• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 10th Anniversary | Before the dark times. Before the Empire.

Timu

I got this at release and loved it, and it's sequel as well, some of my fav multiplayer shooters to date still.

I absolutely adore the first two Battlefront games and I have faith that the new Battlefront will deliver, but sadly we may not experience it until 2016 (judging by the lack of media and Battlefield: Hardline's pushed back release date). But then again, more development time, the better.

Only played the first Battlefront on the Xbox. Had sooo much fun with it, even just playing with the AI kept me busy.

DICE please don't screw this up.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I also want to mention that I find the thread title amusing because as the first Battlefront was wrapping up, LucasArts was about to enter its first major round of layoffs and would shrink down by a large margin. Within a couple months, with Republic Commando wrapped up, the company would be down to just 6 engineers on staff.

So in some ways you could consider Battlefront as the herald of the dark times. Also some could consider the success of BF1 and BF2 as what helped spark the downturn of the company, depending on your point of view. The sales success of the games would help shape and form some of the strategic decisions made by upper management, which wasn't necessarily a good thing given the rocky development cycles the games went through. Throwing a bunch of bodies at something and working a bunch of hours won't always pull you out of the fire or cover for poor schedule management.

CamHostage

Well, many of us felt both games were a solid 7 out of 10 at best which is also where some of the disconnect is coming from.

Having played some Pandemic games I'd call total aces, I could see why you guys were hard on yourselves.

I also want to mention that I find the thread title amusing because as the first Battlefront was wrapping up, LucasArts was about to enter its first major round of layoffs and would shrink down by a large margin. Within a couple months, with Republic Commando wrapped up, the company would be down to just 6 engineers on staff.

So in some ways you could consider Battlefront as the herald of the dark times. Also some could consider the success of BF1 and BF2 as what helped spark the downturn of the company, depending on your point of view...

Even with as many as there are, not enough books have been written about the rise and fall of LucasArts.

Awesome job on the OP. Clean, readable, sexy... and so god damn nostalgic :(

Can't wait for the third game. This franchise was amazing but still as you said had some issues, the formula can be perfected and has room for growth.

Has anyone used XBconnect before? I think I got it setup but I have not idea if it works. Does anyone want to see if it works? I can try to host a game in Battlefront 1 or 2 and see if you can join the game.

XBConnect was easy to setup, here are some instructions:
  1. Download and install XBConnect: Here
  2. Open XBConnect and create a account.
  3. Make sure the firewalls are not blocking the program.
  4. If you get a npptool.dll missing error download and install winpcap: here
  5. The next step is to launch battlefront 1 or 2 on the xbox.
  6. On both Battlefront 1 or 2 at the main menu go to multiplayer.
  7. Then choose system link.
  8. And finally search.
  9. Next go back to XBConnect
  10. Go to the menu bar and select Tools -> Find -> My Console.
  11. A window will popup with a adapter selected .
  12. Click Ok.
  13. XBconnect should find and connect to your console.

So yeah if anyone wants to try and see if this works pm me. I am located in the west coast fyi. If this does work we can try to setup up some match for next weekend if there are enough people.

edit: XBconnect might also work with the Xbox 360 so if there are more people with a 360 and battlefront we could play that way. It could be possible the og xbox and the 360 could play together but I would need to test it out.

MNC

I feel the new battlefront will be a mere shell of what 2 and 1 are.

I was always so pissed the drop ship type vehicles couldn't strafe anymore in 2. I loved being a drop ship in cloud city and geonosis and just flying all about.

CentroXer

Banned
EA and DICE in control... god I want Battlefront 3 to turn out well, but I am afraid after the trainwreck Battlefield 4 was.

What trainwreck? BF4 is still one of the best multiplayer games on PS4.

god, just because BF4 had problems with stability doesnt mean it is a bad game. DICE is still god tier developer when EA doesn't rush them.

feel the new battlefront will be a mere shell of what 2 and 1 are.

because nostalgia. Battlefront 1 & 2 were not that good.

Steel

Banned
because nostalgia. Battlefront 1 & 2 were not that good.

? Opinions I know, but there are still people playing battlefront 2 servers on pc for a reason. These games aren't loved for simple nostalgia. The class balance, the space battles, Galactic conquest, the vehicles, heroes, and how they all manged to coexist without a hint of feature creep is what makes these games special.

Wowza, amazing thread. I actually just re-beat the battlefront 2 campaign last night. On the whole I prefer 2, simply because it just has more content and some reallyyyy good additions (like sprint, thank god), but you're right that it changed some things for the worse. The HUD definitely looks a lot less slicks, the shooting feels a lot less slick, they ditched the AI commands (although they were pretty useless in the first game), and the space battles are a bore despite looking really cool.

So far with the new Battlefront, there has been no mention at all of The Clone Wars era being included. They haven't said it's definitely not in the game, but they have said nothing about it and there has been no sign of it in what we've seen of the game. That along with them saying it's not going to be "Battlefront 3", but rather their own take on the series doesn't give me much hope that they can make a game that has much resemblance to the originals and is actually a good game. Now, i know some people don't really like the Clone Wars as much as the GCW era, but what are peoples thoughts on the game if it isn't included?

I think it won't be a true battlefront game if they leave it out. A proper battlefront game has nothing to do with which trilogy people prefer, the games were about playing what was shown in the movies and that was one of the main selling points of the games. The iconic locations, weapons, characters, vehicles and other things from the movies were all there, and it wasn't just things from one half the star wars saga, it was from all 6 movies. The games taking place in both trilogies was one of the things that made them great. It was one of the main features of the games and so far it seems DICE doesn't care about that and will just drop it like it wasn't important. It's like what they said with Battlefield a while ago, they don't understand what makes the previous games good and try to change everything because of that. It doesn't seem like it's going to be what a Battlefront game should be.

I prefer the original trilogy, but that doesn't mean they should leave out the clone wars or i'd be happy if they did. While the story and characters of the clone wars movies weren't too good, some of the designs and things included were quite good. The movies being bad isn't an acceptable reason for them to leave out what was a big part of the original two games. If it was the other way around, there would be a lot of complaints. No one would defend them if they'd left out the GCW era. What Free Radical was making looked really good and seemed like it would be a true battlefront game that stayed true to the series, they didn't have to remove anything to do that. I'll probably still be getting the new Battlefront even if they don't include it but at the moment i haven't seen much that suggests DICE is going to make actually a game that is anything like the original two. I don't see any reason why it would be alright for DICE to leave out half the game, even if what they do have is good.

? Opinions I know, but there are still people playing battlefront 2 servers on pc for a reason. These games aren't loved for simple nostalgia. The class balance, the space battles, Galactic conquest, the vehicles, heroes, and how they all manged to coexist without a hint of feature creep is what makes these games special.

They really were/are amazing.

Me and my girlfriend at the time became hermits playing this and the sequel. My first introduction to online gaming and was hooked. Please don't mess up DICE.

munchie64

Really amazing OP.

I miss this series so much. The best licensed games ever. I have high hopes for the future, although every now and then I'm sure I'll go back to Battlefront 2.

18-Volt

Good god man, this is a mondo thread, well done!

I would say, though, not to be so quick to dismiss the PSP games. They're certainly compromised technologically but they have add an interesting chapter to the Battlefont saga. Plus, Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron basically is the shipped portable version of Battlefront III (I haven't seen a good comparison of the trailers of BF3 and Elite Squadron but it's got the same mechanics and storyline, even some of the cutscenes from the leaked sizzle video are intact in the released PSP game.) These portable games are stretched thin, but they did some cool stuff, and they meant something to a good number of portable game fans. (I think we can safely keep the DS game out of the conversation though as it was Battlefront in name only.) Don't write them off because they weren't by the main team, otherwise you may as well write off the Free Radical Battlefront III too.

I agree, PSP games were pretty amazing. Third person shooters were usualy hit or miss situation on PSP but Battlefront games nailed the controls almost perfectly. I've played the crap out of BF 2 and Renegade Squadron, they were crazy fun when played online/ad hoc.

I really want EA to make a Vita version of Battlefront 3. They can even hire Rebellion to do this. They really know their way with portable systems.

Renegade Squadron IMO is a really good game, worthy of the Battlefront name. The story was great, the new maps were amazing and also customizing your soldier's appearance and gear was a great new addition to the franchise. The only thing that came short was Galactic Conquest because the AI was not challenging but it did add new stuff that I think were great like galactic sectors, where if you control all the planets in that sector you get to purchase a Hero that gives you a bonus and if you loose one planet in that sector you loose the Hero and need to purchase it again. Also IG-88 is boss dual wielding guns was awesome!

Now Elite Squadron was total crap! it felt like a half made game, the story was dumb and the game felt like a downgrade to Renegade Squadron. The only thing new added to the franchise was melee attacks and space to ground battles in a single match. I didn't even bother with Galactic Conquest but I don't think it add anything good.

This game looks really good downsampled and with lots of antialiasing. Obviously the textures aren't super hi-res and the models are pretty low poly, but it has a really nice and clean art style which helps.

The only problem is the HUD is way too small to be able to make any text out at higher resolutions.

rYdb.jpg

Hisoka

Awesome OP

A decade already huh? Time sure flies.
Dice will make a good job, the only studio out there i would give this IP.

Some of the greatest games ever made. These games were my childhood.

Battlefront 1 was definitely by far the superior game. It had better maps (Kashyyyk and Rhen Var lost some of their maps for no good reason) and it was unbalanced as all hell. Droidekas were OP as fuck, they made a Republic win on maps like Genosis where it was just a big open area really hard to do. They nerfed the fuck out of Droidekas in the next game, they became worthless.

I disagree about the Kashyyyk Docks, though. Yeah at first it drained reinforcements, but eventually the CIS would just capture the beached and the two docks and it'll turn into a bloodbath as all the droidekas would spawn at the docks and all the Republic AI would bum rush the CP's, expecting to be able to take them.

For the PSP games, Renegade Squadron at the very least was still pretty good. It introduced customization and had some really fun maps. The campaign was actually better than the console ones. I don't know about Elite Squadron other than it looked terrible.

I agree that these games came out at the right time; games from this time are really ageless--even if you played them today they wouldn't look terrible like most games from the period right before or right after it.

Lastly, I have no hope for DICEfront. We all know how greedy EA is; instead of having a good amount of fun maps, it's going to have 5/6 mediocre maps up front and EA will have its hand out for more money for more maps. Plus, knowing DICE, even if they get everything else right, it's just going to turn into how people treat BF4 and BF3 today; a hardcore competitive shooter where people squabble over this gun's TTK versus that gun's TTK and it's reload speed and it's firing rate and all that crap. I don't want that shit in my Battlefront, dammit. And you just know they're going to kill third person mode. You just know it. It's going to be a FPS because EA will think that's the only thing that sells.

JDHarbs

For the record, I didn't think the PSP titles were bad because they're not by any stretch. I'm trying them out again on PPSSPP right now. Rebellion did well with what they had to work with, but ultimately they were limited in comparison to the main games. They introduced some great features that I hope to see make their way into the main series, but the PSP just never felt like it was designed with those games in mind. I prefer my twin stick controls and massive scale on a big ass tv with surround sound.

JDHarbs

One of the little things I always loved about the PC version of SWBF2 is how it maps the mouse to your thumbstick when using a controller. Works great with the 360 pad for navigating menus. All you gotta do is map your controls once and then you've got full controller support. No third-party software needed.

One of the little things I always loved about the PC version of SWBF2 is how it maps the mouse to your thumbstick when using a controller. Works great with the 360 pad for navigating menus. All you gotta do is map your controls once and then you've got full controller support. No third-party software needed.

Yeah but it disappoints in that the console UI was much better than the PC one. The PC one looks like a bland mockup whereas the console one felt like an actual game UI. Too bad this was before xinput where devs were able to port 360 controls and UI with ease.

Borman

I am so adding a link to this in the OP.

Go for it. Im the original source of it all. Sad that other "news" outlets made tons of money off of it hah.

Now Elite Squadron was total crap! it felt like a half made game, the story was dumb and the game felt like a downgrade to Renegade Squadron. The only thing new added to the franchise was melee attacks and space to ground battles in a single match. I didn't even bother with Galactic Conquest but I don't think it add anything good.

Elite Squadron is crap because it was what Rebellion was able to salvage from FRD's BF3, with their own twist on it all.

Holy Shit, this is amazing. Well done. I have full faith in Dice. Star Wars Battlefront reboot will be phenomenal. My second most anticipated game after MGS V. Dice is the perfect team to make battlefront. I highly doubt it's coming out in 2015 though.

By the way, if anyone is wondering why I trust Dice with this game, the lead designer on this game is Niklas Fegraeus. He is the guy at Dice who is responsible for making Strike at Karkand, the best battlefield map and one of the best multiplayer maps of all time. He was also one of the main designers for battlefield 2, bad company 1 and 2 and battlefield 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRXnXxG6lUM

Gazzawa

This is the best OP I've ever seen.

Amen.
Battlefront 1 is maybe the first game where the hype truly delivered. All my friends were waiting on getting Gta Vice City but I was fixated on this game. That was truly a great time for games. I'll never forget the low res splitscreen action I used to have on that old Nec portable TV. Wonderful game.

ryseing

Fantastic OP. 10 years...wow. Remember getting both games on release day.

The PSP games deserve some credit IMO. Renegade Squadron was quite enjoyable, and Rebellion managed to pull off combining space and land in Elite. Wasn't a huge fan of the create a class system, but YMMV. You can transfer BF2 and either Renegade or Elite (forget which) to Vita via PS3, and I highly recommend doing so. Play around with the controls and you have yourself a decent shooter.

BF3 is my most anticipated game of next year. Really, really hoping DICE doesn't manage to fuck it up.

For the record, I didn't think the PSP titles were bad because they're not by any stretch. I'm trying them out again on PPSSPP right now. Rebellion did well with what they had to work with, but ultimately they were limited in comparison to the main games. They introduced some great features that I hope to see make their way into the main series, but the PSP just never felt like it was designed with those games in mind. I prefer my twin stick controls and massive scale on a big ass tv with surround sound.

I just tried out Renegade Squadron in PPSSPP--I absolutely agree with you now. It does not hold up with a real controller--it's quite obvious it was really held back by the PSP controls and doesn't work well without that specific control set. Too bad it never got a console companion.

By the way, if anyone is wondering why I trust Dice with this game, the lead designer on this game is Niklas Fegraeus. He is the guy at Dice who is responsible for making Strike at Karkand, the best battlefield map and one of the best multiplayer maps of all time. He was also one of the main designers for battlefield 2, bad company 1 and 2 and battlefield 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRXnXxG6lUM

That doesn't ease my concerns at all.

CamHostage

II agree, PSP games were pretty amazing ... I've played the crap out of BF 2 and Renegade Squadron, they were crazy fun when played online/ad hoc.

I really want EA to make a Vita version of Battlefront 3.

That same idea was one of the few times I ever had the idea strike me, "start a petition NOW!" When Battlefront was announced, I thought it would have made a great Vita game as well as a console release. The PSP games were top-sellers on the platform (odd that they're not so well-remembered, but SWBF2 was I think in the all-time top five for the platform outside Japan, and that Star Wars hardware skin was a big deal.) Vita loves online, Vita is ready to be tested with a variety of engines (though UE3 didn't do it any favors and we never saw Frostbite tested on it,) and Vita needs a brand like Star Wars to keep AAA production alive. It quickly became apparent that this would be a tall order for the platform, but I'd still be super-happy (and feel it'd be a lucrative choice) for EA to do a mobile Battlefront for iOS, Android and Vita as a keystone product on their Frostbite Go or whatever the current mobile engine is. Few brands just sell no questions asked like Star Wars, even on Vita's tough market I feel that's got to be a good brand to bring over.

Top Bottom