• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars '77 35mm restoration released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kinda skeptical that this should replace Harmy's 2.5 as my main copy of Star Wars, but watching them both side by side... I gotta say, the colors and consistency make up for the loss of detail. This is actually really, really nice. It's pretty exciting to finally have a real copy of Star Wars available in higher quality than laser disc. You'd better like your movies nice and grainy if you go this route, though.

Disney needs to cut the shit and give the "vocal minority" what we want already, this is getting ridiculous.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Personally, I wish there was some sort of technologically feasible method of a release that let you toggle any and all of the alterations from over the years. There's a few less invasive alterations in Empire I like for example, as well as the reworked ending from the RotJ special edition.

Yeah, certainly my preferred version of Empire would be the Blu-ray version, with the exception of the ridiculous addition of Vader going back up to his ship, which breaks the pace of the sequence and doesn't even work since it's cobbled together out of unused and very obvious footage of his arrival on the Death Star II in RotJ. It also replaces the gloriously terse, "Bring my shuttle" with the snore-inducing line, "Inform my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival."

Every other change in ESB is an improvement.

It'd be great if, one far flung day, they had a "build your own OT" service where you went to a website and chose all the variables and scene versions you prefer for all three movies, paid for them, and then a custom version of the three films would be delivered to you, either on disc or digital. Charge a premium for it, obviously, but that way everyone's happy.

It's weird that a 35mm home restoration of Empire got out before Star Wars did. (That 'Grindhouse' version is pretty cool, honestly)

Also, it's telling that this guy is dropping it even though he knows he can do more to clean up the image already.

Fans of Harmy might wanna wait until Harmy (who has access to the scans these guys made) incorporates it into his own despecialized workflow, which will likely guarantee it looks better than it currently does now.

I'm not sure Disney has any say in the matter, especially with ANH.

Of course they do. They own Lucasfilm.

The distribution rights issues (which aren't even really issues anymore) have nothing to do with whether or not Lucasfilm ever releases the original theatrical versions of Star Wars, Empire, or Jedi.

Frodo

The worst thing about this is that I'm sure the fan-base would welcome a official release of this with their wallets open... and yet...

Screenshots
xnQfI60h.jpg

QuNIzZbh.jpg

nIPmHOgh.jpg

3kZq0EAh.jpg

lEEAqCCh.jpg

NcID8tBh.jpg

1Shh0uoh.jpg

9CRXPDZh.jpg

xu6n5veh.jpg

uMGrEgbh.jpg

The worst thing about this is that I'm sure the fan-base would welcome a official release of this with their wallets open... and yet...

The question is how big is the segment of that fanbase that would care enough to drop the 60-70 bucks for this, and is it worth catering specifically to them to spend the 5-10 million needed to do this officially?

(probably is, but it also can probably wait considering all the other things they're spending money on right now. It'll happen eventually, I'm sure)

-griffy-

Banned
Is this the best version?

This is probably the best the original, non-specialized film has looked in decades, but it could obviously look better than it does here. Harmy's is probably better, but that's still like a half step away from being perfect since there's some weird masking/compositing of different elements at times, and it's pulled from so many disparate sources that it is a bit inconsistent. But once Harmy combines this into his version that might be as good as it could potentially get.

The question is how big is the segment of that fanbase that would care enough to drop the 60-70 bucks for this, and is it worth catering specifically to them to spend the 5-10 million needed to do this officially?

(probably is, but it also can probably wait considering all the other things they're spending money on right now. It'll happen eventually, I'm sure)

My thinking is it doesn't warrant a standalone release, but it belongs in a big box set where the originals get multiple cuts ala Bladerunner Final Cut's release. Maybe a future anniversary, or when this current trilogy is complete and we get the huge 9-film set.

so what is the difference?
tought Harmy tried to recreate the theatrical releases too?

Question's already been answered: Harmy's trying to recreate the theatricals using multiple sources and all sorts of visual clean-up. These guys have only the one source: Their 35mm film print.

I don't think Harmy's recommendation of theirs over his is a sound one, honestly. 1) it doesn't look as good 2) it DEFINITELY does not sound as good. The audio options alone make Harmy's v 2.5 a better pick.

Despecialized 3.0 (when he incorporates this release's footage into his own) is going to probably be the move.

That's what I would think, too, but why does Harmy disagree?

He seems like a really nice guy, basically. That and I think he thinks people value accuracy of restoration over visual quality, and they probably do, but not at the levels he might assume (or hold himself)

TheXbox

Thing is, when would Lucasfilm even release another Bluray trilogy? The time to do it would've been this past year. At this point they're gonna have home video releases on a pretty regular cadence from now until... 2020?

This is probably the best the original, non-specialized film has looked in decades, but it could obviously look better than it does here. Harmy's is probably better, but that's still like a half step away from being perfect since there's some weird masking/compositing of different elements at times, and it's pulled from so many disparate sources that it is a bit inconsistent. But once Harmy combines this into his version that might be as good as it could potentially get.

Yeah I really like this release because of the fact that it's one consistent source. Nothing recreated by hand, no inconsistencies...just the original untampered film in the best quality it's ever been in.

dan2026

I'll say it again. If mega fans can pull this off at home.

The fuck are Disney doing with their billions and uber studios?

The fan demand is voracious. How has this not been capitalised on?

Hagi

Here straight from the horses mouth

Harmy said:
Actually, v2.5 is probably better quality than this in the scenes where only the BD was used but this is a nice consistent HD transfer with no non-HD materials, so over-all, I’d say it’s better.

Can't wait to download and watch this.

The fuck are Disney doing with their billions and uber studios?

Making infinitely more profitable films and merchandise.

The fan demand is voracious.

Apparently not, but as I already stated upthread:

54-46!

Also, it's telling that this guy is dropping it even though he knows he can do more to clean up the image already.

They had already done significant work on their 2K scans before they got their hands on a 4K scanner and another print.

so what is the difference?
tought Harmy tried to recreate the theatrical releases too?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192359960&postcount=8

Because Despecalized still uses inferior sources in some scenes, this one is consistent.

They had already done significant work on their 2K scans before they got their hands on a 4K scanner and another print.

I know. Doesn't change the fact they know they can do better, and are already working on doing better. Plus the fact this release still isn't visually as good as what Harmy did with the blu-rays, the dvds and some laserdiscs.

Because Despecalized still uses inferior sources in some scenes, this one is consistent.

I'll take minor inconsistencies from time to time with better overall image quality for a larger percentage of the runtime, as well as multiple audio options.

-griffy-

Banned
Thing is, when would Lucasfilm even release another Bluray trilogy? The time to do it would've been this past year. At this point they're gonna have home video releases on a pretty regular cadence from now until... 2020?

We might get a 40th anniversary box set in 2017, and we'll surely get a big box set of the 9 "prime" films (probably one with the anthology films too) at the end of 2019 when Episode IX hits home release.

54-46!

I know. Doesn't change the fact they know they can do better, and are already working on doing better. Plus the fact this release still isn't visually as good as what Harmy did with the blu-rays, the dvds and some laserdiscs.
I like to follow the WIP stuff so that doesn't bother me a whole lot.
I'll take minor inconsistencies from time to time with better overall image quality for a larger percentage of the runtime, as well as multiple audio options.

The fact that we can have a discussion on whether one should watch one version or another is kind of a miracle in itself these days, heh.

TheXbox

We might get a 40th anniversary box set in 2017, and we'll surely get a big box set of the 9 "prime" films (probably one with the anthology films too) at the end of 2019 when Episode IX hits home release.
Nah, they gonna reel you in first to get the individual release of IX. Then in 2020 they do a sequel trilogy box set. Then, maybe, they do a 9 film set, which most likely will not include any "despecialized" movies - although that would be a nice incentive to get super fans to drop $200 or whatever outlandish price tag that thing will carry.

zoozilla

Well, of course it won't look quite as detailed as the blu-ray, which uses a scan from the original negatives.

But the funny thing is that even that doesn't look as good as it should - the master they've used for all the special editions is an old HD master, not a 4K master like most new restorations. Of course the company line is "the original negatives don't exist anymore," but I find it hard to believe that no negatives exist for any of the movies.

I do have to wonder at how much money studios make from restorations - Universal recently released a new 4K+ restoration of Spartacus and Paramount released a new restoration of My Fair Lady, which replaced older Blu-ray releases. I'd really be interested to see how those sold, though. Obviously an unaltered original trilogy SW release would blow those away.

It's just way too grainy for me:

Film is grain, man.

Hagi

If anyone would like to be so kind as to pass this on feel free to pm me. Can't seem to find it on the usual channels.

Skinpop

you mean 5-10 million including marketing and all that I guess? The restoration process would not be so costly.

Well, of course it won't look quite as detailed as the blu-ray, which uses a scan from the original negatives.

It's not just that, it's that they're also (I believe by their own admission) a little less experienced at how to clean and enhance the images they're pulling into their workflow than Harmy is. Yes, they're limited by their source being 2 or 3 generations removed from the negative, but this is basically a first draft.

you mean 5-10 million including marketing and all that I guess? The restoration process would not be so costly.

I was figuring some basic manufacturing/marketing in there, yeah, but a complely new restoration/transfer would probably cost more than it seems you're expecting there, too.

The 4k scans they just did are not the theatrical versions, either.

Honestly, if they wanna do this faster/cheaper - they would probably do better to take a page out of Harmy's book, and use those files and their assets at Lucasfilm to Despecialize what they've got on their own.

injurai

Banned
Gemüsepizza;192360255 said:
Sorry but this looks just bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo24gFFk7WM

Really?

Gemüsepizza;192360981 said:
You think the bottom part looks better than the top part?

The BD is always going to have more details, but the restoration has more accurate colors.

Prior to this the only theatrical re-release was the 2006 bonus DVDs which were sourced from terrible Laserdisc transfers.

This is the best version of the movie to date in its original form.

The knee jerk reaction is to say the top looks better. But the bottom is more natural and closer to the actual film as it was intended.

That's the point.

The bottom frame is the correct and restored version. It's fits in with the overall washed aesthetic of the Original Films. It's those saturated deep blues which were featured in the BD release. Just look how awful the sky looks as a deep blue.

Defend the BD release thinking it's the restored version bruhs. (54 and Fried Food get it at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom