• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 Single Player Trailer

I'm still not quite understanding how we're seeing Young Luke (1:15) and Kylo Ren (1:25) in the same campaign?

Is main character a cyborg?
/s

If the feedback on the single player is good, I'm in. I just couldn't make the last one work for me--it was a constant asskicking every time and a perpetual sense that I was some 50-foot tall day-glo laser magnet.

Don’t know what people are complaining about but I thought the trailer was awesome! The music especially!

Not worried about the SP story quality cause it’s written by the same guy that did Spec Ops and Mitch Dyer (who’s a walking SW encyclopedia).

This won’t be anything like SWBF1 “campaign”.

I already liked the gameplay (shooting mechanics) in the beta. I’m just assuming it’ll be about the same.

The whole premise is a bit far fetched for me.

You have such an overwhelmingly villainous force that to even suggest a semblance of goodness is almost comical.

It would be like trying to humanize Nazis.

So? That doesn't make it a good choice. It actually takes away any interest I had in it. How many people actually watch a beloved movie series like this and root for the bad guys? It makes absolutely no sense from a business perspective.

Seriously?

Did you not see Rogue One in the theater?

The audiences were cheering for Vader at the end.

Raptomex

So? That doesn't make it a good choice. It actually takes away any interest I had in it. How many people actually watch a beloved movie series like this and root for the bad guys? It makes absolutely no sense from a business perspective.
The same people who love Darth Vader.

Toxi

Banned
I mean, the other Star Wars Battlefront 2 did it.

It also seems like Iden isn't gonna stay on the side of the Empire forever.

You have such an overwhelmingly villainous force that to even suggest a semblance of goodness is almost comical.

Setting aside the fact that the entire SW universe is far fetched, the notion of the Empire seeing itself as the good guys by attempting to bring order to the galaxy has been a theme explored from the very outset of the franchise.

Obi Wan's entire POV speech to Luke in Return of the Jedi is a reinforcement of this.

Nothing outlandish about it. It can actually be an effective and interesting character arc when done well.

Caffeine

I like the sith, every game with a light side or dark side choice I always go dark side ie kotor, JA.
my favorite movie is revenge of the sith because of the turn to the dark side even before that where the sith rused the jedi into thinking they had control. Up to now the last jedi canon shows a form of the sith has ruled for over 4 decades even with the rebel victorys of blowing up 2 death stars and star killer base. the good guys have been winning minor battles but have barely scratched the war. conflict is what drives the series forward.

Mikey Jr.

Setting aside the fact that the entire SW universe is far fetched, the notion of the Empire seeing itself as the good guys by attempting to bring order to the galaxy has been a theme explored from the very outset of the franchise.

Obi Wan's entire POV speech to Luke in Return of the Jedi is a reinforcement of this.

Nothing outlandish about it. It can actually be an effective and interesting character arc when done well.

If my leader looked like a fucking ghoul, I'd probably rethink my allegiance.

You do realize that there were many Nazi soldiers that were forced into service, right? Also, TFA already humanized the Empire (First Order, whatever) with Finn's character.

Nope, they didn't. They were straight 1:1 MP maps filled with bots.

People are just shitposting / concern-trolling. Guarantee 99% of them were never planning on getting the game in the first place.

Who gives a shit if there was no good SP campaign in the previous games? How is this a an argument against criticism of the game? People simply want a good SP Star Wars game. And what was shown does not exactly inspire confidence, given EA's track record. And for god's sake, please stop with this "different developer" crap. EA dictates what this game will be, and if this game is different than EAs previous output, I wanna see the recipes first.

Hope this'll be good, because the multiplayer seems unfortunately ruined.
The first was a solid foundation, but also basic and flimsy. With a sequel comes the opportunity to address all that, and they very well may have done so, but then they went and spoiled it all by doing something stupid like I loot you.

Toxi

Banned

Unlike the Empire, Nazis actually existed and still exist. And there are decent works that humanize the people who were Nazis... The problem is when those works excuse or validate their decisions and viewpoints. "Humanized" shouldn't mean "softened". Nazis were and are human, and that doesn't make their views or actions any less reprehensible.

When it comes to fictional Nazi analogues like the Empire from Star Wars or Zeon from Gundam, there's a lot more leeway. I'd prefer if those works didn't validate or excuse the actions of those fictional groups (because, you know, they're Nazi analogies), but it doesn't look like Battlefront 2 will do that.

Lost Stars is a good example of the drama you can get from making a story about someone with good intentions serving the Empire, an actively immoral organization.

Are you sure about that? Recall the last 40 years of Star Wars merchandising.

prag16

Banned
Lost Stars is a good example of the drama you can get from making a story about someone with good intentions serving the Empire, an actively immoral organization.

Lost Stars was fantastic. Hoping they do a sequel.

Unmoses

You do realize that there were many Nazi soldiers that were forced into service, right? Also, TFA already humanized the Empire (First Order, whatever) with Finn's character.

I still loved playing Tie Fighter over and over, they did a great job of keeping the theme of "terrorist rebels" against our providing order amidst the galactic chaos.

Voidwolf

I really like the protagonist of this campaign (and the actress who plays her) but I hope they don't nerf Luke by allowing her to get the drop on him. Even if she sneaks up behind him, Skywalker should have her disarmed before she knows what's happening.

My guess is he allows her to sneak up on him. Then he destroys her belief in the Empire's ideals with some Jedi wisdom.

Plus I'm getting Iden is going to be the new Mara Jade here.

What? No way she's Rey's mom.
;)

Keasar

Has there been any actual gameplay footage of the singleplayer at all?

I think the singleplayer is just a collection of cutscenes.

There are tons of games, books, and comics sympathizing with the empire. It'll probably be handled with the same rhetoric as every other Empire story.
A) Grew up in Empire controlled territory. Yay Nationalism.
B) Works for the Empire but hates their occupation. Their fear of retribution or general apathy keeps them at their job.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I really like the protagonist of this campaign (and the actress who plays her) but I hope they don't nerf Luke by allowing her to get the drop on him. Even if she sneaks up behind him, Skywalker should have her disarmed before she knows what's happening.
I watch return of the jedi and I seriously can never tell where these "they nerfed Luke if he's not super OP" thing is coming from. Luke's abilities are hella basic.

prag16

Banned
I think the singleplayer is just a collection of cutscenes.

Can we quit it with this bullshit?

Somebody posted an article with hands on impressions (which nobody seems to have read... too busy firing out sizzling hot takes).

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...rs-battlefront-ii-single-player-campaign.aspx

EDIT: This is older, but parts of the campaign were also shown behind closed doors at E3. Some info here: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/star-wars-battlefront-2-campaign-impressions,news-25280.html

Toxi

Banned
There are tons of games, books, and comics sympathizing with the empire. It'll probably be handled with the same rhetoric as every other Empire story.
A) Grew up in Empire controlled territory. Yay Nationalism.
B) Works for the Empire but hates their occupation. Their fear of retribution or general apathy keeps them at their job.
Lost Stars is fun because it plays with these but doesn't fall neatly into them. There's a character from Alderaan who convinces himself that the destruction of Alderaan was a good thing.

Slythe

I am out on account of my unimpressive experience with the beta, loot box implementation I don't jive with, as well as an inherent lack of desire to support EA's exclusive license with Star Wars.

However, for those that are buying, I genuinely hope this single player campaign is the real deal. If they truly lean into the exploration of the Empire's motivations and perspective, it could be a very engaging story.

As a side note, I really wish Disney would nullify video games from the new "unified" Star Wars canon. Games as an interactive medium simply don't lend themselves very naturally to the strict, all encompassing (borderline obsessive) canon that Lucasfilm has become emphatic about.

The issue of how to implement player agency and narrative choice into these "canon" Star Wars games has got to be a huge roadblock for EA's development teams from a design standpoint.

I watch return of the jedi and I seriously can never tell where these "they nerfed Luke if he's not super OP" thing is coming from. Luke's abilities are hella basic.

He beat an entire army of mercenaries with minimal help and defeated Darth Vader with relative ease at the end of the film.

All of this as a burgeoning Jedi with little formal training.

Luke Unleashed would be no joke. :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
swbf2q5s1s.jpg

frontovik

Banned
Can we quit it with this bullshit?

Somebody posted an article with hands on impressions (which nobody seems to have read... too busy firing out sizzling hot takes).

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...rs-battlefront-ii-single-player-campaign.aspx

EDIT: This is older, but parts of the campaign were also shown behind closed doors at E3. Some info here: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/star-wars-battlefront-2-campaign-impressions,news-25280.html

That was nothing new. I read the article and he is simply regurgitating what the trailers have shown so far. Nothing really stands out gameplay wise, and his highest praise are the graphics.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
He beat an entire army of mercenaries with minimal help and defeated Darth Vader with relative ease at the end of the film.

All of this as a burgeoning Jedi with little formal training.

Luke Unleashed would be no joke. :)
Is that a legends thing or are you talking about Jabba's Palace?

Top Bottom