• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 Single Player Trailer

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
MP maps are fundamentally different in design. SP maps are more linear and build in intensity as you progress. MP maps have 2 protected endzones acting as spawn points and a central section allowing for back-and-forth attacks. I'm fine with edited versions of those maps that reuse their assets, but not just being plunked down in there with bots and told to "win" the round to advance the story.

Reusing assets != reusing maps.

I dont have a problem with mp and sp maps using the same planets as long as they don't use the same maps.

Well, but we don't know that, don't we?

This started based on the fact that the modes have locations in common.

Can't believe that they're still so hesitant to show gameplay

It's going to play like the multiplayer. How many times do we have to go through this PR cycle with games before people realize? If they don't show it then they don't have confidence in it.

Voidwolf

So many dumb hot takes ITT. Remember back in the day when we played the deep and cinematic campaign in OG BFII? And the non-existant campaign in OG BFI? Good times.

Don't look to Battlefront for an extensive singleplayer Star Wars campaign. This will be a pleasant bonus on top of all the cool stuff we're getting in this game.

Shari

Its because the "red flags" you are "seeing" are a result of Battlefield 1 or other previous DICE campaigns. Since SWBF2's campaign isn't being made by DICE those "red flags" aren't relevant.

Nope I dont have any previous DICE campaign experience because quite frankly haven't played any, just got info off internet that it wasn't worth my time.

My red flags are several trailers while no gameplay is shown at all and a image previously posted showing that there are 4 maps exclusively for the SP (lol, thank you). In short, a whole lot of nothing less than a month away from release.

Thats on my corner, on yours you basically saying this has nothing to do with past SP because its not the same studio, but its same engine and assets and we have no idea of how much budget was allowed.

If you actually take a second to read instead of copypasting the same sentence all over you will find out that no one is questioning the quality of the story that is going to be told within the campaign, doubts come from the gameplay it will feature and the length. And from what we could gather from information and trailers, those questions are totally granted.

Well, but we don't know that, don't we?

This started based on the fact that the modes have maps in common.

No we dont, yet another trailer has gone by and we still dont know. Three weeks from the game's release and we still dont know.

Don't look to Battlefront for an extensive singleplayer Star Wars campaign. This will be a pleasant bonus on top of all the cool stuff we're getting in this game.

Then dont do marketing that will lead to believe this.

I can understand being worried about the quality based on them not demoing a level. The location thing came from a multiplayer focused trailer, so the "and single-player exclusively has these locations" didn't strike me as odd. Overall though they haven't been showing much, and they've shown the same sequences repeatedly, so I'm not expecting it to be bad as much as I'm expecting it to be ridiculously short.

Fair enough. And to be honest I'd be quite happy about this. Short is not bad. Generic and repetitive is bad.

prag16

Banned
Overall though they haven't been showing much, and they've shown the same sequences repeatedly, so I'm not expecting it to be bad as much as I'm expecting it to be ridiculously short.

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of. I expect what is there to be good. But a super-short campaign would be pretty disappointing. But they've mentioned Kylo Ren shows up, so it has to cover a lot of ground in the timeline. This doesn't automatically mean it'll be lengthy, but hopefully it's at least a tiny bit of a sign it's not SUPER short.

Javier23

Banned
You said no one was doing that when it was one of the first posts in the thread.
So one person on the Internet is talking out of their ass. Because obviously when someone says "never", "no one", "everyone", and "always" or uses "literally" for further emphasis he means what he says to a T.

Let's please focus on what's relevant here: we don't know what the SP mode of this game will be like. We don't know if it'll be the best SP a SW game has ever seen or if it will be even worse than that of BF1. We know literally nothing about it because we're only getting cutscenes shown. And somehow I'm the scum of the Earth for being skeptical, not preordering the game right away and waiting to see how it will turn out seeing the precedents in every single game like this.

Its because the "red flags" you are "seeing" are a result of Battlefield 1 or other previous DICE campaigns. Since SWBF2's campaign isn't being made by DICE those "red flags" aren't relevant.

That red flag is relevant, DICE are still the lead. Some others include: Battlefront has never had a real campaign, EA shut down Visceral because SP games are dead to them, no gameplay has been shown yet, single player only maps is a weird thing to specify if it it’s a regular campaign.

Shari

That red flag is relevant, DICE are still the lead. Some others include: Battlefront has never had a real campaign, EA shut down Visceral because SP games are dead to them, no gameplay has been shown yet, single player only maps is a weird thing to specify if it it’s a regular campaign.

While I dont think the Visceral affaire has any relevance here, it might tell about how much money has allowed the studio to make this SP campaign.

Zereta

Hmmm so much of that was re-used footage too, I wonder why we aren't seeing more gameplay gameplay.

Still, its a canon star wars story and I want it. The prequel book was real good.

killercow

Hands-On With Star Wars Battlefront II's Single-Player Campaign:
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...rs-battlefront-ii-single-player-campaign.aspx

Interestingly, some of the firefights here can be skipped, if you are feeling too moral to shoot some celebrating Rebels from the grassy knoll.

While the larger space of Endor does not quite have a Halo-like quality of tackling encounters any way you see fit, there is a lot less linearity to the level design than in the cramped hallways of the prologue chapter. You can sneak around the enemy, attack from behind, or lead a group of pursuers into a small enough space where you can take them all out with a grenade.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Re-used cutscenes from slightly different angle and not a scrap of gameplay. This is gonna be super short or shit or something.

Imagine struggling to make a story based Star Wars videogame. After all the amazing ones in the past. "HOW DO DIS?"

They're 100 % gonna cop out and make the main character join the Rebels aren't they? I hope not, but I'm prepared for the worst.

Kinda wish we got something similar to SWBF2's campaign, where you follow the 501st across the Clone Wars and Civil War, but I can see how that would be considered lazy since it's already been done.

Looks good, not much new to see though...Just glad DICE isn't working on it, they're campaigns have been forgettable since BC2, don't know how either since that one is fantastic.

Don't give a damn about locations since just about every game uses the same locations for SP and MP....

Re-used cutscenes from slightly different angle and not a scrap of gameplay. This is gonna be super short or shit or something.

Imagine struggling to make a story based Star Wars videogame. After all the amazing ones in the past. "HOW DO DIS?"

Preach. It’s. Not. Fucking. Hard.

God, they had to give the Star Wars license to these scumbags.

Voidwolf

Then dont do marketing that will lead to believe this.

They haven't. What part of their marketing has made it seem like we're getting a unique 8-12 hour campaign? Only thing they've bragged about is having a couple of locations exclusive to the campaign. It's not the most clear marketing but they haven't made false claims either. If you follow Dice's track record (yeah they aren't making the campaign but it's still their game) and the history of the Battlefront franchise then common sense should point you in the right direction. At worst, our assumptions are confirmed at release and at best we are surprised with a much better campaign than expected.

Nobody buys these games, or any Dice games, for the singleplayer experience. The people constantly shitposting about it have no reason to do so.

Toxi

Banned
Iden Versio continuing the strange trend of every dark-skinned woman in the Imperial navy wearing a ponytail.

Maybe it's the hip fashion trend of A Long Time Ago.
They're 100 % gonna cop out and make the main character join the Rebels aren't they? I hope not, but I'm prepared for the worst.
It's either that or have her experience a Cienna Ree-style breakdown with the creeping realization that she's on the wrong side.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So they finally make a single-player mode, and they make you play as the Empire? What a stupid decision.

It’s awesome, you get to play with the Enpire’s toys.

Then the Rebels later on.

Yeah, how many SP Star Wars games has there been where you play as the Rebels? Like...all of them (except for Tie Fighter?)

It will be cool to play around as a stormtrooper for a while but theres no way in hell she stays with the Empire by the end of the game. Im guessing right around the mid point she switches.

I really like the protagonist of this campaign (and the actress who plays her) but I hope they don't nerf Luke by allowing her to get the drop on him. Even if she sneaks up behind him, Skywalker should have her disarmed before she knows what's happening.

They gotta sell all the loot boxes or EA shuts down all studios involved.

Also not hope the story gonna be 4 hour of map play and 15 min of cutscences thrown in.

Glass Rebel

The fact that one month to the game we haven't seen a proper gameplay video for the campaign speaks really loud.

I mean, at this point I‘m just hoping for ~2h of cutscenes that we can cut together and call Inferno Squad: A Star Wars Story.

Boss X

Banned
Someone refresh my memory, did the original Battlefronts have stellar AAA campaign like everyone here is wishing this 2017 version will have? Because if I remember correctly it was just stages where you advanced through bots and NO cut scenes, at least on the PSP Renegade Squadron.

^Bots on multiplayer maps with narrated slideshows for cutscenes in the 2005 SWBF2.

So they finally make a single-player mode, and they make you play as the Empire? What a stupid decision.
There are less than a handful of Star Wars games where you play as the Empire.

Plus I'm getting Iden is going to be the new Mara Jade here.

Someone refresh my memory, did the original Battlefronts have stellar AAA campaign like everyone here is wishing this 2017 version will have? Because if I remember correctly it was just stages where you advanced through bots and NO cut scenes, at least on the PSP Renegade Squadron.

Nope, they didn't. They were straight 1:1 MP maps filled with bots.

People are just shitposting / concern-trolling. Guarantee 99% of them were never planning on getting the game in the first place.

FN-2187

Really hope the game doesn't end with you realizing that the Empire is actually bad and swapping sides. I hate it when games do that.

I hope that DOES happen! I want my protagonist to realize that fascism is evil, switch sides and go on a BJ Blazkowicz-style imperial killing spree.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Same cutscene clips we've been seeing for months with a couple gif length gameplay clips. I have no confidence in the campaign being anything substantial at this point. Even BF1 released gameplay footage of the one good campaign mission.

I remember some kind of connecting videos, but most of them were movie clips I think.

There were a couple change ups in Battlefront 2 (the only one with what could be considered a "campaign" aside from the handheld games) from the MP objectives but for the most part, yeah, it was basically just bot mode.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

The console releases had limited cutscenes with mostly briefings tying the combat together. The battlefields were retooled to feel more scripted and filled with objectives that carried a semblance of a narrative throughline. You still experience them in a somewhat similar manner to MP, but it isn’t really the same experience as a mp game given the tweaks.

So no, they never were comparable to an Uncharted or even Jedi Knight-like experience but expectations weren’t at all the same. People were mostly thrilled to get a massively mp experience on console alone and a Star Wars one at that! This was the PS2 era afterall.

Glass Rebel

Not sure what a game that was developed by a different developer, published by a different publisher and released over a decade ago has to do with this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There are less than a handful of Star Wars games where you play as the Empire.

Plus I'm getting Iden is going to be the new Mara Jade here.

So? That doesn't make it a good choice. It actually takes away any interest I had in it. How many people actually watch a beloved movie series like this and root for the bad guys? It makes absolutely no sense from a business perspective.

Vire

Motive, studio under Jade Raymon, written by the guy who wrote Spec Ops: The Line and Mitch Dyer.

Interesting, so this is their first go at bat? Let's see what they got.

The fact that they keep recycling the same footage over and over with barely any gameplay isn't exactly inspiring confidence though.

So? That doesn't make it a good choice. It actually takes away any interest I had in it. How many people actually watch a beloved movie series like this and root for the bad guys? It makes absolutely no sense from a business perspective.

The Empire did nothing wrong.

Don't believe this Rebel Scum.

Toxi

Banned
lol Now that you mention it...
Seriously

sXhL5MD.png

nW3tLrM.png

iUOPJ8h.png

Also Brunson from Rebels, but I couldn't find any pics where her hair is clearly visible.

What's she supposed to do? Unleash it to flow freely? She's in the military after all.
It's not like every woman in the empire is wearing a ponytail though. Hence why it's a noticeable trend here. :p

I mean it's Star Wars, not some generic movie series. People love the Empire. The tech, the aesthetics, the ships, the characters. Why else do you think all of the major cosplay and fan stuff is centered around the Empire?

Top Bottom