from Trek are names of things.

Will not be surprised if when they think the show has a dedicated enough following for itself they just backtrack and say it's some alt timeline.

This is so ridiculous it's insulting.

I mean, on an episode by episode basis this show has MORE connections to prior canon than most of the previous shows had in entire series.

Coupled with Discovery's first series so far being better than every other Trek show's first series...

Seriously, cannot understand your opinion in the slightest.

This is so ridiculous it's insulting.

I mean, on an episode by episode basis this show has MORE connections to prior canon than most of the previous shows had in entire series.

Here are a few reasons why

Klingons that are not Klingons in looks nor behaviour.

Timeline taken a shit on.

Technology that should not exist yet in universe.

Technology that doesn't work how it should in universe.

Biological abilities of species not working how it should.

They literally use names of things but change what they actually are. That is not a connection to canon, is a compete disregard for canon.

Bolded is just bollocks.

I would have preferred another time setting. We've already had the "prequel" idea with enterprise. Of course you couldn't even tell it's an older timeline when all the tech is out of whack with the established trek universe

t-storm

Here are a few reasons why

Klingons that are not Klingons in looks nor behaviour.

Timeline taken a shit on.

Technology that should not exist yet in universe.

Technology that doesn't work how it should in universe.

Biological abilities of species not working how it should.

They literally use names of things but change what they actually are. That is not a connection to canon, is a compete disregard for canon.

Bolded is just bollocks.
I believe those behind the show have said all of the things you've flagged will be explained by the end of the season...

Symphonia

Banned
Honestly, the gripes people have with the technology being too advanced for the shows era are beyond petty. Can we not just sit back, watch, and enjoy it for what it is?

Firstly this is not aimed at anyone in particular and I hate to backseat moderate but can we please keep this on-topic about discovery. If you have any questions about other forums then the best thing for you to do is contact that forum team via twitter or email and not clog this forum up with it.

You've probably already heard this countless times before but seasons three and four were when it really hit its stride. If you can stick it out until then, you're in for some solid episodes.

At the moment I am re watching Startrek TOS (making use of this Netflix subscription I got so I could watch discovery) and absolutely loving it. Sure the acting was god awful at times but there is just something gripping about TOS. I will give Enterprise another crack at the whip when I finish TOS. After all it can't be that much of a chore or bring that much pain to watch Enterprise, plus I miss Scott Bakula (loved him in Quantum Leap).

Now with less than 24 hours away from the next episode of discovery a sneak peak has been posted on startrek movies. It is kinda cool and again I wouldn't class it as spoilers ...... unless you consider the fact Beer Pong still exists in the future is a spoiler :-

https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/27/wa...discovery-episode-7-latif-talks-burnhamtyler/

I believe those behind the show have said all of the things you've flagged will be explained by the end of the season...

I really don't see how that is possible outside of backtracking the prime timeline claim.

Edit, in that link he says by time of TOS, not end of season. It's just a puff of hot air.

Ok will be mindful of spoilers then :)

but for now... this is the music they play at parties in the 23rd century? XD

Nah don't worry about it, never was one for "OMGZZZZZZZZZZZZ YA SPOILED IT, THAT IS MY LIFE LIKE TOTALLY OVER MAN". I believe the rule is once it airs in the country of origin then you can post without spoilers.

t-storm

Overall I like this episode, lots of character development and personality but kind of also feels like a bottle show/filler episode.

Just had a chance to watch the latest episode on netflix, now sitting through Aftertrek. Pretty good episode overall. I have to confess I am a total sucker for time loop episodes one of my favourite TNG episodes is "cause and effect" where the Enterprise D is trapped in a time loop.

In my mind this time loop episode wasn't as good as "cause and effect" but it would be a tall order to beat that. I really enjoyed this episode and hey who couldn't love Mudd, the guy that plays Mudd has really knocked it out of the park. Though having said that I hope we have a bit of a break from Mudd now, it is one of those characters that works as a "special treat"

The surprise for me is how much I am warming to the spore scientist Paul Stamets. Lets face it we all thought he was gonna be an arsehole but he is actually becoming very enjoyable to watch. I was incredible sceptical about the whole gay relationship thing when it first appeared but honestly it appears to be well done. It appears natural and "right" too many times we see gay relationships in series and they feel kinda "forced".

So yeah great episode, we only have 2 episodes left now till the looming several month break. Next weeks episode looks like a corker. So far I don't think Discovery has had a bad episode which is quite an achievement, lets hope this continues.

Top Bottom