• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

Walshicus

Used my first monthly stipend and some left-over CStore points to buy the Vulcan D'Kyr ship. Guess will just have to see if it's worth it!

Are there any active players still in the GAFleet?

I got this game as a present over the weekend and am actually enjoying it more than I expected. The ground combat leaves quite a bit to be desired but I think the ship combat is fun enough to keep me interested for a while at least. It may not be as deep as EVE when it comes to most things, but things just feel more visceral and fun in STO since positioning plays a bigger factor.

I went through most of the beginning of the game using the OG Constitution since it was free in the C-Store. Picked up a new Constitution when I hit Lt. Comm as well. Just love those simple sexy lines...

Would love to join up with someone to do some Fleet Actions or anything, if anyone is still active...

Walshicus

I got this game as a present over the weekend and am actually enjoying it more than I expected. The ground combat leaves quite a bit to be desired but I think the ship combat is fun enough to keep me interested for a while at least. It may not be as deep as EVE when it comes to most things, but things just feel more visceral and fun in STO since positioning plays a bigger factor.

I went through most of the beginning of the game using the OG Constitution since it was free in the C-Store. Picked up a new Constitution when I hit Lt. Comm as well. Just love those simple sexy lines...

Would love to join up with someone to do some Fleet Actions or anything, if anyone is still active...

I'm still active! However I left GAFfleet with the intention of making a new one with me as admin (the current admin no longer plays...). Sadly I then forgot that you need a full party of 5 to make a fleet.

Add E'Sel@Walshicus (or maybe ESel@Walshicus) as a friend if you want. I'm spending most of my time running the Special Task Force missions.

If yourself and three other people are willing we could form a full party some time this week and make a new fleet?

LordAlu

I enjoyed the ship combat a lot but the ground combat was pretty dire, and when I reached max level last time I played there was pretty much nothing in the end game. I'll be coming back when it goes F2P though, I just didn't want to continue subbing when there was pretty much nothing there.

Walshicus

I enjoyed the ship combat a lot but the ground combat was pretty dire, and when I reached max level last time I played there was pretty much nothing in the end game. I'll be coming back when it goes F2P though, I just didn't want to continue subbing when there was pretty much nothing there.

Ground combat is a lot more interesting than in the first three seasons. But yeah, it's all about that starship-on-starship action.

I'm slowly working out what needs to go in the new F2P official thread, but I think the most important thing is going to be a how-to-access bit for the best User Generated Missions. Some of them really are well executed, so if you know where to look it's very hard to *not* have something to do in the game.

LordAlu

Ground combat is a lot more interesting than in the first three seasons. But yeah, it's all about that starship-on-starship action.

I'm slowly working out what needs to go in the new F2P official thread, but I think the most important thing is going to be a how-to-access bit for the best User Generated Missions. Some of them really are well executed, so if you know where to look it's very hard to *not* have something to do in the game.
Sweet. I'd been hearing good things about what was going on in STO, but at the time I was playing Rift so I didn't want to have two subs going on at once. I won't be playing SWTOR either (certainly not till I'm done with Skyrim and by then probably Mass Effect 3) because I feel if you're paying a sub for an MMO you should invest the time. With STO going F2P I'll be able to play casually :)

What the hell?

I can't login to the game(the launcher just times out in Steam) and every single one of the Cryptic Studios sites will not load for me.

I checked with some friends and it seems like they can see the sites fine at least.

Grrr....

Carcetti

Has someone tested the new klingon ships like the mini-carriers? Are they just low tier ships or are there high level versions available like with the Excelsior?

Walshicus

Has someone tested the new klingon ships like the mini-carriers? Are they just low tier ships or are there high level versions available like with the Excelsior?

I've been using the Orion Patrol Cruiser at max level on my Klingon; they added a single fighters-only hangar to it in season 5.

Works great most of the time - the only problem I have is that the fighter AI is a bit borked when it comes to Special Task Force missions and attacking borg *structures*.

Damn the game is still down for me. I have tried everything from dns flushes to calling my ISP.

Not a single response from my support ticket. The weird thing is that even though I can access their sites through my normal ISP wifi, switching to my mobile wifi on the iPad gives me access to the sites at least.

Maybe I should just resubscribe to eve to get my space combat fix. If only bridge commander was available on gog or something. Always wanted to try that game.

Hey guys. Though the big F2P launch is January 17, a lot of you don't have to wait. They announced that starting today,
anyone with a lapsed subscription to Star Trek Online will be able to log into the game and play as a Silver member. This means that any account that has in the past subscribed to the game, even if only for the initial month, can come back and play for free!

For those of you not familiar with the difference between Gold (subscriber) and Silver (non-subscriber) membership, you can refer to the features matrix. The most important fact is that previous subscribers can jump right in and play their existing characters with no extra steps and no loss of anything they previously gained for their characters.

Early access is our way of thanking the many loyal customers who sat in the Captain’s chair during the past two years. Free-to-play opens for the general public in less than two weeks, on 17-01 (January 17th).
http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2756

EDIT: Haha, 17-01... I didn't realize they'd picked that date for a specific reason.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Jumped back into this game after not having played since launch month.

So confused, but I do think the game is mostly better than it was then. I really like the Duty Officer system, though I'm still pretty unclear how I'm supposed to get more dudes than the original allotment other than buying them 7 at a time on the C store. The memory alpha crafting stuff seems to make way more sense now, too, though I'm not sure it's actually worth the time required. Ground combat still feels weird.

Walshicus

Jumped back into this game after not having played since launch month.

So confused, but I do think the game is mostly better than it was then. I really like the Duty Officer system, though I'm still pretty unclear how I'm supposed to get more dudes than the original allotment other than buying them 7 at a time on the C store. The memory alpha crafting stuff seems to make way more sense now, too, though I'm not sure it's actually worth the time required. Ground combat still feels weird.

For Duty Officers, go to Starfleet Academy (and some other zones) and you will occasionally see a recruitment assignment which will grant a batch of DOFFs.

Alternatively you can get any commendation rank up level 1 and you'll be granted the ability to buy DOFFs for dilithium.

Even more alternatively, you can buy certain DOFFs for the Borg STF currency from the Task Force Omega office on Deep Space Nine.

The new OP's coming along well!

Image7.png

Htown

Last night I also decided to try the whole "advanced" difficulty thing.

More often than not, it leads to me getting my butt kicked, but it seems that's the only way that there's an actual death penalty instead of being boring and zerging everything. Loot seems better, too.

Walshicus

So, can anyone think of anything else that needs to go in the new official Free-2-Play thread? I'm not sure how much really needs to go in the OP. Might sling some screenshot in too.

Image1.png

Image2.png

Image3.png

Image4.png

Image5.png

Image6.png

Image7.png

Image8.png

Image9.png

Image10.png

Htown

The Undine were Species 8472, not 8471. Also, I'd personally scale that down to about 80% of its current size.

WillyFive

I am reminded that people complained of OT's with only images on it, since it takes long to load and they can't use Ctrl+F to search for stuff they want to know about.

But that is awesome, so forget them.

Orca

Sorry for the bump, but I just got this notice:

iJkYy.jpg

That warning distressingly lives up to the giant CRYPTIC at the top, so here's the 'more info' available:

IMPORTANT CUSTOMER SERVICE NOTIFICATION REGARDING UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS

At Cryptic Studios, your privacy and security is important. As part of our ongoing efforts to monitor and enhance security, we recently detected evidence of an unauthorized access to one of our user databases. The unauthorized access occurred in December 2010, and evidence of this has just been uncovered due to increased security analysis.

The unauthorized access included user account names, handles, and encrypted passwords for those accounts. Even though the passwords were encrypted, it is apparent that the intruder has been able to crack some portion of the passwords in this database. All accounts that we believe were present in the database have had the passwords reset, and customers registered to these accounts have been notified via e-mail of this incident.

While we have no evidence that any other information was taken by the intruder, it is possible that the intruder was able to access additional account information. If they did so, the first and last name, e-mail address, date of birth (if provided to Cryptic Studios), billing address, and the first six digits and the last four digits of credit cards registered on the site may have been accessed. We have no evidence at this time that any data other than the account name, handle, and encrypted password were accessed for any user.

We are continuing to investigate this incident, and are taking even further action to strengthen our systems and redouble our security vigilance and protections. For your own security, we encourage you to be especially aware of e-mail and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Cryptic will not contact you in any way, including by e-mail, asking for your credit card number, social security number, or any other personally identifiable information. If you use the same password for other accounts, especially financial accounts or accounts with personal information, we strongly recommend that you change them.

While we have no evidence of unauthorized use of personal information as a result of this incident, to protect against any possible identity theft, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. Further information regarding the prevention of identity theft can be found at the Federal Trade Commission’s website here.

We apologize for any inconvenience this unauthorized access may have caused our customers. Customers with questions about this incident and how it may affect them can contact customer service by submitting a support ticket at https://support.perfectworld.com/app/cs_cryptic/iss/log.

Medalion

Banned
Yeah I saw the thread about this on the gaming-age side, and also got the email

A lot of people at the STO message board couldn't login...

I tried to send the "forgot password" thing, but still hasn't arrived yet, and it's not in my spam :/

LordAlu

The original e-mail arrived in my normal inbox, but the password reset e-mail arrived in my spam. Reset now anyway, not that I play anymore :/

Top Bottom