• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II |BETA| Execute Pre-Order 66

hydruxo

I've played one round of strike and it seems pointless. It almost takes longer for the game to begin that you're actually playing it.

I'm missing game modes where you can actually do something by yourself rather than just "oh, you can't do that yet, walk there, do the thing".

I think it's kinda fun but the matches take forever because of the overtime.

JimiNutz

Banned
Weapons have more going for them. You have to compensate for the recoil and the increased projectile spread if you fire for too long. You can't treat the weapons the same like you can in the first game since these weapons have their own patterns.

Having recoil and spread is fine the problem is that you are supposed to be firing laser blasters but in this game it feels like you are just firing regular bullets.

In the first Battlefront you could see your blaster bolts coming out of the weapon and this visual feedback led to satisfying shootouts.

The gunplay is definitely less satisfying in this game so I'm hoping they tweak it so that the visual feedback is better. The lack of clearly visible blaster bolts is killing it for me.

prag16

Banned
Did you play the first game? I loved the first but this BETA is more than likely going to have me pull my pre-order.

Why do people want it to be just a Star Wars skinned Battlefield when that game is very divisive, if people want to play Battlefield then buy Battlefield, I

I did play the first game, and liked it a lot, though the lack of content wore me down after a few months.

This one feels a bit different, but I'm liking this one a lot too. Still getting used to it. The starfighter mode in particular is a massive improvement, taking if from "never touch" in the first game to something I will probably play a decent amount.

But as we've seen there are hard ragers saying it should be just like Battlefield and hard ragers saying it should be just like BF2015. And yet more people taking about anything and everything in between. They really are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Having recoil and spread is fine the problem is that you are supposed to be firing laser blasters but in this game it feels like you are just firing regular bullets.

In the first Battlefront you could see your blaster bolts coming out of the weapon and this visual feedback led to satisfying shootouts.

The gunplay is definitely less satisfying in this game so I'm hoping they tweak it so that the visual feedback is better. The lack of clearly visible blaster bolts is killing it for me.

This x10000.

It completely feels like bullets rather than blaster bolts. It's really rubbing me the wrong way. But I also don't like the way the guns fire as much in this one. It's more than just a visual thing for me. I miss the feel of the E-11, A280c and EE3 in the last game. Everything feels like I'm firing the DMR from halo in this.

I don't have any trouble with having to compensate for recoil, even though that's not necessarily what i wanted from a Battlefront game. The issue i have is the way they implemented the recoil, it feels inconsistent and unpredictable. Resulting in the shooting feeling a bit random. I just don't think it fits the game at all.

I don't see how the recoil is random. The recoil has vertical climb and it is easy to adjust for. The weapons themselves get more inaccurate when you fire which is different from the first game. I think that is were you are saying it is random. However, I don't find it random still. You can't hold the fire button and have the weapon to be accurate almost indefinitely.

This x10000.

It completely feels like bullets rather than blaster bolts. It's really rubbing me the wrong way. But I also don't like the way the guns fire as much in this one. It's more than just a visual thing for me. I miss the feel of the E-11, A280c and EE3 in the last game. Everything feels like I'm firing the DMR from halo in this.

This is depressing me.

t0SI5d4.gif

Going straight to hell for this one.

Heavy class is balanced folks. Doesn't matter that they take 4 or 5 sniper shots and can still kill you at long range.

One of the major complaints for the first game was the the gun-play. Many people thought none of the weapons felt good to use, that the weapons felt weak, and didn't feel that different from each other. Although, there is a difference between the visibility of the projectiles.

If the issue is that you can't see the bolts clearly( I don't have much of a problem with that) then it is not something the DICE would have trouble changing. It is more of a design choice at that point if they don't change it. I get my feedback from the smoke of the hit on the targets and the light of the bolts is just enough for me to see were my shots land. However, I played many shooters that give less information so it is not a big deal to me.

Heavy class is balanced folks. Doesn't matter that they take 4 or 5 sniper shots and can still kill you at long range.

Heavy class is a fucking joke and frustrating. I was just in a match of Strike where I flanked someone, I was 2 feet away from them and they were completely unaware. As assault I pulled out my shotgun, aimed for the head expecting a kill, nope...Heavy starts to turn around, I get another shot off in the chest this time before they even started to shoot at me, and then suddenly before I get my third shot off they killed me.

What the fuck kind of garbage is this?

It made me rage quit, something I rarely do.

So, the officer turret can kill something or its just for decoration

Takes wayyyy too long for it to lock on in its current state. I've watched as people ran across the wide open area the transport rolls down and it didn't start firing until they were almost clear across to the other side.

I enjoyed the first game, and this one seems pretty solid too. Really concerned about the XB1 controller issues though (not allowing people to accept agreement or click anything).

Will the EA Access version allow us to play the SP? I might just use my free trial then to check out the SP and some MP.

prag16

Banned
I think fixing the blaster bolts would be enough for me, even if the actual shooting is slightly over the median.
Yeah, probably. I'll get used to it but this would bring back a little bit more of the satisfaction of landing shots.

Otherwise I think I'll be fine, though not huge on the RNG progression, loot box or not.

Also I see people bemoaning the death of Supremacy and Turning Point, etc. Have they revealed the SPECIFIC galactic assault details yet for all maps? Some may very well work similarly to those BF2015 modes. We already know Hoth will be walker assault again.

JimiNutz

Banned
One of the major complaints for the first game was the the gun-play. Many people thought none of the weapons felt good to use, that the weapons felt weak, and didn't feel that different from each other. Although, there is a difference between the visibility of the projectiles.

If the issue is that you can't see the bolts clearly( I don't have much of a problem with that) then it is not something the DICE would have trouble changing. It is more of a design choice at that point if they don't change it. I get my feedback from the smoke of the hit on the targets and the light of the bolts is just enough for me to see were my shots land. However, I played many shooters that give less information so it is not a big deal to me.

The blaster bolts are definitely less visible so increasing their prominence may improve things. The bolts also seem to travel much faster which also makes them feel more like bullets.

I am used to it now and am getting kills easily but I just don't think it's quite as satisfying.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Never played the first one because of the absurd pricing scheme, but just played a few of the beta modes. This game looks and sounds quite incredible, especially as a Star Wars fan, but I found every moment of the gameplay to be extremely boring. Definitely won't be making a purchase after this unless it turns out the campaign stuff is really interesting.

Like many of you, I wasn't too crazy about it at first and it did seem like a step backwards. But I kept plugging away at it and much like the first BF, it clicked and now I can't get enough of it lol. I find it even more satisfying going on a crazy kill streak in the beta then compared to 1st BF, which for me,is saying alot. Some of the overtime finishes have been such a rush!

I think some of the complaints are def valid tho. The visuals at first seemed a bit of a let down, but the more I play, the more im impressed. The strike map looks unreal at times,much like Endor did, except the iq is not as clean. The CA DEF needs to GO!

But Blaster bolts should be more visible, and galactic assault could use some more ambience that isn't birds or leaves. More chatter, more music, etc. There just seems to be a hint of visual/audio cues missing that seem small on paper but in practice adds up. For example, I never realized how much I liked the announcers/commanders for both teams like in the first BF1. Really added to the arcade feel. I will say I got more wrapped up in the audio on strike, maybe it's bc the first order are more lively then the Droid and clone armies? (Roger Roger)

Also the controls for flight are so jarring and I haven't quite wrapped my head around it. Im an ace pilot in the first, battlefields, gta etc., but this 1 I just feel like I'm wasted and/or high when it gets hectic haha.

For a "beta", it's meaty enough to figure out if it ain't for you, and I can Def see why it's a mixed bag. Im all in though. Loved the first one, and if the maps add the variety they should, think I'll love this one too.

Van Bur3n

My best run with Maul so far (38 'legit' kills and a bunch of assists) also kill 3 Reys in the entirety of it.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Gravemind IV/video/37515212

This is some impressive stuff. Still have yet to play as Maul. Only hero I've played so far is Han Solo and I did pretty decent.

Still think my biggest gripe with the game so far (outside of the star card bullshit) are the heroes. Too few new ones and very little support for Clone Wars era ones.

prag16

Banned
The visuals at first seemed a bit of a let down, but the more I play, the more im impressed. The strike map looks unreal at times,much like Endor did, except the iq is not as clean. The CA DEF needs to GO!

In terms of the visuals, for me, by far the biggest thing is the tv scanline effect. It's total horse shit and destroys the IQ. Even more than the film grain and CA (though those should go too). It's not just in the menus, it's throughout the gameplay. Sitting 6-12 feet away from a TV it isn't particularly noticeable, but sitting 2 feet away from a computer monitor it's painfully noticeable.

I can see the gorgeous game lurking under there, but this nonsense (and to a lesser extent the CA and film grain) is doing its damndest to hide it. Craziest part is BF2015 didn't have any of this (except film grain which wasn't added until a later patch, and had a toggle).

Ferr986

Offtopic but playing Starfighter mode just shows me again how ugly is the X-Wing redesign in TFA, especially the wings :/

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

This x10000.

I second this apt analogy. So disappointed with this beta.

You touched the highest hp class 4 times with body shots man, don't be ridiculous

Just gonna assume you play the heavy class. FYI that's the high powered sniper rifle, don't you realize how silly that sounds?

'Nah man, you need 6 body shots to kill him.. totally in line power wise though'

Probably also skimmed over the fact that he straight up started shooting later and shredded me.

Heavies are ridiculous relative to the others, barring infiltration.

Just gonna assume you play the heavy class. FYI that's the high powered sniper rifle, don't you realize how silly that sounds?

'Nah man, you need 6 body shots to kill him.. totally in line power wise though'

Probably also skimmed over the fact that he straight up started shooting later and shredded me.

He used L1+R1 turret mode. See the blue laser bolts.

You ever play the original Battlefront 2?
To be fair, the ship controls, map layout, and dogfighting are all significantly better in this than the original Battlefront 2. The problem is we're still missing the option to land in the enemy's hangar and sabotage it from the inside.

I'm also kind of confused about how the bomber class works. Is it even actually a bomber? Somtimes I'll get an objective to take out a squad of 2-3 bombers, and I don't get it. Are these AI controlled, or player-controlled? I've also never been given the objective to defend my team's bombers. I've tried piloting a bomber a couple times, and they don't seem to do anymore damage to the objectives than the other two ships do, and the other two ships are generally better in dogfights.

In the original Battlefront 2, I'd go out of my way to pick a bomber so I could deal as much damage to the objective as possible. In this Battlefront 2, I just go with the first choice, because it seems to be the best in every situation possible.

keenerz

Playing on PS4 and man the rubberbanding and lag is out of control for me. I have like gigabit too so I dont know whats going on.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
All I wanted was Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, why is that so complicated
Battlefront 2 feels a lot like Battlefield 1 to me. But maybe everything feels like Battlefield 1 after 200 hours of Battlefield 1.

The filters suck, but it's still easily the best looking multiplayer game of 2017, if not all time. The environmental particle effects are completely bonkers, albeit a bit overdone. And they're using their sexcellent custom screen space reflection technique that they wrote a white paper on two years ago.

I also suspect that they're not rendering full resolution at the edges of the screen. Barely noticeable until you start looking for it. Digital Foundry should take a closer look.

Krentist

Neo Member
Maybe it's better on consoles or something, but the starfighter assault on PC was terrible. Controls were loose and difficult to handle. That was really disappointing for me... I used to be really into the old X-Wing/Tie Fighter games and part of me was hoping for some good space battling here, but...

jacksrb

Hard to have strong opinions for me after only a few hours with it, but my favorite thing so far is that the tweaks to starfighter battles seem well conceived and most importantly PLAYING FROM COCKPIT VIEW IS VIABLE AND FUN!

I am sure others could play that way but the sway and momentum in BF 2015 killed that option for me, even though that is my preferred going back to Rogue Leader, etc.

Sygma

my point is : aim for the head. none of the sniper rifles are good at dealing body damage. Also he was in sentry so yeah

Anyone think there should be a cooldown on hero spawns? Like once a hero dies, no heroes can spawn on that side for 60 seconds or so. Bringing this up because the end of Theed is just nonstop hero spam on both sides. You kill one and another takes its place, so the act of taking one down is hardly rewarding or influential.

Ferr986

I also suspect that they're not rendering full resolution at the edges of the screen. Barely noticeable until you start looking for it. Digital Foundry should take a closer look.

That's probably the CA. The effect is harsher on the sides of the screen and makes it blurrier.

Maybe it's better on consoles or something, but the starfighter assault on PC was terrible. Controls were loose and difficult to handle. That was really disappointing for me... I used to be really into the old X-Wing/Tie Fighter games and part of me was hoping for some good space battling here, but...

I'm on consoles and I hate the new starfighter controls but I'm clearly in the minority :/

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
star fighters are fine only use w and s to throttle up and down (or left stick up and down i think dont play the console version) and the rest is all mouse look to steer around never roll unless you are trying to dodge youll do much much better

That's disappointing to hear. The ground combat didn't seem appealing to me from feedback in this thread, but like you I've really wanted a new take on the old SW space combat games. Floaty controls doesn't strike that chord.

Klocker

What the hell is in M45 why do I keep dying from it instantly and where can I get one?

It's obvious this game worse than others and overpowering people who play Non-Stop and who get loot box after Loop box.
it's ridiculous really. what happened to multiplayer balance?

all of a sudden everybody's got to have a better weapon than everyone else is stupid

That's disappointing to hear. The ground combat didn't seem appealing to me from feedback in this thread, but like you I've really wanted a new take on the old SW space combat games. Floaty controls doesn't strike that chord.

I can tell you that as someone who's disappointed with the ground gameplay, I actually started to really enjoy space combat after I played a couple rounds and got better with the controls. Eventually it just kind of clicks and you're able to pull off some crazy manuvers. It's definitely a good time. The bomber class is certainly my favorite because you can really help out with objectives.

Battlefront 2 feels a lot like Battlefield 1 to me. But maybe everything feels like Battlefield 1 after 200 hours of Battlefield 1.

The filters suck, but it's still easily the best looking multiplayer game of 2017, if not all time. The environmental particle effects are completely bonkers, albeit a bit overdone. And they're using their sexcellent custom screen space reflection technique that they wrote a white paper on two years ago.

And you’ve played Battlefield 1? This feels nothing like battlefield 1. In terms of gameplay in Battlefield you can get out of the vehicle without it exploding right away. The maps are way more open and the fact that there’s more than one objective per map makes it so that people explore a lot more. Having different classes too that provide help for other players also makes it so that players play more together as a team. Like dropping ammo or health, etc.

In this game if you get out of a tank your tank explodes, hum......ok. Spawn in a starship and you can’t even get out of it.... guns feel terrible, Assault feels terrible, The naboo map and that whole game mode is terribly designed. You can spawn in as a tank if you have enough points but you can only go in the middle of the map where there’s literally no one fighting.......hum ok.

The only reason people are excited is because it’s Star Wars, otherwise the gameplay is subpar and it feels like a noobified battlefield. Is it better than the first one yes, but the first one was shit so what does that say. Terribly disappointed with this game and in dice.

The Whole reason that we were excited that dice were making battlefront was because of how good they are at making battlefield. And what do they do, they go out of their way to make it play nothing like Battlefield..... These guys are so stupid...

Top Bottom