• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek or Star Wars

Thaedolus

Star Trek = actual sci fi.

Star Wars = fantasy in space.

The fact people can travel FTL and have laser guns is about all they have in common. I don't really see one as better than the other, just different shit that I like in both cases.

Star Trek universe is much wider and richer than Star Wars's. There are not much interesting in these series except things like stormtrooper, jedi and rebellion vs evil. And people even got tired by these.

Sorcerer

As a kid Star Wars. But it seems Star Wars (as far as the movies go) is stuck in an infinite loop of telling the same story over and over again. Some kid will discover he/she has Force Powers, will be tested by the dark side, overcome that and save the day blah, blah, blah. I bet the next trilogy will be exactly this again (with a side helping of Death Stars).
At least Star Trek has a much broader scope, and the possibilities for story telling could theoretically be infinite.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Star Wars, Why? Because Darth Vader, best villain ever, movies will never touch the original trilogies cinematic run ever.

bitbydeath

Guardians of the Galaxy dances on both their graves.

UnknownParchedBeardeddragon-size_restricted.gif

MacReady13

I love George Lucas' Star Wars (all 6 films) and all the extended universe from his great era. I also love the original Star Trek and the films they were a part of. I hate the new Star Wars and the new Star Trek. I probably love both of the equally...

despite the repeated attempts to kill anything worthwhile to its eu I will always have a soft spot for Star Wars, exploring all those cool planets and flying cool ships in the old games plus some of the comics and books of the 90s and 00s.

Hudo

I like both for different reasons. If I'm in the mood for some zen-buddhism space-fantasy opera with light sabers, I'll go with Star Wars. If I'm in the mood for "Engage!", photon torpedoes, cultural, political and existential philosophy, I'll go with Star Trek.

If I'm in the mood for motherfucking devestation, continuous war, clanner stupidity, big-ass and old walking machines that fire fucking lasers and rockets, bad decisions on a galactic scale and space AT&T fucking everyone over, I'll go with Battletech.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Star Trek is infinitely more versatile. take Barclay, for example. could you imagine if we got a Barclay style Star Wars character? would be so cool. but no, everyone is super competent, and if anyone new is introduced, they are more competent than the previous folks. it makes things boring. Barclay was so brilliant because he was a normal, self doubting human, dropped in the midst of TNG's hyper competence.

Reginald_Barclay.jpg

like, i am trying to think of the closest parallel to him in SW and am coming up blank. everyone is either too good at their jobs or so confident that it doesn't matter.

nikolino840

Star Trek is infinitely more versatile. take Barclay, for example. could you imagine if we got a Barclay style Star Wars character? would be so cool. but no, everyone is super competent, and if anyone new is introduced, they are more competent than the previous folks. it makes things boring. Barclay was so brilliant because he was a normal, self doubting human, dropped in the midst of TNG's hyper competence.

Reginald_Barclay.jpg

like, i am trying to think of the closest parallel to him in SW and am coming up blank. everyone is either too good at their jobs or so confident that it doesn't matter.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
heh yeah but Barclay wasn't a full on comedy character. the rest of the crew respected him despite his flaws. with Jar Jar even Qui Gon Jinn grabs his tongue cos he is getting annoying.

MetalAlien

Banned
babylon 5 is the real answer
Comet TV. I recently cut the cord on cable (switched to antenna) and found a channel called Comet TV that plays B5 re-runs. They also did a Godzilla marathon over the weekend!

Oh and Star Trek all day. I see a Star Wars movie I change the channel.

edit I like the original trilogy but not the enhanced versions, I would watch the original version with all it's matte lines and total lack of CGI but I do not watch the craptastic versions we have today.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
Neither in their current incarnations. Trek used to be more cerebral. Star Wars was The Hidden Fortress in space. Now Trek is all these explosions and mindless space battles with some technobabble thrown in for good measure and Star Wars is an even worse version of The Hidden Fortress in space. I would rather watch an old Star Trek episode than sit through anything other than Empire Strikes Back. The main Star Wars series is like 1.5 good movies out of 8 soon to be 9 movies. It is a dumpster fire.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Battlestar Galactica. In all seriousness. Trek. All day. I've found so little of Star Wars to be actually good. Trek also represents a more ideal future which i've always loved

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I always liked the world and characters in the original Star Wars trilogy and a lot of the books. That said, aside from a few classic episodes and a few books, I haven't paid much any attention to Star Trek. Just seemed like more of a drama series and less fun, colorful action. And from what I've heard they've both fallen victim to woke-culture lately, so I'm probably done for good with both franchises.

How does Battlestar Galactica compare? Completely different? I have always been more fantasy > sci fi so am woefully behind on these things.

nikolino840

heh yeah but Barclay wasn't a full on comedy character. the rest of the crew respected him despite his flaws. with Jar Jar even Qui Gon Jinn grabs his tongue cos he is getting annoying.
I Remember this funny scene :D but i Remember Is part of the barclay's hologram story (i suppose)

Nymphae

Banned
Space based Sci fi love ranking by me:

1 Babylon 5
2 Star Trek
3 Battlestar
4 The Expanse
5 Star Wars
6 Farscape
7 Stargate
8 Firefly
9 Red Dwarf

Love them all, glad they all exist.

Farscape is great. Did you ever watch Lexx? Really strange Canadian/German production, one of my favourites as well.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Star Trek = actual sci fi.

Star Wars = fantasy in space.

The fact people can travel FTL and have laser guns is about all they have in common. I don't really see one as better than the other, just different shit that I like in both cases.

You do realise that both are actual science fiction? Just that one is more grounded in reality. The Matrix is actual science fiction too.

Thaedolus

You do realise that both are actual science fiction? Just that one is more grounded in reality. The Matrix is actual science fiction too.

How about:

Star Wars = Fantasy with sci fi elements

Star Trek = Sci fi with fantasy elements

Javthusiast

Banned
Prison Battleship is the best sci fi series, then comes The Expanse.

(do not google prison battleship or the original name kangoku senkan at work):messenger_beaming:

buizel

Banned
It was Star Wars, and then as I got older it was Star Trek, and now I just want to kill myself.

That seems highly illogical. If youre serious about the last part - dont man, I care about you, and so do people here. If you ever want to chat or someone to just unwind or play a game with hit me up, don't feel like youre alone friend! :)

royox

Star Wars: heroes that actually fight, actual and very massive Space Battles involving lots of space cruisers and fighters, massive ground battles with loads of people firing here and there, epic Lightsaber duels, epic OST. Huge lore and memorable characters.

Star Treck: 90% of the action is people sitting in a Space ship giving orders to other people. Space battles are 1 standing still ship vs 1 standing still ship, people walks like they have a stick inside their asses. Boooooooooooooooring yara yara uninteresting scientist crap. Firefights are 1-2 people shooting at 2-3 people very slowly. Everybody dresses the same with diferent color patterns.

When I watch a show/movie I want to be entertained. Star Wars entertains me. Star Treck bores me to hell.

Oberstein

Is that really a question? When Star Wars gets " The Inner Light ", " Duet ", " Latent image " or other episodes of this depth, we will be able to talk about a possible duel.

In the meantime, it's not a fight but an execution...

Kenpachii

Reginald_Barclay.jpg

Dude was the worst.

EekTheKat

For me, classic Star Wars by a hair over classic Trek, though it's more of a Coke or Pepsi choice for me.

Current Star Trek and current Star Wars seems like CGI rendered Coke and Pepsi approximations - both seem familiar but do not taste quite right.

Top Bottom