• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront: PS4 is outdoing Xbox and PC combined [in concurrency numbers]

Nokterian

You know fallout isnt a MP game. Fallout will be abandoned in 1-2 weeks when everyone finished it finally.

Battlefront will receive its first DLC in two weeks. And i see a lot of people waiting until christmas to get it.

Jump into a Halo thread? Wtf is this argument now? You are jumping into a Battlefront topic and saying shit.
Stop going off the line if you dont have any arguments. Srsly.

Fallout like skyrim will be big on PC because MODS.

It has and more depending on the time of day.

It can still be that, it's currently close and this is only based on European DICE player base off hours. A full 24 hour cycle and I don't think it's unlikely that PS4 > Xbone x 2

do we know when it started tracking? The game has been out for 24 hours in europe already so peaks should reflect europe numbers as well.

The game is a lot of fun, but like most said its only playable in bursts.There is a HUGE amount of content that feels like it was missing and or rushed out to be ahead of Episode VII.

Which is absolutely fine. But at the end of the day, it feels like it doesn't have the same progression hooks that something like Battlefield or even CoD has. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

Also, can we stop comparing this to FO4. While I think that game is as mediocre as shit, it has the legs to last until FO5 for the people who love that game/franchise. That is just an undeniable fact.

Battlefront was designed to make money and reach out to as many people possible during this massive Star Wars craze that's happening right now. That's the only reason I bought it. The numbers will probably increase during Christmas and probably jump up and down during DLC releases and as long as DICE/EA continue to work on it, it will be thrive hopefully.

SparkTR

So that's some special kind of audience?

They play all kinds of shooters, so saying that some game is "too shallow for pc gamers" is nonsense.

Tons of casual games are popular on pc.

The casual games on PC usually don't cost $60+$30 season pass.

I meant on average.
I thought the peak numbers on PS4 would be at least double those on XB1.

I expected peak numbers to be around 300k concurrent on a single platform. The fact that it only reached that with all combined is surprising as hell.

The casual games on PC usually don't cost $60+$30 season pass.

I expected peak numbers to be around 300k concurrent on a single platform. The fact that it only reached that with all combined is surprising as hell.

Yes, and very telling indeed. It's not as if the title has a significant SP trappings to somewhat mask the numbers. Unless these numbers are all players, regardless of mode, in which case, ouch.

Those concurrent numbers seem low to me. I mean they're really good on their own but much less impressive when you compare them to other big games this holiday and the fact that it's Star Wars.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Is the consensus that Battlefront will sell better than Hardline? Only a measly 20k currently playing Hardline but what was it like on launch?
It will sell better.

Hardline was pegged at 1/3rd mainline Battlefield numbers by EA and Battlefront is closer to 2/3rd mainline Battlefield numbers, even with a forecast increase by EA after the beta. (~80%)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Those concurrent numbers seem low to me. I mean they're really good on their own but much less impressive when you compare them to other big games this holiday and the fact that it's Star Wars.

Okay, so how do the numbers compare to the other big games this holiday?

Okay, so how do the numbers compare to the other big games this holiday?

CpOGxbI.png

That's Fallout 4 just on PC right now

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I had fun with the beta, but hearing how the PC version is sorta bombing is making me hesitate on ever buying this game later when the price goes down if there isn't enough players still playing at that time.

I always find it funny how some people are always downplaying low PC numbers. If a game sells well on PC it shows the greatness of the platform, if a game doesn't sell on PC it's because 'the PC people are more demanding' and 'CS GO takes sales away' etc. (Such as a while ago when some racing game didn't sell well and people said the exact same things.)

Seen this exact thing many times over and over again. Some people really like to make excuses for what?
lol. Downplaying? You don't have to downplay when PC has these numbers.

The game is a lot of fun, but like most said its only playable in bursts.There is a HUGE amount of content that feels like it was missing and or rushed out to be ahead of Episode VII.

I'd say the game's biggest weakness is actually its oversimplification of control which ends up hollowing out its long-term appeal even more than a lack of pure content, which most serious players will likely address with that season pass and its DLC. Still, the sugar-shock of its gobsmackingly gorgeous look and authentic audio-visuals helps conceal that issue, at least for a dozen hours or so. They'll ride the movie's hypetrain all the way to the bank.

evilr

Banned
It will sell better.

Hardline was pegged at 1/3rd mainline Battlefield numbers by EA and Battlefront is closer to 2/3rd mainline Battlefield numbers, even with a forecast increase by EA after the beta. (~80%)

Ah right. The reason I ask is because of the possibility that EA may change the strategy, perhaps by slashing the price of the season pass due to less than expected sales. They par'd the course with Hardline so I am less inclined to suggest they will alter Battlefront pricing.

Jumeira

Banned
It should do, its the lead console with sales. X1 is doing pretty well too. Seems reflective of the install base in the West

benny_a

In the Fallout 4 launch window PC had concurrent peaks higher than all of these combined?
Okay, and not being above Fallout 4 PC concurrent peaks at night in Europe for a multiplayer only shooter means it's doing terrible.

That pretty much means most packaged full price games are doing terrible.

Edit: I'm assuming the terribleness comes from the perspective that this game is doing terrible in sales, not that there is some kind of problem finding a 10-40 player match.

Okay, and not being above Fallout 4 PC concurrent peaks at night in Europe for a multiplayer only shooter means it's doing terrible.

That pretty much means most packaged full price games are doing terrible.

It's 4 PM right now in europe (+/-1h) and fallout is just as affected by the time of day also the entire premise is comparatively.

Yup it's pretty much instant for the main modes.

It's pretty much instant on PC too.

I assume it's the same for all platforms, there's enough player base basically even in the smallest one.

Really love the game, don't care what other PC gamers say, this is an absolute blast, and I like it more than BF3/4.

I like how bullets/lasers don't travel instantly in this game, and everything is so less rapid fire, it makes mid-range and close-range gameplay so much more viable than sniping.

Makes for so much more an engaging game that doesn't reward camping and sniping so much. Rarely do I notice that camping is viable in this game. Even the heroes and vehicles system is anti-camping.

Plus in BF games it's almost always who sees who first gets a kill because TTK is so low and all weapons shoot so fast, I much rather the TTK in Battlefront, and it's much easier to stomach because most weapons shoot so slowly.

I am not disputing that you can't compare numbers.

Maybe you should rephrase what exactly you're trying to establish and what you feel I'm disputing.

The numbers were always compared to Fallout 4, they are terrible compared to Fallout. The time of day has nothing to do with that since it would affect both titles and you can compare numbers 1:1 both concurrent and peak.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's pretty much instant on PC too.

I assume it's the same for all platforms, there's enough player base basically even in the smallest one.

Really love the game, don't care what other PC gamers say, this is an absolute blast, and I like it more than BF3/4.

It's fucked in Australia on PC. Lunch time on a Saturday I could not find and connect to a single match below 170ms ping (thus unplayable). Numerous game modes had not enough players to start the round. Tonight it took me half an hour of connecting to matches of Walker Assault and Supremacy until I finally landed in one of the latter with a local 35ms ping.

I'm sure it's different around the world, but not being able to at the very least lock matchmaking to exclusively regional servers is inexcusable and borderlines on broken given this is multiplayer centric game. On Battlefield 4 I can browse a server that caters to my needs in my preferred game mods and maps. And if my preference is full or unavailable, I can search elsewhere while confident the match I'm connecting to is of a playable ping. Starting a match in Battlefront is rolling a dice as to whether or not it will be playable.

It's fucked in Australia on PC. Lunch time on a Saturday I could not find and connect to a single match below 170ms ping (thus unplayable). Numerous game modes had not enough players to start the round. Tonight it took me half an hour of connecting to matches of Walker Assault and Supremacy until I finally landed in one of the latter with a local 35ms ping.

I'm sure it's different around the world, but not being able to at the very least lock matchmaking to exclusively regional servers is inexcusable and borderlines on broken given this is multiplayer centric game. On Battlefield 4 I can browse a server that caters to my needs in my preferred game mods and maps. And if my preference is full or unavailable, I can search elsewhere while confident the match I'm connecting to is of a playable ping. Starting a match in Battlefront is rolling a dice as to whether or not it will be playable.

Oh damn sorry to hear that :(

I'm in US so here is good, that sucks though man :(
There are more PC's out there than Ps4's!!
Hahahaha lmao XD

So true how this is use so faultily in so many pointless platform arguments :D

benny_a

The numbers were always compared to Fallout 4, they are terrible compared to Fallout. The time of day has nothing to do with that since it would affect both titles.
And when I say "What does terrible" means, I just get the repetition that the numbers are terrible.

Okay, I admit defeat. Congratulation on affirming the consequent.

Top Bottom