• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II |BETA| Execute Pre-Order 66

HiiiLife

I like this more than the first, BF4 and BF1. But I still can’t see myself purchasing it. Maybe a rent to just try the Jedi battles.

Also. Third person view is so good and easy to use lol.

prag16

Banned
Man, I wonder if they'll regret doing a beta even. Dozens of pages of sizzling hot takes based on a months-old build with two maps.

I personally like it so far and my preorder is safe. But anecdotally here seems like they're killing more preorders than they're gaining, rightfully or wrongfully.

Man, I wonder if they'll regret doing a beta even. Dozens of pages of sizzling hot takes based on a months-old build with two maps.

I personally like it so far and my preorder is safe. But anecdotally here seems like they're killing more preorders than they're gaining, rightfully or wrongfully.

I was interested in the game prior to the beta. It killed my interest within 3 matches. It's just not that fun, map is bad and the shooting is even worse.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

DICE just can't win, going by receptions in GAF, Reddit and other places you can see people wanting to be a Battlefield re-skin, people that want it to be like the previous game, people that like how it is, etc. It's very hard to DICE to approach such mixed feedback.

arimanius

I thought the first game was way to simplistic and dumb down and needed to be more like battlefield. After playing this beta I wish they stuck to the first one formula. The beta just feels like a step a step backwards and nothing feels good.

I for one love starfighter assault, and I'll be buying the game on the strength of that alone. Hurtling around the map hugging close to the capital ships for cover, flitting in and out of the hangers... it just feels so fucking good.

HelloMeow

I've played one round of strike and it seems pointless. It almost takes longer for the game to begin that you're actually playing it.

I'm missing game modes where you can actually do something by yourself rather than just "oh, you can't do that yet, walk there, do the thing".

Mugenjin

DICE just can't win, going by receptions in GAF, Reddit and other places you can see people wanting to be a Battlefield re-skin, people that want it to be like the previous game, people that like how it is, etc. It's very hard to DICE to approach such mixed feedback.

/thread

Its Battlefront in name only and so far this is even further from Battlefront than 1 was.
Its not even a good version of Battlefield's Rush from Bad Company.

The_Shepherd

Neo Member
Was a big fan of the 2015 Battlefront. Put over 100 hours into it so my impression of this game has been worse than I thought it was going to be, mainly due to differences in aiming and movement. I found myself struggling to hit opponents and I'm pretty reliant on zooming in to hit most targets in this game. That said I've gotten more used to the controls and my most recent games have been a lot of fun.

The Theed map is strange how restrictive it feels and the third phase is a nightmare when there are explosions, gunfire, and lightsabers all over the place. It's a bigger clusterfuck than Sabotage on Carbontie Feezing-Chamber. Compared to 2015 Battlefront's beta with Walker Assault on Hoth, this game mode and map are a huge downgrade.

Flight controls are not enjoyable at all. I feel like I'm fighting the camera half the time. I'll need more time to adjust to the change but it's a change that I don't feel like was necessary. I do like that aiming requires more skill and the objectives are cool.

I was considering canceling my preorder after the first two days but like I said it's gotten better as I've gotten more used to the changes in the controls so I'll still get it for now. Hopefully the other game modes and maps will be better than what is being shown here.

Rodelero

Having put a fair bit of time into the game I'm definitely feeling more postive than most here. The beta is a long way from perfect but it's done more than enough to encourage me to buy the game at launch.

Starfighter Assault is the big surprise for me. It's jawdroppingly awesome. It sounds incredible, looks incredible, and feels absolutely incredible. It took me a good while to find controls I was happy with (I settled on default sticks, inverted flight, advanced flight, and 10% response curve) but once I did I was basically in love with this mode. Compared to the the simplistic and weird flight in the previous game this just feels so free and so right. I'm really enjoying the variety of craft too - it feels like a far more interesting choice than that provided in the 2015 game with the tank like bombers, nimble interceptors and versatile fighters. Where the previous game was dominated by the automatic lock on mechanics this feels a lot more pure, a lot more skill based, and the satisfaction of nailing a few kills, or shaking a missile feels really clear.

As for Galactic Assault, I'm enjoying my time here too though I think the map/mode could do with some tweaking. The map feels too big to begin with and too small to end with, and both elements can be quite frustrating in different ways. It's not uncommon to spend a minute or so looking for a fight only to get shot in the back by someone that managed to flank through one of the map's too many routes.

One thing that I think everyone should be aware of going into this game is that really it is a third person game. Where the 2015 Battlefront felt good from either perspective I'm really not a fan of how the game looks and plays in first person. The changes around aiming and shooting have in many respects lead to a deeper third person game but they have hurt the first person game a lot. Though I like that there seems to be more noticeable gun variety in this game and that the guns are less easy to control, I'm not really on board with the general change from the slow projectiles to the fast ones - this has if anything simplified some aspects of the gunplay and blatantly made it more similar to other shooters - nor the aiming changes - I preferred it when you could move at full speed whether or not you were aiming down sights and when you could aim at full accuracy whether or not you were aiming down sights.

Having said that there are some really substantial improvements here. The class system adds a great deal of depth and play style options and I have to say I enjoy all of the four classes. Some of the comments in here about which classes are good/bad are hilariously off base, particularly with regards to the heavy being the only good one. I've had great games with all four classes and will continue to play each. I'm a huge fan of the change up to the way that heroes (plus vehicles and reinforcement units) are distributed. This feels like the best system of any Battlefield/Battlefront game so far - they feel like genuine rewards for playing well and playing the objective. I do think there are some issues around how survivable these characters can be, I've gone on some outrageous streaks with heroes and reinforcement units, and this can lead to characters being hogged which isn't ideal. The system also might lead to people not spawning so that they can ensure getting the hero they want when they become available, which would really suck. I wonder if DICE could implement some kind of reservation system where you 'reserve' an already used hero so that, when they die, you can immediately take their place. Either way, this system feels closer than any previous one to what I actually want.

I'm also a big fan of the new squad spawning system though I think it may be responsible to some of the weirdness in the first phase of the Theed map. I'm a little perplexed about the 'stick near your squadmates for points' given that there is no indication this works nor any indication who your squadmates are, but I generally like the fact you spawn with a group rather than on your own and I'm delighted that DICE have moved away from the squad spawning/partner spawning nonsense from previous games which felt completely unrealistic and quite often unfair. There are a couple of changes which would perhaps be nice - like prioritising spawning people with their party members and ensuring that people aren't put in squads with vehicles would be good.

There's a lot of other things I'm a fan of here too. I like that they've reduced the game mode numbers down as, even at launch Battlefront had too many modes and once you added the DLC in there it was just total chaos and confusion. This concept of having Galactic Assault and Starfighter Assault change radically from map to map is really smart and one just has to hope the map/mode design is good across the board. So far I'm not finding the star card system too concerning from a pay to win point of view. It's hard to know, given that the rarities aren't representative, but I get the feeling that the gap between someone paying and someone not will be subtle enough that I can tolerate it easily - it's more than worth it for the free maps and community that will always be kept together.

Ultimately I'm liking this game a lot, will definitely buy it and I'm sure I'll get some good value out of it. Despite the general negativity in this thread DICE have made a lot of smart decisions with this sequel and I think, in time, people will start to see that.

Coolluck

I haven't touched the MP portion of this yet, but the single-player improvements to bots is enough for me to grab it even if the MP turns out to be awful.

lordkosc

I sunk about 60 hours into the first one, even played most of the DLC map packs, except the last one (Rogue One maps?). BF2 beta just feels like they improved the game doing what people asked for.

Maybe I am just old and can't tell the difference, but the shooting seems fine.

I sunk about 60 hours into the first one, even played most of the DLC map packs, except the last one (Rogue One maps?). BF2 beta just feels like they improved the game doing what people asked for.

Maybe I am just old and can't tell the difference, but the shooting seems fine.
I sunk about 200 hours into the 2015 one and this one just feels off.

I think it's the combination of the blaster bolts being too small, the slight hipfire penalty, and the slight shooting while moving penalty.

So to follow up on my previous post:

I've been spending the last couple days bouncing between the PC (gtx970) and PS4Pro versions of the beta.
Controls didn't feel quite the same on console as on my PC, too. I thought maybe it might be that console HDR was adding input lag. However, I've played other HDR games and never noticed anything significant so that would be weird. My TV with HDR on should be at around ~40ms which is acceptable. Then I turned HDR off and started the game and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I do have game mode on as I always do. Then I thought maybe it was a framerate difference, but apparently the beta runs at 60fps on pro so it's not that either. Stuttering maybe?
Anyone else tried out both PC and PS4 and found PC controls (with a controller) to be at all different feeling? Somethings up and I can't nail it down.

And of course the answer is that I'm a doofus, however it comes with some advice. I didn't remember that on PC I had fiddled with the controller settings, I thought I had left them default. I highly recommend the below:

Once I brought the deadzone down to 10% and brought up the response curves a bit, things were feeling great again on Pro just like I had apparently done on PC. I really suggest people trying the same, it makes the controls feel a lot snappier and responsive. Leaving it default feels a little stuck in the mud. Shooting feels so much better this way.

Other thoughts on PC vs PS4Pro: The main Pro benefit for me is HDR. The lighting and colors look much more natural and places that tend to crush or blow out a bit on PC are visible and nuanced on Pro. More natural looking. The main benefit of PC? Shadow quality stuck out to me a lot. Shadows are sharp and detailed on PC, they look like shit on PS4 in comparison.
The space battles gameplay is where the shadow quality stands out the most because you're spending the game staring at hard lines and edges in harsh directional lighting. I really hope they can bump up shadow quality on pro before release. It makes the ships look so much more real.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just downloaded and tried the Beta

Was on Defend as Stormtrooper on Naboo map

Good stuff, one thing, the enemy Robots "Roger, Roger", why do the blend so well into the environments

Like sometimes they mesh into buildings and I get killed, see them right next to me

It's like hey lets make them the same color as the surrounding environments, where is the harm in that

Rodelero

Good stuff, one thing, the enemy Robots "Roger, Roger", why do the blend so well into the environments

Like sometimes they mesh into buildings and I get killed, see them right next to me

It's like hey lets make them the same color as the surrounding environments, where is the harm in that

Well in a lot of ways, there's no harm in that. It's an asymmetric game mode where the teams have various advantages and disadvantages. One side being more visible is arguably fine. I would say that I find it much easier to pick out enemies in third person than first person. There's something not quite right about the first person across the board in this game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

This was the same advantage rebels had on Endor in the first game.

roytheone

Goddamn the CA effect in this game is HORRIBLE. It totally ruins an otherwise great looking game and makes it look straight up ugly imo. You can't even disable it on pc for some reason.

hollomat

Banned
Loving the game so far. Battlefront 1 was too dumbed down for me so I’m glad they’ve made this one more complex. Day one for sure.

Just realized that you can enable "Advanced Flight" in the Controls options. It allows for manual rolls to be more precise and doesn't adjust the ship to the horizon after rolling. Flying feels even better.

Bauer91

Unpopular opinion but besides the bad performance on PS4 which really bothers me, I've been having a ton of fun with this beta. I liked the first game and this one feels different for sure, but it's still really fun.

Unpopular opinion but besides the bad performance on PS4 which really bothers me, I've been having a ton of fun with this beta. I liked the first game and this one feels different for sure, but it's still really fun.

The performance and visuals will be better when the game launches. It has always been this way for DICE's multiplayer betas.

Bauer91

The performance and visuals will be better when the game launches. It has always been this way for DICE's multiplayer betas.

Haven't played the beta for the first one but hope that's the case. If they can fix the pop in and stuttering, this game could be really good.

F-Pina

I don't know if has been asked before but I can't seem to pick up any packages in any mode. Is there some secret way? I checked the controls, it says "square" but it does not work. Thanks in advance, this all sounds so idiotic :(

mazillion

Skipped this first Battlefront due to lack of content. Battlefront 2 looks to have the content but I'm just not feeling it. I wish it was just the original Battlefront 2 but with HD visuals and the new star wars content.

The graphics also look really ugly imo (playing on PC). It's kind of an eye sore.

Dinda

I'm really not into shooters these days, and i also didn't get into the the first game, i own the ultimate edition and tried a few times but it never really worked for me.

For whatever reason i really like this game though. I was gonna play it anyway for the campaign, but i think it is the greatly improved 3rd person view that makes this better for me. The Theed map isn't great, but if the other maps are better i may actually play this a bit in multiplayer, something that i really very very rarely do. I still would love to have skirmish or instant action back.

The real star here however is Starfighter Assault. I really love that in this game. Hope we have a lot of maps.
Good work Criterion! Hope Motive has also done a great job with the campaign and i could be very happy with this game.

Having said all that, i too would really like this to be a real "old" battlefield/front game like the the first Battlefields and Front games, where i could hop into a fighter shoot something, land and take a vehicle and so on. And all this also availabe with bots/Split Screen.
Why o why did those games abandon this....Especially games like Battlefront that are clearly ment for the more casual crowd should still be that way.......

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I don't know if has been asked before but I can't seem to pick up any packages in any mode. Is there some secret way? I checked the controls, it says "square" but it does not work. Thanks in advance, this all sounds so idiotic :(

you hold down the button until the circle fills up

JaMarco

I found enabling advanced flight controls and turning off auto roll made space combat 100x better. It's near where the sensitivity settings are.

I played about four hours so far and I love it. People forget that in the first battlefront beta the hoth map was an unbalanced nightmare and they fixed it. Do some googling. Dice takes feedback well. As for gun play, feels good to me, doesn't feel wildly different from first one but I play a lot of battlefield and it's more in that direction.

Game runs fantastic in my 1080.
What does advanced flight controls do?

This went from my most anticipated game of the year to a game i probably won't even buy. The gunplay just doesn't feel right. It feels, unpredictable? Giving The guns more recoil is fine, but not when it makes the shooting feel random. The maps in the beta are also unbelievably bad, and you'd think they would show off the best ones?

Let's hope they make some major changes to the overall gunplay. If not, I'll probably pass on this one ;(

Weapons have more going for them. You have to compensate for the recoil and the increased projectile spread if you fire for too long. You can't treat the weapons the same like you can in the first game since these weapons have their own patterns.

LoveCake

Did you play the first game? I loved the first but this BETA is more than likely going to have me pull my pre-order.

Why do people want it to be just a Star Wars skinned Battlefield when that game is very divisive, if people want to play Battlefield then buy Battlefield, I don't like Battlefield and I played Battlefront to death, this sequel is nothing like the first game and I am not liking it, also if you picked up the original game late on (months or years later) you still had a good chance in the games as the best weapons were the ones you get from the start, i was level 100 with hundreds of hours in the first game and my go-to weapons were the A280C and E11, I did use the CJ-9 Bo-Rifle all the time once it was released though, but with this class system that everyone wanted (I honestly don't know why) and the loot-boxes that buff the weapons it is going to be so hard for somebody to get into the game months down the line, so if you want to play the game then you have to buy it at launch or within a month from release.

The original with all of it's flaws was basically fun to play, it was easy, quick and simple, what seems to have happened is that EA/DICE have listened to the critics of the original but seemingly not enough for those people and at the same time alienated the people that liked the original.

I am playing the BETA but I think my pre-order will be cancelled and I will see what the reaction is on release.

GnomeBambino

Neo Member
Spent a few hours playing last night. I walked away from it pretty soured. As is already being widely discussed the implementation of blind boxes or "loot boxes" doesn't sit well with me. As far as I can tell opening these boxes is the only way to acquire new items and abilities. Some of which appear to give you advantages over other players. For example I acquired a card that gave my fighter class ships increased damage on their primary weapons. No cool-downs or trade offs just a straight boost in weapon damage. I don't see how this is anything other than a "pay-to-win" system if it allows players who acquire more boxes the potential to have those kinds of advantages over other players. Seeing how the fastest way to acquire more crates will be to spend real money on them. The gameplay on offer still feels very stiff. I'm still bothered by the way the weapons handle, projectile deviation feels random and out of your control making the weapons unsatisfying to use. The visual presentation is excellent but what else do we expect from DICE? This is not a game I will be buying.

Marc

Not really.

I think if it were more like battlefield, I'd love it. If it were more like the arcadey battlefronts, I'd love it. But it has this weird mish mash of both that just doesn't work very well, just makes it very meh. You would definitely alienate some of the audience who prefer one or the other, For those that like both, it satisfies neither. It should be more like the original battlefronts since that's its name and why reskin battlefield anyway. But I'd understand cloning battlefield from a studio perspective, and I love that game (barring servers).

Playing more has not helped my opinion, coming across more and more issues with it. Although playing the arcade mode, I think the performance issues I'm seeing are server related.

I was fairly ambivalent to the gun play, but switched to battlefield and realized that yeah it isn't very good. Something very off about it. I prefer the original game. I think the slowness of movement is contributing to the gun play feeling poor. Like I said, some weird mutant half breed of game designs.

They need to do something about the film grain.

It's killing the image quality. Reduce this shit 80% or toggle off on the menu.

I'm impressed with the overall graphics bump, but not enjoying the pop in right on my face. Bf1 and Battlefront 1 wasn't like this. They also need to address this quickly.

Weapons have more going for them. You have to compensate for the recoil and the increased projectile spread if you fire for too long. You can't treat the weapons the same like you can in the first game since these weapons have their own patterns.

I don't have any trouble with having to compensate for recoil, even though that's not necessarily what i wanted from a Battlefront game. The issue i have is the way they implemented the recoil, it feels inconsistent and unpredictable. Resulting in the shooting feeling a bit random. I just don't think it fits the game at all.

MrDaravon

Plan on playing a good chunk this weekend, some thoughts after maybe 4-5 hours with it (no Starfighter play).

-Shooting feels different (obviously), can't tell if it's better or worse. I do agree with the complaint that it's honestly kind of hard to see your shots hitting, it really does feel like you're shooting bullets and not lasers etc.

-They really need to change how they determine the 5 accolades/MVPs postgame; they've gone from 3 in the last game to 5 in this one but it's still just the same 1-2 people getting all 5 now instead of just the 3. Seems pointless.

-Officer feels useless right now; if you're going to have him suck blaster-wise as a class staple that's fine, but right now his support stuff all feels useless and is not rewarding gameplay or points-wise.

-Alternatively right now Heavies are way too good, and Infiltration on Specialist is also ridiculous.

-I hope in the final game there's more options in-between games to view challenges, craft mods etc. Even in the last game until you actually chose to load into the next match you could see and re-roll your challenges etc, and outside of the one base Challenges scree on the post-game screen you can choose there doesn't seem to be any other options.

I'm enjoying it, but it's not exactly what I was expecting, in some ways good and some ways bad. I feel like I really need time with the final game, right now in the Beta almost all of my matches are compelte shitshows one way or the other, and I still haven't gotten a chance to get any kind of feel for most of the special units/heroes since I seem to die in 2 seconds with them. The game feels kind of inconsistent with damage taken and received, but I'm not sure how much of that is the blaster fire issue mentioned above.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I actually got drastically better at this beta since yesterday. I'm kinda fond of how shootings works here now, albeit the guns still lacking the audiovisual punch.

That said, Galactic Assault on Theed definitely needs rebalancing somehow. I can't help but feel that there were too many quick sweep matches regardless of which side I was on.

aly

Can darth maul deflect bullets???

If not, why

The one thing jedi and sith should be doing with their saber.

I guess they wanted to balance it somehow? Offense wise he's way better than Rey imo but it's pretty dumb that he can't block.

Top Bottom