• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Star vs. Forces of Evil' Debuts Disney's First Gay Kisses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/entertain...-Debuts-Disneys-First-Gay-Kiss-415242133.html

Disney’s first gay kissing scene aired during an episode of "Star vs. Forces of Evil" earlier this week.

At a concert, the main character, Star, and her friend were surrounded by couples who were kissing, including two men and two women.

Reaction to the scene was largely positive. However, Disney is getting backlash for a separate attempt to show characters exploring their sexuality.

Bill Condon, director of the live remake of "Beauty and the Beast" said that LeFou, played by Josh Gad, would be confused by his sexuality in the new movie, USA Today reported. While he said he doesn’t want to give away what happens, he called it "a nice, exclusively gay moment in a Disney movie."

PSqueak

Banned
im surprised it took this much for american media to report, back on the OT for the show people quickly pointed out mexican and other Latam media reported it within a day of the episode airing.

I for one welcome our gay cartoon overlords

*adds Star to the list of cartoons made in the last two decades I need to watch*

Despite my avatar i only got into it (and caught up) mere days before said episode, im going to be honest with you, first season can be hard to stomach but towards the end of the first season it really takes off.

It sucks that it was in the background but at least it's progression. That being said, more people need to watch this show. The second season is good.

It sucks that it was in the background but at least it's progression. That being said, more people need to watch this show. The second season is good.

One of the major side characters(Starfan13) expresses her full on crush on Star on one episode.

iTg6Aeo.png

Beth Cyra

Okay not judging one way or another but just want to clarify given the way that is worded it's not a MC that is exploring but a background character right?

One of the major side characters(Starfan13) expresses her full on crush on Star on one episode.

Yeah but they play it up comedically as a fan crush like her name, not explicitly romantic love.

Okay not judging one way or another but just want to clarify given the way that is worded it's not a MC that is exploring but a background character right?

Yeah, it's a background character.

Illucio

Banned
Didn't catch that, great progressive move!

Just read an article of a Mom boycotting Disney World and the Beauty and The Beast movie because it was against her religious beliefs. Just nonsense the prejudice and hatefulness coming from these people. I'm glad Disney is pushing for acceptance of all kind.

Beth Cyra

Yeah but they play it up comedically as a fan crush like her name, not explicitly romantic love.

Yeah, it's a background character.
Cool that they included them and I'm grateful for that.

However I think time is long past that I'm done celebrating being something that happens in the background after The Legend Of Korra. I think it's time to put up or shut up with a full on gay lead (man, woman or whatever all equal here) sorry but it's just not okay to still be back ground fodder when shit like the CG Strawberry Short cake is cool with Herero romance between leads.

I think it's pretty cool that in 'The Load House' one of the main characters has Two Dads and ever acts like it's normal. There is even an episode where the possibility of them having a baby is focus of the episode and the entire thing is written like it would have been if it was a hetero couple.

ZXZdCyn.jpg

Cool that they included them and I'm grateful for that.

However I think time is long past that I'm done celebrating being something that happens in the background after The Legend Of Korra I think it's time to put up or shut up with a full on gay lead (man, woman or whatever all equal here) sorry but it's just not okay to still be back ground fodder when shit like the CG Strawberry Short cake is cool with Herero romance between leads.

I absolutely agree. Lots of cartoons dance around the idea but never actually go through with it. A lot of it could be attributed to executive meddling such as with Korra but the bottom line is that cartoons should be more willing to push for gay and LBGT leads especially given that there are LGBT children looking for characters to empathize with on screen.

Ogodei

I think it's pretty cool that in 'The Load House' one of the main characters has Two Dads and ever acts like it's normal.

ZXZdCyn.jpg

Clarence is the same way, main character Jeff has two mommies (who seem like an allusion to Cam and Mitchell in Modern Family, just as women, with a stocky brown-haired woman who wears country clothes and a skinny redhead).

Still argue it should have been Mulan/Aurora :)

That said my wife kicks my ass when I spout that shit so they made the right choice here :)

They probably would have went there if they had actually locked the actress down but they don't so she gets bigger gigs elsewhere.

Now she got cast as a main in the X-Men series so she likely won't be back.

Whats this from?
Once Upon A Time.
Dorothy and Red Riding Hood.
tumblr_o5uqjvDPwK1unsbsso6_r1_250.gif

Mulan was also in love with Aurora.

Beth Cyra

They probably would have went there if they had actually locked the actress down but they don't so she gets bigger gigs elsewhere.

Now she got cast as a main in the X-Men series so she likely won't be back.
I won't lie I was totally invested in it and dropped the show when they dropped that plot line.

Shame but glad they got LBGT in somehow.

Alienfan

It's still just breadcrumbs, but at least it's a step. A shame it took this long and a shame the first kiss was a Blink and miss background kiss

I know the stuff about Marco being trans is just fan theorizing (though it has more evidence than most fan theories) at this point, but oh my god if they did that it would be so cool and gutsy.

Amir0x

Banned
Just make Star gay tbh

would already be way out of character i think considering that it was the boys that drove her crazy (literally crazy) in the puberty episodes and oliver or whomever plays that instrument that she had a crush on for the longest and Marco she still fawns over. oh and she dated that Demon boy before she met Marco

I would have been cool if she was gay but I think it's a little late they should have at least been dropping the breadcrumbs of her curiosity by this point.

Disney stopped Gravity Falls from showing something similar not too long ago. It's nice that they're finally making progress, even if they're just taking baby steps.

Psxphile

im surprised it took this much for american media to report, back on the OT for the show people quickly pointed out mexican and other Latam media reported it within a day of the episode airing.
Published on March 2nd, 2017
Only OP is late on this.

I wish this show was half as popular as Steven Universe, it's so good.
It's getting there.

Should be interesting to see what happens when the show returns this summer.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It really is astounding how representational western animation has gotten over the past few years and arguably handling things better then live action is at the moment.

I think Disney had lesbian parents show up in that "Good Luck Charlie" show once. I didn't watch it but I remember conservatives making a huge deal out of it.

Is it more like Steven Universe or Gravity Falls because I love the former and hate the latter.

The show is its completely own thing. Thematically it's closer to Steven Universe what with the whole strange magical being engaging with humans and fighting evil. However it really creates a unique identity around the back end of season 1 and throughout all of season 2. The season 2 finale in particular is just something else.

Tizoc

Disney stopped Gravity Falls from showing something similar not too long ago. It's nice that they're finally making progress, even if they're just taking baby steps.
Pretty sure the police duo had their wedding in the finale, unless i am misremembering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom