• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 3 isn’t happening yet because there’s “not the same hunger” for sequels.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We spoke to Dennis Brännvall, design director on Battlefront 2, at Gamescom, and he told us the surprising truth – Battlefront 3 is not part of the deal. “Sequels are probably still viable otherwise people wouldn’t be doing them,” he explains, “but it’s not the same hunger as it used to be.”

“We were so used to the chain of sequels, where we do a sequel then we do a season pass for a year then move onto the next game. I think the industry has changed on that… before it was very transactional and we made the game and we signed up for 4 DLCs and then that’s it. So then you focus on getting value to players out of what they paid for and if there was a system that wasn’t working then you put a pin in that and say we will fix it in the sequel.” Brännvall then confirmed, “this time around we’re not doing it that way.”

“You’ll see us really overhauling bits that aren’t working and not be afraid of changing things, which means that your community is happier because it’s a better game overall.” He then gives an example of the game’s previous “spawnwave” spawning system, which the team removed after player feedback suggested a more team-focused one would be better – so now DICE has made it so players can spawn on teammates.

“We’re not afraid of making those changes, whereas if we’d been working on the sequel and it was just some paid season pass, that would’ve been ‘ok we’re not doing that for the sequel but we’re not gonna change it’.”

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
It's cute that they think their Battlefront is anywhere near as good as the original ones. Nobody wants a sequel from them they wanted it from Free Radical.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Battlefront 1 & 2 are probably my two biggest full price purchase regrets this gen. Beautiful, but deep as a puddle.
I bought Battlefront 1 for like $5 or so and only for the short VR mode.

TimFL

There is a hunger for sequels to good games though. I grew up playing the original Battlefront games, don‘t like the DICE version though so good riddance that they don‘t make a sequel.

Hope EAs license expires soon, what a dumpster fire of a deal. You get all this content to play with and you just shit on it lmao. Only a handful of companies are capable of such fine arts, and I‘m not surprised that EA has mastered it.

Perrott

Gold Member
The truth is that we are just a couple of years away from the contractual end of the EA Star Wars deal, so that's why it makes no sense to release a Star Wars: Battlefront 3 at this point. EA even had to shut down the development of Star Wars "Orca" (an open world take on Amy Hennig's SW) because the scope was so huge that it would've been in production for no less than five years and even if (somehow) they managed to get that game out before 2023, they would have to end the support of the game's GaaS component shortly after launch.

And beside all of that, I think that Andrew Wilson would rather have all of DICE focused on bringing back Battlefield in a big way for the next generation of consoles than spliting the studio's resources once again, which didn't worked at all during this gen (Battlefront/Catalyst/Battlefield 1 and Battlefront 2/Battlefield V).

Kataploom

Gold Member

We spoke to Dennis Brännvall, design director on Battlefront 2, at Gamescom, and he told us the surprising truth – Battlefront 3 is not part of the deal. “Sequels are probably still viable otherwise people wouldn’t be doing them,” he explains, “but it’s not the same hunger as it used to be.”

“We were so used to the chain of sequels, where we do a sequel then we do a season pass for a year then move onto the next game. I think the industry has changed on that… before it was very transactional and we made the game and we signed up for 4 DLCs and then that’s it. So then you focus on getting value to players out of what they paid for and if there was a system that wasn’t working then you put a pin in that and say we will fix it in the sequel.” Brännvall then confirmed, “this time around we’re not doing it that way.”

“You’ll see us really overhauling bits that aren’t working and not be afraid of changing things, which means that your community is happier because it’s a better game overall.” He then gives an example of the game’s previous “spawnwave” spawning system, which the team removed after player feedback suggested a more team-focused one would be better – so now DICE has made it so players can spawn on teammates.

“We’re not afraid of making those changes, whereas if we’d been working on the sequel and it was just some paid season pass, that would’ve been ‘ok we’re not doing that for the sequel but we’re not gonna change it’.”

EA always putting the responsability on the market when they mess it up

Kagey K

Banned
If do like and respect that developers realize that people want more from their games.

Sadly it took games like Minecraft and Fortnite for them to realize.

If this was last gen we’d be on Rocket League 5, Overwatch 3 and Rainbow 6 Siege the Siegest Siege we’ve ever Seiged.

I get that some people get annoyed with GAAS, but they have provided some longevity to make our initial purchase seem worth it over time.

I wish sports games would go the same route.

EDMIX

Likely.

Based on how those titles came out, I think we all knew it was likely going to be 2023, but seeing how EA has DICE doing BFV and then BFVI...maybe everything isn't as set in stone. Maybe they wanted the engine done first for it, already had plans to delay and skip next gen launch and changed things after BFV's launch and maybe that included more time with Star Wars vs a 2020, 2021 or 2022 release.

Maybe they could do 2022, but at the cost of quality and instead plan to use 2022 for either BFVI DLC focus, Titan Fall 3, some other Star Wars game. Who knows.

CamHostage

It's cute that they think their Battlefront is anywhere near as good as the original ones. Nobody wants a sequel from them they wanted it from Free Radical.

I don't know, I never understood why Battlefront fans still cling to the imagination that the Free Radical Battlefront III would have been good...

People wanted another Battlefront from Pandemic, originators of Battlefront, and they were never going to get it.

People think they wanted the Free Radical BF3 because it's easy to pin hopes and dreams on canceled product that never has to prove it's not a disappointment, but you can see the video of the BF3 prototype that they didn't have the feel (albeit it was a pre-public Alpha build,) and more importantly, they didn't have the solution for the ground/air/space mechanism that the game was to be centered on (all that vertical battle area was a boring void until you reached the capital ships above.) Or you can play Haze and realize that they probably weren't going to get there. (I like Free Radical's TimeSplitters a bunch, but that's a different approach to shooters.)

People should have wanted for Rebellion to take over the whole project (which apparently almost happened,) as at least in that case, we would have gotten a shipped game. (Actually, we did get a shipped game, but it was just the PSP version of the project.) It might have been a tackier project (Rebellion never IMO did AAA work, but they have some fun games and they have plenty of TPS gameplay knowhow from years of games like this,) but Rebellion was IMO a more apt choice in the first place over Free Radical, and it probably wouldn't have just been scattered stardust if it hadn't been in the hands of a sinking studio (depending, of course, on if Rebellion could have gotten it out before LucasArts itself sunk.)

The EA approach to Battlefront meanwhile is what it is. I don't love it myself in either game, but I didn't greatly enjoy BF 1/2 on PS2 either, they always looked great but didn't play as well as a DICE shooter (then sadly DICE did their own Star Wars game and it wasn't good for me either.)

Last edited:

Tschumi

Makes sense, recently trends.. the 10s were perhaps the decade of the sequel, until sony captured the imagination with their crazy new/rebooted IPs and exclusives, so it makes sense that they need to reframe their new products a bit..

fart town usa

Gold Member
I played the first one at my nephews and it felt like an E3 demo to me. Game didn't appeal to me at all. Just felt completely empty.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't know, I never understood why Battlefront fans still cling to the imagination that the Free Radical Battlefront III would have been good...

People wanted another Battlefront from Pandemic, originators of Battlefront, and they were never going to get it.

People think they wanted the Free Radical BF3 because it's easy to pin hopes and dreams on canceled product that never has to prove it's not a disappointment, but you can see the video of the BF3 prototype that they didn't have the feel (albeit it was a pre-public Alpha build,) and more importantly, they didn't have the solution for the ground/air/space mechanism that the game was to be centered on. Or you can play Haze and realize that they probably weren't going to get there. (I like Free Radical's TimeSplitters a bunch, but that's a different approach to shooters.)

People should have wanted for Rebellion to take over the whole project (which apparently almost happened,) as at least in that case, we would have gotten a shipped game. (Actually, we did get a shipped game, but it was just the PSP version of the project.) It might have been a tackier project (Rebellion never IMO did AAA work, but they have some fun games and they have plenty of TPS gameplay knowhow from years of games like this,) but Rebellion was IMO a more apt choice in the first place over Free Radical, and it probably wouldn't have just been scattered stardust if it hadn't been in the hands of a sinking studio (depending, of course, on if Rebellion could have gotten it out before LucasArts itself sunk.)

The EA approach to Battlefront meanwhile is what it is. I don't love it myself in either game, but I didn't greatly enjoy BF 1/2 on PS2 either, they always looked great but didn't play as well as a DICE shooter (then sadly DICE did their own Star Wars game and it wasn't good for me either.)

Daaaaaaaaaamn dude. Shots fired. Actually encouraging someone to play Haze....that's cold.
Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

vypermajik

See, for me, I would LOVE more Star Wars. Just not a cookie cutter version of what we got before. More classes, more perks, more dynamic maps -- I think Star Wars is an incredibly bountiful franchise to work from, but they seem to be stuck in a rut when it comes to re-skinning older titles.

MiguelItUp

I want this. Very bad. I'm sure it will happen too. Battlefront 2 going free on EGS, the same actors and actresses that did mocap and voice work suddenly getting back together to do more work. It's definitely going to happen.

Now, what I really want is something that feels straight up like the original Battlefronts, something where you can just enter vehicles as you please. Much like the Battlefield series. Make the classes actually feel more substantial and play a larger role. All DICE needed to do was make Battlefield but throw Star Wars at it, but they tried to hard to make it SO different.

I'm really happy about the part mentioning the sequel distinguishing itself from the previous two games. I want the best Battlefront yet, not a step backward in various ways

I'm in the minority that enjoyed Battlefront 1 and 2 (especially 2). I liked the combat and the heroes vs villans battles were cool.
I'm there with you. I enjoyed them for what they were. I think I enjoyed 2 more than 1 for various reasons. I really wasn't a fan of the whole token system in the first game. But I still grew to enjoy it quite a bit.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

What the fuck happened to DICE? Battlefield used to be the king of large scale multiplayer. Back when it was rumored Star Wars Battlefront was returning - then learning that the makers of Battlefield were going to be making it - people went apeshit. The original Battlefronts were not great - "but now the actual Battlefield guys were going to be making it!"
Flashfoward to years later: the Battlefield series has morphed into gutter trash and DICE's 2 Battlefronts are the definition of mediocre.

This past decade, DICE has only cared about flashy graphics - their gameplay has regressed beyond belief. Their new games are so shallow and flat out not fun. Its well past time to bring back the complexity, depth, and fun of the core Battlefields of the past 1942, BF2/2142/3.

Last edited:

EDMIX

People think they wanted the Free Radical BF3 because it's easy to pin hopes and dreams on canceled product that never has to prove it's not a disappointment, but you can see the video of the BF3 prototype that they didn't have the feel (albeit it was a pre-public Alpha build,) and more importantly, they didn't have the solution for the ground/air/space mechanism that the game was to be centered on (all that vertical battle area was a boring void until you reached the capital ships above.) Or you can play Haze and realize that they probably weren't going to get there. (I like Free Radical's TimeSplitters a bunch, but that's a different approach to shooters.)

Absolutely agreed I think people too many times live with this fanboy rose tinted mindset where they don't want to truly look at what those games were at that time.

Even when those games originally released if you look at the first person shooters that dominated the market stuff like half-life 2, Doom 3 or Halo 2, Battlefront was never even in the conversation of having any fucking quality near those titles.

I find it even funnier when people try to pretend as if Battlefront 3 magically was going to be the Savior for that franchise when the studios who even worked on those ultimately got shut down.

If the games were that good they would not have performed poorly in sales and poorly in reviews and ultimately have the teams shut down. Weather people like it or not What DICE has created Is far superior when you actually look at the ridiculous sales they got and when you actually look at the quality compared to the other top first person shooters that released last generation as Battlefront series is up there with one of the highest quality titles for first person shooters amongst their peers.

It actually has a single player story.... frostbite is an absolutely amazing engine for it and allows it to be one of the best looking first-person shooters during the generation or at the very least deep in that conversation.

That was never the case with the original battlefront games unless someone's really trying to fucking tell me that game was being compared to doom 3 or half-life 2 lol

So like yourself I personally never really cared about the PlayStation 2 entries as I always felt they were below average games and nothing memorable enough to return to compared to the other elite first person shooters that released during that generation, and as much as I like the current battlefront series I still don't like it as much as I like Battlefield but I am however able to recognize the quality is up to par with AAA standards compared to the original battlefront games.

I simply think people can't take that DICE is not only going to have the best selling Battlefront entries but by default the most entries when they inevitably make the third game.

Stuart360

I'm in the minority that enjoyed Battlefront 1 and 2 (especially 2). I liked the combat and the heroes vs villans battles were cool.
A lot of people liked them. Its just some people cant get past the EA hate and loot box/MTX scandal.
I was playing 2 on PC the other day and had no problem getting matches.

Kacho

Gold Member
Modern DICE games are the definition of bland. Strip away the pretty graphics and you have nothing all that interesting. I don’t understand anyone who keeps buying this trash.

Last edited:

dottme

They should be a little more clear. People don’t want a new Battlefront for EA. They messed up two times in a row. The first one the excuse was that they try to get it out quickly. The second one, was there even an excuse?
But a good Battlefront game, that would be great.

Kholinar

Banned
They should be a little more clear. People don’t want a new Battlefront for EA. They messed up two times in a row. The first one the excuse was that they try to get it out quickly. The second one, was there even an excuse?
But a good Battlefront game, that would be great.
I actually have faith in a potential BF3 if DICE makes one. They know they can't pull the same shit they did at BF2's launch, so I expect them to be more charitable with subsequent game launches. I also foresee potential content scarcity as new studios probably won't have the sheer amount of assets that DICE has from making the last two games. The quality of the assets too; DICE actually has photogrammetrical assets from scanning actual, authentic movie props from the OT trilogy.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Things like DLC, expansions, micro transitions extend game life and bait gamers into sticking with the game soon sequels will be dead.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
SWBF2 still sucked even after the updates.

The gameplay is a huge step down from Battlefront 2015 (except for the flying) its not even funny

sick of people saying "it got better" just because they added a ton of content

The loot crates aren't even in my top ten of things wrong with SWBF2 sick of people defending such a crappy game

The gameplay is a huge step down from Battlefront 2015 (except for the flying) its not even funny

sick of people saying "it got better" just because they added a ton of content

The loot crates aren't even in my top ten of things wrong with SWBF2 sick of people defending such a crappy game
Last time I played all of the loot crates were still in the game and people who bought them or just played more hours had a VERY CLEAR advantage over new players, was not even funny. The card system was so trash, the gameplay was so unbalanced in that regard. Also, so many maps had terrible spawns and choke points that devolved in to tight corridor fights with grenades and explosive spamming. The campaign was also very bad too.

Best part of the game was the space battles but that's it imo.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
They need to improve the shooting in the BF games. I don't like it, the best way I can describe it is being too loose.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Wish we could just get a remake of this.

510RB85EF0L._AC_SY445_.jpg

I think the problem with Battlefront is it gets old really quickly. The newer games were graphically beautiful and certainly had potential to be great, but they sort of just felt lifeless. It didn't feel like any passion had gone in to them.

I think they dropped the ball on Campaign mode, too. I much preferred the classic games.

Last edited by a moderator:

V4skunk

Banned
EA are out of touch with reality.
People have been screaming for controllable AT-AT like in the original BF games. Instead we get watered down Battlefield with even more restrictions.
Lets not even talk about how Battlefield has gone down the pan since BF4! Completely ignoring their playerbases demands. Like vehicles spawning at mainbase instead of in a menu etc....

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You can't even set up custom servers or gameplay modes. Games like that I tend to get bored of fast, as they get redundant with rotations and the like.

StormCell

Battlefront 2 is the game that Gamestop basically forced on me as a bonus with my PS4 Pro. Still in the plastic today. I should have sold it but couldn't be bothered to.

MAX PAYMENT

The game was a disaster, of course they won't make a sequel. They did a lot of repairs to the game, but it's still a 6 at best.

Top Bottom