• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
pvp20100128.png

pvp20100129.png

JdFoX187

Banned
I need to be re-added to the GAFleet. Foximus@MasterFox. Thanks guys. Already further along in the final game than I was in the Beta. Didn't want to spoil too much.

Zzoram

So, Steam decided to redownload 10GB of data because Cryptic had set it up so that Star Trek Online - Beta would check for updates, and it basically "updated" by deleting that folder with all the files and redownloaded a Star Trek Online folder.

I do hope the fleet is still called Gafleet, I need some sort of legacy dammit! :lol

Good to see the fleet up and running again so soon, look forward to joining back up when my copy arrives.

Also TheExodu5 that vent idea could be pretty cool. I actually just randomly bought one myself but not sure how long I'm going to have it for and it currently has a 10 person limit, otherwise I'd offer that to be used too.

randomlyrossy said:
I do hope the fleet is still called Gafleet, I need some sort of legacy dammit! :lol

Good to see the fleet up and running again so soon, look forward to joining back up when my copy arrives.

Also TheExodu5 that vent idea could be pretty cool. I actually just randomly bought one myself but not sure how long I'm going to have it for and it currently has a 10 person limit, otherwise I'd offer that to be used too.

I'd never change such an awesome name. :)

Zzoram said:
In the beta, it was called GAFleet. I also hope that's what was recreated.

That's it Exactly.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
randomlyrossy said:
Good to hear!

So those of you who have actually been able to get on, what are your impressions? Has much changed since the beta?

There's been some interface refinements. Also haven't experienced that ship in ship or person in space bug at all.

Well, it looks like my Steam download is corrupted. :( I'm probably going to end up not playing this game until Tuesday. This is completely bullshit.

And steam seems to be forcing me to download the whole thing again instead of just redownloading the corrupted files.

Zzoram

DoctorWho said:
Well, it looks like my Steam download is corrupted. :( I'm probably going to end up not playing this game until Tuesday. This is completely bullshit.

And steam seems to be forcing me to download the whole thing again instead of just redownloading the corrupted files.

Is that before or after Steam made you redownload 10GB today?

Zzoram said:
Is that before or after Steam made you redownload 10GB today?

After. It's making me redownload the 10GB again because 8 files are corrupted. :(

This is some sort of cruel torture. As soon as this is redownloading I'm shutting down Steam and staying the hell away from it for STO.

Chris_C

DoctorWho said:

What I want to know is, what did STEAM do to the 10GB's I had already downloaded? Did it just delete it, bypassing the recycle bin etc? If I could find those files I'd copy paste into the STO folder and see if the official patcher was smart enough to know that the files are there.

Chris_C said:
What I want to know is, what did STEAM do to the 10GB's I had already downloaded? Did it just delete it, bypassing the recycle bin etc? If I could find those files I'd copy paste into the STO folder and see if the official patcher was smart enough to know that the files are there.

The official patcher completely crashed when I tried to use it to fix the 10 gigs I just downloaded from Steam. It tried to patch but wouldn't do anything.

enewtabie

Looks like Kinjer is bugged along with Una. I've completed it but the quests are still showing as open. Maybe it'll clear up.

Chris_C

DoctorWho said:
The official patcher completely crashed when I tried to use it to fix the 10 gigs I just downloaded from Steam. It tried to patch but wouldn't do anything.

Well, I've downloaded 2GB in the past 4 or 5 hours. I'm done for today or my ISP will have my head. I suspect I should be able to play by Tuesday. If at that point the patcher and or Steam give me issues, I might have to call it a day on this game.

Chris_C said:
Well, I've downloaded 2GB in the past 4 or 5 hours. I'm done for today or my ISP will have my head. I suspect I should be able to play by Tuesday. If at that point the patcher and or Steam give me issues, I might have to call it a day on this game.

I thank the gods that I've hung on to my unlimited plan for as long as I have. They've been fighting me to switch to one of their capped plans but I won't!

Won

Admiral Quinn ate one of my BO rewards. :/
I guess I now have to buy me a tac BO myself.

They also removed autofire in ground combat. Terrible. :(

Chris_C

For those who had Steam suddenly destroy their STO download, if you have Vista or Win 7, you might try this fix. I'm trying it myself right now and it SEEMS to be restoring my old files.

Chris_C said:
For those who had Steam suddenly destroy their STO download, if you have Vista or Win 7, you might try this fix. I'm trying it myself right now and it SEEMS to be restoring my old files.

I wonder if this will work for me now that I have to download it a second (third if you count the actual beta) time.

watership

So what fleet is gaf using? People can friend me at okat'iklon@watership.

Messing with the alien creator for the first time was fun stuff.
4315238924_a0d51b5cba.jpg

Chris_C

DoctorWho said:
I wonder if this will work for me now that I have to download it a second (third if you count the actual beta) time.

I suppose it depends on the last time Windows made a restore point. I just got done using ShadowExplorer and it would seem I have my original beta client back 7.78GB. Not exactly the 10GB patched at the end of open beta, but a damn sight better than starting from zero.

I copied that restored file just in case, and I'm going to try starting the patcher in a moment.

clipboard01pr.jpg

Just saw this posted on the STO forums. Looks like my second download might be a pointless venture. There is something simply wrong with the version on Steam. :( I had the exact same problem as this guy.

Chris_C

DoctorWho said:
Just saw this posted on the STO forums. Looks like my second download might be a pointless venture. There is something simply wrong with the version on Steam. :( I had the exact same problem as this guy.

Are you sure? I just finished the procedure I posted above and when I clicked the restored Star Trek Online exe, the patcher opened up and started Patching STO. I stopped it though, because I can't afford to download much more data today.

The fix I liked to seems to be working for a bunch of folks, hope it solves your issues. I downloaded from Steam as well, so if it's a problem with the Steam file I should be having the same issues.

TheExodu5

Banned
randomlyrossy said:
Good to hear!

So those of you who have actually been able to get on, what are your impressions? Has much changed since the beta?

A tiny bit glitchy (lag mostly), but really, this is one of the smoothest MMO launches I've experienced.

Chris_C said:
Link please?

Also, are you sure? I just finished the procedure I posted above and when I clicked the restored Star Trek Online exe, the patcher opened up and started Patching STO. I stopped it though, because I can't afford to download much more data today.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127628&page=13

This is just from doing the redownload, not the procedure you posted. I tried your procedure and while it seems to be working for everyone else it looks like some of th files are corrupted for me. No luck. :(. If this doesn't work, I'm just going to grab the beta off a torrent and just do a ton of patching through the updater.

Chris_C

DoctorWho said:

This is just from doing the redownload, not the procedure you posted. I tried your procedure and while it seems to be working for everyone else it looks like some of th files are corrupted for me. No luck. :(. If this doesn't work, I'm just going to grab the beta off a torrent and just do a ton of patching through the updater.

That really sucks, I'm sorry the procedure didn't work for you, hope you're able to get in game relatively quickly.

JdFoX187

Banned
DoctorWho said:

Might be the easiest thing to do for the time being.

Medalion

Banned
watership said:
So what fleet is gaf using? People can friend me at okat'iklon@watership.

Messing with the alien creator for the first time was fun stuff.
4315238924_a0d51b5cba.jpg

Holy shit you can be Jem'Hadar too?

Would be cooler to be Founder like a Changeling or even a Vorta for shits n' giggles!

THANK YOU GOD DOWNLOAD NUMBER TWO HAS WORKED!!

20 fucking gigs later!!! Just downloading the 59MB patch now.

I've shut down steam and won't be using it until they resolve this issue.

Can someone add me to Gafleet

Smith@DoctorWho31

Thanks!!

Guys with Steam. Just don't run steam. Don't load the program. Launch the game directly from the directory it is in.

watership

Medalion said:
Holy shit you can be Jem'Hadar too?

Would be cooler to be Founder like a Changeling or even a Vorta for shits n' giggles!

Well i built this Jem'Hadar from the alien option in the character generator. It's not a pre set. You can totally build most of the crazy alien races with just a big of time and tweaking.

Zzoram

So this Steam problem is really annoying. I don't want to move files and rename things and edit my registry. This better just get fixed by Valve before the end of the weekend.

Zzoram said:
So this Steam problem is really annoying. I don't want to move files and rename things and edit my registry. This better just get fixed by Valve before the end of the weekend.

I guess you could avoid loading steam up altogether and just run the client directly from the games directory. That is what I'm doing now to avoid having this issue happen again.

mr stroke

TheExodu5 said:
I've got a proposition to make: I have a Ventrilo server. I can up the slots if people actually plan on using it.

I would be interested in a Vent gaf room if there was a good amount of people willing to play with it

Bru

Played for five hours last night then some this morning before the servers went down for maintenance.

Picked up a bug after finishing one of the listening station missions. The Tactical Kit I chose as part of my reward never made it to my inventory :-(

Still loving the game though. A good breath of fresh air after crawling dungeons for the past couple of years ;-)

Please feel free to add me to GAF Fleet:

Larc@Bru_tek

Lifetime subscription.

Sickboy007 said:
Nice thread guys but shouldn't this be moved to the Online Forum?

I think it should probably stick around for about a week before it is moved. MAG is still in Gaming and so is the FFXI thread.

DoctorWho said:
I think it should probably stick around for about a week before it is moved. MAG is still in Gaming and so is the FFXI thread.

Mhmm yeah that's probably the best solution. Anyway, i'm not playing until the headstart ends because I want my joined trill.

Top Bottom