• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I guess I'm impatient for my first ship, but leveling to that point feels like it is taking forever. :lol

This game certainly bombards you with missions though. Explore this, patrol that, some TV-like multi-tiered missions, etc.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Darkman M said:
Is this game like FFXI where you have sit all day waiting for a party or can you solo shit?
The opposite actually. Most of the time, it feels like a single player experience, but you can group up on any mission with other people if you want.

Medalion

Banned
I finally figured out how to design my ship, but I don't want to because it costs me points, and my choices are quite limited with only 3 choices to choose from for templates.

I also got to DS9 finally and have finished exploring it. It's pretty faithful to the show, although I can't seem to find where the Holosuites are located in Quark's. Once you've looked around for a bit, it's not that much interesting than any other starbase. I wish I could do more things there... oh well...

I got a feeling I will be bored of this game well before my subsciption ends in May.

enewtabie

Ok more questions..First MMO and first PC game in 7 years.
I already have the headstart. So i need to install again or just go into Steam?? Don't want to lose my Lt.Cmdr.

enewtabie said:
Ok more questions..First MMO and first PC game in 7 years.
I already have the headstart. So i need to install again or just go into Steam?? Don't want to lose my Lt.Cmdr.

Nope, just input your product key on the website when you get it (you ordered through steam? It should be in Steam someplace, I'm sure someone better versed in Steam can point you to it).

enewtabie

Lonewolf_92 said:
Nope, just input your product key on the website when you get it (you ordered through steam? It should be in Steam someplace, I'm sure someone better versed in Steam can point you to it).

No I preordered through Gamestop. Got in the beta and been in the headstart. Now I have the physical disk. Was just wondering how that worked.

enewtabie said:
No I preordered through Gamestop. Got in the beta and been in the headstart. Now I have the physical disk. Was just wondering how that worked.

Ah, confused me by mentioning steam. Just enter the code that came with your disk on the STO website and you're good to go. :) You can collect your Preorder goodies via the C-Store in-game.

nataku

Error 6402463, how I hate you.

Got back from work and yep, patcher is still crashing.

I really hope reinstalling the game tomorrow fixes it...

derFeef

Truant said:
This feels more like the new movie than the stuff I've seen of OS and TNG.

Not really a bad thing.

Hm I am not sure. There are some weird things going on - old ships (K'tinga, Constitution class) mixed with newer things.

Truant

WuselDusel said:
Hm I am not sure. There are some weird things going on - old ships (K'tinga, Constitution class) mixed with newer things.

I'm just talking about the overall look. I don't know shit about Star Trek, just I'm just getting that flashy vibe.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just hit Commander and got my Tier 3 Cruiser. Thing is a beast with 6 weapons slots. Only thing that sucks (and it sucks a lot) is that you can only have one fore and one aft weapon on autofire so I'm back to slapping my spacebar constantly again.

9gwjr6.jpg

2qs5ili.jpg

Truant

So the latest nVidia drivers will fix the constant pauses in the game?

It really sucks, because it runs at 60 + fps constantly between those pauses, so it can't be a performance issue in that sense.

Medalion

Banned
I was dissapointed to find out when I go to DS9, and see the Wormhole opening up by itself randomly, I can fly to it, and through it, and it doesn't take me to the Gamma Quadrant :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Medalion said:
I was dissapointed to find out when I go to DS9, and see the Wormhole opening up by itself randomly, I can fly to it, and through it, and it doesn't take me to the Gamma Quadrant :(

They gotta leave something for an expansion pack. I imagine DS9's wormhole will become this games "Dark Portal". =/

Truant

TheExodu5 said:
I'm going to take a guess and say you're running the 195.62 NVidia drivers. They have issues with this game. Update to the newest drivers.

Are those the ones before the latest? If so, I'll try that tonight.

Zzoram

nataku said:
Right click on the armor on your character's equipment panel and click hide.

Thanks!

I'm always in fleet chat when I'm on. Strangely enough, I play solo most of the time. The way the game scales instances to the size of your party and uses your bridge officers as an away team makes the game very possible to solo. That makes it very casual friendly, and I hope that means this game will have legs.

Zzoram

Sir Fragula said:
The Dominion would be an interesting playable faction...

The Gamma Quadrant is also largely unwritten. They could make up anything they want there, allowing for creative flexibility.

Delio

Finally hit Commander after alot of Grinding and missions and got my next Cruiser. My Goodness does it burn thru enegry haha. Really need a better EPS flow console to get my weapon power back up. Otherwise it's such a lil tank :)

Zzoram

I wonder if it's possible to finish all the Federation content in just the first 30 days. If I can do that, I won't buy more time until a ton of new content is out.

DrBo42

Wish I could play and join GAF fleet. This fucking bullshit game is not working. Their ticket system is either not working, or no one is going through it. I spent 4 hours on the phone with billing support and no one picked up. Cryptic has the worst customer service EVER.

Zzoram said:
I wonder if it's possible to finish all the Federation content in just the first 30 days. If I can do that, I won't buy more time until a ton of new content is out.

No one really knows, next week all the borg content gets added so makes the game even longer.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
only the lifetime subscribers who paid for it by 2/1. Presumably Liberated Borg will be added to the c-store at some point (or xpac??), but for now, only lifetime subscribers can play as them.

WuselDusel said:
Lifetime subscribers can, yes. Liberated Borg though, and they look lame.
umm... you get the full creator for making them.. they can pretty much look how you want. Pretty happy with mine actually. Not to mention Liberated Klingon Borgs look f'ing awesome!

10 more levels and i'll have my Akira back, cant bloody wait.

Nice of cryptic to give all the deluxe editions the extra 500 c-store points, I bought the ferengi for 80, can't wait to see what else they put up.

Truant

My guy looks dashing, so I don't really mind. I just want to cruise around, zapping badguys, scanning stuff, and look good while doing it.

Not Trek fan, but this is pretty cool.

derFeef

borghe said:
umm... you get the full creator for making them.. they can pretty much look how you want. Pretty happy with mine actually. Not to mention Liberated Klingon Borgs look f'ing awesome!

Besides the "infected" skin, you only have those big implants which look made out of LEGO or something :) There are no nice in-skin implants like Seven Of Nine had for example. You have them for your Borg BO though.

UPS just tried to deliver my collectors edition from Gamestop, they want £19.90 for import charges, jeez I bought a FF13 PS3 from japan and didn't get a penny of tax :(

borghe

WuselDusel said:
Besides the "infected" skin, you only have those big implants which look made out of LEGO or something :) There are no nice in-skin implants like Seven Of Nine had for example. You have them for your Borg BO though.
you have the standard implants which IMHO look fine. Yes you do have the ridiculous implants which I can't imagine anyone using :\ And then you have ear implants which are very small admittedly. Basically you are left looking like Locutus (which Cryptic did say ahead of time), a human with a small texture in their ear, or someone with a car radiator stuck to half their face.

Still, I did manage to make an alien borg that I was very happy with that had a locutus-like implant. Hence why I'm defending it. The options are there to make something decent looking.. but yeah, you'd think a Seven of Nine option would be available for the captain. oh well, throw it up on the c-store I guess (yes I would pay for it).

gyrspike

Neo Member
nataku

Try redownloading the entire game. I had the same issue happen this past weekend with my steam version. After steam updated it made me download the whole game again. And then it crashed at the patcher every single time. I had to completely redownload the game outside of steam to get things working.

derFeef

borghe said:
you have the standard implants which IMHO look fine. Yes you do have the ridiculous implants which I can't imagine anyone using :\ And then you have ear implants which are very small admittedly. Basically you are left looking like Locutus (which Cryptic did say ahead of time), a human with a small texture in their ear, or someone with a car radiator stuck to half their face.

Still, I did manage to make an alien borg that I was very happy with that had a locutus-like implant. Hence why I'm defending it. The options are there to make something decent looking.. but yeah, you'd think a Seven of Nine option would be available for the captain. oh well, throw it up on the c-store I guess (yes I would pay for it).

Did not want to downplay your character, sorry mate. I am sure it´s fine! There are just not the kind of options I was looking forward to.

Liking my female Vulcan so far - hot with the TOS uniform :D

edit: downplay is the wrong word I think, but I hope you know what I mean.
bad english

Chris_C

Where do I enter my CD key? All of a sudden the game is telling me "You are not allowed to log into this server at this time" and I can only imagine it's because I haven't ever entered my CD key (I bought the game from Steam but I'm not using Steam to launch it).

EDIT: Never mind, seems to be just a server capacity problem, I was able to log on eventually.

Now what I'd like to know is why I don't see the TOS uniform set listed as an option in the uniform list, I bought the Steam DDE.

Went to Vulcan last night for the first time. It was quite epic to see other ships come out of warp around the same time as me. NERD-GASMIC!

j8dy11.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Chris_C said:
Where do I enter my CD key? All of a sudden the game is telling me "You are not allowed to log into this server at this time" and I can only imagine it's because I haven't ever entered my CD key (I bought the game from Steam but I'm not using Steam to launch it).
On the web site, scroll down slightly on the right hand side. There's an option for "enter your key" or something.

DrBo42

Here's a treat from the STO support forums:

Dissatisfied Customer said:
Subject: ffs, Cryptic want me to loose weight

Ok, here is the deal. I buy my retail golden edition and walk home to play. I put in the code and billinginformation an are soon ready to go. I wrap up the T-shirt and tried to put it on...but..IT won´t fit
This is absolutly unacceptable. I buy a game and expect that everything should work. The T-shirt is large and i am large to, yes i am even "very" large so it should fit nicely.

I will not accept this and will for sure not play with another T-shirt on me
I will go to court an sue every $ from them.....
So the only choice I have is to stop playing and go back to WOW or loose some weight so i can put that nice Star trek shirt on me. /shrugs...

I want a official statement from Cryptic why they treat large, filthy rich customers this way with false marketing . I even tried to strech it but it still will not hide my stomach

dbed34

Neo Member
I really love the game so far and am having a lot of fun with my Fed (just hit LtC and got my new ship :D )

Now I've played since the open beta and the only thing I'm a little put off by is the bad guy races... I really wanted to play a Romulan and ride around in a Romulan Warbird because I thought they were really cool... alas, maybe an expansion some day.. sigh

borghe

dbed34 said:
I really love the game so far and am having a lot of fun with my Fed (just hit LtC and got my new ship :D )

Now I've played since the open beta and the only thing I'm a little put off by is the bad guy races... I really wanted to play a Romulan and ride around in a Romulan Warbird because I thought they were really cool... alas, maybe an expansion some day.. sigh
the game takes place after the Trek Prime events in the new movie... hence there aren't a whole lot of romulans around right now ;)

watership

They really need in ship missions and the ability to explore your ship. To have a encounter where your ship is boarded and then you have to fight deck to deck with invaders.. etc

I'm sure they made the game open enough to handle any sort of instance. Do it Cyptic.

Top Bottom