• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Picard |OT| The Next, Next, Next Generation

VertigoOA

Banned
Wasn’t too crazy about this episode. It’s moving a bit slow. I keep wanting more but... I’m still enjoying it but something more needs to happen. Side effect of not being to able marathon the whole thing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Omfg this show is so fucking bad episode 3.
Turned it off after 10 min.

I can't i am out.
After that episode 2 and now this?

Bye

JJ trek and Discovery: OMG So much action! Where is the character and world build?

Picard: OMG so slow! When does stuff happen? Where is the action???

Trek fans in a nut shell.
That's what they call "pacing".
Seems they both got it wrong a bit for the general audience.

(personally, I am okay with both of them. I don't expect much out of a ST series these days, and I get what I expect out of Orville.)

Son Tofu

Banned
JJ trek and Discovery: OMG So much action! Where is the character and world build?

Picard: OMG so slow! When does stuff happen? Where is the action???

Trek fans in a nut shell.
I think those are both fair complaints about both shows. Discovery does feel like a spastic running through a crowded mall.
Picard, on the other hand, feels like an old man stuck on the bowl who keeps telling his day nurse that he'll be off in another minute, and the first time he said it was 30 minutes ago.

mcjmetroid

I don't know guys I'm enjoying it so far. It's starting to explain itself slowly. I won't make a final judgement until I see the whole series.

By the way how many episodes are there going to be? Last I checked 5?

I like the slow burness of it. Discovery. Blew it's load extremely past in its first series, I literally never came back for a second. This is a far better show.

I don't know guys I'm enjoying it so far. It's starting to explain itself slowly. I won't make a final judgement until I see the whole series.

By the way how many episodes are there going to be? Last I checked 5?

I like the slow burness of it. Discovery. Blew it's load extremely past in its first series, I literally never came back for a second. This is a far better show.
Yeah I've only see the pilot of Picard bur it is leagues better than Discovery so far. I despise that show so much.

eot

Banned
I don't have a problem with it going slow, but I thought Ep 3 once again had poor editing. For example cutting from Raffi reading a dossier to Picard being beamed up to the ship, that was a very awkward cut. I think the scenes that just contain Picard and a single supporting cast member, disappointingly, don't work that well. I like Patrick Stewart - either it's his acting or the script, but those scenes aren't doing it for me. Finally, the pacing of Ep 3. was once again all over the place, for which I largely blame the editing. It just doesn't build to the closing scene, everything feels so abrupt.

Take the scenes with Soji, you have this scene with the ex-Borg people freaking out at her, then next scene she's getting controlled by some holovid message, then she's seduced by Narek, who finally has this verbal fight with his sis. What is the narrative through line there? The Borg thing is supposed to add more intrigue to her backstory, and I think it's fine, but then to have this unrelated mystery manipulator totally distracts from that. Don't stack spooky on top of spooky, it's too much. So then they immediately cut to Narek entering her room, and the vibe of that scene is totally different again, now they want us to worry about how he's manipulating her. All those scenes are fine on their own (though I thought the seduction was kinda lame tbh), but they all undermine each other when juxtaposed because they have no room to leave any impact.

After we're supposed to be concerned about Soji, in three different god damn ways, we're now also supposed to have a triumphant, fan service, fist pump-moment with Picard saying "Engage!". You can't end the episode on both those emotional points! It simply doesn't work, for me at least.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Am I the only one worried about Patrick Stewart? The raffi flashback scene seemed a little off to me. Stewart seems absent, just reading his lines. He's often very tired. I hardly see him doing a season 2 like that.
In any case, they should have done 2 episodes instead of 3 to launch the series.

nikolino840

Omfg this show is so fucking bad episode 3.
Turned it off after 10 min.

I can't i am out.
After that episode 2 and now this?

Bye
Becouse Is like a long movie not episodes with a start and an end,you have to thankyou Netflix i think for this :D

nikolino840

Is watchable for now 👍
Picard Is picard but old ( Picard was not Superman or Bruce Willis in die hard even on ST next gen)

ManaByte

Is watchable for now 👍
Picard Is picard but old ( Picard was not Superman or Bruce Willis in die hard even on ST next gen)

giphy.gif

GreyHorace

Can I just say how stupid Commodore Oh looked in those fucking sunglasses?

6eddc1111ba2b664190e582596d2b6347329fc50.jpg

What the fuck? When did shades become part of the Starfleet dress code? And come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear shades in any Star Trek series until now!

It's obvious they used those to evoke her role as a government spook, like the Starfleet's very own Men In Black. Now they're cribbing stuff from other scifi series! Lol

Fuz

Banned
Can I just say how stupid Commodore Oh looked in those fucking sunglasses?

6eddc1111ba2b664190e582596d2b6347329fc50.jpg

What the fuck? When did shades become part of the Starfleet dress code? And come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear shades in any Star Trek series until now!

It's obvious they used those to evoke her role as a government spook, like the Starfleet's very own Men In Black. Now they're cribbing stuff from other scifi series! Lol
I honestly thought the actress had some problem with her eyes (a stye or something like that maybe) and they decided to fix it with the shades.

Shouta

I enjoyed ep 3 but it definitely is a modern show. It's got the running narrative but it's not giving us enough to make each episode standout thus far. The pace of the main plot is maddeningly slow and the only thing that we were given any sort of insight to is something most of us would have guessed already based off the bog standard tropes they're using. I do like the smaller stuff though. I really wish they had taken the framework of Xindi arc from Enterprise with each episode having a proper little story in it that connected to the story forward as well as making each episode interesting, as crazy as that sounds.

Xenon

Jay El is the same amount of syllables as Jean Luc... Sadly that stayed in my thoughts more than the plot. Not horrible, just not very good.

nikolino840

I enjoyed ep 3 but it definitely is a modern show. It's got the running narrative but it's not giving us enough to make each episode standout thus far. The pace of the main plot is maddeningly slow and the only thing that we were given any sort of insight to is something most of us would have guessed already based off the bog standard tropes they're using. I do like the smaller stuff though. I really wish they had taken the framework of Xindi arc from Enterprise with each episode having a proper little story in it that connected to the story forward as well as making each episode interesting, as crazy as that sounds.
Well we are in 2020...
Even st next gen was modern in that time
Roddenberry argued a lot for this becouse the production staff says that people wants more action stuff and roddenberry's idea was a more chill serie like TOS

An advice that i can Say Is to Watch the two documentaries on Netflix,the one made by the son of Nimoy and the other by Shatner

jdforge

Banned
Contrary to popular opinion I’m really enjoying this. I love how it’s slow paced.

Picard always adored Data. He was at times like a father figure to him throughout TNG. In the same way a father would teach his Son right from wrong, Picard would often help Data see and begin to feel the humanitarian nature of things.

Picard has obviously had a lot of time to contemplate his life, retired from Star Fleet and working on his farm. And in that reflection it’s clear he’s realised just how special Data was to him. We are all guilty of not knowing what we have until it’s gone. Picard I’m sure feels guilt over Data giving his life to save him.

Really not sure how anyone is able to draw a conclusion that Picard and Data weren’t close friends.

Durask

It’s OK. Good enough that I feel like watching episode 4 (as opposed to say the Witcher where I don’t have any desire to watch past episode 2).

Many strong womxn, however half of them are like really evil.
So it is good strong womxn vs evil strong womxn with Picard shuffling somewhere in the middle and drinking way too much tea (I assume they solved the enlarged prostate problem in the 25th century I guess).

As popcorn entertainment not bad at all.

Ma-Yuan

I honestly thought the actress had some problem with her eyes (a stye or something like that maybe) and they decided to fix it with the shades.

There is a Theory she is from the Mirror Universe and its a Discovery tie in >< Anyway all outcomes for those shades are stupid :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz
my take:
* sooooo sloooooow. I hope something happens soon.
* Stewart is too old. Looks feeble.
* strong women, but all men act like weak betas.
* Soji/Daj has a weird face.
* Love the ships captain. Liked the actor a lot in Salvation, which was unfortunately cancelled.

I have some mild hopes for the show to get its pace, though.

Ballthyrm

I despise the Fact that Alex Kurtzman thinks he has to shit all over Starfleet to make whatever he is doing interesting. Talk about throwing the baby with the bathwater. He threw the whole damn bathtub away.

This nihilistic version of Star Trek is kind of sickening. ST Discovery and this show is the 14 year old definition of Edgy (the system is fucked, secret cabals are running everything).

All we get is endless Plot that goes nowhere very very slowly. Almost no character development.
And cardinal sin of Star Trek, no Ideas, no challenges for our heroes to overcome, only other bad people (how quaint)

Seing Picard fight hand to hand is also the wrong idea of the character. I mean we got an entire episode about it. How he grew from hand to hand hot blooded Picard into master diplomat.

This fake diversity is also offensive when it was done so well in Deep Space 9.
Diversity is now different shade of women ? More or less all following the model of Strong Woman from South Park.

latest

What Star Trek desperately need is good Writers with good ideas. They are reformulating what Star Trek was saying 50 years ago, back when there was a fight to be had for minorities, or gay rights, or woman rights.

Instead of being on the edge of issues, they are just another echo chamber. All they are doing is safe, it ask nothing of the viewers, neither in science , in challenging moral question ,or visions of the future

PS: Watch the Orville, it's not perfect but at least they are trying.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I keep watching star trek hoping to watch again something so awesome and baller as TOS but shit keeps getting worse. Discovery was dumb as fuck but at least there was fx and eye candy. Picard is like watching the golden girls.

The Orville is the best Star Trek show on TV atm...

Stouffers

Banned
I keep watching star trek hoping to watch again something so awesome and baller as TOS but shit keeps getting worse. Discovery was dumb as fuck but at least there was fx and eye candy. Picard is like watching the golden girls.

The Orville is the best Star Trek show on TV atm...
The dialogue feels too forced, self-important and unearned. There’s also way too much of it. I almost barfed when the doctor said “who is this lady?!!” NOTHING I’d SEEN gives me the impression she should be wow’d by this person. Also, the doctor hadn’t SHOWN this part of her personality before. It was like a bubbly bout of tourrets.. like the redhead from Discovery.

I’ve noticed this trend in a lot of modern “adventure” shows.. especially the short Treks and a lot of Discovery. At best the dialogue feels flat and generic. It’s eye-roll- inducing most of the time.

I really want to like this show. I’m a huge Trek fan. I’ve found ways to enjoy Discovery because it was removed enough for me to accept it as its own thing. Now, though, they’re fucking with Picard. They need to get their shit together, hire the Orville writing staff wholesale and set this shit straight.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The dialogue feels too forced, self-important and unearned. There’s also way too much of it. I almost barfed when the doctor said “who is this lady?!!”

It feels like they forgot that you can write dialog that moves the plot and build solid characters at the same time.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I knew it would get worse... and now it has. Episode 4 is absolute trash, irredeemable in every way.

Stray observations (spoilers, if you think there's anything worthwhile in this franchise to be spoiled):

- a LOTR village of ninja Romulan nuns is just about the stupidest idea I've ever seen on a Trek show;
- it's clearly not Picard that visits that place and gets to know that kid... it's Patrick Stewart. Picard is still nowhere to be seen;
- let's go ice skating in the Borg cube, just my asian gf and me, the indie rocker emo Romulan guy;
- What's the deal with this show and not understanding how everyone lives in space in the TNG timeline? This has been bothering me since the pilot--when Picard has to get "cleared" for interstellar travel, and when he looks shocked that the girl's sister "isn't on Earth" during the second episode. Um... Starfleet isn't Earth, it's all over the place, and TNG / DS9 showed civilians traveling around to starbases like it was a normal activity for everyone. In this episode, that cybernetics researcher girl talks about how space travel is much more boring "than she expected".... uh? What? If she was even mid-tier in cybernetics, she'd had been traveling between systems and starbases for conferences on a regular basis. What bizarre notion of Trek do the writers hold onto, where space travel is just for the few and the Federation is basically Earth? What the hell?

It's just trash now, nothing can save this show.

mcjmetroid

I knew it would get worse... and now it has. Episode 4 is absolute trash, irredeemable in every way.

Stray observations (spoilers, if you think there's anything worthwhile in this franchise to be spoiled):

- a LOTR village of ninja Romulan nuns is just about the stupidest idea I've ever seen on a Trek show;
- it's clearly not Picard that visits that place and gets to know that kid... it's Patrick Stewart. Picard is still nowhere to be seen;
- let's go ice skating in the Borg cube, just my asian gf and me, the indie rocker emo Romulan guy;
- What's the deal with this show and not understanding how everyone lives in space in the TNG timeline? This has been bothering me since the pilot--when Picard has to get "cleared" for interstellar travel, and when he looks shocked that the girl's sister "isn't on Earth" during the second episode. Um... Starfleet isn't Earth, it's all over the place, and TNG / DS9 showed civilians traveling around to starbases like it was a normal activity for everyone. In this episode, that cybernetics researcher girl talks about how space travel is much more boring "than she expected".... uh? What? If she was even mid-tier in cybernetics, she'd had been traveling between systems and starbases for conferences on a regular basis. What bizarre notion of Trek do the writers hold onto, where space travel is just for the few and the Federation is basically Earth? What the hell?

It's just trash now, nothing can save this show.
Ya I've been noticing this a lot too.

I also laughed at a small part in the first episode where Picard goes to Starfleet HQ in a transporter door device ( I'm sure you remember it looked bright and fancy) and stops and pauses and looks at the all the advanced technology, like the flying ships and all that........
screen-shot-2019-10-06-at-11.02.54-am-e1570387237940.png

annnnnd THEN just walks through a push door...
.have you ever seen a regular non automatic door in Star Trek?
I would expect the StarFleet Headquarters to have automatic doors and not look worse than an airport reception inside.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
On social media I've noticed the shills defenders of this show constantly propping up Michael Chabon (who singlehandedly wrote episode 4... what an embarrassment), to say that only "toxic" fans hate this series and that it's impossible to ignore what a highly commended and talented writer he is.

I do wonder why he's so incredibly awful at writing this show, given his accolades. But it's not even possible to compromise my view here--no matter how hard to try to like his, watching a troupe of Romulan nun-ninjas on this corny planet where Picard has a mentor relationship established with a kid by like 30 seconds of out of character screen time... it's just awful. It's not even good as generic sci-fi, if I turn off my knowledge of Star Trek. I'm wondering why Chabon is so damn terrible.

Ballthyrm

I also laughed at a small part in the first episode where Picard goes to Starfleet HQ in a transporter door device

The whole thing was Cringe, like the receptionist doesn't know who the most Famous Starfleet Captain is.
I mean it is not like Picard showed up on every news channel the previous episode.

The writers are so lazy they can't even keep consistency from episode to episode ...

Last edited:

ManaByte

Ya I've been noticing this a lot too.

I also laughed at a small part in the first episode where Picard goes to Starfleet HQ in a transporter door device ( I'm sure you remember it looked bright and fancy) and stops and pauses and looks at the all the advanced technology, like the flying ships and all that........
screen-shot-2019-10-06-at-11.02.54-am-e1570387237940.png

annnnnd THEN just walks through a push door...
.have you ever seen a regular non automatic door in Star Trek?
I would expect the StarFleet Headquarters to have automatic doors and not look worse than an airport reception inside.

That's the Anaheim Convention Center. HATE that they used that for Starfleet.

Son Tofu

Banned
Episode was godawful. I have to stop watching now, or I won't be able to watch TNG anymore without thinking about this shit fest. Complete and total shit.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Don't like the show. I agree that Picard looks very feeble. It's almost sad watching him act his way through the series now. Pacing is too slow and the story generally uninteresting. Won't be watching anymore myself.

Reactions: eot

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been enjoying this every week. Sir Patrick Stewart's acting is phenomenal, as always. The new characters are interesting (for the most part) and the cameos so far have been really good but not driving the story (which I consider to be a good thing).

You guys are looking at TNG / the movies with giant rose colored glasses. It was always pretty goofy / cringe.

Shouta

I think the worst part of the show so far is the Soji and Narek personal interaction stuff. It's just awful. It's a shame because it's connected to the more interesting part of the show right now but you have to suffer through those two.

Episode 4 was okay. Some hokey ass writing in parts still but I liked some of the concepts presented and most of them jive with Star Trek in general. The episode really didn't progress much either other than to get Romulan Legolas as a part of the team. I did have a hearty laugh at the hologram calling the ship that came in at the end hideous. it looked lot like something that Tom Paris would have designed since it looked like the Delta Flyer so it felt like a dig at Voyager.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

It's really bad. I actually liked it for a short time with episode 2, after one disappointed me. But three and four bring it right back in the trash pile for me. I wanna like it but I can't. :(

Fuz

Banned
I have a lot to say about the show so far, and I have a lot of points to make especially over the latest episode.

But I'm too lazy.

Meh.

I've been enjoying this every week. Sir Patrick Stewart's acting is phenomenal, as always. The new characters are interesting (for the most part) and the cameos so far have been really good but not driving the story (which I consider to be a good thing).

You guys are looking at TNG / the movies with giant rose colored glasses. It was always pretty goofy / cringe.

Movies yes, TNG (post S1) hell no. Even episodes with goofy characters like Lwaxana Troi were some of the most powerful in television.

The movies were almost entirely dogshit and tried to turn all the characters into action heroes. TNG and Picard (the character) were always about thoughtful solutions to problems.

Atrus

Gold Member
Finished the 4th episode.

I find it funny that Picard is trying to find Dajj with the same sense of urgency that I had trying to find Ciri in Witcher 3. I guess picking up Legolas was worth it, though its questionable why you'd need an expert swordsman in an era where everyone shoots laser beams of one type or another.

None of the aliens seem very alien at all at this point and more or less have different traits than in the tv shows/movies.
Shouldn't Commander Oh be talking like she has a stick up her bum like Tuvok, Spock or T'Pol? Isn't that a recognizable thing related to their species? How is she different from the Romulans now?

Stouffers

Banned
I thought ep 4 was the best one yet. I took the docs comments on space as sarcastic and just making conversation. Its possible she spends most of her time on earth and only travels on occasion.

Frakes knows Trek and I thought he did a great job.

I give this episode 3 Riker-chair-maneuvers out of 4.
D_SOnBqWkAAj_ew.jpg

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Episode 4: the show writers discover dungeons and dragons.

Picard, find noble heroes to join your quest.

Episode 5: the show writers discover call of Cthulhu.

Roll for sanity, Picard

Last edited:
Top Bottom